Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

InnsbruckFlyer
Topic Author

Would you fly a low cost airline on a flight over 6 hours?

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 am

I am working on a research paper, and my research question is regarding the failure of low cost airlines when expanding into long-haul operations. In order to collect data and gather public opinion, I would like to ask you some questions. Since I have quite a few questions, I will post a new question every 3 days. My first question is the following: would you fly a low cost airline on a flight over 6 hours? If yes, why, and if no, why not? I'm eager to see your responses!
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

dredgy

Re: Would you fly a low cost airline on a flight over 6 hours?

Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:27 am

Have done it multiple times. Flights always seemed full. In economy class there's pretty much no difference from a full service airline except you pay for food.

I usually fly business class on full-service airlines, but for a while I was based out of an airport where it was either take an LLC or spend 2 hours on public transport to get to a different airport. In business class LLCs make little sense, but I picked up some AirAsia flatbeds for like a $150 upgrade a few times.

RyanairGuru

Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:12 pm

I've done one longhaul trip on an LCC: Jetstar SYD-HNL return (~10 hours each way).

I would ordinarily have a strong preference for a full service carrier on flights over about 4 hours, but JQ were in the region of $1000 cheaper return than HA and $1500 cheaper than QF (this was in peak season, school holidays etc). For those prices it seemed madness not to give them a go.

I opted for the "Plus" package, which includes 20 kgs checked baggage, seat selection, Qantas frequent flyer points, meals, and tea, coffee and water. That added a couple of hundred dollars, but meant that I had a "full service" experience, apart from having to pay onboard for alcoholic beverages and IFE, neither of which I bothered to pay for. Even after adding in the Plus package I still saved over $700 each.

Would I do it again? Absolutely ... if the price is right, by which I mean saving hundreds of dollars. For $50 I'm going with the full service carrier. Since that one time with Jetstar I've always been able to find good enough deals on other airlines to not fly a longhaul LCC again, but I'm definitely not opposed to doing so.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jplatts

Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:52 pm

I would like to travel to HNL from DAL on WN with a connection through SJC, even though the travel time is approximately 11 hours on the way there and almost 10 hours on the way back to DAL. WN is also charging lower fares for DAL-HNL than AA is on DFW-HNL nonstop flights, with WN charging $440 on DAL-HNL with a connection through SJC vs. AA charging $600 on DFW-HNL nonstop flights.

TheEuphorian

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:02 pm

Depending on the product:

If there's no PTVs, but they have flatbeds, like Airasia X's Premium Flatbeds or JAL's Zipair with their PTV-less reverse herringbone seats, its still okay to give up the PTV for a flatbed.

If there's PTV's but only recliner seats for a premium product, like Norwegian and Jetstar on their 787 fleet, its still worth it

If there's none of both, like Scoot's 787 fleet, not worth it.

VSMUT

Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:58 pm

For private travel/holidays, no. If I can't afford anything other than low cost, I'd rather just stay home or find something closer to home.

For business, if my employer tells me to do it, I would, but not without protesting and attempting to find better alternatives.

But note that I am working on the presumption that it is a Wizz Air/Ryanair/EasyJet style low cost flight in a completely basic, jammed in like sardines 737/A320, and not a Norwegian/Scoot/Jetstar 787 in the premium class.

eurotrader85

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:07 pm

In a word NO. I feel LCC can prosper on short haul as people will put up with the usual LCC crap for an hour or two, but six? Forget it. A bit of 'normal' comfort is required.

Personally I use LCC only on personal short haul for an hour or so, when they are the only practical option for the point to point route, but if there are better options I would pay the difference. Short haul business, I would never consider it. Long Haul, I wouldn't ever consider a LCC option for personal or business purposes.

I always think LCCs lose out on the economics of long haul verses short haul, or at least the cost difference they can pass on is reduced. Forget DY selling seats at a loss, but LCCs rely on multiple tight turnarounds, negotiating low fees with airports, bagging a bit on fees etc. Competing on long haul, the plane is in the air longer, fuel costs the same in a DY 787 verses a BA 787 etc etc. The percentile change in costs is a lot less, plus there is no F and J seats ramming up revenue at the front of the plane. The only area I see LCC long haul working is with super price conscious customers on routes where there is already a lot of traffic, so they can nick a few vacation Y pax off the back from a full service carrier. Not exciting from a sustainable business perspective.

jetwet1

Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:15 pm

I flew Norwegian many times LAX - LGW/CDG, though in premium, I actually really liked them and from the way the prices went up I'm guessing I wasn't alone with that.

Only issue I ever had with them was the food, it was either good or dire, no in between.

PITingres

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:31 pm

"Low cost airline" is not a single unitary thing. WOW was considered an LCC and I was perfectly comfortable on a few 6+ hour flights on their metal. It depends on the seat layout on that particular leg. I wouldn't fly an under-29" pitch, 16+ inch width sardine can for 6 hours.

So the answer to this one for me would be "it depends".
Fly, you fools! Fly!

PatrickZ80

Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Yes, I would and I have done so.

A few years ago I did a trip to Los Angeles. Being from the Netherlands, there were no direct low-cost flights to Los Angeles. But it didn't matter as there were flights to/from other European airports that could be reached cheap and in time. It meant I had to self-transfer, but that was no problem. I've self-transferred a lot and never had any problems.

Norwegian had a cheap flight from Copenhagen to Los Angeles departing around noon, which was great. Transavia had an early morning flight from Eindhoven to Copenhagen, so I could be there in time to catch the Norwegian flight to Los Angeles. I know, Amsterdam is closer to my home but if I can save a few bucks by flying from Eindhoven then I will. I had a few hours to spend in Copenhagen, which I used to get a good hot meal prior to departure. Norwegian charged €35 for a meal on board, no way I'm going to pay that if I can have a meal at the airport for around €10. I had some sandwiches packed in my hand luggage for on the flight, but I did buy some drinks on board. It all went pretty smooth.

For the return flight Norwegian had a cheap flight from Los Angeles to Barcelona, which arrived late afternoon. That's fine since a few hours later in the evening Transavia had a flight from Barcelona to Eindhoven making the circle complete again. Again I had a meal at the airport prior to departure and brought some sandwiches on board. In Barcelona I had a meal at the airport again.

I didn't have any checked luggage for this trip, it was hand luggage only. That also saved a considerable amount of money. I always pick the cheapest option, no "pay more get more" deals for me. I don't care about getting more, but I do care about paying more.

Long haul low cost can certainly work, but it's not connecting city to city. It's connecting continent to continent. It only works if the flight can scrape together enough (self)transfer passengers together to fill up. And since for low-cost passengers the price is leading, those feeder flights shouldn't cost too much. Preferably they're on short haul LCCs, so you want to fly your long haul LCC flights out of an airport with enough short haul LCC presence. There don't have to be interlining agreements or anything like that, passengers will mix and match their own trip together through self-transfer. You only need to fly into the same airports, that's enough.

Before COVID-19 came about, Scoot flew into Athens and Berlin from Singapore. I have looked into those flights, but there were a number of downsides which kept me from booking. The flights from Athens were always cheaper than the ones from Berlin, so I specially looked into the Athens flights. There were some low-cost flights from the Netherlands to Athens on Ryanair and Transavia, but they all arrived in the afternoon or evening. It would mean I would have to spend the night in Athens to catch the Scoot flight the next morning, not exactly a desirable option. And in Berlin they picked the wrong airport. They flew from Tegel, and there were no low-cost flights from the Netherlands to Berlin Tegel. So that didn't work out either.

Had Scoot flown from Budapest to Singapore for example, it would have been easy. There are dozens of low-cost flights from the Netherlands to Budapest on EasyJet and Wizzair, I could easily have connected there. It would have been a no-brainer. Scoot simply picked the wrong airports. Sure Athens and Berlin attract a number of tourists from Singapore, but they both lack of low-cost connecting options. In Athens they tried for a feeder deal with Aegean, but it didn't work. Aegean is a full-service airline, that doesn't match with the low-cost product Scoot offers. Ryanair or Wizzair does match, and like I said, they don't even need a feeder deal. They only need to serve the same airports.

Jutlander

Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:10 pm

I don't mind flying a LCC for long haul if it saves me money, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. LCCs are not always cheaper and if they aren't, I'll just fly a full-service airline.

