Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Easyjet to charge for overhead lockers - 10Feb

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:35 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55156512

Is this a first for any airline? Might that toilet charge be just around the bend :D

Polot

Re: Easyjet to charge for overhead lockers - 10Feb

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Spirit has a similar fee. I’d be a bit surprise if the likes of Ryanair and Wizzair did not (I have checked to see if that is the case though).

zuckie13

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Sounds like basic economy on United for example. Full size carry-on not included on those fares either. So not new - but maybe more new for ULCCs.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:53 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
Sounds like basic economy on United for example. Full size carry-on not included on those fares either. So not new - but maybe more new for ULCCs.

Basic Economy on United. Used to be Basic Economy on American - before AA went the DL route and offered a carry-on in addition to a personal item under the seat free. Frontier. Allegiant.

Aeroflot777

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Wizz has been doing this for a long time, there is a charge for a trolley bag that goes in the overhead. Otherwise, it's you and your backpack under the seat in front.

Works well actually. Just took a quick trip north to Tromsø from Oslo and it's great to have the option of a backpack for the weekend.

jeffz666

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:29 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55156512

Is this a first for any airline? Might that toilet charge be just around the bend :D

I think in the current climate now's not the time to squeeze customers

Vio

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:31 pm

It's so idiotic. This is like prices in North America not containing tax, so they seem lower: $999.99, ends up being $1150 (at least in ONTARIO)

ethernal

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:37 pm

Vio wrote:
It's so idiotic. This is like prices in North America not containing tax, so they seem lower: $999.99, ends up being $1150 (at least in ONTARIO)

I wouldn't call it idiotic so long as the fee isn't obscene (Hi Spirit - $54 for an overhead bin bag versus $50 for a checked bag for a 2 hour flight? Makes sense...). It makes boarding a far quicker and less stressful experience.

BDKLEZ

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:39 pm

Vio wrote:

Actually, I don't think that it's idiotic at all. It is a great source of ancillary revenue for the airline. Your comment regarding how a fare is displayed may very well confuse some consumers, but morally speaking the airline is showing the fare that they are charging to operate the service in question. They therefore want to differentiate that over and above any government imposed levy that they are required to collect on behalf of said government.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:58 pm

Vio wrote:

That's a Canadian thing, not a U.S. thing (and yes, I recognize there are other nations in North America). The U.S. DOT has mandated all taxes be included in advertised/booking engine fares targeting U.S. consumers since the 2012 'Passenger Protections' rules.

ethernal

Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:01 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Vio wrote:

That's a Canadian thing, not a U.S. thing (and yes, I recognize there are other nations in North America). The U.S. DOT has mandated all taxes be included in advertised/booking engine fares targeting U.S. consumers since the 2012 'Passenger Protections' rules.

This is by far the exception rather than the rule. Airfare is practically the only thing that does include taxes in the US. Even other parts of the hospitality industry (e.g. hotels) don't - much less the goods you buy at the store. And while I won't say it is distinctly North American, it is definitely unusual to a European and many other travelers when they come to the US and see a price tag and then realize they don't have enough cash to pay for it because it's missing 6-9% of the cost.

bennett123

Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:53 pm

In the UK, almost all prices include tax.

mooseofspruce

Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Norwegian (DY) also started doing this at the beginning of the year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq9fzR47BYE), I would check what the fee actually was on SFO-LGW and it was another €10-15 during booking, no idea what it became if you showed up to the airport and you didn't have enough allowance if they would even let you buy the overhead allowance (probably for a higher fee), or force you to check it in (for a fee that's even more astronomical). In the span of a few years DY went from a 10kg overhead+underseat bag, to a 10kg combined overhead+underseat allowance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QccwX5F5bbw), then to a 10kg underseat allowance with the overhead bag being an extra fee...where after paying the fee it would be the previous 10kg combined weight of both the overhead and underseat bag. :lol:

It might seem like they're giving options to save costs, but in practice it means nothing if the fares in practice are best-case the same, or worst-case higher than before. I've seen the same when looking at fares year-on-year on Alaska (AS), where the "Main" cabin fare became the "Saver" fare and the fares don't actually drop (though AS at least lets you bring a carry-on, but you lose other things like seat selection except in the last rows, or any flexibility with the itinerary like changes or upgrades). DY even attempted to market/reason the baggage policy change as helping to ensure on-time departure. :scratchchin:

As another example, last year I booked a last-minute SFO-LAS return flight on Frontier (F9) for someone else, and in all the upselling F9 throws at you whether in the booking process or online check-in, the fee for an overhead carry-on bag was higher than a checked bag (not by much, but technically so). The smaller underseat bag was presumably included though.

garpd

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:05 pm

Might stop people bringing those ridiculously large bags on board and taking up all the overhead locker space.

