Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

InnsbruckFlyer
Topic Author

If you fly a certain route more than 5 times a year, would you be more likely to fly a low cost or a legacy airline?

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:03 pm

As part of a research paper that I'm writing, I am asking questions about the general opinion of low cost airlines. In this forum, I'd like to ask you the following: if you fly a certain route more than 5 times a year, would you be more likely to fly a low cost airline or a legacy airline, and why? Looking forward to seeing what y'all will say!
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

PatrickZ80

Re: If you fly a certain route more than 5 times a year, would you be more likely to fly a low cost or a legacy airline?

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:24 pm

That's hard for me to answer since I don't fly a certain route multiple times per year. I like to go somewhere else each time, usually it's "wherever the cheapest flight goes, that's where I'm going".

However in case I would fly the same route more than 5 times a year, for each and every occasion I would look which airline is the cheapest. I would not always fly the same airline unless that same airlines is always the cheapest. But if sometimes one airline is cheaper and sometimes another, then sometimes I'm flying one airline and sometimes another.

In my search for the cheapest option I would include all options like departing from or arriving at another nearby airport, transferring / self-transferring at a third airport or even a combination of airlines. I certainly don't need a direct flight, if a one-stop or even two-stop option is cheaper than that's what I'll do. And like I said, in my search for the cheapest option I include all options.

There are people that say "I need to fly that airline because I'm in their savings program". I'm not one of those people. I'm not in any savings program, and I don't want to be either. That's what I like about most LCCs, they don't have a savings program. Instead of points you just get a lower ticket price each time you book with them. That makes me more likely to pick a low-cost airline, but like I said I always do my research. It's not always the same airline that is the cheapest, and therefor it's not always the same airline that I'll fly.

Spiderguy252

Re: If you fly a certain route more than 5 times a year, would you be more likely to fly a low cost or a legacy airline?

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 pm

Don't forget the FFP factor.

I might want to accumulate points on a legacy carrier.
Vahroone

InnsbruckFlyer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:48 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:

Personally, being a big time mileage geek, I would always pick a legacy carrier, and I expect that most people would answer in the same way. I'm interested to see if anyone, like PatrickZ80, would say otherwise, and what their rationale is.
Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGN < DH8D OE-LGI < E195 OE-LWE < DH8D OE-LGI < A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117

klm617

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:53 am

Price who ever gives me the most bang for my buck. I am not loyal to any carrier.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Jutlander

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:16 am

I would not exclude the low-cost airline, but I would consider my options. Low-cost airlines are not always the cheapest, sometimes legacy airlines are cheaper.

Frequent flyer miles play a minor role, usually they expire faster than I can gain them. I see them as a way to make customers pick an airline that would otherwise be unfavorable. But in the end customers pay for those points themselves through higher fares, so on a net base it doesn't matter much.

Just like others here, I am not loyal to any airline. Just because I fly a certain airline once doesn't mean I'll always fly them. If there are multiple options I might want to check them all out, that includes both low-cost and legacy airlines.

BubbleFrog

Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:47 am

Depends.

I concur with others that I would like to earn and preserve points/miles where feasible. However, on short hops in particular, price matters, too. More so if a cost-sensitive client is paying.

I flew MUC-HAM and back every other week over the winter, and to be honest, with departures just after 7am, meaning getting up around 4am, I really couldn't care less if I was on an LH or EW...
Absolute Relativist

upperdeckfan

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:30 am

When I pay I always fly Y therefore I go for the cheapest "reasonable" option out there, except for FR. I don't fly FR anymore as I don't like their way of doing business.

"Reasonable" means to me that I don't go for the absolute cheapest fare, I weigh in fares, schedule, number of stops and total time from origin to destination, extra charges outside ticket fare, travelling alone or with family, etc. For me, there is no black or white in terms of legacy or LCC.

I am a FF because of business travel, when my employer pays I fly J then things change. You don't get many FFP perks by flying short haul Y across Europe unless you fly on weekly basis.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

VSMUT

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:40 am

Definitely legacy. Regular commuting on a route is where frequent flyer benefits like security fast-track, lounge and priority boarding start coming into their own. Frequent flyer miles also rack up quickly, even on intra-European flights.

upperdeckfan

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am

VSMUT wrote:
Definitely legacy. Regular commuting on a route is where frequent flyer benefits like security fast-track, lounge and priority boarding start coming into their own. Frequent flyer miles also rack up quickly, even on intra-European flights.

You said....FF miles rack up quickly if you are a regular commuter. If you fly 4-6 times a year to VFR, FF miles don't get you anywhere.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

hongkongflyer

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:53 am

Jutlander wrote:
I would not exclude the low-cost airline, but I would consider my options. Low-cost airlines are not always the cheapest, sometimes legacy airlines are cheaper.

Frequent flyer miles play a minor role, usually they expire faster than I can gain them. I see them as a way to make customers pick an airline that would otherwise be unfavorable. But in the end customers pay for those points themselves through higher fares, so on a net base it doesn't matter much.

Just like others here, I am not loyal to any airline. Just because I fly a certain airline once doesn't mean I'll always fly them. If there are multiple options I might want to check them all out, that includes both low-cost and legacy airlines.

To me, FFP is worhless and I only treat it as a bonus, I won't pay more just because I can gain some/ more FFP.
FFP to me, if the ticket come with the miles, I am more than happy to get it.
If I can use it, it is great, if not, I don't care about it.

novak500

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:29 pm

For me is a combination of price, direct flight if possible and a departure/arrival times that make me select one flight over another. The frequency I fly the route would not make me pick one over the other.

jetwet1

Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:33 pm

It depends on the route, if I'm flying LAS-LAX/RNO/SFO/SAN/PHX I will normally jump on a WN flight, if it's to the East coast or Europe I would fly legacy for the most part, though there were times a couple of years ago I flew on DY because I was mixing a work trip with pleasure and had the wife and friends along.

chonetsao

Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:59 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

You said....FF miles rack up quickly if you are a regular commuter. If you fly 4-6 times a year to VFR, FF miles don't get you anywhere.

Nowadays, a 4-6 times a year to VFR could mean from Europe to Latin America, or from Portugal to somewhere inland in China, or from UK to Australia, or from Canada to Argentina...

For instance, a Premier Economy class ticket between Europe and Asia is frequent for sale at USD$900 or under, which frequently bag you 12,000 miles return. 3 returns would yield you a minimum of 35,000 miles and a shining silver or even Gold card if you play right. Fly a low cost carrier you are likely to have to spend USD$1800 per trip in similar class, or USD$500 in coach (using the price on Scoot, the only Europe - Asia LCC) without bags or food or drinks.

Of course, if you think VFR are traffic between Chicago and Detroit only, it may fit in your statement. Even a transcontinental trip in USA between Boston and Los Angeles could yield you almost 5,000 miles per trip, with 6 trips you can achieve a Silver card with minimum spending criteria met.

So to come to a conclusion, we must define [certain routes] and the meaning of [get anywhere] first.

IAHWorldflyer

Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:48 pm

I'm in the USA. There is a route I fly about 6x a year to visit my elderly mother. Until Covid, there were 2 carriers on the route, WN and UA. I have flown WN once, felt it was a hassle to do their boarding process, and so I fly UA all the time. Both company's fares are practically the same. I also have premier status on UA, so that makes me loyal in that I keep that status and makes my life easier.
I have never flown a true LLC carrier in the US. To me, the little add on's negate the savings. I have flown them in Europe, but I thought it was better explained what was and was not included in the base fare. However, what works for me, may not work for you.

VSMUT

Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:59 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

OP said if you fly on a route more than 5 times...

I should specify, if I fly anywhere more than twice, it means 20-something trips per year, on top of several other trips.

Yflyer

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:24 pm

I have never flown the same route that many times in a year, but for routes that I have flown multiple times I do tend to stick to the same airline. But the decision doesn't have anything to do with whether the airline is an LCC or a Legacy. It's usually because that airline has the only non-stop, or otherwise is the most convenient way to get to my destination.

For some real life examples, I always fly Delta when I visit my parents, who live very close to LSE. It's not that I'm all that loyal to Delta or any other airline, it's just that flying SMF-MSP-LSE is one of the few actual convenient ways to get there. It's never the cheapest option, but the cheap options always involve 2 stops with ridiculously long layovers. And of course there are no LCCs that fly to LSE anyway. If I were simply flying to MSP I would at least consider Sun Country and would fly them if their fares were significantly lower than Delta's.

Whenever I fly to New York I always fly JetBlue (Do we consider JetBlue to be an LCC?) That's mostly because when I started regularly flying to NYC, they had the only non-stop from SMF. After United added SMF-EWR I considered that flight, but fares seemed virtually identical and both were redeyes so I stuck with JetBlue (If someone introduced a daytime flight on that route I'd switch in a heartbeat). JFK is also a more convenient airport for my actual destination, so that's a minor consideration as well.

PITingres

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Flying the same route that often would be quite unusual for me, but if it were to happen I'd choose the cheapest reasonable option for each flight independently. I find FF miles are essentially useless to me, due to the way I travel; I might end up getting close to the lowest tier on two or three airlines, never making enough to be worth anything on one.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

F9LASDEN

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 pm

For the past couple years I’ve found myself flying the same route, LAS-DEN-LAS, up to or even over 20 times round trip per year. I initially was choosing based off the price, which constantly had me on F9 with some occasional UA and NK mixed in. After the first year of doing this, I had actually flown F9 enough that I achieved Elite status with them, which gave me things like free seat selection (including extra legroom and exit row seats) and carry-on bags, as well as priority boarding. Even though I rarely travel with more than just a backpack that I put underneath the seat when I fly that route, the carry-on bag perk is quite nice when I take longer trips and has led me to choose to fly F9 when traveling to places like MCO from LAS as well. The seat selection and priority boarding perks, on the other hand, are very much appreciated and get used on pretty much every flight I take with them. So, when I go to fly and see fares like $29 one-way or whatever, that almost always ends up being the actual fare I pay, obviously making them the cheapest and driving me to choose them even more often. I would occasionally fly with UA if some factor such as schedule or last-minute availability rendered F9 unavailable to me (I try really hard not to choose WN or NK due to me despising T1 at LAS, and finding T3 to be vastly more pleasant in comparison, plus my personal dislike of WN’s seating policy and boarding process). I’m now in my third year of F9 Elite status, and continue to find myself choosing them the most often for my travels on the LAS-DEN-LAS routes.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

LupineChemist

Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:58 pm

There's a lot of factors that would go into this.

- Which route specifically? If it's short haul I'd definitely care less about extra service from a legacy
- What are my frequency requirements? Schedules matter a lot and just because an airline flies a route doesn't mean it could be convenient for business. I don't want to end up stuck for 3 days just because I ran a little long and decided to fly a leisure carrier.
- Who's paying? If I'm spending someone else's (read company/boss'/client's) money, I'm definitely more likely to stick with legacy. If it's my company or I'm freelancing and unable to pass the travel bill on, I'd be much more likely to save the cash to spend on other stuff.

5x a year really isn't that much so I'd be more inclined for an LCC at that point. At 20x a year, IRROPS become inevitable and having the rebooking capacity of a legacy becomes huge.

IADCA

Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:20 pm

Jutlander wrote:

If you're flying the same route 5 or more times per year, your miles are not going to expire.

As someone who - coronavirus excepted - actually does have several routes I fly at least 5 times a year, I fly legacies. One of the routes (a thin TATL route) is served by an alliance partner of my primary program, and I fly that carrier for that route, but the other back and forth routes (a well-traveled TATL and a US domestic transcon) are on the same legacy. It would be silly not to, given that the frequency of flying gives me near-guaranteed upgrades to domestic F even on fairly cheap coach fares and enough miles to upgrade TATLs to premium cabins, even when I'm not flying for business.

I'd hazard a guess that anyone who says LCC on this thread has never actually faced this situation or is doing so on <2 hour flights.

n729pa

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:04 am

For me with LHR a short distance away I don't get the lowest cost carriers generally speaking anyway but it depends. Whilst I'm a OW FF (not BA), it suits me to use them ..but I (used to) go to Berlin for example 4-5 times a year and they are really the only option in a day. But for AMS I'll 9/10 times use KLM as whilst they are a bit more expensive than BA, I like KLM and they make a nice change to BA. Same thing with Zurich or Paris, it's Swiss or Air France. But I visit MAD 5-6 times a year as they would be cheap flights and good to top up my FF account. Out on BA (used to be a 767 but now a boring A320 variant) then come back on the IB A340 or BA 777 later on.

So there can be any number of reasons but cost, points, flight times and equipment can be a factor for me personally.

CrookedBill

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:15 am

I actually did fly the same route very frequently for some time, and always on LCCs.

At the time I had a girlfriend who lived in Budapest (I live just north of London myself). Every weekend we would see each other. Sometimes I got to her, sometimes she got to me and sometimes we'd rent a hotel room in a city somewhere in Europe and spent the weekend there.

With the dirt cheap fares on Ryanair and Wizzair out of Stansted and Luton (the nearest airports from me) they're a no-brainer. It was always a matter of looking which airline was the cheapest (sometimes Ryanair was cheaper, sometimes Wizzair) and book there. Just the basic fare, nothing else. There was never any need for checked luggage or anything.

In the beginning when we were just together my dad always complained about how I flew those weird airlines, they couldn't be good. He's a very old-fashioned man. One day for my birthday he got us a ticket on a "real" airline, British Airways out of Heathrow. Yes, he was coming along as well to meet her family. The flight couldn't have been worse, it was a worn down A319 and you know the "service" BA provides on European flights, it's horrendous. The return flight wasn't much better, it was delayed several hours. Poor dad, he paid way too much for those tickets only to be disillusioned. But still, those airlines I flew couldn't be much better. Not for the price they charged....

Not long after I bought us a return on Wizzair out of Luton to show him the difference. I had flown them many times, he never had. We ended up flying a brand new A321NEO and it all went very smooth. Flights were not even a minute late. Dad was impressed, he never expected LCCs to be that good. And that for less than a quarter of the price he had paid on BA.

I know, with BA you can build up points or whatever. Who cares? Instead of points I'd rather get a lower fare, which is what Ryanair and Wizzair provide.

Unfortunately in the end it didn't work out with her, we broke up. But it was great for as long as it lasted.

CrookedBill

Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:26 am

IADCA wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that anyone who says LCC on this thread has never actually faced this situation or is doing so on <2 hour flights.

I don't agree with that, I just don't value the same things you value.

As I have said before, I frequently flew London (Luton or Stansted) to Budapest. That's over 2 hours. I've also flown them on longer flights, no problem at all. I would fly them long haul if they did. Unfortunately the only long haul LCC from London flies from Gatwick, which is very inconvenient for me.

Miles might not expire, but they don't build up fast either. And the higher fares you pay to build up those miles are easily offset by the lower LCC fares. And those upgrades? I honestly don't care, as long as I get to my destination it's fine with me. But you're an American, that makes a difference. The American market is very different from the British/European market.

IADCA

Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:58 am

CrookedBill wrote:
IADCA wrote:

As I have said before, I frequently flew London (Luton or Stansted) to Budapest. That's over 2 hours. I've also flown them on longer flights, no problem at all. I would fly them long haul if they did. Unfortunately the only long haul LCC from London flies from Gatwick, which is very inconvenient for me.

Miles might not expire, but they don't build up fast either. And the higher fares you pay to build up those miles are easily offset by the lower LCC fares. And those upgrades? I honestly don't care, as long as I get to my destination it's fine with me. But you're an American, that makes a difference. The American market is very different from the British/European market.

I suppose our difference is the bold bits. The difference in product in Europe is much, much less and the flights are shorter. Perhaps I should have said 3 hours or so; the point is more or less the same. Put even into the American context, if I were shuttling between Chicago and Dallas every two weeks, I'd probably do it on Southwest - much longer, probably not. But when you're talking routine 6 hour flights, I think most folks are eventually going to want a little bit more. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect enough people like me manage to keep BA in business even with their better-left-undiscussed European product.

dredgy

Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:42 pm

I can answer this one too, as I (pre COVID of course) very regularly flew many routes.

The most notable being ROK-BNE, an hour long flight - which I would routinely fly 5 times a week. At one point I was living in ROK and working in BNE (closer to OOL actually, but there weren't direct flights) and I commuted back and forth daily. I was always airline agnostic and flew best schedule between Virgin Blue (low cost), Virgin Australia (full service), Qantaslink (full service, but regional), Jetstar (low cost). I also flew Jetgo (no idea, "full" service regional I guess) when they commenced direct flights to OOL, which shaved about 2 hours off the commute.

It's really important to note that there really wasn't much difference between any of the airlines for flights of that stage length (until Virgin Australia started operating business class).The *worst* in terms of product was actually Qantas - they used smaller Dash 8s which were actually noticeably slower, you got a small snack and a drink and a louder ride that often ended up at a remote gate requiring an additional wait for the bus.

Jetstar and Virgin both operated jets - Virgin even had IFE, at first just seatback screens, but eventually BYOD streaming. Both of these were faster, comfier options with less chance of a remote gate. Jetstar (the low cost option) was the comfiest.

Jetgo flew directly to OOL so it trounced the competition,

Qantas did have a lounge at ROK which Virgin did not, but since I flew so often I would not usually arrive at the airport until after boarding had commenced and then walk straight onto the plane so lounge access was a moot point.

On longer flights (BNE-NKC, BNE-MCT, BNE-SZX most common) - if I had to fly economy I wouldn't care - seat comfort and lounge access are more important to me. On an LCC in economy, I find seat comfort to be generally more comfortable than most full service - thanks to long haul LCCs usually having newer aircraft (Jetstar & Scoot I really enjoy flying longhaul economy, less so AirAsia). Of course when it comes to business class, which is what I fly 99.99% of the time, then full service carrier wins hands down - that's the real differentiator.

Cubsrule

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:38 pm

IADCA wrote:
CrookedBill wrote:
IADCA wrote:

I suppose our difference is the bold bits. The difference in product in Europe is much, much less and the flights are shorter. Perhaps I should have said 3 hours or so; the point is more or less the same. Put even into the American context, if I were shuttling between Chicago and Dallas every two weeks, I'd probably do it on Southwest - much longer, probably not. But when you're talking routine 6 hour flights, I think most folks are eventually going to want a little bit more. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I suspect enough people like me manage to keep BA in business even with their better-left-undiscussed European product.

At the two hour and six hour points, I expect you’re right, but I’m not sure the “break point” is closer to two hours for everybody. I’ve had periods where I’ve done a lot of BNA-LAX, which is 3.5-5 hours block time depending on season. That’s not a flight where I’m allowed to buy F and upgrades on AA/DL usually require around ExPlat/Diamond, which I don’t generally hold. I flew WN a lot because I was pretty much guaranteed an exit row and often an exit row with an empty middle, which was frankly better than what I typically got on AA or DL, even with status.

Airport choice makes a difference on some city pairs too. In your Chicago-Dallas example, I’d be much more likely to prefer WN for downtown-downtown than for, for instance, Northbrook-Irving.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Worldfly

Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:00 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
As part of a research paper that I'm writing, I am asking questions about the general opinion of low cost airlines. In this forum, I'd like to ask you the following: if you fly a certain route more than 5 times a year, would you be more likely to fly a low cost airline or a legacy airline, and why? Looking forward to seeing what y'all will say!

Again, good luck with your research.

Would I fly a low cost or a legacy airline? Most of the time that would be a low-cost airline, only on the rare occasions that a legacy airline is cheaper I would fly the legacy. But it takes a lot for me to accept flying a legacy airline, usually there is a cheaper option available. I would keep searching until I'm convinced I found the cheapest option.

However having to fly to a certain destination at certain dates makes things a bit more complicated. In order to get the best deal, you need a bit of flexibility. If you can't be flexible things quickly become expensive. The thing with LCCs is that their fares vary a lot from one flight to another. If I'm deciding on my own schedule, I take the cheapest flight whenever it goes and plan the rest of my schedule around that. But if someone else decides when I need to fly, I might have to settle for a more expensive flight which is against my principles.

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

Personally, being a big time mileage geek, I would always pick a legacy carrier, and I expect that most people would answer in the same way. I'm interested to see if anyone, like PatrickZ80, would say otherwise, and what their rationale is.

Seems like we both have a different rationale.

FFPs don't do anything for me, in fact they put me off. They make the tickets more expensive than they need to be. If I want to save up, I can always top up the fare with a certain percentage and put that on a savings account. Good chance I'm still paying less than on a legacy airline, and whenever my savings account has reached a certain amount of money I can use that to buy something you would get for "free". But for you it's only available with the airline where you saved your points, for me it's available with any airline. That makes a big difference.