That being said, I was looking to visit a friend who lives in RUN and I found BF to have cheap flights there from ORY. Unfortunately getting to ORY is pretty much impossible for me (no flights from anywhere in Denmark to ORY) and with the Corona virus around I'm going to postpone that trip anyway.

jetblueguy22

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:13 pm

I really wouldn’t have a problem doing so, but I’d be sure I look at the comparison of what I get.

I look at it this way. If Norwegian is $400 and I end up having to add a few things such as a better seat or bags that bring it up to $600 dollars but DL is $650, I’m going with DL. It provides an insurance policy in my mind. I trust DL to get me there should a flight cancel, Norwegian I don’t have that same level of trust. But there is a dollar range of a couple hundred where I am willing to take a risk.

Basically I’ll spend a little more to for the quality of full service. But I would definitely consider LCC if it means I have extra money in my pocket that I can spend on my vacation.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

spacecadet

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:25 am

"Low cost airline" meaning what? "LCC" or "Low Cost Carrier" is a specific industry term that means the airline does not have labor and other internal costs that legacy airlines have (mostly because they're newer and just haven't incurred those costs yet). It's got nothing to do with fares or service quality. JetBlue is a Low Cost Carrier but I'd be fine flying Mint for 6+ hours...

If by "low cost airline" you mean low cost *to me*, then probably not. But that's kind of a meaningless question too, because most airlines now have three or four cabin options.

So to be really clear, if you're asking if I'd take an airline with low-cost fares in an economy-only cabin for 6 hours? I'd try to avoid it. I'm sure I've done it, but I don't think I would now. I'm perfectly willing to pay extra for a better seat. The only time I'd really consider it is if there's literally no other option, including driving.

But again, this is a rare situation nowadays, even on LCC's. An airline has to intentionally choose to be crap at this point.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Kent350787

Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:52 am

AirAsiaX SYD-KUL or Scoot SYD-SIN no worries - if I had to. But last time I flew either of those routes I snagged tickets with full-service carriers that were cheaper than either.

As PPs have said, you really need to define what you mean by LCC.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359

VSMUT

Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:49 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
And in Berlin they picked the wrong airport. They flew from Tegel, and there were no low-cost flights from the Netherlands to Berlin Tegel. So that didn't work out either.

:?: It costs €3.6 to connect from Schönefeld to Tegel and takes a mere 50 minutes! How could that not work out?

klm617

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:33 am

Yes I would. The biggest issue for low cost carriers is they have no pricing power because they all seem to want to add the same markets. I think they would do better moving into market where they have a bit of pricing power verse having to give away seats to fill their planes. They also need to fly short lengths to further enhance reliability flying any further west that the Midwest/Great Lakes region for TATL can cause delay issues with connections as your turn around will but a lot less with little or no margin for error. Another issue with WOW was widebody aircraft sitting around for 24 hours in DFW, SFO and LAX not making money. WOW had a pretty good network at the end but it was already to late as they had lost so much money. The only real market that can carry enough traffic with pricing power on the east coast is the NYC any other market you have to practically give seats away to stay relevant.. I my city you could sell fares at double what you offer flights for out of BOS and D.C. and still be half as much as the incumbent carriers fares to Europe and still fill planes.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:38 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
I really wouldn’t have a problem doing so, but I’d be sure I look at the comparison of what I get.

I look at it this way. If Norwegian is $400 and I end up having to add a few things such as a better seat or bags that bring it up to $600 dollars but DL is $650, I’m going with DL. It provides an insurance policy in my mind. I trust DL to get me there should a flight cancel, Norwegian I don’t have that same level of trust. But there is a dollar range of a couple hundred where I am willing to take a risk.

Basically I’ll spend a little more to for the quality of full service. But I would definitely consider LCC if it means I have extra money in my pocket that I can spend on my vacation.

That's it right there and that's why these LCC have to move away from the traditional market. They need to move into markets were fares are north of $1500 round trip in the summer where they can have a bit of pricing power. Then even at $750 they are still a bargain. But when you fly into over saturated markets the price advantage is negated because as you say they are on par with the legacy carrier and like you I'm not flying a low coast carrier to save $50. I think my threshold would be if it was at least $200 RT anything less and I'm on the legacy carrier
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

AviationJohn

Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:03 pm

The sole reason to fly an LCC, no matter long haul or short haul, is to save money. As an LCC you got to be the very cheapest, otherwise it makes no point.

