Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
bw19800
Topic Author
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:27 am

Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:36 pm

I read the forum daily but post very occasionally so be kind :D
In a recent interview Shai Wess (CEO Virgin Atlantic) said the A330-200 would be leaving very soon but I'm wondering how soon???. I have a flight from Man - Ord booked for May21 in premium & with the a330-200 having the 'better' premium seating vs the a330-300 i hope they aren't leaving too soon
 
CWL757
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:21 pm

bw19800 wrote:
I read the forum daily but post very occasionally so be kind :D
In a recent interview Shai Wess (CEO Virgin Atlantic) said the A330-200 would be leaving very soon but I'm wondering how soon???. I have a flight from Man - Ord booked for May21 in premium & with the a330-200 having the 'better' premium seating vs the a330-300 i hope they aren't leaving too soon

Ones already gone, all to be gone by 2022 I believe.
 
cedarjet
Posts: 9028
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:39 pm

Presumably the -200 had the Air-Berlin premium product as opposed to the -300 with the Virgin Atlantic old herringbone coffins with the window behind you?
 
User001
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:15 pm

End of October to mid November are the proposed leave dates for the A332. For S21 currently 2 will be based at LHR and one at MAN.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:17 pm

I'd be astonished if they re-enter service. The A330 fleet is grounded with only B789/A350 flying out of LHR on mainly cargo flights. If and when the A330s return, it makes no sense to have a small subfleet with a different engine type if some of the -300s are still parked, or even worse, the new A350s are still parked!
I think the active fleet will be B789, all the currently parked A350s and then selected A330-300s, with the oddball -200s the very last to return if at all.

I could be 100% wrong on this. Again :)
Last edited by skipness1E on Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
bw19800
Topic Author
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:27 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:18 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Presumably the -200 had the Air-Berlin premium product as opposed to the -300 with the Virgin Atlantic old herringbone coffins with the window behind you?


All the -200 had new cabins in Jan19 with Premium getting 'Singapore Airlines' seat.
https://www.vsflyinghub.com/a330-200
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 2268
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:31 pm

All the A330-200s in the VS fleet came from Air Berlin, and while initially, they did sport just the AB premium product, which was dated, clunky, and uncomfortable, they were retrofitted to the VS standard in early 2019. I suspect this sub-fleet will be retired. They were bought for a pre-COVID19 strategy and designed for expansion at MAN. At this point, VS is in such a precarious state, it will likely shrink the fleet down to the 789 and the A35K and possibly see the A333s exit sooner rather than later.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:35 pm

The A332 was always supposed to be a stop gap solution to the 787 downtime, was it not ? There's also the issue of the A330Neo that's inbound to the fleet and would also have displaced the CEO anyway.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 5497
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:08 pm

JannEejit wrote:
The A332 was always supposed to be a stop gap solution to the 787 downtime, was it not ? There's also the issue of the A330Neo that's inbound to the fleet and would also have displaced the CEO anyway.


A bit more than that, they were also meant to fill the gap until the first A330neo's arrive. The A332 was going to leave by 2021 anyway, so not really a big loss.


bw19800 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
Presumably the -200 had the Air-Berlin premium product as opposed to the -300 with the Virgin Atlantic old herringbone coffins with the window behind you?


All the -200 had new cabins in Jan19 with Premium getting 'Singapore Airlines' seat.
https://www.vsflyinghub.com/a330-200


"New". I can't help but think that those business seats look like they just refurbished the existing Air Berlin seats. Overall, not a big loss for Virgin.
 
DobboDobbo
Posts: 1161
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
At this point, VS is in such a precarious state, it will likely shrink the fleet down to the 789 and the A35K and possibly see the A333s exit sooner rather than later.



The A330-900neo are now due late 2022 (see link below which contains a direct quote).

https://simpleflying.com/virgin-atlanti ... o-fleet-2/
 
debonair
Posts: 4396
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic a330-200

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:10 pm

bw19800 wrote:
I read the forum daily but post very occasionally so be kind :D


As ALWAYS with BA or VS etc. check "the source" first!
Everything regarding VS, like fleet, seatmaps, routes etc. is perfectly explained and updated on www.thevssource.com ! Just have a look!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: masi1157, PI4EVR and 13 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos