Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dcah62
Topic Author

Concourse / Gate Locations of Previous and Current Airlines at Seatac International Airport

Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:33 pm

Does anyone recall what concourse / gates these previous and current airlines utilized or utilize at Seattle/Tacoma International Airport?

Current iteration of Frontier Airlines
Spirit Airlines
Morris Air Services (prior to merger with Southwest Airlines)
American Trans Air (ATA Airlines)
USAir / US Airways
Piedmont Airlines
Vanguard Airlines
Braniff Airways (the second iteration)
Sun Country Airlines
Cascade Airways (I think they might have used Concourse C)
Aeromexico
Volaris Airlines

717atOGG

Re: Concourse / Gate Locations of Previous and Current Airlines at Seatac International Airport

Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 pm

I'm not sure about all of these, but here's what I do know.

Frontier: Currently at the South Satellite to my knowledge, used to be at Concourses A, B, and D (might still occasionally use the bus gates in the latter concourse).

Spirit: When they started service in 2016 they were at Concourse A, but I believe they moved over to Concourse D prior to COVID, as well as using CUTE gates.

US Airways: Was in Concourse A as of 2015, and also appeared to operate there in 2001, 1995, 1991, and 1989 according to departedflights.

Sun Country: Has used gates at Concourses A and D to my knowledge, but I believe they use CUTE gates along with Spirit so they might operate elsewhere.

Aeromexico/Volaris: Both airlines used/use the South Satellite (Aeromexico suspended service here and hasn't resumed it yet, but Volaris returned over the summer).

muncc22

Re: Concourse / Gate Locations of Previous and Current Airlines at Seatac International Airport

Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:30 pm

For ATA they contracted SEA ground operations to AA. I believe it was b gates. Being a young av geek I thought it very peculiar that aa gate agents we're boarding us for our ATA flight to midway.

Cointrin330

Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:33 pm

United operated out of the N concourse/satellite through the 1990s. USAir used A.

wnflyguy

Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Morris Air used gates B8 and B10 shares with Continental Until Southwest started service in SEA. WN signed an agreement to sublease gates B8 and B10' from Continental. 2 weeks before the first flight SEA got wind that WN had meeting with BFI about the possibility of relocating. Unhappy about the talks with BFI SEA rejected the Sublease gate deal with Continental. So WN was forced to move to CUTE gates S1 and S2.
Historical note WN also had employees show up to SEA 6 weeks early because the contracts company that handled Morris Air ramp threatened to Walk off the Job.

Flyguy

dennisho115

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:04 pm

USAirways used S at some point.

ScroogeMcDuck

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:24 pm

Currently: Spirit leases gate B6. Frontier, Sun Country, Aeromexico, and Volaris all use the CUTE gates on the S concourse.

USAIRWAYS321

Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:59 pm

USAir/US Airways was historically in Concourse A, along with TWA, Frontier, and I believe Sun Country - until they tore it down to rebuild in the early 2000s. During the construction period, they moved to the South Satellite for a while, then the North Satellite while in the Star Alliance to be near United. After the new Concourse A opened, they eventually moved back and remained until the American merger.

NameOmitted

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:04 am

During the 80s and 90s, Northwest had essentially all of South Satellite not used by international arrivals. Before the sterile connection between C and D, there was a shuttle bus that allowed connections to the Horizon gates at C. That bus made for some good plane-spotting if you timed it right.

n7371f

Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:23 am

PSA had 3 or 4 gates on the original A. Believe it was 4. Prior to merger to USAir. Frontier I leased a gate further down. Then TWA had 2 gates at the very end of A. This would've been 1986. Western was at B2,4,6,8 that Delta then inherited. AirCal was further out on B. Republic had 2 gates midway out on C. Continental had the head of C and used several gates when it started the NRT nonstops. North was entirely UA. South was entirely NW domestically with a couple of internationals.

USAIRWAYS321 wrote:
USAir/US Airways was historically in Concourse A, along with TWA, Frontier, and I believe Sun Country - until they tore it down to rebuild in the early 2000s. During the construction period, they moved to the South Satellite for a while, then the North Satellite while in the Star Alliance to be near United. After the new Concourse A opened, they eventually moved back and remained until the American merger.

e38

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:53 pm

just to add to what n7371f mentioned above, during the period 1988-1990, American had three or four gates at the very end of the B concourse.

e38

departedflights

Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:04 am

May I suggest you check some of the Seattle/Tacoma terminal diagrams here:

http://www.departedflights.com/airports.html