PatrickZ80 wrote:
In fact it can become kind of a sport to find the cheapest flight opportunity, certainly if you're flexible like I am. I could afford paying a bit more if I had to, but getting a cheaper deal is fun. It feels like winning. And if there's no cheap deal to be found? Hey, I don't need to fly. I want to, but only if the price is right. If it's too expensive I can always stay at home.

I got the same thing. The fun is also that even if you fly in the same direction, sometimes you fly this airline and sometimes that airline. Sometimes you transfer at this airport and sometimes at that airport. It's never the same, that keeps flying interesting. Of course there are airlines and routes that pop up more often so you always check those out first, but it can just happen that another airline and another route is suddenly cheaper.

mchei

Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:49 am

The airport closest to my home is pretty small so typically I would go for the legacy carriers, in my case AF, KL, LX and LH. Also, their schedules and flexibility make my life easier.

However, just recently, Wizz started offering a direct route to VIE, which otherwise is a flight through one of the LH hubs. It might sound like a no brained but their schedule is really inefficient for business trips so I ended up taking LH again at least twice. But I used Wizz at the time it fit my schedule.
Same with FR.

My main priority is schedule. As long as the LCC offers a good possibility, I’m on their flights.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

Flanker7

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:15 am

We do AMS-MAN-AMS more then 7 times a year and only fly legacy. FFP sure ads I I little but its daily frequency that makes the difference for us.
Flying blue only if possible

PatrickZ80

Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:35 am

Flanker7 wrote:
We do AMS-MAN-AMS more then 7 times a year and only fly legacy. FFP sure ads I I little but its daily frequency that makes the difference for us.

That legacy would be KLM then.

May I remind you that EasyJet flies this route as well and it's near daily. Only on Wednesday they don't fly, but to make up for that they fly twice on Friday. However I get it, EasyJet is pretty expensive for an LCC. It's not unusual for KLM to be cheaper than EasyJet.

For low prices to Manchester you might have to look at Ryanair on the Eindhoven - Manchester route, but I believe they only fly 3x weekly or something like that. Not exactly convenient if you need to fly daily, and of course Eindhoven is not Amsterdam (although there is a cheap bus connection between Amsterdam and Eindhoven airport).

Flanker7

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

That legacy would be KLM then.

May I remind you that EasyJet flies this route as well and it's near daily. Only on Wednesday they don't fly, but to make up for that they fly twice on Friday. However I get it, EasyJet is pretty expensive for an LCC. It's not unusual for KLM to be cheaper than EasyJet.

For low prices to Manchester you might have to look at Ryanair on the Eindhoven - Manchester route, but I believe they only fly 3x weekly or something like that. Not exactly convenient if you need to fly daily, and of course Eindhoven is not Amsterdam (although there is a cheap bus connection between Amsterdam and Eindhoven airport).

They are indeed klm. We live in Amsterdam so eindhoven is no convenient and will add quite a bit of travel time. I know that some low cost operate this route but the daily frequency is not good enough for us. Fare wise, klm is not always that expensive on this route and with 5 flights a day and a late departure out of MAN this gives us more time there.
Flying blue only if possible

Coal

Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:22 pm

I think you really need to segment the responses you will get, e.g.:

(1) For me, I will typically fly one route e.g. XYZ-ABC-XYZ weekly for say, 2-3 months at a time (basically I live in one city but most of my clients are in another), then it might be XYZ-DEF-XYZ for the next 2-3 months, etc. I will always fly legacy. For me what matters is frequency (i.e. as I usually book, say, a 6pm return flight on Thursday evening but multiple times my meetings run late and I miss it so I can take a 7pm or 8pm or 9pm flight) and reliability (the flight operating on time, virtually all the time).

(2) For one of my clients, he works in Singapore but lives in Bali. He flies Singapore to Bali on Friday evenings and back Monday mornings, every single week. He only flies Air Asia and he books his weekly return flights up to a year in advance on a rolling basis. For him his main concern is cost.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

jetblueguy22

Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Honestly the schedule matters more to me at that point than the airline style.

All of the travel I do for work is Monday - Friday. Meetings start after lunch Monday and end before lunch Friday. If I can get a nonstop that allows me to follow that schedule that airline is going to get my business. If neither the LCC or legacy is able to meet those needs out of my preferred (BDL) or secondary (LGA) airports I will look at who gives me the shortest average trip time.

I am loyal to WN, but I will jump ship if it makes my life easier. I do all domestic short hops. Status on the legacy carriers would do nothing for me because I’d never get past silver. I’m looking to maximize my time at home and whoever does that for me gets my business.

I love to fly and travel, but flying for work IMO needs to be done efficiently because I have things I need to do while still keeping my responsibilities at home in mind. Luckily my employer allows me to pick on schedule, even if it means it costs a little more.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

eurotrader85

Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:46 pm

Same answer as I gave on your other poll, in a word no. I would only use LCC on short haul, when they are the only practical option for the point to point route, but if there are better options I would pay the difference. Short haul business, I would never consider it. Long Haul, I wouldn't ever consider a LCC option for personal or business purposes.

I get the point of the change in emphasis on this thread, I think you are trying to say, if you do it a lot, say a commuter, do you commoditise the mind set a bit and just go with a 'cheap routine' for want of a better phrase. I had this exact issue on a European short haul route I was doing maybe 15-20 times return in a year, where I was having to use a LCC, but only because it was the only airline flying that point to point route and so only practical option. In actual fact the LCC BS I was having to put up with time after time did very much the opposite. I started to detest the cheapness and poor service and usual excuses so much it hardened my view against LCC. So again the answer would be no, not more likely, would pay more for a Full Service Carrier.

InnsbruckFlyer
Topic Author

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:07 am

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to answer! Your answer have been very interesting to read, and I look forward to see what you'll say in the next poll:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1452307

Insertnamehere

Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Depends really, I fly two routes now many times a year: NYC-MIA/FLL and NYC-CMH. For NYC-CMH, there is no LCC nonstop option and the legacies are very good at price fixing the route. I usually fly American but I am trying to fly Delta more often.

As for NYC-MIA/FLL, I mainly fly Spirit (I know, heresy) but with a healthy mix of Delta and American in the mix. My schedule is very annoying where I want to fly out late evenings on Friday or Afternoon's Saturday and so Spirit makes it the easiest for me with their schedule. Plus I pay for their "Big Front Seat" which is actually pretty decent considering its an LCC.

vegasplanes

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:50 am

That depends - for instance I fly LAS-RNO many times per year, sometimes multiple times per month - however, always on WN - obvious reason, no other carrier has the schedule to allow for flexible travel. Same with LAS-SAN.

On a route such as LAS-SLC, generally prefer WN for points and status, however, fly DL on occasion when the schedule better meets my needs.

LAS-DTW nearly always fly DL on the red-eye, while DTW-LAS I'll fly DL or WN based on schedule and price.

I often book one-ways on my tickets, at times on two different carriers.

For me it comes down to schedule, status, and price.

flipdewaf

Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:24 am

Its difficult to say for me as often the same destination is flown from different airports and the choice of flight is based on a combination of cost, timing, comfort required FFP and its quite difficult to nail down. For example I have in the past flown to AMS from each of LBA, MAN, DSA, MME and NCL on a multitude of airlines (easyjet, KLM, Jet 2, Flybe) all based on the above criteria.

Being a straight choice between LCC and Legacy isn't really a thing in my opinion as there is not really a discernible difference that I can see.

Fred

Pi7472000

Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:48 am

I would only fly a legacy airline like United or Delta. I prefer the FF programs, the free upgrades, and more premium service. I also like the lounge options when COVID19 was not an issue. Now with COVID change fees are gone so there is not point to fly an airline like Southwest. Fares are just as cheap on legacy airlines as well.

NozPerry

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:04 pm

I fly to vienna once or twice a month from London. Sometimes OS works out cheaper than Easyjet or Wizzair. Especially if I’m taking into account needing a checked in bag etc.
The last few times I’ve been over before the quarantine requirements it was around £120 on Austrian return with a checked in case or £90~ with Wizz but since I live in Surrey it’s more convenient and cheaper for me to get to Heathrow
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning