Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OZperso
Topic Author

BA lesser known discontinued services

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:01 am

new to this website, so might take a bit of time for me to settle in

I was going through some of my travel memoirs and found a plane ticket for a BA flight from London to Harare, back then known as Salisbury, dating back from probably the late-90s or something, and it made me wonder which routes did British Airways operate that were not that known? I know they once flew to Venezuela back when it was booming in business, and to Liberia once when it was Ebola-free, but the rest I'm clueless..

hoons90

Re: BA lesser known discontinued services

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:56 am

Although "unknown" is rather subjective, I'll list the ones that BA hasn't flown for many years.
Nagoya and Fukuoka (via Osaka) were both served in the 90s. They also flew to Taipei, Manila, Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

davidjohnson6

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:31 am

OZperso
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:41 am

Ah yes, Nagoya, specifically Nagoya Komaki Airport. Way back when I was younger Tokyo was overcrowded, so Nagoya was bustling with all the major international airlines, like Qantas, BA, Air France, etc.

USAirALB

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:48 am

I wouldn't call Harare lesser known. It was a popular and profitable route well into the 2000s when things in the country started to go haywire. BA technically still services HRE via JNB through their South African franchise agreement.

I would add CLT to the mix. It was launched as part of the US/BA alliance during the 1990s where US stopped serving CLT-LON with their own metal (US resumed CLT-LON with their own metal in the late 1990s when the partnership ended). It was a 763 for most of the 1990s until it began to operate for a while with the 772.

After 9/11 the CLT-LGW nonstop ended and the flight was routed CLT-BWI-LHR on the 762. They ended the CLT tag in Fall 2002.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

ZK-NBT

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:51 am

hoons90 wrote:
Although "unknown" is rather subjective, I'll list the ones that BA hasn't flown for many years.
Nagoya and Fukuoka (via Osaka) were both served in the 90s. They also flew to Taipei, Manila, Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland.

Adelaide and Christchurch were also served, ADL for a number of years through the 80s probably early 90s, CHC 87/89 a weekly 747 made a stop on one of the AKL flights from PER. Those are probably lessor known.

OZperso
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:34 am

USAirALB wrote:
I wouldn't call Harare lesser known. It was a popular and profitable route well into the 2000s when things in the country started to go haywire. BA technically still services HRE via JNB through their South African franchise agreement.

Now that I think of it, Qantas, Air France and Lufthansa also serviced Harare, either one-stop style or direct from their point of origin.

In fact, I think Nagoya had a similar situation with its airlines, except that things didn't spiral overboard, they just built Itami and everything subsided.

USAirALB

Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:54 pm

OZperso wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

Now that I think of it, Qantas, Air France and Lufthansa also serviced Harare, either one-stop style or direct from their point of origin.

In fact, I think Nagoya had a similar situation with its airlines, except that things didn't spiral overboard, they just built Itami and everything subsided.

SR, KLM (discontinued the route in 2014), and AZ also served HRE once upon a time as well.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

bfitzflyer

Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:05 pm

OZperso wrote:
new to this website, so might take a bit of time for me to settle in

I was going through some of my travel memoirs and found a plane ticket for a BA flight from London to Harare, back then known as Salisbury, dating back from probably the late-90s or something, and it made me wonder which routes did British Airways operate that were not that known? I know they once flew to Venezuela back when it was booming in business, and to Liberia once when it was Ebola-free, but the rest I'm clueless..

Harare was renamed from Salisbury in the early 80's.

MartijnNL

Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:48 pm

OZperso wrote:

They build Chubu Centrair. ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chubu_C ... al_Airport

Chubu Centrair was the first airport in Asia where I enjoyed a day of planespotting. Such a great experience in the fall of 2008.

leftcoast8

Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:39 pm

hoons90 wrote:
They also flew to Taipei, Manila, Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland.

I presume pulling out of TPE was to appease the PRC, but why Manila? Isn't it a booming city? And why did BA end service to so many Aus-NZ capital cities?

ZK-NBT

Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:00 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

I presume pulling out of TPE was to appease the PRC, but why Manila? Isn't it a booming city? And why did BA end service to so many Aus-NZ capital cities?

Most of the routes dropped were in the 1990s when codeshares became more of a thing and you didn’t need to fly your own aircraft to every city. A lot of the routes were fairly low frequency, AKL was 3 weekly as a tag to PER and other cities over the years. They started a codeshare via LAX, BA operated LHR-LAX and QF LAX-AKL which quickly was a daily connection.

Also NZ Australia have to stop some where and are aircraft intensive, and need a lot of extra crew, most of Australia was through SIN with BA running LHR-SIN, and QF SIN-BNE/PER/ADL, QF did run LHR-SIN-MEL/SYD.

OZperso
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:20 pm

I know a few former routes that suffered the same fate as Harare, like Caracas and Monrovia

OZperso
Topic Author

Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:26 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
hoons90 wrote:

I presume pulling out of TPE was to appease the PRC.

I think a number of airlines still wanted to fly to Taiwan (and HK during British rule for that matter) without causing a ruckus between the PRC and ROC, so they just decided to temporarily create an airline whose name would be pretty neutral, e.g. Qantas created Australia Asia Airlines, BA created British Asia Airways.

Philippine747

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:41 am

hoons90 wrote:

Fun fact about MNL: Until a few years ago, you could see the signs pointing to BA's Club Lounge at Terminal 1 long after they pulled out...
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

klm617

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:41 am

British Airways also dropped Detroit-London. Not because of lack of demand but because they couldn't compete with Northwest when it was grated access to Heathrow.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

David_itl

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:18 am

MAN-ATH on Saturdays in the 1990s. Was advertised locally as Partthenon-stop. BA880/881 using 757s, with aircraft having flowing up on a normal shuttle service early in the morning then doing the ATH trip before heading back to LHR otherwiise it have stayed on the ground at MAN nearly all day.

MAN-MUC-DXB-BKK-HKG using L1011s in the late 1980s using L1011s. BA22/21 which after a couple of years became LHR-MAN-HKG and LGW-MAN-HKG on 747s operating on the days that Cathay Pacific did so MAN had 4 weekly flights to HKG with 2 on Tuesday and 2 on Friday.

OZperso
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:46 pm

I found out that BA apparently flew to some post-soviet countries, e.g. Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, etc, but they've been terminated, wonder why? did they terminate it during soviet times or what?

davidjohnson6

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:00 am

Not BA, but actually BMED or British Mediterranean Airways who flew under a BA franchise agreement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_M ... an_Airways

jetwet1

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:22 am

klm617 wrote:
British Airways also dropped Detroit-London. Not because of lack of demand but because they couldn't compete with Northwest when it was grated access to Heathrow.

That's stretching the facts a little, they didn't even bother trying to compete, the market just isn't large enough ex UK to have two airlines where one (I very much grant you) is dominant on the far larger side of the market.

OZperso
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:26 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Not BA, but actually BMED or British Mediterranean Airways who flew under a BA franchise agreement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_M ... an_Airways

So that’s why it read BMED on my old ticket from LHR to Tashkent!

Also, Ethiopia and Uganda were once serviced by BA. did some scavenging and found out Addis Ababa was serviced around 3-4 decades ago, probably as a stopover to Seychelles service, and Uganda ended in 2015, but is de facto still serviced due to the whole comair thing with BA?

klm617

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:19 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

That's stretching the facts a little, they didn't even bother trying to compete, the market just isn't large enough ex UK to have two airlines where one (I very much grant you) is dominant on the far larger side of the market.

And that's exactly what I said they could compete for years 2 airlines flew the DTW-LHR route co existing with no issues but when you get a carrier with a dominant hub and a loyal customer base you are not going to survive. Northwest put as much capacity on the route as both PA and BA did to force BA off the route and at the time Northwest was very loyal to the Detroit market so the airport really didn't care that much if BA left.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:28 pm

klm617 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:
klm617 wrote:

And that's exactly what I said they could compete for years 2 airlines flew the DTW-LHR route co existing with no issues but when you get a carrier with a dominant hub and a loyal customer base you are not going to survive. Northwest put as much capacity on the route as both PA and BA did to force BA off the route and at the time Northwest was very loyal to the Detroit market so the airport really didn't care that much if BA left.

I'm not sure DTW-LHR was ever really commercially viable for BA. For large periods toward the end of the route's life, DTW was the "Bermuda II pit stop" for IAH-LHR, so BA wasn't filling the aircraft with local DTW traffic, especially up front.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

klm617

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:32 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
klm617 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

I'm not sure DTW-LHR was ever really commercially viable for BA. For large periods toward the end of the route's life, DTW was the "Bermuda II pit stop" for IAH-LHR, so BA wasn't filling the aircraft with local DTW traffic, especially up front.

Large periods towards the end ? It operated that way maybe for a year. The flight operated for many more years over the route LHR-ORD-IAH. How could it not be viable it operated over 50 years and alongside Northwest LGW flights. But when Northwest was able to move their flights to LHR BA lost their competitive edge. Demand did not kill the flights when BA lost their competitive edge that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:34 pm

klm617 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Large periods towards the end ? It operated that way maybe for a year. The flight operated for many more years over the route LHR-ORD-IAH. How could it not be viable it operated over 50 years and alongside Northwest LGW flights. But when Northwest was able to move their flights to LHR BA lost their competitive edge. Demand did not kill the flights when BA lost their competitive edge that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I can't recall the exact timing, though it was more than a year. But that tells you that the first DTW flight performed comparably to the fourth or fifth (can't remember the frequency but it was one of those) ORD flight in that time period.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

klm617

Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I can't recall the exact timing, though it was more than a year. But that tells you that the first DTW flight performed comparably to the fourth or fifth (can't remember the frequency but it was one of those) ORD flight in that time period.

Actually the ORD-IAH tag was where there were only 2 ORD-LHR flights. The early LHR departure continued onto Houston while the late departure from Chicago originated in Houston they were both 747 flights

OZperso
Topic Author

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:14 am

Apparently, BA used to fly to some of Finland until Covid screwed everything up and they had to close their Helsinki service until further notice. What happened to the rest of the routes, ie. Tampere, Turku and Vaasa? I remember I had such a nice holiday once in the early 2000s in one of these cities (long forgotten which exact one), and we flew on BA...

Tristarsteve

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:21 pm

OZperso wrote:
Apparently, BA used to fly to some of Finland until Covid screwed everything up and they had to close their Helsinki service until further notice. What happened to the rest of the routes, ie. Tampere, Turku and Vaasa? I remember I had such a nice holiday once in the early 2000s in one of these cities (long forgotten which exact one), and we flew on BA...

You are remembering wrong.
BA flew to Helsinki and Stockholm where you could fly to these secondary Finnish cities.
BA even flew from Stockholm to Helsinki for a while in a B737, but nowhere else in Finland.

OZperso
Topic Author

Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
OZperso wrote:

You are remembering wrong.
BA flew to Helsinki and Stockholm where you could fly to these secondary Finnish cities.
BA even flew from Stockholm to Helsinki for a while in a B737, but nowhere else in Finland.

Shoot, now I remember, we flew Heathrow to Helsinki, then on Finnair to one of those cities.

Also, whatever happened to their Bogota service?

YALAS

Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm

BA used to fly to Abidjan, Kinshasa and Douala in the late 1980s out of Gatwick, taken over from the days of British Caledonian. Think they stopped flying them from 1990-1991. The gulf war, low demand and economic troubles in all 3 countries at the time probably contributed.

OZperso
Topic Author

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:10 pm

YALAS wrote:
BA used to fly to Abidjan, Kinshasa and Douala in the late 1980s out of Gatwick, taken over from the days of British Caledonian. Think they stopped flying them from 1990-1991. The gulf war, low demand and economic troubles in all 3 countries at the time probably contributed.

I don't really realize how Africa was involved in the Gulf War, but yeah, I agree with you. And judging by the distance between these cities and LGW, probably 747s and 757s were used.

And I may be very mistaken, but I think BA maybe absorbed the Tripoli and Tunis routes from British Caledonian...

YALAS

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:40 pm

OZperso wrote:
YALAS wrote:

I don't really realize how Africa was involved in the Gulf War, but yeah, I agree with you. And judging by the distance between these cities and LGW, probably 747s and 757s were used.

And I may be very mistaken, but I think BA maybe absorbed the Tripoli and Tunis routes from British Caledonian...

A result of the Gulf War was a global recession and a massive downturn in air travel leading to airlines culling lots of routes

All the routes were flown with DC 10s

OZperso
Topic Author

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:30 pm

BA also serves Victoria Falls (VFA) Airport, although technically not direct from London, they service it via their Comair agreement, I think. Also, I think Venezuela was also a "popular and profitable" route of BA until it suffered the same fate as Zimbabwe, i think.

cruiserboxer

Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:11 pm

Morning chaps & chapesses,

new to this forum so please be gentle, but glad I found it. Hopefully it can answer a few questions for me about various flights that I have undertaken over the years.

Firstly, back in Feb 1981, I flew BA from LHR to MIA from T1, normally a Domestic/European terminal. The flight number was BA294. Now normally, long haul flights outbound from LHR were allocated flight numbers with odd numbers with the inbound legs to LHR being even numbers which is contrary to Domestic & European flights where the outbound flights are even numbers (BA668) & inbound legs are odd (BA669).

My two questions here are:-
why were the long haul flights out of T1, MIA & ORD, given even numbers outbound & odd numbers inbound? Was it to do with computer commonality whilst being operated from T1, a domestic/european terminal, or some other reason?
The other question is, for how long did this arrangement last? My next flight inbound LHR from MIA in '86 was using an even flight number.

On another tact. Through this forum I have found the 'BTS detailed statistics' pages, through which flights in the States can be traced, back to 1995 anyway. Wonderful.
Is there anywhere where flights/registrations can be traced back further, say to 12-80? I know its a long time back, but one never knows.

many thanks in anticipation to any replies

cruiserboxer

OZperso
Topic Author

Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:41 pm

Welcome aboard, cruiseboxer.

directorguy

Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:26 am

Pretty sure BMED used to fly to Alexandria and Addis Ababa in the early 2000s?
BA served SSH quite recently from LGW. Not sure if BA ever flew to HRG or LXR though.

jumpjets

Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:17 pm

directorguy wrote:
BA served SSH quite recently from LGW. Not sure if BA ever flew to HRG or LXR though.

I remember waiting at LHR for a flight and at the next gate was a BA Tristar leaving to LXR via CAI. As I wasn’t taking the flight I didn’t put any details in my log and I am sorry I don’t have any details regarding dates etc.

directorguy

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:50 pm

jumpjets wrote:
directorguy wrote:

I remember waiting at LHR for a flight and at the next gate was a BA Tristar leaving to LXR via CAI. As I wasn’t taking the flight I didn’t put any details in my log and I am sorry I don’t have any details regarding dates etc.

Super cool! I did some Googling and found an A.net thread that says BA flew BA 154/155 LHR-CAI-LXR on the L1011 in Summer 1989. Luxor would have been a very short lived but nonetheless very interesting to know they had BA service at one point.

OZperso
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:09 pm

They also serviced Sharm-el-Sheikh I think using a 772/773 before it was dropped a few years ago?

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:27 am

One lesser know former BOAC destination is HNL.

I think there are a lot of errors in the cities listed as Terminated on that Wiki page. Some were instead served by BMED. Pretty sure BA never served YLW either.

BubbleFrog

Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 pm

hoons90 wrote:

Aha! I remember my flight to BNE back in 1997. It was my first trip alone, and by the gods, I nearly wet myself when they announced after take-off in BKK "welcome on our flight to Sydney!"

How was I to know it was another stopover?? I found it confusing enough that BKK was shown as the destination in LHR. But there I was on the ground and could ask someone.
Absolute Relativist

eta unknown

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:54 pm

cruiserboxer wrote:
Morning chaps & chapesses,
new to this forum so please be gentle, but glad I found it. Hopefully it can answer a few questions for me about various flights that I have undertaken over the years. Firstly, back in Feb 1981, I flew BA from LHR to MIA from T1, normally a Domestic/European terminal. The flight number was BA294. Now normally, long haul flights outbound from LHR were allocated flight numbers with odd numbers with the inbound legs to LHR being even numbers which is contrary to Domestic & European flights where the outbound flights are even numbers (BA668) & inbound legs are odd (BA669). My two questions here are:-
why were the long haul flights out of T1, MIA & ORD, given even numbers outbound & odd numbers inbound? Was it to do with computer commonality whilst being operated from T1, a domestic/european terminal, or some other reason? The other question is, for how long did this arrangement last? My next flight inbound LHR from MIA in '86 was using an even flight number.
On another tact. Through this forum I have found the 'BTS detailed statistics' pages, through which flights in the States can be traced, back to 1995 anyway. Wonderful. Is there anywhere where flights/registrations can be traced back further, say to 12-80? I know its a long time back, but one never knows.
many thanks in anticipation to any replies
cruiserboxer

BA flights to ORD & MIA did operate from Terminal 1 instead of Terminal 3 for many years. Not 100% sure what the reasoning was, but I think Terminal 3 was pretty full at the time. MIA was mostly O&D with LHR with very few connecting pax. ORD may have had a lot of connecting pax- especially to DUB. The ORD flight at one point had an almost dedicated 747, G-BDPZ, which was a leased Aer Lingus aircraft. I don't know if EI (also Terminal 1) performed line maintenance on the aircraft or if BA did it.

OZperso
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:46 am

Whatever happened to their Luanda route? It was formerly serviced with 788s and 789s?

jumpjets

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:28 pm

OZperso wrote:
Whatever happened to their Luanda route? It was formerly serviced with 788s and 789s?

If memory serves me right the Luanda route was flown mainly with four class 772ERs switching to the 789 in early 2018 a few months before the route was cancelled.

ajs123uk

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:52 am

jumpjets wrote:
OZperso wrote:

If memory serves me right the Luanda route was flown mainly with four class 772ERs switching to the 789 in early 2018 a few months before the route was cancelled.

It was also flown on the 767