Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Any airlines today with all over polished aluminum ?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:38 am

Since the days of AA’s iconic ‘silver fleet’ Eastern Airlines, Condor and other carriers that operated with a basically bare metal, polished aluminum livery most carriers choose to paint the fuselage with minimal ‘bare metal’

Are there any operators worldwide defying this, rather boring trend?

gdavis003

Re: Any airlines today with all over polished aluminum ?

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:48 am

N801WA, one of World Atlantic's MD-83s, continues to wear the bare metal livery from it's past life with AA

maps4ltd

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:51 am

I had a stroke trying to read that first sentence. Can you explain it again?

Boeing757100

Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:54 am

I think Air Canada painted a 767 like that but I don't know how relevant that is to the topic. Are you asking whether the plane was "bare metal" in the first place?

leleko747

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:14 am

I believe the OP is asking if there are airlines today (2021) still operating jets in bare metal schemes.

Apart from World Atlantic's MD-83, I can't remember other jet flying in bare metal scheme nowadays.

By the way, I wonder why the "silver bullet" trend have ended... specially popular among cargo birds back the 2000s. Those were so cool.
JAL Cargo, Cathay Pacific Cargo, Florida West, Atlas Air and some others had bare metal birds at some point.

roadrunner165

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:26 am

Older planes with polished aluminum looked great. But today’s generation of aircraft, with all the composite and carbon fiber, wouldn’t look nearly as clean. I believe it was one of the reasons AA chose to get rid of the aluminum finish and introduce their current livery.

FLALEFTY

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:38 am

American still has B738, N905NN in the bare metal "AstroJet" livery from the 1960's.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... nes/r1my16

leleko747

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:58 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
Older planes with polished aluminum looked great. But today’s generation of aircraft, with all the composite and carbon fiber, wouldn’t look nearly as clean. I believe it was one of the reasons AA chose to get rid of the aluminum finish and introduce their current livery.

that's true, but there are plenty of 767, 747 and other birds still flying, and those can have bare metal looks.

FlyingMSY

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:06 am

United until recently had a trend where they would paint the entire plane EXCEPT the underside which was left in bare metal (or unpainted... whichever is the correct term). I'm not sure if any other airlines did this, but UA (and I suppose CO) did up until much recently.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 5b19c1fc47

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... .jpg?v=v40

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 285ad127c7

StlHsvSfoSan

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:46 am

Western Airlines had bare metal finish also for a while

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Western ... IzYg%3D%3D

Antarius

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:00 am

roadrunner165 wrote:

AA's last batch of 738s (delivered in 2012/13 onwards) looked absolutely horrible in the bare metal livery. Underside, engines, patches on the fuselage were all painted gray. Sad, patchwork mess.

This topic is a recurring theme with the OP. Comes up with regularity.

Virtual737

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:40 am

leleko747 wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

that's true, but there are plenty of 767, 747 and other birds still flying, and those can have bare metal looks.

I would think the mainstream airlines would want their fleet to carry the same overall livery, so if a good % of their aircraft can't be bare metal then none of them can. Even without paint, there was a (potentially higher) cost of ownership of the bare metal liveries too. The paint isn't just there for colour.

SXDFC

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:07 am

Antarius wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

AA's last batch of 738s (delivered in 2012/13 onwards) looked absolutely horrible in the bare metal livery. Underside, engines, patches on the fuselage were all painted gray. Sad, patchwork mess.

Why did AAs later 738 sport that gray patch?

Antarius

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:19 am

SXDFC wrote:
Antarius wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

I believe it had to do with corrosion prevention due to fluid discharge ports.

Noshow

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:14 am

In this age of foils and stickers it would be cool to take some CFRP aircraft and put on mirror finish silver foil all around. Might be something for design minded business jet owners first?
Fancy cars seem to get wrapped in stuff all the time. Might even have some use in laser protecting drones or similar.

PatrickZ80

Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 am

SXDFC wrote:

Because those parts of the plane aren't made of metal, they're made of carbon fiber. Obviously you can't have a bare metal look on something that isn't made of metal.

Virtual737

Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:32 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Obviously you can't have a bare metal look on something that isn't made of metal.

Tell that to my forehead.

m1m2

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm

I remember seeing a picture of a JAL 767 cargo plane that was at least part polished aluminum, not sure how much of it.

Speaking of the AC 762 that they "polished" a few years ago, the best description I've ever seen was a photo comment on here and I quote "looks like a soup can with the label torn off". I had a good laugh at that.

nikeherc

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm

I remember years ago reading an article about this subject. The head of maintenance at Delta said he liked a white airplane because it made spotting fluid leaks easier. The dark blue belly would seem to, instead, make hiding leaks easier.

scbriml

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Antarius wrote:

Perhaps he's ancient and longing for the "good ol' days"? :duck:

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:23 pm

Antarius wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

Didn't the A300's look similarly hideous, except the whole plane was painted gray?

Polot

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:09 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
Antarius wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

Didn't the A300's look similarly hideous, except the whole plane was painted gray?

They were delivered painted all gray (and looked quite drab) but eventually AA removed the paint and made them bare metal and they looked mostly fine.

Those might have been the only Airbuses ever in bare metal- I don’t think the Airbus normally does it/allows it. Rumor was that Airbus came up with a solution for the A300 after delivery to make AA happy.

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:51 pm

Polot wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:
Antarius wrote:

They were delivered painted all gray (and looked quite drab) but eventually AA removed the paint and made them bare metal and they looked mostly fine.

Those might have been the only Airbuses ever in bare metal- I don’t think the Airbus normally does it/allows it. Rumor was that Airbus came up with a solution for the A300 after delivery to make AA happy.

Got it -- thanks for the additional info!

VSMUT

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:43 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Obviously you can't have a bare metal look on something that isn't made of metal.

You are clearly not into building plastic model kits of US or Soviet military aircraft of the 1940s to 1960s ;)

But that's a difficult art to master, so I can understand why nobody would want to replicate it on something as massive as a 1/1 scale airliner.

Antarius

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:01 pm

VSMUT wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

You are clearly not into building plastic model kits of US or Soviet military aircraft of the 1940s to 1960s ;)

But that's a difficult art to master, so I can understand why nobody would want to replicate it on something as massive as a 1/1 scale airliner.

It's also more effort for no gain. Other than the OP who's obesessed with this and a few others, no one else really cares that much, least of all the majority of paying customers. Chasing an esoteric and dated look that's expensive in the name of uniqueness usually gets you fired by the board due to shareholder unease.

Max Q
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:49 am

scbriml wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Perhaps he's ancient and longing for the "good ol' days"? :duck:

According to your profile I’m six years younger than you

So who’s ancient ? !

alan3

Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:59 pm

I think AA has, or had, another bare metal retrojet (N951AA) but in a different "Astrojet" livery.

My grumpy, maybe minority view, is that I dislike them. Looks outdated and unfinished, like it was rushed off the factory line halfway through. Not to mention I think they required a lot of upkeep? Was glad when AA did away with it.