Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iwastemyday
Topic Author

NYC-CZM Market

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Looking at Mid March 2021, there are 15 peak daily flights from NYC to Cancun, over 3,000 seats!

I am surprised that no airline has opted to try New York to Cozumel flights during the pandemic. Cozumel is a hot Mexican destination and I am sure it can fill a few planes.

Is there no market in reality or why no nonstop?

Cointrin330

Re: NYC-CZM Market

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:51 pm

UA flies EWR-CZM seasonally, and AA is supposedly launching PHL-CZM in March 2021 (not NYC, I know, but it is a new addition there). Perhaps AA, DL and B6 don't want to cannibalize CUN service they have from JFK? CUN is a big station for all 3.

iwastemyday
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:05 pm

What dates does the seasonal UA flight operate? I cannot see any flights from now to March 2021.

I understand that CUN is the main market. That being said, CUN and CZM are 2 hours apart and not the easiest either as it requires both drive and ferry. I do feel a few daily to CZM would do well and not hurt the CUN.

MIflyer12

Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:21 pm

CUN is one of the biggest non-stop international markets from the U.S. - bigger than CDG, FRA, or MEX. CZM doesn't make the top 40 - so less than about 20% of CUN. Carriers have announced all sorts of routes that would have sounded improbable in 2019, so maybe you'll see it.

If we use a U.S. reference point, every international carrier that flies to EWR or JFK also ought to fly to PHL, because JFK and PHL are two hours apart.

airzim

Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:12 pm

I’ve not been to CZM, but I’ve heard there aren’t any good beaches unlike CUN, and mostly geared toward scuba diving. So of limited appeal to most beach seeking vacationers.

jfklganyc

Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:53 pm

airzim wrote:
I’ve not been to CZM, but I’ve heard there aren’t any good beaches unlike CUN, and mostly geared toward scuba diving. So of limited appeal to most beach seeking vacationers.

Cozumel is spectacular. It is geared toward cruiseship passengers because that’s where they go over Cancun.

I imagine the airlines don’t want to cannibalize their flights to Cancun

drdisque

Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:06 pm

UA is flying IAH-CZM a few times a week and ORD-CZM Saturday only..

The loads on IAH are meh and the loads on ORD so far have been terrible. For some reason there's way more demand for CUN right now (probably because of the huge amount of excess hotel capacity causing crazy deals - one of my friend bought 4 day 5 night package at an all inclusive on the coast south of the hotel zone for like $850/person including air for double occupancy (air is on AA one way and F9 the other) for CHI-CUN.

I'm guessing those amazing deals just aren't out there for CZM hotels.

More puzzling however, is the slow pickup of tourism from the midwest to PVR and SJD and they had both started to get really popular with midwesterners who were looking for something more sophisticated than Cancun but the loads there have been kind of Meh as well. Not great, but not terrible - (like 60-70% on mid-size narrowbodies) on UA from ORD. If they know CUN is open surely they know PVR and SJD are open (and in fact are lower "warning zones" for COVID within Mexico). UA also began Sat only ORD-ZIH this weekend on the A319 and it actually booked decently. It helps that they fly IAH-ZIH on an E-175 daily.

iwastemyday
Topic Author

Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:46 pm

drdisque wrote:
UA is flying IAH-CZM a few times a week and ORD-CZM Saturday only..

The loads on IAH are meh and the loads on ORD so far have been terrible. For some reason there's way more demand for CUN right now (probably because of the huge amount of excess hotel capacity causing crazy deals - one of my friend bought 4 day 5 night package at an all inclusive on the coast south of the hotel zone for like $850/person including air for double occupancy (air is on AA one way and F9 the other) for CHI-CUN.

I'm guessing those amazing deals just aren't out there for CZM hotels.

More puzzling however, is the slow pickup of tourism from the midwest to PVR and SJD and they had both started to get really popular with midwesterners who were looking for something more sophisticated than Cancun but the loads there have been kind of Meh as well. Not great, but not terrible - (like 60-70% on mid-size narrowbodies) on UA from ORD. If they know CUN is open surely they know PVR and SJD are open (and in fact are lower "warning zones" for COVID within Mexico). UA also began Sat only ORD-ZIH this weekend on the A319 and it actually booked decently. It helps that they fly IAH-ZIH on an E-175 daily.

Thanks for that! It’s for posts like these that make this site as great as it is, load factors etc.

I guess demand just is not there, although I would think if jetblue can make JFK to EYW work surely they can do a 1-2x daily CZM, but I guess not.

Any idea of PDEW for NYC-CZM?