Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nicknuzzii
Topic Author

US set to require a negative test for US bound intl pax

Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Gonna be interesting to see how demand reacts and how the test is carried out. Let me know what you think below!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... ravel.html

Dieuwer

Re: US set to require a negative test for US bound intl pax

Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 pm

I think it will hurt international travel, especially to Mexico. Most people probably would not want to risk it being stranded in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter.
Also, I doubt the infrastructure to test thousands/millions of Americans returning home simply isn't there. Just think of how crazy busy the PVR or CUN terminal can be with pax. How is that supposed to work?

Also, the legal implications are unclear at this moment. Can an airline refuse American citizens a return home if they do not/cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test? I am sure, a private airline can refuse anyone from boarding, but acting as an agent of the government? What does this mean for citizenship? Or having a passport? Did it become meaningless?

aklrno

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:00 pm

I think the real problem is that this is borderline useless and can provide a false sense of security. There is no way to know if the traveller contracted the disease after being tested. The only safe thing at the moment is a post-travel quarantine.

Since significant numbers of people will be vaccinated in the next few months, a reliable vaccination certificate seems more likely to help.

Kent350787

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:18 am

aklrno wrote:
I think the real problem is that this is borderline useless and can provide a false sense of security. There is no way to know if the traveller contracted the disease after being tested. The only safe thing at the moment is a post-travel quarantine.

Since significant numbers of people will be vaccinated in the next few months, a reliable vaccination certificate seems more likely to help.

Given the infection rates in the US already, is this measure likely to active anything?

Australia and NZ (I think) are looking at a similar measure, to try and reduce the number of cases in their hotel quarantine systems, and possible transmission into the wider community. The total 200 or so current active cases in NSW (population 8 million) can be traced back to genomic types in hotel quarantine or via aircrews. Aircrew quarantine has been tightened up nationally as a result.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

FCOTSTW

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 am

Dieuwer wrote:
I think it will hurt international travel, especially to Mexico. Most people probably would not want to risk it being stranded in Mexico or anywhere else for that matter.
Also, I doubt the infrastructure to test thousands/millions of Americans returning home simply isn't there. Just think of how crazy busy the PVR or CUN terminal can be with pax. How is that supposed to work?

Also, the legal implications are unclear at this moment. Can an airline refuse American citizens a return home if they do not/cannot provide a negative COVID-19 test? I am sure, a private airline can refuse anyone from boarding, but acting as an agent of the government? What does this mean for citizenship? Or having a passport? Did it become meaningless?

Spot on. Who wants to go on vacation in order to worry for a COVID-negative test?
Would you risk to stay in Mexico or the Caribbean in quarantine, possibly without medical coverage?

lightsaber

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:28 am

Kent350787 wrote:
aklrno wrote:

Given the infection rates in the US already, is this measure likely to active anything?

Australia and NZ (I think) are looking at a similar measure, to try and reduce the number of cases in their hotel quarantine systems, and possible transmission into the wider community. The total 200 or so current active cases in NSW (population 8 million) can be traced back to genomic types in hotel quarantine or via aircrews. Aircrew quarantine has been tightened up nationally as a result.

Something needs to slow the disease, in particular new strains.

There will be more strains, for that, there is a purpose to requiring the test.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

davidjohnson6

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 am

This likely destroys any demand for non-essential international travel. Leisure trips becomes almost solely domestic, and even business travel is strongly coerced to be within domestic borders.

That said, this is highly likely to slow the spread of disease

ubeema

US set to require a negative test for US bound intl pax

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:04 am

Dieuwer wrote:

Airlines do what authorities require them to do. Since 9/11 airlines are another arm of governments around the world. I can’t count how many times an airline rep asked me questions that I thought only a consular officer or border patrol could ever ask a passenger. CDC is pretty clear on this:
Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must confirm the negative test result for all passengers or documentation of recovery before they board. If a passenger does not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery, or chooses not to take a test, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021 ... ngers.html

KrustyTheKlown

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 am

Many countries have implemented similar policies and you'll find that people are keep traveling for leisure.

