Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sk736
Topic Author

Transferring in MAD

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:23 pm

If I’m arriving at MAD from LGW on UX then connecting to a flight to LHR with IB (from T4S), will I need to clear immigration or can I transfer airside?

davidjohnson6

Re: Transferring in MAD

Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:50 pm

Might we enquire why you're flying from London to Madrid and returning straight back to London, without even wishing to enter Spanish territory, when there's a pandemic raging, and Govts all round the world are discouraging travel ?

PatrickZ80

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Might we enquire why you're flying from London to Madrid and returning straight back to London, without even wishing to enter Spanish territory, when there's a pandemic raging, and Govts all round the world are discouraging travel ?

I guess it is to avoid the APD. It's an old trick, only passengers departing from the UK pay APD. A ticket from a foreign airport with a transfer in the UK can therefor be much cheaper than a ticket for the same flight out of a British airport.

So let's say you want to fly London to Tokyo. That's band B, meaning 80 pounds APD in economy class. But only if you depart from the UK! If you depart from another country, that country's aviation tax rate applies. Given that most countries (including Spain) do not impose a tax on flight tickets, you don't pay APD on that ticket. You do pay APD on the ticket from London to Madrid, however that's band A and thus only 13 pounds APD instead of 80. That's 67 pounds worth of APD saved out by self-transfering in Madrid. Likely the Air Europa ticket from Gatwick to Madrid was cheaper than 67 pounds.

The return flight to London would be on Iberia. Given that Iberia and British Airways are both part of IAG and codeshare on the Madrid - London route, I guess Heathrow isn't the final destination. From there on, on the same ticket, British Airways will take him further to whatever the final destination might be. Most likely a long haul destination (band B).

Regarding Madrid Airport, both Iberia and Air Europa use terminal 4. This means you can stay air side, no need to clear immigration. Keep in mind terminal 4 can be either the main terminal or the satellite, this doesn't make much difference. The only exception is if you have checked luggage, this won't be automatically forwarded. In case of checked luggage, you have to collect and re-check your luggage. That means passing through immigration and through security again to get back air side. If you travel with hand luggage only this isn't necessary.

debonair

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:50 pm

sk736 wrote:
If I’m arriving at MAD from LGW on UX then connecting to a flight to LHR with IB (from T4S), will I need to clear immigration or can I transfer airside?

When are you travelling? In the moment you need to be Spanish citizen and even if this lifted on March 2nd you need a PCR test. Returning back to the UK will result in quarantine for 10 days and coronavirus (COVID-19) test on day 2 and day 8 of quarantining, at least for the moment...

sk736
Topic Author

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:50 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Yes you may enquire. Did I say my trip was imminent? No, I did not so perhaps you are rather silly for jumping to conclusions. I want to fly on the Iberia A350 from MAD to LHR. The trip I’m planning is a day trip to facilitate this. My enquiry is to help me with my trip planning, when it is safe and legal to do so. Does that answer your question? Perhaps if you have nothing of use to say, you should say nothing.

VMCA787

Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 pm

Pre-covid, if you flew MAD-LHR on a WB, it departed from T-4S. However, right not they are departing T-4. I would expect post covid, the departure would be back at T-4S as that terminal has its own customs and immigration.

debonair

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:51 pm

sk736 wrote:
Yes you may enquire. Did I say my trip was imminent? No, I did not so perhaps you are rather silly for jumping to conclusions. I want to fly on the Iberia A350 from MAD to LHR. The trip I’m planning is a day trip to facilitate this. My enquiry is to help me with my trip planning, when it is safe and legal to do so.

Sorry, but in all respect your question is absolutely unjustified! As UX was acquired by IAG, sooner than later the operations will be moved into one Terminal.- let alone the question, IF the LGW flight will survive the merger... Your topic is a waste of time!

sk736
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:27 pm

debonair wrote:
sk736 wrote:
Yes you may enquire. Did I say my trip was imminent? No, I did not so perhaps you are rather silly for jumping to conclusions. I want to fly on the Iberia A350 from MAD to LHR. The trip I’m planning is a day trip to facilitate this. My enquiry is to help me with my trip planning, when it is safe and legal to do so.

Sorry, but in all respect your question is absolutely unjustified! As UX was acquired by IAG, sooner than later the operations will be moved into one Terminal.- let alone the question, IF the LGW flight will survive the merger... Your topic is a waste of time!

Such a waste of time that you decided to post an answer! I refer you to my previous response...if you have nothing of use to say, say nothing.

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:32 pm

debonair wrote:
IF the LGW flight will survive the merger...

And if it doesn't, there are still more options. EasyJet also flies to Madrid from Gatwick and Luton while Ryanair serves Madrid from Stansted. However keep in mind these airlines both use terminal 1, which is quite far from terminal 4. The terminals are not air side connected to each other, you have to get land side and take the bus from terminal 1 to terminal 4. It's possible of course, but you should not be in a hurry. Make sure you have enough time to make the connection in Madrid.