Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seansasLCY
Topic Author

Lufthansa Group introducing buy on board in Y

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:57 am

Lufthansa Group will introduce buy on board in short and medium haul economy from next year. Austrian will start first followed by Lufthansa and Swiss.

Lufthansa and Swiss will still offer a complementary bottle of water to passengers. Austrian won’t.

https://onemileatatime.com/lufthansa-cu ... R-rgfmp0o0

davidjohnson6

Re: Lufthansa Group introducing buy on board in Y

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:05 am

Cue the howls of protest from the over entitled a.netters who fly on only the cheapest fares...

Disclaimer - the airline I fly most is Ryanair

oldannyboy

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:12 am

This is really sad. A terrible yet unmistakable sign of the times. I also fly Ryanair but when I fly a legacy I still expect a little something. Really bad.

Capricorn

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 am

I guess as a Y-class passenger in Europe it soon will make no difference between flying LCC or "FSC". I am not sure if that will work out for LH as I don't think they can effectively compete with FR or U2 on price alone. And if there is little to no difference customers will probably chose the original LCC right away because it will still be considerably cheaper.

Heck when flying for 20€ across Europe on FR or U2 customers usually have little to no expectations as long as you get to your destination, but when LH starts to charge >100€ for the same service, customers might not be too satisfied.

VSMUT

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:19 am

No onboard food and beverage, no 3rd party lounges, in the not too distant future the frequent flyer program will give you status for one year as opposed to the current two and miles earned on other Star Alliance carriers won't count any more. Doing their best to chase Ryanair and Wizz Air to the bottom I see.

At the same time you have Sun Air and Alsie Express starting services all across Germany with full service on board.

Opus99

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am

Maybe people can get off BA’s back

Fliplot

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 am

Why?
BA started the legacy rot!

Westerwaelder

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:32 am

Opus99 wrote:

I agree. Let's face it, most of the "food" offered for free isn't worth having. People eat it out if boredom and I have yet to meet someone who says they chose an airline on short haul for their food. If you are really hungry, you are better off having something decent, even if it is for sale.

The truth is that people chose the cheapest airline for short haul, all things being equal. The only choice the airlines have is to compete on price and that means cutting cost where they can.

Westerwaelder

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am

Fliplot wrote:
Why?

Customers started the rot. They want cheap flights and are happy to go without "free" food for a lower fare.

steman

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:55 am

Brought to you by the Company that claims to be a 5 Star Airline (5starhansa anyone?)
Honestly, not a big deal in my opinion. Flying Y in Europe has been already for years the same as flying LCC.
At least now there will be the chance to have actual food onboard.
I have seen a pic of one of the proposed meal options and it looks good (no idea about the price) but I hope they´ll chance their corporate
attitude because THAT is not a 5 Star Airline!

PM

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:01 pm

If I remember correctly, Swiss tried this a while back and it was a disaster.

Ah, the days when I flew Swissair A310s back are forth between London and Zurich and every passenger in economy got a reasonable snack (meal?) and a Bouchard Pere & Fils bottle of wine to take home ...

And don't get me started on the amazing in-flight service on Crossair in the 1990s.

Ah well. I live thousands of miles away from Europe these days. I enjoyed the 1980s and 1990s but those days are gone.

oxonrow

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:11 pm

One way to attract flyers during the pandemic: fill the middle seat and take away the coffee. That's that, no more excuses when booking, it's LCC or train. Now, we really do fly too much, and this race to the bottom is actually not helping, because as much as I would like customers to shun them, the fare savings will probably keep us flying on shortest of routes. Strange times, and I suspect this will not last forever.

RvA

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:25 pm

As if anyone was actually flying these guys for any other reason that they happened to be either the most efficient time wise or money wise to get where they needed to go. Getting a croissant in the morning on LX or a KitKat on LH or not isn‘t really going to change that. It‘s a shame as it was a nice bonus, like the KLM snackbox, but hardly going to make me, or most, reconsider who they fly with. If EasyJet has the best fare and schedule that fits, then its them, if its LH, Swiss, Austrian or whomever, then I fly them.

RvA

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:28 pm

steman wrote:
Brought to you by the Company that claims to be a 5 Star Airline (5starhansa anyone?)
Honestly, not a big deal in my opinion. Flying Y in Europe has been already for years the same as flying LCC.
I have seen a pic of one of the proposed meal options and it looks good (no idea about the price) but I hope they´ll chance their corporate

Fairly sure Lufthansa or Swiss first is still worthy, and business isn‘t too bad either. I doubt the rating is based on economy...

RvA

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:29 pm

Westerwaelder wrote:
Opus99 wrote:

I agree. Let's face it, most of the "food" offered for free isn't worth having. People eat it out if boredom and I have yet to meet someone who says they chose an airline on short haul for their food. If you are really hungry, you are better off having something decent, even if it is for sale.