Somebody I know who lives in Colombia has twice gone to Cancun and Miami for leisure since the pandemic started despite the fact that Colombia requires him to present a negative PCR test result before being allowed to return.

enilria

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:55 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
This likely destroys any demand for non-essential international travel. Leisure trips becomes almost solely domestic, and even business travel is strongly coerced to be within domestic borders.

You mean slow the spread of the disease to countries outside the USA? The USA is the most infected country in the world. How does this improve anything in the USA?

enilria

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 am

KrustyTheKlown wrote:
Many countries have implemented similar policies and you'll find that people are keep traveling for leisure.

Somebody I know who lives in Colombia has twice gone to Cancun and Miami for leisure since the pandemic started despite the fact that Colombia requires him to present a negative PCR test result before being allowed to return.

Previously a small % of CUN travelers needed tests to return. The infrastructure was sufficient for that. Imagine increasing that by probably 300x to accommodate the USA market. Not possible.

FlyingHonu001

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:58 am

No surprise, DL was already trialing this on the outbkunds ATL - AMS and ATL - FCO last month. It was a matter of time when were gonna see this for the way back

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/gb ... -euro.html

ubeema

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:05 am

Many African countries have added negative test as conditions to obtain visa. They were early adopters of stringent protocols.

9252fly

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:15 am

enilria wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

You mean slow the spread of the disease to countries outside the USA? The USA is the most infected country in the world. How does this improve anything in the USA?

I think the intent is an attempt to mitigate new more contagious variants of Covid from worsening an already dire situation.

DocLightning

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:37 am

I'd say that at least half of the COVID-19 cases I saw after the Holidays came in with a story of: "We all went to my mother's/grandmother's/aunt's/etc. house for dinner, but we all got tested first, and now everyone who was there is sick."

I think that this will have some small effect of curbing the influx of new cases, but it will probably be negligible.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:14 am

So this virus (Covid) has been called by many in the medical field a cousin to the common cold. The way certain governments (Canada, Australia, USA, Great Britain, etc) and particular airlines such as Porter, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada, etc, have reacted to this is absolutely ridiculous. They’ve become stupid and overreacted to a virus that has a 99% survival rate, etc. You have a better chance statistically of surviving if you get Covid than you do of a vaccine successfully working if you get the shot.

This is going to kill international travel to/from the US. Any small hope or momentum the airlines were hoping for from international travel is gone for the for see able future. Governments, certain airlines, many people, have gone absolutely stupid and are simply letting fear drive these terrible decisions.

RIP airline industry, hospitality industry, and overall travel and tourism industry. Absolutely ridiculous.

vedatil4

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:16 am

I wonder what will happen to US travelers if they happen to test positive on the way back from CUN (or any non-USA airport)? Will they be left stranded in a foreign country? In Mexico perhaps they could make their way back to the border and cross by foot but what about overseas or on islands? I hope they got good travel insurance before leaving.

vedatil4

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:20 am

Dieuwer wrote:

I can see the right-to-return happening at a land crossing but does it apply on a US ship or aircraft at a foreign location? Having that USA passport isn't the same as travel insurance I imagine. Could they make their way to consulate or embassy and ask for help there? Yeah, lots of "what if"s come up.

mercure1

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 am

Going on vacation to the Caribbean or Mexico is hardly "Essential Travel"

The less travel, the less opportunity for infections and transmissions from one location to another.
mercure f-wtcc

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:20 am

mercure1 wrote:
Going on vacation to the Caribbean or Mexico is hardly "Essential Travel"

The less travel, the less opportunity for infections and transmissions from one location to another.

It’s not the Black Plague/death. Get real. It’s a cousin to the common cold. Once people, government, etc stop acting like it’s the plague and stop letting fear prevail over common sense and wake up and put their stupidity aside, then things will improve.

continental004

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:42 am

This new and long overdue measure is going to adversely affect Mexico, the Caribbean and Costa Rica. On the other hand, I can see a surge in demand for PR and the USVI, as those are the two most "exotic" and easily accessible US territories. Hawaii and Florida are also going to see a surge in demand from Americans looking for a warm, tropical vacation.

eamondzhang

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:49 am

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
So this virus (Covid) has been called by many in the medical field a cousin to the common cold. The way certain governments (Canada, Australia, USA, Great Britain, etc) and particular airlines such as Porter, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada, etc, have reacted to this is absolutely ridiculous. They’ve become stupid and overreacted to a virus that has a 99% survival rate, etc. You have a better chance statistically of surviving if you get Covid than you do of a vaccine successfully working if you get the shot.

This is going to kill international travel to/from the US. Any small hope or momentum the airlines were hoping for from international travel is gone for the for see able future. Governments, certain airlines, many people, have gone absolutely stupid and are simply letting fear drive these terrible decisions.

RIP airline industry, hospitality industry, and overall travel and tourism industry. Absolutely ridiculous.

Oh yeah, so you think that trying to prevent people from having long term effects on your heart, kidney, liver, fertility etc. is ridiculous and people should be allowed to travel and die like the USA is.

In places like Australia where you have government-funded medical system this is the last thing government will want. And educated people who read real news and scientific essays instead of rubbish off Facebook and Twitter will hold the same opinion.

For the USA, better fix the own s*@t first as this is not going anywhere with what's going on there.

Michael

chonetsao

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:09 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Oh yeah, so you think that trying to prevent people from having long term effects on your heart, kidney, liver, fertility etc. is ridiculous and people should be allowed to travel and die like the USA is.

In places like Australia where you have government-funded medical system this is the last thing government will want. And educated people who read real news and scientific essays instead of rubbish off Facebook and Twitter will hold the same opinion.

For the USA, better fix the own s*@t first as this is not going anywhere with what's going on there.

Michael

Michael, I agree with you. But people do have their own opinion and are very frustrated atm. It is better to let it go and hopefully some of them may realise themselves one day with the medical evidences.

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:25 pm

chonetsao wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Michael

Michael, I agree with you. But people do have their own opinion and are very frustrated atm. It is better to let it go and hopefully some of them may realise themselves one day with the medical evidences.

The fact that these “medical experts” have been contradicting themselves from the very beginning has made them lose all credibility. I’m never going to take this scamdemic/plandemic seriously. I feel for all the people in the tourism and travel industry that will be affected by this ridiculous requirement. Hopefully the airlines can make it through this mess.

saleya22r

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Comprising EU/Schengen countries as well?

Quoting https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... id-testing

The new standard would apparently replace a broader ban on entry for most non-U.S. citizens traveling from 28 European nations that was imposed by the Department of Homeland Security after a presidential proclamation on March 11.

So, basically it would be travel between two hotspots. Waiting to be vaccinated first...
In fact, several European countries have similar or more deaths related to covid per 1 M than the U.S.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

USAir707

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
It’s not the Black Plague/death. Get real. It’s a cousin to the common cold. Once people, government, etc stop acting like it’s the plague and stop letting fear prevail over common sense and wake up and put their stupidity aside, then things will improve.

Amen! I absolutely agree. I can't help but laugh at how people over-react to a simple virus.

USAir707

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:39 pm

I don't understand how they feel that testing will increase demand to travel? I can tell you right now it absolutely will not and that it will have a massive negative effect. While it may be easy to get tested in some countries, in others, it is virtually impossible, especially within the 3 day time frame. Heck, in a major city here in the US, it was near impossible for us to find a place (late summer when numbers were down) that could get results back to us within 3 days. How are you supposed to do the same thing in a foreign or even third world country? And better yet, why are we waiting until a YEAR after the hype about the virus started to require testing? lol...

This requirement is seriously going to kill all but essential travel from the US. I know we enjoyed traveling internationally in recent months due to a lack of tourists and cheap prices, but i know for a fact that we will not travel abroad with these new testing measures to get back home. Especially since testing is so unreliable. Trust me, I have had many tests done over the past year. When I am healthy, my tests show i am positive for it, and when i am sick, it shows negative. I think i have tested positive for COVID two or three times now, which just goes to show how these tests are not reliable.

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:49 pm

USAir707 wrote:
I don't understand how they feel that testing will increase demand to travel? I can tell you right now it absolutely will not and that it will have a massive negative effect. While it may be easy to get tested in some countries, in others, it is virtually impossible, especially within the 3 day time frame. Heck, in a major city here in the US, it was near impossible for us to find a place (late summer when numbers were down) that could get results back to us within 3 days. How are you supposed to do the same thing in a foreign or even third world country? And better yet, why are we waiting until a YEAR after the hype about the virus started to require testing? lol...

This requirement is seriously going to kill all but essential travel from the US. I know we enjoyed traveling internationally in recent months due to a lack of tourists and cheap prices, but i know for a fact that we will not travel abroad with these new testing measures to get back home. Especially since testing is so unreliable. Trust me, I have had many tests done over the past year. When I am healthy, my tests show i am positive for it, and when i am sick, it shows negative. I think i have tested positive for COVID two or three times now, which just goes to show how these tests are not reliable.

I agree with everything you said. This is crazy and I don’t see how the airlines are in favor of this. Too bad it’s got to this point, such a shame.

Dieuwer

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:30 pm

It seems we have completely lost the plot and have moved the goal posts once again.
The original premise was that we wanted to make sure hospitals are not overflowing. It was never the intention to "eradicate COVID" or something like that. Reduced airtravel will have a minor effect at the most. But unfortunately it will have an outsized impact on countries that need tourism to survive.
It is high time politicians start doing a cost-benefit analysis and determine whether "the cure" is worse than the "disease".

https://www.vox.com/21525068/covid-19-a ... c-airports

LAXintl

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:49 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:

This is crazy and I don’t see how the airlines are in favor of this.

Airline support this as it builds predictability for the traveler, which in turn will make them more comfortable knowing the rules when booking.

A world of standardized pre and post-travel testing along with quarantines is much more favorable than the current balkanized border closures, bans and adhoc rules adopted from location to location.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Dieuwer

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:58 pm

LAXintl wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

This is crazy and I don’t see how the airlines are in favor of this.

Airline support this as it builds predictability for the traveler, which in turn will make them more comfortable knowing the rules when booking.

How is testing "predictable"? You can't know upfront what the outcome of the test will be.

mercure1

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:20 pm

I agree with a well-defined requirement for testing both prior to departure and after arrival along with prescribed quarantine rules globally would be the best-layered approach to allow for more plannable travel experience.

Now if we could also only get testing on domestic flights that would help tighten and reduce risk further. After all why stop someone travelling from London to New York if you won't stop them from New York to California.

Dieuwer wrote:
How is testing "predictable"? You can't know upfront what the outcome of the test will be.

And thankfully you then know and can avoid travelling and risking your and others health!
mercure f-wtcc

USAir707

Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:45 pm

mercure1 wrote:
I agree with a well-defined requirement for testing both prior to departure and after arrival along with prescribed quarantine rules globally would be the best-layered approach to allow for more plannable travel experience.

Now if we could also only get testing on domestic flights that would help tighten and reduce risk further. After all why stop someone travelling from London to New York if you won't stop them from New York to California.

Nothing offensive to you, but that is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard... Maybe we should have police at all state borders for people driving in cars that cross state lines, or boats on the rivers, or people traveling by train... Also, God forbid, but what about people hiking or riding bikes along trails that span the length of many states. Let's have people monitor everything because simply implementing one testing measure is futile when there are a thousand other ways to get it... Not to mention the influx of illegal people crossing the border from Central America. Do you think border patrol will stop them and say "Hey you, stop, did you get tested for covid prior to sneaking across the border? Oh you did, ok, keep going".

Also, who is going to want to go on vacation when you need to get tested before departure, quarantine at the location, and then test before coming home. No one! People go away for a few days up to a week on average. Who goes through all that hassle so they can say "ahh, we reached our destination. Now we can sit in our hotel room for a week until we leave to fly home".... lol. Seriously.

We need to protect those "at-risk" and they need to protect themselves. Why does 99.5% of the world need to stop living a normal life because of the 0.05% of people who should be concerned about their own health and taking precautions on their own.

LAXintl

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:07 pm

USAir707 wrote:
[
Also, who is going to want to go on vacation when you need to get tested before departure, quarantine at the location, and then test before coming home. No one! People go away for a few days up to a week on average. Who goes through all that hassle so they can say "ahh, we reached our destination. Now we can sit in our hotel room for a week until we leave to fly home".... lol.

If you forgot, a vacation is not considered 'Essential Travel'.

So no you should not be planning weekend holidays, and yes testing and quarantines should largely make them impossible anyhow if people would actually follow recommendations.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Midwestindy

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 pm

LAXintl wrote:
USAir707 wrote:
[
Also, who is going to want to go on vacation when you need to get tested before departure, quarantine at the location, and then test before coming home. No one! People go away for a few days up to a week on average. Who goes through all that hassle so they can say "ahh, we reached our destination. Now we can sit in our hotel room for a week until we leave to fly home".... lol.

So no you should not be planning weekend holidays, and yes testing and quarantines should largely make them impossible anyhow if people would actually follow recommendations.

Why stop there???? Let's test everyone before they eat at a restaurant!

People need to stop blaming air travel for the spread of COVID
https://www.6sqft.com/74-of-new-yorks-c ... atherings/
ORD & IND

AA & DL

USAir707

Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:30 am

LAXintl wrote:

Why shouldn't I be planning holidays and living my life like normal? COVID-19 is not the bubonic plague. Heck, it isn't even the Spanish Flu of 1918.... Scientifically and medically, COVID-19 only impacts those that are very elderly (70+) or those with health issues or compromised immune systems. Those are the people that need to take precautions and protect themselves. Myself and my family are healthy, and we will do whatever we want to maintain a "normal life", even though most of the world has lost their minds.

If people want to get out and see the world, travel, visit friends/family, great! If others want to sit at home in fear, that is their right as well.

Also, another scientific fact, you are SAFER sitting on an airplane than in a hospital due to the ventilation on aircraft.

We had two more beach trips out of the country planned for the coming 2-3 months, and with these insane new rules, will need to cancel them.

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 am

USAir707 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Amen! I absolutely agree. I can't help but laugh at how people over-react to a simple virus.

AMEN, AMEN. Can we just live normally. COVID is nothing worse than cold. All of this is about government control and EFFING up the economy.

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:21 am

USAir707 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Nothing offensive to you, but that is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard... Maybe we should have police at all state borders for people driving in cars that cross state lines, or boats on the rivers, or people traveling by train... Also, God forbid, but what about people hiking or riding bikes along trails that span the length of many states. Let's have people monitor everything because simply implementing one testing measure is futile when there are a thousand other ways to get it... Not to mention the influx of illegal people crossing the border from Central America. Do you think border patrol will stop them and say "Hey you, stop, did you get tested for covid prior to sneaking across the border? Oh you did, ok, keep going".

Also, who is going to want to go on vacation when you need to get tested before departure, quarantine at the location, and then test before coming home. No one! People go away for a few days up to a week on average. Who goes through all that hassle so they can say "ahh, we reached our destination. Now we can sit in our hotel room for a week until we leave to fly home".... lol. Seriously.

We need to protect those "at-risk" and they need to protect themselves. Why does 99.5% of the world need to stop living a normal life because of the 0.05% of people who should be concerned about their own health and taking precautions on their own.

Exactly, all of these draconian restrictions are getting ridiculous, what about the mental health side effects from being told its dangerous to go outside. This covid nonsense is ridiculous now. All of this is nonsense. I am living as normally as I can, I don't travel anywhere with testing restrictions, I don't wanna be apart of the statistics for this common cold.

DylanHarvey

Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:23 am

USAir707 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Why shouldn't I be planning holidays and living my life like normal? COVID-19 is not the bubonic plague. Heck, it isn't even the Spanish Flu of 1918.... Scientifically and medically, COVID-19 only impacts those that are very elderly (70+) or those with health issues or compromised immune systems. Those are the people that need to take precautions and protect themselves. Myself and my family are healthy, and we will do whatever we want to maintain a "normal life", even though most of the world has lost their minds.

If people want to get out and see the world, travel, visit friends/family, great! If others want to sit at home in fear, that is their right as well.