Even with those "Your bag must fit in here" baskets at check in and at the gate, people still seem to get on with overly large bags!

Ziyulu

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:16 pm

I guess they are doing it to compete with Lufthansa's BOB on food.

Geoff1947

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:48 pm

Great news, it’s overdue to charge people who insist on large carry on. They should pay for checked bags if they aren’t travelling light.

Geoff

JannEejit

Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:52 pm

I suspect we're going to see a lot of this type of 'ancillary revenue' activity in the coming months. Glasgow Airport just announced a 100% increase to it's 'congestion busting' airport drop off tax last week. A 100% increase on 'vehicular congestion' unsurprisingly has not occurred. The sounds of a cash cow mooing can be heard in-between the sounds of a 10% capacity airline traffic...

Miamiairport

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:01 pm

Given what is happening in the industry I would say it's a safe bet that within the next year or so all airlines will begin to charge for a second carry on. I'm assuming premium paxs and elites, maybe not the lowest level, will be exempt. Particularly if the mix of flyers remains more skewed towards leisure.

Ziyulu

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Are there other full service airlines that charge to use overhead bins? I can only think of United.

VSMUT

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:41 pm

JannEejit wrote:
I suspect we're going to see a lot of this type of 'ancillary revenue' activity in the coming months. Glasgow Airport just announced a 100% increase to it's 'congestion busting' airport drop off tax last week. A 100% increase on 'vehicular congestion' unsurprisingly has not occurred. The sounds of a cash cow mooing can be heard in-between the sounds of a 10% capacity airline traffic...

I wonder if any airports will copy the Norwich Airport security fee.

airbazar

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:50 pm

ethernal wrote:
Vio wrote:

I wouldn't call it idiotic so long as the fee isn't obscene (Hi Spirit - $54 for an overhead bin bag versus $50 for a checked bag for a 2 hour flight? Makes sense...). It makes boarding a far quicker and less stressful experience.

Damn. I'd check my bag just to spite them because I know it's more expensive for them to transport bags in the belly vs the cabin. But there's a logic to their madness: most people pay for the convenience of a carry-on. Personally I've never flown Spirit and from what I've heard I hope to never fly them.

MIflyer12 wrote:
Vio wrote:

I could be wrong but I think he's talking about any retail price, not air fares.

davidjohnson6

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:53 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Are there other full service airlines that charge to use overhead bins? I can only think of United.

I do not believe Easyjet are charging for use of the overhead bins. As long as the bag is small enough, you can put it wherever you like

Wizzair have had a similiar policy for a while - they care about the bag size, not where you put the bag

United1

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

United does not charge to use the overhead bins or prohibit any passengers from using the bins. Assuming you are referring to basic economy passengers not being able to bring a full sized carry onto the flight. As they board last there may not be room in the overheads for their bag therefore it needs to fit under the seat. If there is room in the bins they are free to use them and no F/A is going to stop them.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/tr ... onomy.html

JannEejit

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:57 pm

VSMUT wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Is that similar to what Newquay Airport used to have ? You had to put £5 into a car park style ticket machine, then produce the ticket before they let you through security ...

Antarius

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:03 pm

garpd wrote:
Might stop people bringing those ridiculously large bags on board and taking up all the overhead locker space.

Even with those "Your bag must fit in here" baskets at check in and at the gate, people still seem to get on with overly large bags!

No kidding. I had a guy break the overhead bins on a E145 :mad:

Ziyulu

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:49 pm

VSMUT wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Almost everywhere in the world. TSA charges $5.60 per one way flight in the U.S.

Ziyulu

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:51 pm

JannEejit wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Is that similar to what Newquay Airport used to have ? You had to put £5 into a car park style ticket machine, then produce the ticket before they let you through security ...

Similar to the airport construction tax in China in the 90s. You had to pay a fee to have your boarding pass stamped before you can get through security.

cpd

Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:56 pm

garpd wrote:

They will now wear about ten layers of clothes and contained in the pockets of those clothes will be everything they would have had in the bags!

