Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HNLSLCPDX
Topic Author

Airports set for large growth

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Once the pandemic passes and maybe even beginning next year, what airports might we see grow the most whether because of tourism, growing population in the metro area, businesses relocating, etc.?

Off the top of my head I think of FLG, SGU, RDM, SLC, AUS, DEN, PVU, MCO, PSP, and BOI.

Bradin

Re: Airports set for large growth

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Any Texas airport will likely see some growth. DFW, AUS, and IAH comes to mind because of the recent moves of Tesla, Oracle, HPE and a few others.

Nicknuzzii

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:34 pm

All 3 NYC will probably shrink. Mostly LGA though.

HNLSLCPDX
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
All 3 NYC will probably shrink. Mostly LGA though.

Everyone knows the NYC airports will shrink, this thread is about what airports will see large growth, not about airports that will shrink.

YYZORD

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:42 pm

YYZ and YVR for sure!

FlyRow

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:52 pm

Any lowcost airport in Europe will see a quicker passenger recovery, traditional hubs have a long time to go.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

klm617

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:11 pm

Detroit should do very well. Being Michigan is the epa center of the vaccine production and automotive production is hitting on all 8 cylinders.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

SESGDL

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:15 pm

klm617 wrote:
Detroit should do very well. Being Michigan is the epa center of the vaccine production and automotive production is hitting on all 8 cylinders.

Not sure why you think that. DTW is not experiencing much if any population growth as a metropolitan area. Growth in passengers is typically tied to growth in people. I imagine the South and the Sunbelt will continue to explode in the coming years.

Jeremy

klm617

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:21 pm

SESGDL wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Not sure why you think that. DTW is not experiencing much if any population growth as a metropolitan area. Growth in passengers is typically tied to growth in people. I imagine the South and the Sunbelt will continue to explode in the coming years.

Jeremy

Agreed but Michigan is one of the biggest manufacturing States in the country. A lot of cargo there and business travel that can't be done remotely. But incomes are rising and Southeast Michigan is becoming very big when it comes to the tech industry and autonomous vehicles. They are building a fully autonomous highway from Detroit to Ann Arbor a lot of good things are going on in the Detroit area. Detroit is gonna be big.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:26 pm

Traverse City Michigan is also going to significantly grow as well. It's going to be the states third largest airport and a terminal expansion is in the works.

FlyingHonu001

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:34 pm

AMS is also already lining up for growth. They're also opting to expand northernly to build another satellite terminal closer to the capital's urban area
Last edited by FlyingHonu001 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaywardMemphian

Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:37 pm

I'm shocked that FLG hasn't grown more with it's in between Sedona and Grand Canyon location. One of the LCCs will discover this eventually like Allegiant and VPS.

vegasplanes

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:53 am

RNO - booming up there, hard to find a place to live

BIL

BZN

SGU - as others have mentioned

DEN - the Metro keeps growing and growing, plus pull from mountain communities/Boulder/Colorado Springs

PatrickZ80

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:34 am

FlyRow wrote:
Any lowcost airport in Europe will see a quicker passenger recovery, traditional hubs have a long time to go.

Agreed. I expect Budapest to grow considerably as Wizzair gets it's capacity back up, it's one of the major low-cost airports in Europe.

FlyRow

Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:09 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
AMS is also already lining up for growth. They're also opting to expand northernly to build another satellite terminal closer to the capital's urban area

BS, they are not.
Traffic is down to pre 1992 levels and the new A-terminal and pier are not expected to be fully open before 2025.
The north terminal in the A9/A4 motorway corner has long been shot down.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

FlyingHonu001

Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:58 pm

FlyRow wrote:
FlyingHonu001 wrote:

BS, they are not.
Traffic is down to pre 1992 levels and the new A-terminal and pier are not expected to be fully open before 2025.
The north terminal in the A9/A4 motorway corner has long been shot down.

Well...they already bought the land anyway a year ago...

https://news.schiphol.com/schiphol-real ... -purchase/

PatrickZ80

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:05 am

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
Well...they already bought the land anyway a year ago...

https://news.schiphol.com/schiphol-real ... -purchase/

That was before COVID-19 came around and messed everything up. So yes, they bought the land but for the foreseeable future they're not going to do anything with it. It would have been different if things would have stayed like they had been last year, but that didn't happen.

aklrno

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:13 pm

vegasplanes wrote:
RNO - booming up there, hard to find a place to live

BIL

BZN

SGU - as others have mentioned

DEN - the Metro keeps growing and growing, plus pull from mountain communities/Boulder/Colorado Springs

RNO had spare capacity before the pandemic so they have a lot of growth potential without any construction. With the population boom in the area I'm sure RNO traffic will increase. The few WN flights I have been on were full. If more capacity is needed the parallel main runways can easily handle it, and the land is reserved for a new concourse if needed. There are even some early preliminary plans to increase parking. The existing garage was designed to have additional floors built.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Every single airport in the state of California, with the exception of Bakersfield (BFL).

Like trying to grow plants in 99% sand, you're lucky if you can keep any one flight for any length of time. Even if your metro area is approaching nearly one million people. Add in the black-hole of gravity that is LAX within a couple of hours along with a nearly zero premium demand, the city is destined for eternal mediocrity as far as air service is concerned.

Mehh, I'm always P.O'd whenever literally every other airport in the state was booming pre-COVID, and BFL continues to languish, attracting absolutely nothing without a subsidy. Now with Southwest announcing SBA and FAT (after announcing Palm Springs), the circle of emptiness is complete.

Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:00 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Once the pandemic passes and maybe even beginning next year, what airports might we see grow the most whether because of tourism, growing population in the metro area, businesses relocating, etc.?

Off the top of my head I think of FLG, SGU, RDM, SLC, AUS, DEN, PVU, MCO, PSP, and BOI.

Add BNA and RDU to that list.

ElroyJetson

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:47 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Pre Covid the fastest growing airports were RDU, BNA, AUS, and RIC. All are mid sized sun belt cities with a lot of corporate business growth. I expect once a Covid recovery finally happens those cities will resume strong growth.

bfitzflyer

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:02 pm

With new airports, PKX, IST and even BER will probably see some good growth coming out of COVID

flymco753

Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:59 am

klm617 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Jeremy

Agreed but Michigan is one of the biggest manufacturing States in the country. A lot of cargo there and business travel that can't be done remotely. But incomes are rising and Southeast Michigan is becoming very big when it comes to the tech industry and autonomous vehicles. They are building a fully autonomous highway from Detroit to Ann Arbor a lot of good things are going on in the Detroit area. Detroit is gonna be big.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Unfortunately, this pandemic has shown DTW's true colors with no business market and a very weak leisure market. It is showing how much stronger MSP & SLC are. Michigan's governor doesn't help the case either. The area was going to be silicon valley of the Midwest until businesses were smart enough to realize the sham which is the cost of living in Michigan and took their assets elsewhere.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

klm617

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:59 pm

flymco753 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Unfortunately, this pandemic has shown DTW's true colors with no business market and a very weak leisure market. It is showing how much stronger MSP & SLC are. Michigan's governor doesn't help the case either. The area was going to be silicon valley of the Midwest until businesses were smart enough to realize the sham which is the cost of living in Michigan and took their assets elsewhere.

IDK Delta just added a bunch of capacity in the DTW-Florida market so they are seeing an uptick in leisure traffic out of Detroit at least to Florida. Manufacturing in Southeast Michigan is on overtime right now to replenish the pipeline giving people a lot of disposable income. Don't count us out.

Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:01 am

flymco753 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

I really wonder if this is gonna be the end of DL’s dual midwest hub strategy?

klm617

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:08 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I really wonder if this is gonna be the end of DL’s dual midwest hub strategy?

I think that there is a lot of politics involved in this strategy. Both markets are huge and pretty big cash cows for Delta. Before the pandemic Detroit was being more carved out as an O/D hub while MSP was used more for connections. With that being said Delta had faith in Detroit as far as being able to generate the profits it wanted hence the move towards a more O/D centric market verses a connection hub as connection flows were moved away from Detroit and moved more towards MSP and ATL. It's hard to say how this plays out but I think the political aspect of what Delta does or needs to do will come greatly into as they move forward.

tomaheath

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 pm

I could see Hawaiian airports doing well.

dfwjim1

Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:27 am

MIA, FLL and PBI in South Florida especially when the cruise industry rebounds.