The truth is that people chose the cheapest airline for short haul, all things being equal. The only choice the airlines have is to compete on price and that means cutting cost where they can.

100% agreed.

Polot

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Intra-European services on all full service airlines have been declining for a while, but COVID is going to be the shock to the system that 9/11 was for US domestic service.

The full service carriers subsidized their loss making European networks with their money-raking intercontinental networks. With intercontinental highly unprofitable, and unlikely to change soon, the Euro airlines are going to go look and see how they can make their European networks more profitable (or less loss making). Just like the US carriers that means service cuts and more fees.

OSL777FLYER

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:38 pm

This is the standard "excuse" used by the carriers all the time. "The customer wants it".

Yes, if prices are then brought down to LCC standard. But they never will be.

This could be that when the German Government now became owners of Lufthansa by bailing them out, they could demand no more outsourcing.

For some time now, the catering for LH short and long-haul in economy has been prepared in the Czech Republic and then trucked to either FRA or MUC.

Maybe this has something to do with it.

It seems weird that an airline like LH, who always claims to "take care of its customers" chooses to do this.

But as some have already mentioned, BA already did.

Why not just let Eurowings take over the entire short-haul in Europe. That is probably what the LH board wants to do anyway.

Bring on the LCC's

oxonrow

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:42 pm

RvA wrote:
Westerwaelder wrote:
Opus99 wrote:

100% agreed.

Disagreed. BA wraps were the best meal in the sky before that ended. It's not about a full meal, but it was a nice touch. You didn't have to eat it, and often I did not, but the coffee and beverage service were nice touches.

And more, I am OK to see the industry reshuffled in Europe, with legacy really going more fully the way of LCCs. But in return I would expect the competition authorities to be a little less forgiving of a host of protectionist measures that still exist that give the flag carriers anti-competitive advantages, slot access topping the list.

fil87

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:09 pm

For Swiss, this will be a complete total disaster. I live in Zurich and customers here will NEVER accept this new service level.
Last edited by fil87 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VSMUT

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:09 pm

oxonrow wrote:
One way to attract flyers during the pandemic: fill the middle seat and take away the coffee. That's that, no more excuses when booking, it's LCC or train. Now, we really do fly too much, and this race to the bottom is actually not helping, because as much as I would like customers to shun them, the fare savings will probably keep us flying on shortest of routes. Strange times, and I suspect this will not last forever.

The Economist ran an article on the subject earlier this year. In times of crisis, airlines should avoid the temptation to cut service for frequent flyers, instead raising service and value for them. So far we've seen Lufthansa do the exact opposite.

Pre-covid, Lufthansa was the biggest single airline at my local airport, an airport that mostly sees business travellers. I couldn't help but notice this summer KLM was able to reinstate 3 daily services (some even with a 737-800) and Air France a single daily, all with decent numbers of passengers. Lufthansa struggled with a single daily CRJ.

RvA wrote:
steman wrote:

Fairly sure Lufthansa or Swiss first is still worthy, and business isn‘t too bad either. I doubt the rating is based on economy...

Lufthansa business is lousy. Been there, done that.

JJR

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:19 pm

I understand that they need to to this to better compete with LCC, but the problem is that their cost structure doesn’t let the legacy carriers compete with the likes of Ryanair or Wizz by offering 30€ fares regularly.

So, if the only thing that could justify flying a legacy was a somewhat better service and that’s fading away. Some of those who used to fly Lufthansa will end up in an Easyjet flight paying 20€ less for the same service given that the schedules work.

Bottom line is who do they want to appeal with this move: LCC flyers who will fly the cheapest option possible or their consumer base who is used to the past level of service with cheaper fares?

WorldFlier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:23 pm

RvA wrote:
steman wrote:

European "First" on LH?

Surely you jest.

The only European flag carriers worth their salt for European Short Haul Business Class is Aeroflot, which even has Business class on their 70 seater Superjets.

avier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:28 pm

Such measures end up benefitting airlines like Ryanair even more. With new seats & interiors on these LCC’s, they seem to be getting better while the legacies get worst.

fil87

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
RvA wrote:
steman wrote:

European "First" on LH?

Surely you jest.

The only European flag carriers worth their salt for European Short Haul Business Class is Aeroflot, which even has Business class on their 70 seater Superjets.

And Turkish Airlines, which, by the way, resumed regular service + full hot meals & booze starting with Business class on long-haul flights as of yesterday.
Last edited by fil87 on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIflyer12

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:31 pm

JJR wrote:
I understand that they need to to this to better compete with LCC, but the problem is that their cost structure doesn’t let the legacy carriers compete with the likes of Ryanair or Wizz by offering 30€ fares regularly.

So, if the only thing that could justify flying a legacy was a somewhat better service and that’s fading away. Some of those who used to fly Lufthansa will end up in an Easyjet flight paying 20€ less for the same service given that the schedules work.

Bottom line is who do they want to appeal with this move: LCC flyers who will fly the cheapest option possible or their consumer base who is used to the past level of service with cheaper fares?

That is well put. The art of marketing is figuring out what people will pay for, and how much. (Think of the instant success of early iPhone.)

No, LH, BA, AF, etc., have cost bases much too high to compete straight-up on price. That forces an uncomfortable question for short-haul: Why pay more for an essentially identical product?

chonetsao

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm

So, for someone travelling long haul, it is better to fly ME3 to Asia or Africa as both legs are full service, or fly non-stop on any carrier to north America if you have one that does non-stop from your local airport. There is one less reason to fly Lufthansa or BA for the inconvenience transiting via crowd and long distance walking LHR or FRA. I have no problem with intra-Europe BOB, but I doubt Lufthansa or BA can beat the Ryan Air €10 one way fare as the airport surcharge in some airports are far more than the fare. Plus, if I am flying let us say CDG to ATH, it is far better to fly a non-stop carrier. Goodbye, cruel airline.

RvA

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:38 pm

[*]
fil87 wrote:
For Swiss, this will be a complete total disaster. I live in Zurich and customers here will NEVER accept this new service level.

So do you see people what, flying via CDG to be able to get a coffee on their flight for free?

RvA

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:39 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
RvA wrote:
steman wrote:

European "First" on LH?

Surely you jest.

So who talks about intra Europe only? Is that rating for intra Europe only?

BawliBooch

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Personally, I dont mind paying for a hot meal in Economy. But full service airlines who do this must ensure that passengers are able to book hot meals at the time of booking and those meals should actually end up getting served on the flight.

Going by history, it usually doesnt work that way. "Operational constraints" is the excuse doled out on the flight for not serving the meal we paid for. If you cant serve it, dont offer it!

Some of us pay a slight premium to fly LH, AF etc because we want a little more refined flying experience which in my experience is just not possible with RyanAir, EasyJet etc.

Paid meals is fine as long as they actually have the meals I paid for onboard! And please dont start nickel-diming your passengers with atrocious baggage fees and such.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

EMB170

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:44 pm

The problem as I see it is the major downgrade for shorthaul/longhaul connections. I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who might be flying, say, ORD-MUC-BUD, especially in J or F, and then to see such wildly inconsistent product between longhaul and shorthaul.
IND ORD ATL MCO PIT EWR BUF CVG DEN RNO JFK DTW BOS BDL BWI IAD RDU CLT MYR CHS TPA CID MSP STL MSY DFW IAH AUS SLC LAS

WorldFlier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 pm

RvA wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
RvA wrote:

European "First" on LH?

Surely you jest.

So who talks about intra Europe only? Is that rating for intra Europe only?

I believe the thread is BoB in Europe, and therefore comparing how bad intra-europe Business Class is at Lufthansa too is appropriate.

Polot

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:46 pm

EMB170 wrote:
The problem as I see it is the major downgrade for shorthaul/longhaul connections. I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who might be flying, say, ORD-MUC-BUD, especially in J or F, and then to see such wildly inconsistent product between longhaul and shorthaul.

No different than flying MUC-ORD-MCI.

WorldFlier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:47 pm

fil87 wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
RvA wrote:

European "First" on LH?

Surely you jest.

And Turkish Airlines, which, by the way, resumed regular service + full hot meals & booze starting with Business class on long-haul flights as of yesterday.

True. If you're going to connect to Europe, and you are flying up front...you might as well enjoy the entire flight!

lijnden

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:48 pm

Let’s be real, most airlines are technically bankrupt. That includes Lufthansa Group, AirFrance/KLM, British Airways, Malaysian, Thai, American, JAL, SAS, etc.. all are on the ‘public’ life support systems.
To cut the meals is simply easier then cutting union-heavy fa’s on almost empty flights. The excuses that passengers want this is hog-wash. It started all out with restricting baggage that turned into paid baggage, followed by taking out the travel agencies and force people to direct buying the tickets from the airlines at their rates. And now simply no service on board at all. Maybe they can have a microwave-corner in the back of each plane to heat up your self brought frozen meals (if you are lucky enough that the pilot turns off the seatbelt sign at all...)?
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ATL-HND-ATL-ORF

Opus99

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:51 pm

[*]
Fliplot wrote:
Why?

They didn’t beg anybody to follow

WorldFlier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:52 pm

Polot wrote:
EMB170 wrote:

Really? US3 Business Class, even on a CRJ200, is superior to Lufthansa's 1" thick upright, no legroom, barely reclining, torture board.

Ziyulu

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 pm

We still have KL and AF to serve meals on Europe flights. Who else does?

Ziyulu

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:55 pm

I guess the only benefit LH offers compared to other airlines is no 3-3-3 787 or 3-4-3 777.

Polot

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:56 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
Polot wrote:
EMB170 wrote:

Really? US3 Business Class, even on a CRJ200, is superior to Lufthansa's 1" thick upright, no legroom, barely reclining, torture board.

Nothing has changed in regards to the type of J/F product on LH. That drastic change in hard product exists today and has existed long before the pandemic. The new thing is BOB in Y.
Last edited by Polot on Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

debonair

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:57 pm

fil87 wrote:

True, but don't forget same was said at the time when swiss introduced the "b-o-b" policy in Geneva same years ago for Economy Light passengers.

I can't imagine to see LH flying med-haul to CAI, TLV etc. without IFE and catering on A321, whereas you will get full service and PTV with *A partners like MS!

It will be interesting to watch, if LH/LX will do an exemption for their HON-circle member and FirstClass travellers...

The 'only' positive aspect will be, that the LH-Group is now offering the same standard along all it brands - like IAG (IB,BA,EI). It was difficult to explain, why you have to pay onboard SN or LX ex GVA, whereas LH was free.
Last edited by debonair on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorldFlier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:01 pm

Polot wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
Polot wrote:

Nothing has changed in regards to the type of J/F product on LH. That drastic change in hard product exists today and has existed long before the pandemic. The new thing is BOB in Y.

I know that it's been that way for a while, I'm just pointing out how terrible LH is becoming as a whole intra-europe. Connecting in Europe for *A becomes worse and worse.

Polot

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:05 pm

WorldFlier wrote:
Polot wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:

I know that it's been that way for a while, I'm just pointing out how terrible LH is becoming as a whole intra-europe. Connecting in Europe for *A becomes worse and worse.

LH/Star is not unique in that regard, especially if you are comparing US domestic F service with Euro J service.

As I mentioned this is going to become the new norm. Get used to it.

WorldFlier

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Polot wrote:
WorldFlier wrote:
Polot wrote:

LH/Star is not unique in that regard, especially if you are comparing US domestic F service with Euro J service.

As I mentioned this is going to become the new norm. Get used to it.

US Domestic F is far Superior to European J - except Turkish and Aeroflot.

Of course I'll get used to it, but now I have even less reason to book any particular airline/alliance.

Ziyulu

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:11 pm

I find it funny this is what they quoted:

But instead Lufthansa quotes an executive who claims:

Lufthansa is eliminating free food & drinks because the free selection hasn’t met the expectation of guests
The introduction of buy on board is due to customer feedback

Just like back then when US carriers introduced BOB, they said it was to offer guests more freedom.

Ziyulu

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Just wait, pretty soon US domestic service will be like Europe. No more complimentary pretzels, no more complimentary soft drinks.

jetwet1

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Just wait, pretty soon US domestic service will be like Europe. No more complimentary pretzels, no more complimentary soft drinks.

It already is, it's called Delta.

BawliBooch

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:32 pm

EMB170 wrote:

Perhaps LH could do what Jet Airways did when their domestic flights went BoB for a very brief period. If local segment was on the same PNR ticket as the international flight, meals were complimentary.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

fil87

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:45 pm

RvA wrote:
[*]
fil87 wrote:

So do you see people what, flying via CDG to be able to get a coffee on their flight for free?

Very easy: the number of customers switching to another (better) Star Alliance carrier will increase. Quite a number of Swiss German colleagues of mine have switched to Turkish Airlines or EgyptAir already.

Ziyulu

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:47 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
EMB170 wrote:

Perhaps LH could do what Jet Airways did when their domestic flights went BoB for a very brief period. If local segment was on the same PNR ticket as the international flight, meals were complimentary.

Doesn't AC do something similar?

fil87

Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:47 pm

debonair wrote:
fil87 wrote:

True, but don't forget same was said at the time when swiss introduced the "b-o-b" policy in Geneva same years ago for Economy Light passengers.

I can't imagine to see LH flying med-haul to CAI, TLV etc. without IFE and catering on A321, whereas you will get full service and PTV with *A partners like MS!

It will be interesting to watch, if LH/LX will do an exemption for their HON-circle member and FirstClass travellers...

The 'only' positive aspect will be, that the LH-Group is now offering the same standard along all it brands - like IAG (IB,BA,EI). It was difficult to explain, why you have to pay onboard SN or LX ex GVA, whereas LH was free.

Well, Geneva is not Zurich and so is the customer base. Plus, Geneva is an easyJet base, Zurich is not.