Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

x1234
Topic Author

Using a VPN to get cheaper air tickets.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:00 am

Anyone have experience with this? One of my favourite YouTubers was promoting a VPN service that in addition to getting over the Chinese firewall, by setting your destination country to a less developed one (like China or India or South Africa or Nigeria) you can gain cheaper air tickets. https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/how-to-s ... ith-a-vpn/

One of the example was a flight for JFK-AMS-DEL and using a Indian IP address yielded a price of $950 round-trip while a US IP yielded flights nearly 3x that at $3400 in economy.

Fuling

Re: Using a VPN to get cheaper air tickets.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:53 am

I usually just change the country location on the website for better deals. It can work too. Early last year I was quoted 28000 yen ($250 USD) for Haneda-Osaka Itami return on ANA's Japan site, but only $198 for the exact same itinerary on their US site.

aklrno

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:09 am

I used to do something similar on flights between LAX and AKL. I’d just set the web page location setting to US or NZ and see which cost less. The difference in a business class ticket could be quite large. To make it actually sell you a ticket you had to be able to pay in the appropriate origin currency. Having both US and NZ credit cards I could do that. In recent years as currency exchange rates stabilized that trick rarely works for me. I haven’t been on a long haul flight for nearly a year because of COVID but since I expect my first vaccine in 5 days I’m about to start shopping.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:19 am

It worked for me once on Ryanair.

I had been monitoring a flight I was willing to book for a while, however I had to wait for my employer to approve my days off. Just when I got that approval and I went to book, the price had gone up. You guessed it, I had looked at that flight too often. However when I looked at that same flight through a VPN, it showed the old price. After all they couldn't see it was me looking at it as I came from another IP-address. So I booked it.

The funny thing is that after I clicked to book, I turned off the VPN and continued the booking from my regular IP-address. However by then the price had already been agreed on so they couldn't change it anymore.

Ryanair doesn't work with cookies to monitor how often someone watches the price for a certain flight, they know users can delete cookies. Instead they keep a list of IP-addresses on their servers with registers how often that IP-address looks at which flight. By coming from a different IP-address you can fool their system.

debonair

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:10 pm

Yes, can't agree more. Living in Germany I needed a one-way ticket from Asia back home. Prices were ridiculously high - but I found a phenomenal deal on Expedia in (if I remember correctly) Malaysia. Even with the exchange rate it was only a quarter what I paid.

I am looking in the moment for cheap flights in Europe this summer (yes I know the current situation)... In the past I used Spanish OTA, which were always cheaper than the direct offer ex Germany. However, even with a VPN access, there are no more huge savings possible. Anyone here with a recommendation were to find cheaper flights nowadays? ThanX!

eta unknown

Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:19 pm

Beware of Spanish OTA Travelgenio... we had so many problems with their pax I had to instruct my ticket office during pre-flight checks to find their bookings and ensure there was a ticket number attached to them! That OTA also has an issue with not seeing real time availability with some systems so they quote fares that are sold out- the they cancel the booking with no explanation.

However, I once used LOT's China site to buy a ticket originating in Italy at $100 less than the Italian site and in a higher booking subclass (25% more miles) .