Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

denkcflyer
Topic Author

Flying on a MAX next weekend, feeling a bit nervous

Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:23 pm

I have a flight scheduled from Denver to Florida next weekend, thru United. I just realized because they sent me an email that we are scheduled to fly on a 737 Max 9.

I used to be terrified of flying. I’m a lot better now, but still get a little nervous leading up to the trip.

Do you think I should be worried?

Cubsrule

Re: Flying on a MAX next weekend, feeling a bit nervous

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:14 pm

No. The MAX is probably the most regulated plane in the sky right now, and IIRC UA never had the allegedly unsafe AoA sensor setup, which was a customer option.

PatrickZ80

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:04 pm

Nothing to worry about.

Indeed the MAX used to be unsafe before the grounding, but that's in the past. It's a whole other plane now, they went over every inch of it and everything they found which could potentially cause problems has been fixed.

I dare say the MAX is now among the safest aircraft on the planet, you'll be fine. Just sit back and enjoy the flight.

Boeing757100

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:49 pm

I think with all the regulations on the MAX, it has to be forced to be the safest plane out there. Of course if your uncomfortable, then you can always cancel the flight.

Relax and enjoy the flight

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:49 pm

I flew on a MAX last week and it was totally fine. Your feeling toward this is totally valid, you are ultimately free to choose what aircraft you feel comfortable with. US airline pilots are among, if not the, best trained in the world so rest assured no matter what you will be ok. This is evidenced by the airmanship exhibited over Denver just yesterday.

johns624

Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:38 pm

YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!....in your 80s, in your own bed, hopefully.

e38

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:48 pm

Quoting PatrickZ80, "Just sit back and enjoy the flight." and

Quoting Boeing757100, "Relax and enjoy the flight"

It's not as simple as that for someone who has not always been comfortable traveling aboard airplanes.

For denkcflyer (Topic Author), while I agree the MAX is safe, I understand your position and concern. The aircraft has only been back in service for sightly less than two months. If you feel comfortable about traveling aboard the MAX to Florida, then by all means go ahead and do so. However, if you are experiencing anxiety and stress leading up to the trip and possibly having that continue enroute, why put yourself through that? As far as I know, MAX operators are not charging passengers "change fees" if you elect to adjust your itinerary and doing so may result in a more pleasant journey for you. This is not a big deal if you decide to change your flight. Give yourself additional time to become more comfortable with the aircraft's "track record" after it has returned to service and I think the next time a MAX shows up on your itinerary, you won't even give it a second thought. There is no "wrong" decision in this case.

e38

LAXintl

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Why worry, just rebook as United will allow you to do for free.

MAX likely as safe as the next plane, but why bother having the extra stress of worry in the back of your mind.

MartijnNL

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:10 pm

I would try to change to a Boeing 757. :)

AirKevin

Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:29 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
I would try to change to a Boeing 757. :)

Depending on where he's going, that might not even be an option.

denkcflyer
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:52 am

Thank you everyone for your responses and words of encouragement about my upcoming flight. This makes me feel much better.

As of now, I’m going to stick with it. I’m flying with a group, and I don’t want to make a big deal about changing it, when it’s the best route/flight option for us right now.

It doesn’t help that I was around here lurking whenever the MAX grounding happened and read about the crashes in detail. But, I am feeling a bit better knowing it has been under so much scrutiny over the past year and should be safer than ever.

Overall, my fear of flying has greatly improved and I don’t want this to get in the way of it. Yes, it makes me feel a little more on edge than normal, but I think this will be a good test for me/my anxiety.

For now, I’m going to look forward to my trip, have lots of snacks and good shows lined up. Too bad they’re not doing beverage service, haha..

IAHFLYR

Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:36 pm

Spiderguy252

Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:08 am

denkcflyer wrote:
Thank you everyone for your responses and words of encouragement about my upcoming flight. This makes me feel much better.

As of now, I’m going to stick with it. I’m flying with a group, and I don’t want to make a big deal about changing it, when it’s the best route/flight option for us right now.

It doesn’t help that I was around here lurking whenever the MAX grounding happened and read about the crashes in detail. But, I am feeling a bit better knowing it has been under so much scrutiny over the past year and should be safer than ever.

Overall, my fear of flying has greatly improved and I don’t want this to get in the way of it. Yes, it makes me feel a little more on edge than normal, but I think this will be a good test for me/my anxiety.

For now, I’m going to look forward to my trip, have lots of snacks and good shows lined up. Too bad they’re not doing beverage service, haha..

