Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pezzy669
Topic Author

Curious ? - DL 800# "thanks for calling Delta, KLM and Air France".

Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:28 am

So this question has always sat on my mind for pretty much the past 7-8 years since I moved to Atlanta and DL became my go-to carrier and a recent thread about AZ leaving the JV made me finally inquire about it. Sorry for random questions - I have wondered about it for multiple years but finally it came to front of my mind and am honestly very curious.

We all know the jingle and the "Hi.....thanks for calling Delta, KLM and Air France....welcome back XYZ". Then there were the old gate podiums in at least ATL (can't recall if I had seen them elsewhere) that had KLM and Air France logos as well. Now that the question came to the front of my mind I figured - well maybe DL call center handles US based AF/KL phone calls to their respective 800# so did a quick test call to Air France - nope they have their own and they only say Air France (did not try KLM).

So what gives with DL touting KLM and Air France on their automated call center answering system and previously on gate podium signage? Was this more of their marketing/branding fluff to make them seem more intercontinental/global?

Imagine calling UA and getting "thanks for calling United, Lufthansa, Austrian and Swiss" or calling AA and getting "thanks for calling American, British Airways and Iberia". :lol:

Kent350787

Re: Curious ? - DL 800# "thanks for calling Delta, KLM and Air France".

Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:47 am

Was it because of the joint venture for TATL flying, rather than just SkyTeam partnership?
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

N649DL

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:33 pm

For a while in like 2010-2009 it was actually "Now Serving KLM."

IPFreely

Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:19 am

Who answers the Delta 1-800 phone calls -- Delta employees or outsourced call-center employees?

Delta, KLM, and Air France might all outsource to the same call center, especially during off hours and weekends.

FGITD

Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:49 am

IPFreely wrote:
Who answers the Delta 1-800 phone calls -- Delta employees or outsourced call-center employees?

Delta, KLM, and Air France might all outsource to the same call center, especially during off hours and weekends.

I don’t know how things are these days given that the structure of every airline is changing. But previously, DL employees handled AF KL and I think AZ in North America. In return, AF and KL handled DL in Europe.

Used to be that AFKL had a bunch of offices in Delta owned buildings in ATL to keep management in the same places for everyone

classicjets

Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:50 am

I called the US Air France number to change an AF ticket (actually a Cityjet flight) in 2014. I was very confused when I got an email from Delta with the new flight details and a Delta ticket number.

wv399

Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 pm

FGITD wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

I don’t know how things are these days given that the structure of every airline is changing. But previously, DL employees handled AF KL and I think AZ in North America. In return, AF and KL handled DL in Europe.

Used to be that AFKL had a bunch of offices in Delta owned buildings in ATL to keep management in the same places for everyone

Once upon a time, they also answered Gol.