Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qazar
Topic Author

Looking for historical info on routes

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Dear Airliners,

I'm looking for information on airline routes - in particular dates when airlines originally first started particular routes (example: when did Lufthansa first ever start flying to Bangkok, or Johannesburg, or Tokyo,....).

Unfortunately with COVID-19 related groundings, most info on the internet reflects the resumption of routes making searches of original route beginnings very difficult. Anyone knows of a particular site or source where all this info would be compiled?

Thanks for your input and regards to you all.

hoons90

Re: Looking for historical info on routes

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:14 pm

I don't believe there's a centralized source that's available to the general public. If you have access to OAG Schedules Analyzer (very expensive I believe), you can search airline schedules as far back as 1979. Otherwise, you can search for old news articles through Google. Some airlines have a timeline page that lists when they started flying to a particular destination.

Cathay Pacific for example has this:

https://downloads.cathaypacific.com/cx/ ... lights.pdf
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

davidjohnson6

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Wikipedia has a pretty good record of airline routes back to about 2005, and includes the start dates of all routes that began after about 2005 - but you'll need to do a bit of searching for this. Major airports are likely to have better quality info, while minor airports might not have good date until a year or so later

mdavies06

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 pm

I know you are not just looking at LH and not just specifically BKK, JNB and HND - but just an FYI these three are in fact already listed in wikipedia -> they dated to 1961-1962. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa

Tabito

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:44 pm

Qazar wrote:
example: when did Lufthansa first ever start flying to Bangkok, or Johannesburg, or Tokyo,....).

Lufthansa's inaugural flight to Tokyo was January 23, 1961.
LH 640/646 FRA-FCO-CAI-DHA-KHI-CCU-BKK-HKG-HND by B-707.
Inaugural to OSA (ITM) was April 3, 1969.
LH 650/652/654 FRA-DUS/HAM/CPH-ANC-HND-ITM by B-707.

FGITD

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:18 pm

http://www.departedflights.com

I believe either the creator or someone otherwise involved with the site posts on here from time to time.

The database is constantly expanding, and while a bit US-Centric, there's a substantial amount of international carrier info. Outstanding website, in my opinion

Qazar
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:37 pm

Tabito wrote:
Qazar wrote:
example: when did Lufthansa first ever start flying to Bangkok, or Johannesburg, or Tokyo,....).

Lufthansa's inaugural flight to Tokyo was January 23, 1961.
LH 640/646 FRA-FCO-CAI-DHA-KHI-CCU-BKK-HKG-HND by B-707.
Inaugural to OSA (ITM) was April 3, 1969.
LH 650/652/654 FRA-DUS/HAM/CPH-ANC-HND-ITM by B-707.

WOW!!!! Thanks for the info.... And that is impressive 8 legs to get to Tokyo.... What an itinerary!!!!! I would have LOVED to be on such a flight!

Thanks for sharing! Is there a source you refer to in order to get such detailed information?

Qazar
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:38 pm

FGITD wrote:
http://www.departedflights.com

I believe either the creator or someone otherwise involved with the site posts on here from time to time.

The database is constantly expanding, and while a bit US-Centric, there's a substantial amount of international carrier info. Outstanding website, in my opinion

Thank you so much FDITD.... I'll check it out! Cheers!