Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

andz
Topic Author

How do airfares work?

Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Today while I had some spare time I started looking into travel costs for a trip we want to take next September.

Fly to Spain, attend the Aragon MotoGP, then go to Italy for the Misano MotoGP the following weekend then home.

Renting a car to drive from Spain to Italy is silly money and the train costs even more (we will be 4 people) and takes over 30 hours so I looked into flights.

I have an EK ticket I wasn't able to use this year but the other couple don't so I went onto Emirates website to check some prices, and this is where it gets confusing.

JNB-DXB-BCN-BLQ-DXB-JNB: EUR 2,735 per person economy class.

If I take out the BCN-BLQ leg the fare drops to EUR 622 per person.

EK quotes Vueling for BCN-BLQ so I checked their site, for the same flight, including checked baggage, it is EUR 80 per person.

So, my question is, why are EK adding EUR 2,113 for a flight that costs 80 Euro?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

RJNUT

Re: How do airfares work?

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:10 pm

the codeshare/interline flights's inventory(BCN-BLQ) may not always be opened up to the cheaper discouint buckets, especially in EK's booking engine, especially this far out. . I woudl purchase seperately the EK and Vueling flights since a connnection is not involved

andz
Topic Author

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:17 pm

RJNUT wrote:
I woudl purchase seperately the EK and Vueling flights since a connnection is not involved

That is a no brainer but I still don't get the huge discrepancy.

VSMUT

Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:23 pm

andz wrote:
EK quotes Vueling for BCN-BLQ so I checked their site, for the same flight, including checked baggage, it is EUR 80 per person.

So, my question is, why are EK adding EUR 2,113 for a flight that costs 80 Euro?

Does Emirates provide the cheapest, most basic ticket on Vueling, or the fully flexible "business" fare (or whatever Vueling calls it these days)?

You should also remember that Vueling doesn't sell all 180 seats for €80. Only a select few will be offered at that price, essentially as a promotional fare. I doubt they will be handing those over to Emirates.

andz
Topic Author

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:07 pm

VSMUT wrote:
andz wrote:

Does Emirates provide the cheapest, most basic ticket on Vueling, or the fully flexible "business" fare (or whatever Vueling calls it these days)?

You should also remember that Vueling doesn't sell all 180 seats for €80. Only a select few will be offered at that price, essentially as a promotional fare. I doubt they will be handing those over to Emirates.

I don't know which fare Vueling is providing to EK but surely it shouldn't be over 2,000 Euros?

PatrickZ80

Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:50 pm

It's not uncommon for self-transfers to be cheaper than arranged transfers on the same flights, basically you're paying for the service of making a fully arranged trip out of it.

By the way, Lufthansa / Swiss seems to offer pretty cheap round flights from Johannesburg to Europe around those dates. They're cheaper than Emirates. You can always compare options by searching through SkyScanner, they compare all airlines and online travel agencies. Just make sure to compare all options, including arrival/departure airports elsewhere in Europe. Flights within Europe are dirt cheap, so it might pay off to fly to a random destination in Europe and self-transfer there to your actual final destination. Same for the return flight.

andz
Topic Author

Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:02 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
By the way, Lufthansa / Swiss seems to offer pretty cheap round flights from Johannesburg to Europe around those dates. They're cheaper than Emirates.

Thanks for this, but as I mentioned in my opening post I already have 2 EK tickets to anywhere in Europe and if our friends come with us we will want to travel together.

Unfortunately we don't have good memories of LH, one year we arrived in FRA the day that the regional pilots were on strike so instead of flying FRA-BLQ we waited around 6 hours before being put on Austrian FRA-VIE-MXP and reaching our final destination at 2am instead of around midday.

Another time we flew JNB-FRA-BLQ-FRA-JNB and the two long legs (748i) were disappointing, my wife had problems with the IFE in both directions and the whole experience just wasn't up to EK standards.

In recent years I have flown from Johannesburg to Casablanca and Tunis via Dubai because I prefer EK to pretty much any other airline I have flown on.

VSMUT

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:52 am

andz wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
andz wrote:

I don't know which fare Vueling is providing to EK but surely it shouldn't be over 2,000 Euros?

Should? It's a for-profit company. They clearly think they can do it, or deem that it is so costly that anything less won't justify offering the connection. If you don't like it, arrange your own transfer.

Emirates is probably on the hook for the EU261 compensation and hotel accommodation if you miss the connection. That would probably explain the first €800 they added to your fare. They would also be responsible for rebooking you on the next flight, so add a replacement ticket at very short notice. I just looked up some random prices for departure today, and they easily run up to €500, despite the current lockdowns and lack of travellers. Long story short, Emirates will happily offer you the option, but they won't take an economic hit if something gets screwed up along the way.

RyanairGuru

Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:20 am

It’s actually the opposite of what VY booking class is used, but what EK fare is used.

In most cases Emirates’ cheapest fares only permit EK metal, and generally only allow a very simple xxx-DXB-yyy route construction (which lets face, probably covers the vast majority of itineraries EK passengers are booking).

By including an interline airline and onward flight you repriced your entire itinerary into a higher fare class (probably flexible fare) for the South Africa-Europe flights, as that was the cheapest EK fare that actually permits the VY connection.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

eta unknown

Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Similar to what RyanairGuru said... Do 2 provisional bookings (with & without Vueling) and see what booking class EK gives you.

WAC

Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Look at flying to MXP instead of BLQ. EK and U2 have a strategic partnership....

andz
Topic Author

Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm

WAC wrote:
Look at flying to MXP instead of BLQ. EK and U2 have a strategic partnership....

Thanks for the tip. I know what I need to do.