And they will be coming to squeeze in next to your seat. ;)

Someone will try this.

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Some guy did try that and past out due to heat I understand. There are cheapskates every where.

workhorse

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:12 pm

I think most of the people here do not get what's happening.

Up until now, EasyJet only allowed carry on bags that fit into the basket at check-in. Everything larger than that had to go to the hold.

Now, they are going to allow bigger bags into the cabin - for a fee.

BDKLEZ

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:19 pm

Well having read the official EZY statement on the subject, it appears simply that they are just refining the rules that already exist, see link below:

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage ... ld-luggage

After the new year, 1x piece of hand-baggage on board, regardless of weight/size (within the limits, so long as it can be handled without difficulty if it needs to be put in the overhead bin by the passenger themselves), plus 1x additional small piece under the seat in front.will no longer be accepted. Instead, 1x small pc under the seat in front will be accepted for all and if you pay for a "seat up front" or are Flexi then your additional larger piece will be accommodated if space is available above your head.

It's not that passenger X is being asked to pay for a more expensive "seat", it's simply a refinement of an existing policy which IMHO is acceptable. But if you do pay extra for a seat up front, then the additional flexibilty and convenience is an added incentive. As has been said before, there are many instances where certain bags make it to the gate and on board the aircraft as a result, some of which perhaps should not have done so.

Personally, I'm a "sitting over the wing" kind of guy, and being an ex aviation person I have flown all over the world with never anything more than a rucksack. But I know the average passenger is not like that. Therefore, I don't really care, but many do of course care about the details.

It's really not that bad and it's as simple as any other aspect of buying stuff. If you want extra, then somehow you will pay for it. EZY had one of the most generous cabin baggage allowances around, and far as I'm aware, and they've simply turned it around to make it more realistic. Over promise, under deliver, they seem to have realised how non-effective that is, generous as it may have been

ELBOB

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:46 pm

Last edited by ELBOB on Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ELBOB

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:47 pm

workhorse wrote:
Up until now, EasyJet only allowed carry on bags that fit into the basket at check-in. Everything larger than that had to go to the hold.

Now, they are going to allow bigger bags into the cabin - for a fee.

That's incorrect. At present, standard ticket holders can bring ONE bag into the cabin, maximum size 56x45x25cm. That is being changed to ONE 45x36x20cm bag that must fit under the seat.

If you are paying for an upgraded ticket ( Flexi, Plus etc ) you can bring TWO bags into the cabin, one of EACH of those sizes. That hasn't changed.

VSMUT

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

Almost everywhere in the world. TSA charges $5.60 per one way flight in the U.S.

Oh no, not like that, I know most places add it to the ticket price. In Norwich you have to pay £10 at a machine in order to get into the security control, separate from the airline ticket.

JannEejit wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

That's the style, only £10.

Ziyulu

Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Remember that airport security fees and taxes are different as they apply to all flights, not just LCCs.

debonair

Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 pm

ELBOB wrote:
That's incorrect. At present, standard ticket holders can bring ONE bag into the cabin, maximum size 56x45x25cm. That is being changed to ONE 45x36x20cm bag that must fit under the seat.
If you are paying for an upgraded ticket ( Flexi, Plus etc ) you can bring TWO bags into the cabin, one of EACH of those sizes. That hasn't changed.

OR if you pay for an UpFront/ExtraLegroom-seat, even with the basic ticket/fare!
That ULCC charge for bigger handluggage is nothing new! Unfortunately, easyjet is not permitting larger cabin trolleys against a fee, as add on, onboard... :mad:
You will be forced to buy one of the strict limited Upfront/ExtraLegroom seats and on busier flights, when all of these seats are taken, the only other way to hold on your trolley is the purchase of a more expensive Flex ticket. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:41 am

debonair wrote:
OR if you pay for an UpFront/ExtraLegroom-seat, even with the basic ticket/fare!
That ULCC charge for bigger handluggage is nothing new! Unfortunately, easyjet is not permitting larger cabin trolleys against a fee, as add on, onboard... :mad:
You will be forced to buy one of the strict limited Upfront/ExtraLegroom seats and on busier flights, when all of these seats are taken, the only other way to hold on your trolley is the purchase of a more expensive Flex ticket. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Agreed, the other LCCs are doing this better. On Ryanair, Wizzair and Vueling large hand luggage comes with priority boarding, which people are more willing to buy than premium seats. This gives the other LCCs the upper hand.