Enjoy your flight. Allow your group and their conversations to distract you until landing!

denkcflyer
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:10 am

IAHFLYR wrote:

This is good to know, that’ll help!

IAHFLYR

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:42 pm

denkcflyer wrote:

After reading your last comment I'm thinking you are referring to some type of "adult beverage". A good friend of mine just flew ORD-IAH earlier in the week on the MAX, he was in FC and not certain they are serving the type beverage you may be wanting in Economy, but regardless of your cabin hope you enjoy the MAX. He loved the quieter cabin as well as the small lav! :bouncy:

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:59 pm

As Tazio Nuvolari, with multiple serious motor racing accidents, would respond to questions about being scared racing, “do you expect to die in bed?” “Yes, I do” answered the spectator. “Then, where do you get the courage to go to bed every night?”

denkcflyer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:56 am

IAHFLYR wrote:
denkcflyer wrote:

After reading your last comment I'm thinking you are referring to some type of "adult beverage". A good friend of mine just flew ORD-IAH earlier in the week on the MAX, he was in FC and not certain they are serving the type beverage you may be wanting in Economy, but regardless of your cabin hope you enjoy the MAX. He loved the quieter cabin as well as the small lav! :bouncy:

Haha yes that’s exactly what I was wondering! But I had a hard time finding anything about economy. Planning to have a mimosa before I hop on anyway just in case.

I’m actually getting a bit excited to experience the MAX -!: trying not to get too into my head about it

TrafficCop

Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:47 pm

denkcflyer wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:
denkcflyer wrote:

Haha yes that’s exactly what I was wondering! But I had a hard time finding anything about economy. Planning to have a mimosa before I hop on anyway just in case.

I’m actually getting a bit excited to experience the MAX -!: trying not to get too into my head about it

Don't forget to fill us in on your flight. Flew a MAX mid Feb.

EricAY05

Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:45 pm

I haven't flown in 13 months. I would cry tears of happiness if I got to fly on a MAX. I hope your flight went well and you enjoyed it :)

maps4ltd

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:38 am

denkcflyer wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:
denkcflyer wrote:

How'd it go?

denkcflyer
Topic Author

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:20 am

maps4ltd wrote:
denkcflyer wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

How'd it go?

Hey there! Quick update for you and anyone else who is curious —

It went really well! I survived haha.

I was a bit nervous at first, but once we got to cruising altitude I was able to relax more (thinking if a MAX issue happened, it would be during takeoff).

Anyway, it was nice being on a clean new plane. Outlets to charge my phone and a device holder on the seatback made it really easy to watch movies.

It was a long flight (by my standards) at 4hrs and got a bit uncomfortable after a while, but no more than any other flight.

On my way home, we flew out of Ft Meyers in a storm so there was some turbulence that had me a bit worried. It was a very empty flight though, so we had our choice of seats, and I was greeted by a beautiful sunset in Denver when we landed.

I feel really good, and proud of myself for going through with it. I won’t go out of my way to change plans if I end up on a MAX again. I primarily fly Southwest so I know it’s inevitable I’ll be on one again. But at no point did I feel unsafe or more worried than any other flight.

Feel like I’m making major steps towards fully overcoming my fear of flying, which is a great feeling!

Opus99

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:44 pm

denkcflyer wrote:
maps4ltd wrote:
denkcflyer wrote:

How'd it go?

Hey there! Quick update for you and anyone else who is curious —

It went really well! I survived haha.

I was a bit nervous at first, but once we got to cruising altitude I was able to relax more (thinking if a MAX issue happened, it would be during takeoff).

Anyway, it was nice being on a clean new plane. Outlets to charge my phone and a device holder on the seatback made it really easy to watch movies.

It was a long flight (by my standards) at 4hrs and got a bit uncomfortable after a while, but no more than any other flight.

On my way home, we flew out of Ft Meyers in a storm so there was some turbulence that had me a bit worried. It was a very empty flight though, so we had our choice of seats, and I was greeted by a beautiful sunset in Denver when we landed.

I feel really good, and proud of myself for going through with it. I won’t go out of my way to change plans if I end up on a MAX again. I primarily fly Southwest so I know it’s inevitable I’ll be on one again. But at no point did I feel unsafe or more worried than any other flight.

Feel like I’m making major steps towards fully overcoming my fear of flying, which is a great feeling!

Well done! Its great to see that it went well

IAHFLYR

Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:29 pm

denkcflyer wrote:

Great to see it went well and that you survived your initial fear of it. But I have to pick at you with Ft. Meyers spelling. As a kid who grew up in South Ft. Myers there is no "E" after the "M". :shakehead: :biggrin: