Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

InnsbruckFlyer
Topic Author

What's more important for you when booking a flight: a cheap fare, or the perks associated with a higher fare?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:06 am

Title says it all. When booking a flight, what do you care more about? A cheap fare, or the perks associated with a higher fare?
Last flown aircraft: A359 D-AIXM < A20N D-AINH < A320 D-AIZF < CRJ9 D-ACNG < A20N D-AINJ < A319 OE-LDF < E195 OE-LWM < A320 D-AIUY < A320 OE-LXA < E195 OE-LWO < A320 OE-LBX < A320 OE-LZF < DH8D OE-LGJ < A21N TC-LSK

PatrickZ80

Re: What's more important for you when booking a flight: a cheap fare, or the perks associated with a higher fare?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:12 am

Obviously the low fare. I don't care about perks, I can do without them. But I'm not paying more than necessary.

KLMatSJC

Re: What's more important for you when booking a flight: a cheap fare, or the perks associated with a higher fare?

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:19 am

I am usually one to go for lower fare, but I have gone for higher priced fares for some things: cheaper total fare (bags, seat assignments, etc.), schedule, airline loyalty, comfort, interesting routing/aircraft type
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood

Kent350787

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:22 am

I genrally look for the lowest fare, but calculate it on an inclusive basis depending on how I'm travelling (eg. baggage included in the total if I need it. And if the difference is minimal I'll go with a full-service airline for reliability reasons, and may even get a snack included :)
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

weberflying

Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:26 am

It depends on the flight.
When i fly on long distance routes i prefer a higher fare because the perks are often worth it.
On short haul flights i take the cheap alternative.

PlymSpotter

Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:23 am

Out of the two factors you mention, on balance for me the fare matters more often than not.

But to be honest, it's not really a question that I can assign a single answer, as that answer will depend on the purpose of my trip, which I break down into 5 scenarios:

Holiday leisure trip (vacation with family / friends)
Leisure trip to other home (meaning I need no luggage)
Commuting to work
Travelling on business
Travelling purely as an aviation geek (i.e. the flight is the whole purpose of the trip, no sightseeing)

Dan :)
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

VSMUT

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:34 am

1. The knowledge that I'm not contributing to social dumping by supporting the low cost carriers.
2. The perks. When flying on a regular basis, you start to appreciate that you can skip the queues and wait in a nice and quiet lounge.

eastafspot

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:17 pm

A cheap fare with associated perks, as now most fares offer flexibility and the same luggage allowance.

However VSMUT's answer is spot on.
The other day i could choose to fly Vueling (€149) or Ryan air (€129) among other on a Spanish domestic. Schedules were the same. Guess which one won my business ?
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

jetblueguy22

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:21 pm

I go by fare but then the perks.

Sure I might be able to take a $69 dollar flight on Spirit, but when I factor in luggage/boarding what does it come out to?

I’m looking at the whole bucket. I may get there cheaper on the surface but am I? It also ties into status. I’m A-List on WN. If I pay a little extra (where I also get my free checked bags) do I get to maintain that for another year? The early boarding alone saves me money.

I generally want a lower fare, but I will pay more if the total reward (both long term and short term) is higher.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

IADCA

Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:47 pm

Price is important, but so is schedule, connections, and perks.

Under normal circumstances, I fly enough to snag fairly easy upgrades. I don't care on short flights, but at my height there's a decent difference between even Y and Y+ on 3 hour and longer flights, which are the vast majority of what I do. That's enough to command a fare premium, although not a huge one and depends on the actual economy class offering - NK is a different bird than WN, for example. That said, I've actually paid a decent bit more to fly WN than a legacy when the schedule worked better, there were no nonstop offerings, and the connecting airport for WN was less delay-prone than any of the legacy options.

WesternDC6B

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:44 pm

I don’t fly much anymore, as I am retired. I live where the choice is Delta or American to get to a hub. When I do fly, I look for seat pitch, the airport at which I will be changing planes, and the airline itself. Fare? Sure, that enters into it, but, if 25% or so means I am comfortable and get there sooner, I will certainly pay it.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

IPFreely

Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:27 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
Title says it all. When booking a flight, what do you care more about? A cheap fare, or the perks associated with a higher fare?

The answer is it depends.

1/4” extra legroom on a 30 minute flight for an extra $1,000? The fare is more important than the perk.

Business vs economy on an 8 hour flight for an extra $500? The perk is more important than the fare.

eurotrader85

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:47 pm

Its not a black and white line for me personally. Of course you always want best 'value' but I would never fly FR say even if they were paying me to get on their plane. At the same time to say only look at the perks wouldn't be true either, as then every long haul I would take a Residence on EY which is obviously not sustainable as I am not an oligarch :lol: .

Ultimately the airline has to provide a certain level of comfort, normally a full service carrier, and within that 'group' of deemed acceptable carriers, then price/route takes weight on final decision of airline in that group. There might be a varying degree of service between the airlines in that group, say SQ/CX vs TG/JL or whoever but they pass the threshold of quality/sensible route connection 'so in the pot' of potentials say, then price takes over.

Worldfly

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:47 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:

For me it's all about the lowest fare, I would go out of my way for that.

As long as I get to my destination for the lowest possible fare, I'm satisfied. Cheap is not good enough, cheaper is better, but I only settle for the cheapest.

Then once I have found the cheapest, I go see what it takes. Good chance it does not include baggage. No problem, I don't need much anyway and whatever I do need fits in my hand luggage. And sometimes it can be cheaper to buy what you need at your destination than to take it along in your luggage. Legroom? I've flown Spirit Airlines, the cheapest seats all the way in the back. They're fine, I don't need more. Short track security? What do I care if I have to wait a few minutes more for security, I don't need it.

I've already given some examples of trips I've made to save a few bucks. What I should mention is that I always look at the dates, when does the cheapest flight go? That's when I'm flying. I'm flexible, so the airline doesn't need to be. Frequencies don't mean much to me, I only need one flight and I make sure I'm on time for it. If that means I have to get up in the middle of the night, then I get up in the middle of the night. I'm not paying more to catch a few more hours of sleep.

I also don't mind traveling from alternative airports if that saves me money. One day I was in Barcelona looking to get to Dusseldorf. There were several flights but they were all too expensive for my liking. Then I found Ryanair had a dirt cheap flight from Girona to Weeze. Even with the bus fares from Barcelona to Girona and from Weeze to Dusseldorf, it was still cheaper than the cheapest opportunity from Barcelona, so that's what I did. It took me longer, but that's fine. I got all the time in the world.

CrookedBill

Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:18 pm

I would say the fare is more important, at least it's the first thing I take into consideration when choosing an airline. If the fare isn't good enough, I'm not taking it into further consideration no matter what perks they might have.

I'm willing to pay slightly more for a more convenient flight, but that has it's limits. Besides, I often found LCCs to be very convenient. That could of course have to do with where I live, which is right in the middle between LTN and STN. LHR is a good distance away, doable but less convenient. LGW is too far, I never fly out of there.

klm617

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:46 am

Finding the cheapest fare between the points I want to fly with reasonable convenience. For instance I'm not going to fly ATL-IST-Europe to save money that's crazy. Just like I wouldn't fly SEA-ATL to get to Europe. But I would fly ATL-KEF to Europe to save money.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:50 am

IADCA wrote:

Under normal circumstances, I fly enough to snag fairly easy upgrades. I don't care on short flights, but at my height there's a decent difference between even Y and Y+ on 3 hour and longer flights, which are the vast majority of what I do. That's enough to command a fare premium, although not a huge one and depends on the actual economy class offering - NK is a different bird than WN, for example. That said, I've actually paid a decent bit more to fly WN than a legacy when the schedule worked better, there were no nonstop offerings, and the connecting airport for WN was less delay-prone than any of the legacy options.

My question would be are you paying for that upgrade or someone else because that comes into play as well.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

bfitzflyer

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:50 am

Depends on length of flight, schedule for me, Obviously the fare matters, but for example before COVID flew to Merirda, MX on vacation and first was only 100 more than coach when considering baggage fees so flew first. To India, premium economy was only 200 more than coach and on 22 hours, I will pay that. Lucked out on that one as 2nd flight was no premium economy so they put me in business which meant lounge access. If short 1 or 2 hour flights generally the cheapest but schedule and carrier preference plays a role.

RyanairGuru

Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:52 am

It depends, there is no straight answer to this question.

When comparing ULCC v legacy carrier I will always price in the options I want (generally checked baggage, and seat selection if I'm flying with someone else) and if the fare is still much lower, the schedule comparable etc then I will book on price.

However, if they are within about $50 for a short haul flight and several hundred dollars for a long haul flight then I'll go with the full service airline.

Frequent flyer status also plays a role in the broader assessment, but for personal travel I'm not going to pay $500 more just to sit in the lounge and board first.

Schedule is important to me, even for leisure travel. I'm not flying at 11pm just to save $50 on a short haul flight.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

IADCA

Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:28 pm

klm617 wrote:
IADCA wrote:

My question would be are you paying for that upgrade or someone else because that comes into play as well.

They're free upgrades based on status, or on long-haul legs they're my miles and own money.

Fiend

Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:28 pm

For me it's schedule, price and baggage allowance that I take into consideration, not the perks.... I don't always go for the cheapest option.
BAC 1-11, A300, A320, A321, A330, A340, A350, A380, B737, B747, B757, B777, B787, L1011, Fokker 100, ATR 72, MD83