Let's say I am in SFO and I want to go to Europe in April next year. DY has flights to LGW for $209. Cheap? Not if you find that BF has flights to ORY for $169 around the same dates. If you want to go to Europe, LON or PAR does not matter much. Probably want to visit both anyway, and the order is irrelevant.

klm617

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:33 am

AviationJohn wrote:
The sole reason to fly an LCC, no matter long haul or short haul, is to save money. As an LCC you got to be the very cheapest, otherwise it makes no point.

Let's say I am in SFO and I want to go to Europe in April next year. DY has flights to LGW for $209. Cheap? Not if you find that BF has flights to ORY for $169 around the same dates. If you want to go to Europe, LON or PAR does not matter much. Probably want to visit both anyway, and the order is irrelevant.

And that's why these airlines go broke no one can make money flying from SFO to Europe charging only $209 one way.

VSMUT

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:40 pm

klm617 wrote:
AviationJohn wrote:

And that's why these airlines go broke no one can make money flying from SFO to Europe charging only $209 one way.

Not to mention, the only way they can achieve it is by cutting the wages of the staff. The staff is essentially subsidizing the cheap tickets.

PatrickZ80

Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:03 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Not to mention, the only way they can achieve it is by cutting the wages of the staff. The staff is essentially subsidizing the cheap tickets.

For the most part that's true.

They can marginally save costs by offering a lower service level, but that only goes so far.

For example Norwegian charges €35 for a meal on board, on full-service airlines the meal is "free". Of course it's not really free, it does cost these airlines money to provide the passengers with meals. They get no direct revenue in return for those meals, it has to come from the ticket price. Meanwhile Norwegian consumes less meals (lower costs) and for the meals they do consume, they get revenue.

Yflyer

Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:31 pm

I would, but only if if the total cost was significantly cheaper than the other options. By total cost, I mean the fare (and taxes, etc.) plus any extras I know I'd want. I'd likely want a meal on a flight that long, and if traveling overseas I'd probably require a checked bag. So I'd do the math and add the cost of all of that to the cost of the ticket, and if it was still significantly less than the full service options, and still reasonably convenient, I would book it.

That is pretty much what I did when I considered Wow for a trip to Iceland a few years ago. Adding the cost of a checked bag and a meal, they were still a little bit cheaper, but I would have had to fly out of SFO which is about a three hour trip, while SMF is about 30 minutes away, so the cost savings didn't outweigh the inconvenience of traveling to SFO. (And the cost of getting to SFO probably would have eaten any savings from flying Wow anyway).

Worldfly

Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:39 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
I am working on a research paper, and my research question is regarding the failure of low cost airlines when expanding into long-haul operations. In order to collect data and gather public opinion, I would like to ask you some questions. Since I have quite a few questions, I will post a new question every 3 days. My first question is the following: would you fly a low cost airline on a flight over 6 hours? If yes, why, and if no, why not? I'm eager to see your responses!

Good luck with your research paper.

Would I fly a low cost airline on a flight over 6 hours? Absolutely! Why? To get a lower fare, obviously.

I am kind of a low cost guru, I always try to get as far as possible for as little money as possible. Never take a fare for granted, always look how it can be lowered. I would go out of my way for that.

One day I was in London trying to find the lowest fare to Chicago. I knew Norwegian had flights out of LGW, but I still found then quite expensive. Then I found they offered CPH-LGW-ORD for much less than LGW-ORD. So I booked FR STN-CPH connecting to DY CPH-LGW-ORD and it was still cheaper than direct LGW-ORD on DY.

Yflyer wrote:
By total cost, I mean the fare (and taxes, etc.) plus any extras I know I'd want. I'd likely want a meal on a flight that long, and if traveling overseas I'd probably require a checked bag. So I'd do the math and add the cost of all of that to the cost of the ticket, and if it was still significantly less than the full service options, and still reasonably convenient, I would book it.

That is different for me. Like I said, I always look how I can get it cheaper. You would take that meal on board, I wouldn't. I can eat at the airport instead and if that saves me money I will. And who says you need a checked bag if you travel overseas? I have traveled overseas with hand luggage only many times. Once I have found the lowest fare, I look at what it offers and how I can meet those requirements.

