Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Lovetravelling
Topic Author

Do you think I did anything wrong with this or was unprofessional?

Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:31 pm

Long story short, I work as cabin crew for a major UK long haul airline.

Last week I had a 7 hour flight (which I was working on) and a 2 day layover and then another flight back (which I was working on). With our airline we as staff get 7 free flights a year to use on ourselves. I decided to use 2 of them to bring my son on these flights with me last week as we was going to a destination he really wanted to go to. I got this approved by my managers first who said it's fine as other crew do this regularly sometimes. So I did it and had fun with my son at the destination during the 2 day layover. My son being with me on the flight did NOT interfere with me or any of the other cabin crew doing our jobs like we normally do. My son stayed in his seat for most of the flight.

Somw of the other passengers commented during the flight saying they thought what I had done was "disgraceful and deeply unprofessional".

Honest answers please, do you personally think I've done anything wrong in this?

The only special service he got was a photo of him in the cockpit, but this was done when we (crew) boarded the aircraft so other paying passengers wouldn't have been aware as they we're not onboard the aircraft at this point.

maps4ltd

Re: Do you think I did anything wrong with this or was unprofessional?

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:03 pm

No. Those other passengers are dolts.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

PatrickZ80

Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:33 pm

It sounds like those other passengers were just making false assumptions and then judged on them. They had no idea how things really were, otherwise they wouldn't make assumptions like that.

Of course, if you would have brought your son on the flight without informing your employer, it would have been unprofessional. I guess that's what these passengers were assuming. But that's not the truth! You did inform your employer and you got permission to bring your son with you. You acted totally professional, nothing wrong with that.

Just a tip, maybe it's better to get this permission written down. That way there can never be any discussion about it.

mchei

Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 pm

I find it disgraceful when people can’t just be happy for others. Envy is such a bad human characteristic.
I don’t find it unusual when a company rewards its employees with benefits. Typically, that goes alongside with what the company does. When your company sells cars you will get a nice additional discount or you can use some nice cars during the weekend. I have a friend who works in a company that sells wine. He could get some real nice wine almost every day if he wanted to. And he won’t steal from his employer, of course.
As long as one doesn’t brag about the benefits I’m totally fine with it. I don’t see any of this in your behavior.
I hope you enjoyed your time with your son which is about the most important thing you can do in life, I think.
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

e38

Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Lovetraveling (Topic author), did your son do anything that would have brought attention to himself? Your story indicates that he did not, but how did the other passengers know he was traveling as a non-revenue passenger?

e38

BWIAirport

Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:33 pm

It sounds like people were just upset your son was on the flight, am I interpreting this correctly? I have a friend from college whose mother is a FA on a US airline and it's not uncommon for her to do what you're describing. As long as it didn't materially hinder you from doing your job, which it sounds like it didn't, and you got the necessary permissions, you've done nothing wrong.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B38M B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

PlymSpotter

Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:12 pm

I'm not sure we have enough of the information to really judge or form an opinion

What was it that passengers found to be disgraceful and deeply unprofessional? How was it that they knew that another passenger was your son - was it just the cockpit visit, or was it conversation or events during the flight. You say he stayed in his seat for most of the flight, what did he do when he wasn't?

I'm just trying to understand what exactly could have lead to these accusations by other passengers?
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

debonair

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:44 pm

Somw of the other passengers commented during the flight saying they thought what I had done was "disgraceful and deeply unprofessional".

IF you treated your son in no other way different than any other passenger, how could they know what you have done, I mean travelling with your son and doing pictures before any other passengers were onboard?!
Makes no sense to me... :scratchchin:

gunsontheroof

Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:22 am

I don't see how this is unprofessional at all, but I'm curious as to how any other passenger was aware that it was your son unless he did something untoward, which I don't get the impression he did.

I was fortunate enough to fly non-rev standby once through the generosity of a friend who's wife is an FA for a major U.S. carrier. While he had no concerns about it, he still made sure to tell me that even as a non-employee, I represented his wife's airline and should present myself/behave accordingly, which I did. It was a great experience!

So, yeah...I think the pax that complained are probably stuffy types not worth worrying about unless something is missing from the story here.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Lovetravelling
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:53 pm

e38 wrote:
Lovetraveling (Topic author), did your son do anything that would have brought attention to himself? Your story indicates that he did not, but how did the other passengers know he was traveling as a non-revenue passenger?

e38

Hi,

No he didn't do anything to bring attention to himself. The other passengers we're not aware that he was a non-revenue passenger, they just knew that he was my son and they only knew that because they heard me speaking to him every now and again and they could tell he was my son from what we was saying.

Lovetravelling
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:55 pm

They probably only knew he was my son because I did come over and speak to him for a few minutes every now and again and he wanted me to take a picture of him in his business class seat.

The other passengers didn't know he was using my free flights.

Loads of other cabin crew at the same airline have done this in the past and a lot of them do it often sometimes.

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Not at all. If the flight was open enough to allow nonrevs and you did everything kosher, I wouldn't worry about it.

This happens in the US too. My brother was an Expressjet flight attendant and he called me one day saying he got assigned a Lake Charles overnight. I called out sick from work the next day and used my mom's benefits to go drink, smoke, and gamble for a night with my brother. The only special treatment I got on the flight was he gave me a whole water bottle instead of a glass.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

hoons90

Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:21 pm

You did nothing wrong. There will always be miserable people who complain about the most ridiculous stuff to feel self-important. You shouldn't let people like that bother you at all.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

e38

Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:03 pm

Lovetravelling (Topic author), based upon your initial narrative of the events and your answer to my question above, my opinion is that you did nothing wrong and I wouldn't give it another thought.