The only LCC where large hand luggage is still free is Transavia. I feel like this new hand luggage policy on EasyJet will drive people away from EasyJet to Transavia.

chonetsao

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:18 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The only LCC where large hand luggage is still free is Transavia. I feel like this new hand luggage policy on EasyJet will drive people away from EasyJet to Transavia.

Curious, how many routes do Transavia and easyjet have direct competition?

ltbewr

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:30 pm

Generally the rule has been 1 'carry on' of a certain standard size and 1 other smaller bag like a purse, briefcase, small bag with medical equipment like with me a CPAP (sleep apnea) machine with accessories for its use. I expect such a policy cannot exclude medical equipment from being allowed on without fees.

debonair

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:07 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Don't forget Eurowings! On EW flights ONE larger piece (trolley) is free of charge, which will be checked-in/accepted even at the gate without additional fees, if the passenger isn't holding Priority and the overhead bins are full to the brim!

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:10 pm

chonetsao wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

From Amsterdam:

- Agadir
- Alicante
- Corfu (both seasonal)
- Dubrovnik (both seasonal)
- Fuerteventura
- Ibiza (seasonal on EasyJet)
- Lanzarote (seasonal on EasyJet)
- Lisbon
- Malaga
- Naples
- Nice
- Olbia (both seasonal)
- Palma de Mallorca (both seasonal)
- Rhodes (both seasonal)
- Salzburg (both seasonal)
- Tel Aviv
- Tenerife South (seasonal on EasyJet)
- Verona (both seasonal)

From Paris Orly:

- Faro
- Naples
- Palermo (both seasonal)

That's all routes on which they compete directly. However keep in mind there is a lot of indirect competition as well, for example EasyJet flies Amsterdam - Edinburgh and Transavia flies Rotterdam - Edinburgh. From Paris, a lot of routes are operated from Charles de Gaulle by EasyJet and from Orly by Transavia.

chonetsao

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:07 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

From Amsterdam:

- Agadir
- Alicante
- Corfu (both seasonal)
- Fuerteventura
- Ibiza (seasonal on EasyJet)
- Lanzarote (seasonal on EasyJet)
- Lisbon
- Malaga
- Naples
- Nice
- Olbia (both seasonal)
- Palma de Mallorca (both seasonal)
- Rhodes (both seasonal)
- Salzburg (both seasonal)
- Tel Aviv
- Tenerife South (seasonal on EasyJet)
- Verona (both seasonal)

From Paris Orly:

- Faro
- Naples
- Palermo (both seasonal)

That's all routes on which they compete directly. However keep in mind there is a lot of indirect competition as well, for example EasyJet flies Amsterdam - Edinburgh and Transavia flies Rotterdam - Edinburgh. From Paris, a lot of routes are operated from Charles de Gaulle by EasyJet and from Orly by Transavia.

Thanks! Will be interesting to see what happens after summer 2021 whether easyjet can hold off those routes or not. Thank you again!

JannEejit

Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:50 am

VSMUT wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Oh no, not like that, I know most places add it to the ticket price. In Norwich you have to pay £10 at a machine in order to get into the security control, separate from the airline ticket.

JannEejit wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Heathrow looking at introducing a £5 vehicle drop off fee now too..."NEWS: Heathrow plans to charge £5 drop off fee, Flybe on its way to flying again, More exemptions to UK quarantine - Turning left for less" https://www.turningleftforless.com/news ... uarantine/

VSMUT

Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:15 am

JannEejit wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

JannEejit wrote:

Heathrow looking at introducing a £5 vehicle drop off fee now too..."NEWS: Heathrow plans to charge £5 drop off fee, Flybe on its way to flying again, More exemptions to UK quarantine - Turning left for less" https://www.turningleftforless.com/news ... uarantine/

Ugh, I just hate all these "micro"payments they are laying onto us. For one, I need to charge everything to my employer, which means time and effort on my behalf after the trip. Secondly, I now have to start justifying every single little expense to the employer, as opposed to just paying the ticket and having everything done in one transaction. And it isn't even cheaper. It is bad enough that you have to pay a city tax at the hotel, which is mandatory but completely impossible to add to the online booking and payment, and now we have to do it at the airport also...

Ziyulu

Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:38 pm

DFW charges a "drop-off fee" even if you don't park.