Low cost airlines, no matter long haul or short haul, should not focus on convenience. They should focus on lower ticket prices instead, since that's the reason people fly them. If a flight includes a connection, you can bet your ass low-cost passengers always check the price difference between through-ticketing and self-connect. I always do, and mostly I found self-connect to be cheaper but there are exceptions. Through ticketing might be convenient, but I'm willing to give up that convenience to save money.

Low cost airlines should also always ask themselves from where they can offer the lowest fares. I know that in London LHR is a very expensive airport for airlines to serve. That makes tickets expensive. Low-cost passengers have no problem flying out of LGW, STN or LTN. See from where you can offer the lowest fares and fly from there. But it doesn't stop there. If you can offer lower fares from DUB than from STN or LTN, then fly out of DUB. FR will take the passengers from STN and LTN to DUB for nearly nothing. One day I was looking to get from London to Boston and I ended up flying STN-DUB-PVD. STN-DUB on FR an DUB-PVD on DY. PVD is convenient enough to get to Boston, and it was the cheapest option.

VSMUT

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:43 am

Worldfly wrote:
Low cost airlines, no matter long haul or short haul, should not focus on convenience. They should focus on lower ticket prices instead, since that's the reason people fly them.

Lower fares is why experienced pilots are now trying to scrape an existence out of a monthly salary of less than €1000. Absolutely abhorrent and completely unsustainable.

PatrickZ80

Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:48 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Worldfly wrote:
Low cost airlines, no matter long haul or short haul, should not focus on convenience. They should focus on lower ticket prices instead, since that's the reason people fly them.

Lower fares is why experienced pilots are now trying to scrape an existence out of a monthly salary of less than €1000. Absolutely abhorrent and completely unsustainable.

I agree that some airlines are trying to save too much on wages and while I would fly them, I don't approve of such low wages.

That being said, there is a difference in spending power. I remember years ago Norwegian hired cheap Asian crews for their long haul flights. People screamed that it was horrendous how Norwegian undercut the wages that way and if they would have been Western crews, I would have agreed. But what the story doesn't tell is that in Asia these were normal wages, in fact Norwegian paid their crews better than Thai Airways.

VSMUT

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:32 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I agree that some airlines are trying to save too much on wages and while I would fly them, I don't approve of such low wages.

Flying with them is a de-facto approval of their methods. You vote with your wallet.

And speaking of spending power, after the latest salary cuts we have seen across the European industry (and especially at low cost airlines), pilots here now earn less than the equivalent Lion Air or Air Asia pilot.

Avgeek21

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Yes. just bring your own entertainment and food. The money I'll save I'll spend on my family or during our holiday etc. As long as you know what to expect I see no issue with it.

chonetsao

Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:59 pm

No I would not. Not in my life time. Don't forget many members here qualify for non-rev standby. Why fly a bare bone low cost carrier for over 6 hours when you can standby a proper airline for virtually nothing, and possibility of business class or first class when you fly your own company?

AeroLogical

Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 pm

As others have said, it varies based on the route and which carrier. I now have a limit for certain carriers that I won't fly them over 3 hours. The final straw was flying on Frontier from NY to Miami, which is around 3 hours. Frontiers seats were so uncomfortable, the pitch restrictive, and the flight attendants so surly that I said never again. This was in comparison to the same flight on AA, which was quite a bit more pleasant. I decided it was worth the tens of dollars to not have my backside hurt for the rest of the day.

klm617

Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:06 pm

I have to say more than anything it's poor route choices that cause these low coast carriers to fail. Look at all the small markets that G$ flies into and they make money. These TATL low coast carriers have to stop piling on in NYC, BOS, WAS, LAX and SFO and start servicing other markets less than daily. There are many airports east of the Mississippi that could fill a narrowbody 2 or 3 times a week.

cpd

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:14 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:

Never. I prefer an airline that won’t cancel at the drop of a hat and leave me stranded. The airline I use might cost a little more but they are reliable. When I have an overnight stop, they put me in a nice hotel and then send a car to pick me up the next morning. And the service in the plane is always excellent.

My flights are usually 13 hours plus an additional 6-7 hour flight.

CRJ5000

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:17 pm

I would, but it depends on a few things.
If you're including airlines like B6 as LCC, then yes, without question. I'd probably choose them over AA even if the cost was the same.
Airlines like F9/NK (using US airlines as examples) need a cost advantage or time advantage. The way I see it, legacy airlines are uncomfortable in coach. LCCs are slightly more uncomfortable. I would easily take $15 an hour extra at work to sit in a slightly less comfortable chair. That doesn't really change for me when the chair is in an airplane. My rate is approximately $15 an hour, maybe less.. 6 hour flight would have to save me at least $90 after all fees. 10 hour flight would have to save me $150.
I make around $40 an hour, so I'll value my time similarly. If the LCC has a direct flight that saves me 4 hours over the connecting flight, I value that time at $160, and would probably choose the LCC even if they were comparably priced.
The lack of IFE doesn't bother me as I can put better entertainment on an ipad or laptop. Food doesn't bother me either, I can buy much better food for under $20.

debonair

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:40 am

I think, in my opinion, there is nowadays only a minor difference between lcc and full service carriers - especially in the US! I am not talking about carries like EK, QR or SQ - all providing excellent full service. Few years ago I flew which AA from DFW to HNL, operated by a non-PTV equipped B767-300ER, with food to purchase (btw. that now changed to international catering). It was one of my most uncomfortable flights ever - and literally no different to a lcc airline.

AeroLogical

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:36 pm

debonair wrote:
I think, in my opinion, there is nowadays only a minor difference between lcc and full service carriers - especially in the US! I am not talking about carries like EK, QR or SQ - all providing excellent full service. Few years ago I flew which AA from DFW to HNL, operated by a non-PTV equipped B767-300ER, with food to purchase (btw. that now changed to international catering). It was one of my most uncomfortable flights ever - and literally no different to a lcc airline.

Agreed. I would tack on the UK to this as well. I do a lot of European travel based out of London, and in the recent few years, it's become difficult to tell BA from Easyjet or Wizz. The amenities are so stripped that I don't even bother looking at who's flying UK-Europe routes anymore and choose based on price and schedule. Based purely on anecdata, I can sometimes tell the difference with Ryanair as their likelihood of major delays or cancellations with little recourse feels higher.

PatrickZ80

Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:58 pm

debonair wrote:
and literally no different to a lcc airline.

I bet there was at least one difference, and that was the fare.

Of course I don't know what you paid for that trip, but I bet a low-cost airline can offer it cheaper. Dallas - Honolulu is 3784 miles. For comparison, Norwegian can offer New York - London Gatwick for $175 one-way. That's a slightly shorter trip (3470 miles), but not much. It's close enough for a fair comparison. If the flight was that bad, you'd expect it to be cheap. However I bet it wasn't.

Another difference is that Norwegian flies a nice and modern 787 on that route with IFE. That's a lot better than that crappy old American 767. Food purchase is the same, although on Norwegian you can do it through the IFE system. Sometimes LCCs actually offer a better product than legacy airlines.

jumpjets

Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:01 pm

I would consider flying a low cost carrier if they have a reasonable reputation, such as Norweigian, [my home airports are LGW and LHR] - but as with any air travel for me it comes down to leg room and price and convenient schedule - and certainly on shorthaul Norwegian offer as much leg room as say BA - and their prices are competative and IMHO their buy on baord offering is better - though for longhaul the cost of extras like luggage and food/drink start to become more of a factor than a short hop across Europe.

InnsbruckFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Many thanks for all your replies! They will be a great addition to my paper. If you'd like to answer another question, check out the one that I just posted:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1452143
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

blandy62

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:54 am

I would. If you fly Y, the difference between long-haul LCC or legacy has become fairly marginal anyway. My longest LCC flights were on Scoot DMK-KIX and DMK-NRT (around 5h) and it was not worse than other airlines. So 6h+, yes i would

novak500

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:25 pm

Short answer, yes. If it's a direct flight with a decent departure time I would. I've done this with Air Canada Rouge and AirTransat a few times

CrookedBill

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:27 am

I would. I've never flown a long haul LCC, but for me it's no different than short haul. I fly short haul LCCs all the time, why would long haul be any different?