Many professions have benefits that come with the job. As an example, I have a relative who works at an automobile dealership (in the United States) and the company policy is that every employee of that dealership is allowed to select a car off the lot on their first day of employment and keep the car until such time as they are no longer employed at the company. It can be used for personal travel--not just to and from work.

In the airline industry, non-revenue travel for airline employees and their families and/or guests is just one of the few benefits afforded to them.

As long as your pass rider--your son in this case--conducted himself appropriately and dressed according to your company's policy for non-rev travel, then it wasn't anybody's business how he was travelling.

For the passengers who commented that what you did was "disgraceful and deeply unprofessional," I think they were out of line to have commented.

When my family and I travel in non-revenue status, we always make it a point to dress and act appropriately such that when we reach our destination, the other passengers have no idea that we were traveling as non-revs, and we've never had a problem with it. We just blend in with the other customers.

Hope that helps.

e38

ILUV767

Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:20 pm

Happens all the time on the US carriers who routinely bring family members on layovers in flight loads allow it. The catch is they need to be in a position to have a plan b if they can't get on your flight.

Lovetravelling
Topic Author

Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 pm

Spoke to one of the managers today and found out I'm not the worst in this airline for these sorts of things!! Some crew have even have their children help them on the flight, obviously this was done extremely diligently to ensure that safety wasn't impacted and that the service and passenger experience wasn't impacted!!

andz

Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:35 am

Lovetravelling wrote:
Some crew have even have their children help them on the flight, obviously this was done extremely diligently to ensure that safety wasn't impacted and that the service and passenger experience wasn't impacted!!

Now that would be considered unprofessional and probably illegal as well.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:42 pm

It's not unprofessional.

The passengers that said it were a bunch of blowhards.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

VSMUT

Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:24 am

andz wrote:
Lovetravelling wrote:
Some crew have even have their children help them on the flight, obviously this was done extremely diligently to ensure that safety wasn't impacted and that the service and passenger experience wasn't impacted!!

Now that would be considered unprofessional and probably illegal as well.

The only illegal bit would be if they participated in the safety briefing or manned the emergency stations during takeoff and landing. Authorities don't give a flip about the food and drinks service.

PPVLC

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm

It's such a common event to bring a child, spouse or even a friend on certain flights, I sincerely don't know why people bothered, you are allowed to do so, do it happily! I'm sure your child will cherish those memories forever and this is much more important than any cranky passenger who's got no clue about internal rules. So many hundreds of times my colleagues brought their children along, I can't think of a single occasion when that disturbed the flight or our work in any way.
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 757 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747

CanadianNorth

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:41 pm

As long as he wasn't doing anything to bother other passengers and your time with him wasn't affecting the service of customers then I don't see anything wrong with it. At this point I am fully convinced that some people get up in the morning and purposely look for things to get offended by or upset about, so as long as you know you didn't do anything wrong and your bosses are okay with it then I would just let them be grumpy and not worry about it.

Working for an airline and having kids can be tough on everyone at times, but bonus opportunities like this one help make up for that. Where I work I see it all the time and most of the kids love it and enjoy the memories well into their adult life. As long as everyone involved makes an effort to not bother or detract from paying customers then I'm all for trips like the one you described.
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

FGITD

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:57 am

CanadianNorth wrote:

Working for an airline and having kids can be tough on everyone at times, but bonus opportunities like this one help make up for that. Where I work I see it all the time and most of the kids love it and enjoy the memories well into their adult life. As long as everyone involved makes an effort to not bother or detract from paying customers then I'm all for trips like the one you described.

It’s one of the rites of passage for both the parent and child involved with the airline. I’ve always been on the ground but enjoyed working with crews who brought their kids. (To a point...the 16 year old who felt entitled to a seat in business until dad reminded her he’s both the father and Captain is an exception)

Might explain why aviation can have so many family ties. Parents pass it on to their kids who get the memories of flying all over with mom or dad when they were little and loved it.

CanadianNorth

Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:41 am

FGITD wrote:
Might explain why aviation can have so many family ties. Parents pass it on to their kids who get the memories of flying all over with mom or dad when they were little and loved it.

Pretty much exactly how I got into aviation, and I can name several others as well.
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

BananaFlyerGLA

Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:06 pm

I'm crew for one of the big 3 Gulf airlines, what you've done isn't unprofessional at all.

In fact it seems to be you've done the upmost to ensure that you don't inadvertently cross any lines, so to speak.

Until covid times we often had friends or family tag along on the more preferred layovers.

I'm curious to know how you found out about the unnecessary opinions of those other passengers, did they make comments to you?

Anyways, hope you had a great time and haven't let this put you off bringing your son again :smile:

AirKevin

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Lovetravelling wrote:
The only special service he got was a photo of him in the cockpit, but this was done when we (crew) boarded the aircraft so other paying passengers wouldn't have been aware as they we're not onboard the aircraft at this point.

I don't even see how even this would be an issue, as I've had it happen twice now where I had pictures of me in the flight deck, and that's considering I don't even know the crew. The first time was when we were getting off the plane as departure had been delayed three hours, the second time happened after we landed. No issue in either case.
Captain Kevin