Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gillbilly
Topic Author

Likelihood of a Battleship Gray Retro Livery

Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:27 am

Will we ever see United do one? I'd be thrilled to see it.

KLMatSJC

Re: Likelihood of a Battleship Gray Retro Livery

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:20 pm

With how quickly they faded when they were in regular service, I'd say the odds are very bad..

JHCRJ700

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:39 pm

That would be awesome, but a Tulip would be even more thrilling. That was a great livery.

MIflyer12

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Battleship grey - to be reminded of the Summer from Hell? No thanks. That is not a happy part of UA's history, not for passengers or shareholders.

Cointrin330

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:58 pm

The battleship grey livery was striking and bold when it was first revealed in 1993, but it did not age well. Apart from the dark paint fading (and peeling). it felt stuffy and got dated very quickly. The "rising" livery that followed it was a lot better, particularly the tails, and what was interesting is that the UNITED font/logo that eventually was used on the airplane fuselages was first introduced elsewhere across the airline before the rising logo took hold. I'd actually much rather UA did a retrojet in the 1970's/1980s livery instead.

ArcticSEA

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:01 pm

It isn't April 1 yet.

jayunited

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:05 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Battleship grey - to be reminded of the Summer from Hell? No thanks. That is not a happy part of UA's history, not for passengers or shareholders.

That is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Battleship grey? WOW :lol: :lol:

I actually like the battleship grey livery, the aircraft looked great when it was freshly painted but the problem with it was the fading. About 6-10 months after painting the fading would begin and it was quite noticeable. In my opinion the paint faded a lot quicker during the winter months it seemed like the type 1 deicing fluid would just strip the color right out of the paint. If United painted an aircraft in late September or early October by March the paint had faded, whereas if it was painted in February the paint would last until November or December. Perhaps with new technology they could come create a paint that doesn't fade as quickly.

CWL757

Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:10 pm

This is one of my favourite liveries, but I can't see this livery being done as a retro. Not only does it fade very quick, it represents a dark chapter in UAs history, Financial issues and the photos of UA175 on 9/11 mean it will bring back horrible memories for people. I'd love it, but I can't see it happening.

airbazar

Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Arguably the ugliest livery in United's history, not to mention the livery associated with Ch.11. I doubt very much we'd ever see one.
This is the only United retro livery worth considering, IMO:

FlyCaledonian

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:56 pm

A Saul Bass reto jet would be an interesting concept. UA on one side; CO on the other.

res77W

Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:33 pm

airbazar wrote:
Arguably the ugliest livery in United's history, not to mention the livery associated with Ch.11. I doubt very much we'd ever see one.

They've considered that livery.

-Rowen

bohica

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:39 pm

The image of the UA 767 in battleship gray being flown into #2 WTC is reason enough never to have a retro battleship gray livery. :shakehead:

vegasplanes

Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:15 am

No need to dig up those bones! - A legacy to the "Flip this Airline" mentality of Stephen Wolf (put a new coat of paint on the 'planes and hang the "for sale" sign) and arguably some of the worst of UA's history as discussed above.

Saul Bass for me or Friendship or Rhapsody in Blue - but not Battleship

N965UW

Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:29 pm

I'd love to see it. This may be some fantastical thinking, but instead of a widebody they could paint an A320 or 737 to avoid evoking images of 9/11. They could also base it in IAH to avoid accelerated wear of the paint in winter (although operational necessities will probably have it visiting cold-weather airports occasionally).

It's a shame UA doesn't take the AA approach to having plentiful heritage liveries. Once EvoBlue painting gets going again I hope they spare one a/c for a Continental Globe heritage livery.

MartijnNL

Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:12 pm

bohica wrote:
The image of the UA 767 in battleship gray being flown into #2 WTC is reason enough never to have a retro battleship gray livery. :shakehead:

Not to me. 9/11 wasn't United's fault.

To me United Airlines = Battleship Grey livery.

When I first started travelling internationally this is how United Airlines looked. I remember boarding the new Boeing 777 for the first time, seeing the words Worldwide Service painted on the hull of the aircraft, starting a great trip to the United States.

I have good memories of a spotting holiday to Chicago O'Hare five months before 9/11. Great numbers of Boeing 727's, 737's, 747's, 757's, 767's and 777's, all in the Battleship Grey livery.

Bring it on! Preferably on a Boeing 777.

UA444

Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:49 am

Unfortunately the current clown show have zero reason to want to honor United. They’ll give us 10 CO retro Jets though and shove that tumor globe down our throats though. Also will try to tell us CO invented water.

Long live the Tulip

r6russian

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:38 am

blue tulip was the best UA livery. mainly while, modern, but most importantly, uniquely UA, not a Continental ripoff 2 liveries in a row., Bring back the tulip

TheWorm123

Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:16 pm

airbazar wrote:

Weird how a livery can make 747 look like a packet of cigarettes