Also, another scientific fact, you are SAFER sitting on an airplane than in a hospital due to the ventilation on aircraft.

We had two more beach trips out of the country planned for the coming 2-3 months, and with these insane new rules, will need to cancel them.

I feel your pain, I needed to cancel a flight to PUJ with my wife, because these draconian testing and quarantine restrictions are controlling, nonsensical, and the "cure" is worse than the disease

bfitzflyer

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:57 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
USAir707 wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

AMEN, AMEN. Can we just live normally. COVID is nothing worse than cold. All of this is about government control and EFFING up the economy.

This is the attitude that has caused so far 400K deaths in the US.

Vasu

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:11 pm

There are some really worrying comments on this thread. I can’t stand the current restrictions over here in Europe but if it helps the whole issue get dealt with that little bit quicker then heck, seeing the world again can wait!

FlyHappy

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 am

sometimes ya just gotta let people rant.
*sigh*

b787900

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:51 am

enilria wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:

This is incorrect. Per capita, the US is not the most infected country in the world. I still cannot believe nor will ever understand why people don't verify factual information readily available online before making and/or posting false claims..

Sources::
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_ ... _territory

eamondzhang wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:

Michael

Funny. Before making inaccurate claims, educated people who read real news and scientific essays also tend to check readily available factual sources such as the ones already posted in this thread and elsewhere. Additionally, the vast majority of Western European nations are doing hardly any better than the US, and some noticeably worse, especially as far as the death rate per 100,000 people. Case fatality rate is also greater in many European countries than in the US. It is truly stunning and mind-blowing that these facts are largely ignored or conveniently swept under the rug. I guess political sentiment is at play, plain and simple. Just wow!... Quite a few countries need to fix their own backyard first before even attempting to make any kind of "noise", let alone point fingers.

Nevertheless, in my opinion, in these difficult times, looking after one another, especially close family members and elderly is especially important. My other concern is, the airline, hospitality and restaurant industries may not recover for a very, very long time given the sheer number of tight restrictions and mandatory quarantine periods everywhere. Sadly, millions of small private businesses all around the world are on the verge of total extinction. It will be a painful and long road to full economic recovery.
Flew in: 717, 732-7M9, 744, 74H, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 772, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, 781, 223, 313, 318, 319, 32D, 320, 32A, 32N, 321, 32B, 32Q, 332, 333, 343, 346, 359, 351, 388, M11, M88, ER3, ER4, E70, E75, E90, E95, CR2, CR7, CR9, F50, F70, AN-24, TU5

Kent350787

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 pm

Just on the data, yes there are some overblown claims. The US does not have the highest infection rate in the world, but the Czech Republic is the only country with a population over 1 million with a higher per capita rate than the USA. A number of major European nations have a higher per capita death rate than the USA, largely due to their first wave, as does little Britain outside the EU.

Both the US and the UK are traditionally major inbound travel nations for Australia. I reckon both will have significant restrictions placed on them for quite some time for my country. I knew life was cheap in the US, but the UK has surprised me a bit
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

MartijnNL

Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:35 am

USAir707 wrote:

For me the number of cancelled flights because of this whole thing stands at 26. It is what it is.

Life with two less beach trips is perfectly survivable. Have you tried reading a book? Or getting on a bicycle?

Last summer I tried something new. After more than one hundred flying holidays I went on my first cycling holiday. Spread over ten days I travelled 500 mi / 800 km through my own country. It was a very rewarding experience.

I have worked from home for 43 weeks now. So far my children have been home for 19 of those weeks, with more to follow. A part of my life has come to a standstill for almost a year now.

A negative test doesn't sound insane to me. You could always book a domestic trip. Florida and Hawaii are still accessible to you. Not to us Europeans though. We just live according to the words of Sydney Youngblood.

A year has come, a year has gone,
Still hanging tough, the blues is going on.
Fingers walk the edge of time,
My heart is burning, I'm ready to fly.

All we can do is to sit and wait,
All we can do is just to sit and wait.
They say: All we can do is to sit and wait,
All we can do, yeah, that's what they say.
Sit and wait, sit and wait, just sit and wait.