Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CWL757
Topic Author

Next airline to get a new livery?

Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:17 pm

This has been posted in the past, but what do we think the next airline (s) to get a new livery will be? I know Covid will put most on hold for a while, but sooner or later some airlines will be looking to get a fresh look.
I personally wonder if TUI could be one, they're 787s look frankly ridiculous now due to the fading blue and patched up Thomson titles. Also, they're latest 737NGs haven't been repainted into the current livery.
What other airlines could be looking at a new livery?
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

N965UW

Re: Next airline to get a new livery?

Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Delta is due for a refresh. The current design as a whole looks modern enough, but the small "Delta" titles on the front look so 2010-ish (especially on the Airbuses). I'd like to see them use block titles on the existing livery. Delta Connection won't have to be modified at all since block letters don't seem to work on RJs. From a practical standpoint, DL is in a good position for a change coming out of this downturn - it'll only require a small modification vs. a complete makeover, and to simplify things, the Connection fleet doesn't need to be touched.
You can always go around

davidjohnson6

Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:59 pm

Until air travel demand reaches consistently about 70% of 2019 levels (and that includes next winter in case of another Covid wave), airlines are likely to be losing money.
There would need to be a VERY good reason (think major airline merger) for an airline CEO to agree to spend a LOT of money on a livery refresh before maybe 2023

JBo

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:07 pm

N965UW wrote:
Delta is due for a refresh. The current design as a whole looks modern enough, but the small "Delta" titles on the front look so 2010-ish (especially on the Airbuses). I'd like to see them use block titles on the existing livery. Delta Connection won't have to be modified at all since block letters don't seem to work on RJs. From a practical standpoint, DL is in a good position for a change coming out of this downturn - it'll only require a small modification vs. a complete makeover, and to simplify things, the Connection fleet doesn't need to be touched.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Delta making any changes – I think they're still happy to finally have just one consistent livery fleet-wide after years of having a mix of 2-3 liveries.

That said: I've always thought that Delta's titles are poorly scaled on some aircraft types. Seems like they tend to be either just too big or just too small. Billboard titles might work. I'd have to see it to judge.

As far as any other US carriers: I don't think we'll see any major livery changes anytime soon. Most all the mainline liveries are less than 10 years old currently (JetBlue has the oldest, I think, with the billboard titles debuting in 2009), and between that and the pandemic downturn, I doubt we'll see any changes anytime soon.

As far as carriers elsewhere: I'm inclined to think that any major rebrands/refreshes will only happen in conjunction with mergers in the near term.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

leleko747

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:10 pm

I'd like to see JAL changing their livery. Their current stuff was unveiled back when they were just restructuring back in 2010ish. They probably wanted to get rid of their old livery, but had to save some money. Nowadays they really need something more uplifting because that "livery" is so drab. Too bad I guess it won't happen soon due to the whole COVID mess.

I just hope they keep the Tsurumaru logo forever.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

alohashirts

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:12 pm

Probably NK will have to get a new livery when they merge with F9. :stirthepot:

CFWAD

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:14 pm

Flair Airlines has a new livery coming with delivery of their new leased Max-8's; first one due in May, I believe.

CaVOK
A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83

Chrisgoodwin82

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:42 pm

I wish British airways would.. theirs is starting to look a little dated and must be 20 years old now!

AirBourne

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Jet2 hopefully! The red/silver livery could do with a refresh but that ugly holiday brand livery needs to go ASAP!

CWL757
Topic Author

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:59 pm

Chrisgoodwin82 wrote:
I wish British airways would.. theirs is starting to look a little dated and must be 20 years old now!

BA's livery will be 23 this year. I agree they could do with a new one, but its not terrible imo and an update would be IB/EI style I fear.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

Ziyulu

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm

What about CA and CZ? Those are from the early 90s.

PatrickZ80

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:06 pm

Korean Air is long overdue for a new livery, the current one is ancient. Here it is seen for the first time in 1983:

That makes the livery 38 years old and still in use. And while that's impressive, I think it shouldn't reach 40 years. It was fine for an eighties livery and still acceptable in the nineties, but this is 2021. The world has moved on, so should Korean Air.

VSMUT

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:08 pm

Careful what you wish for. Remember Lufthansa, SAS and China Eastern...

leleko747 wrote:
I'd like to see JAL changing their livery. Their current stuff was unveiled back when they were just restructuring back in 2010ish. They probably wanted to get rid of their old livery, but had to save some money. Nowadays they really need something more uplifting because that "livery" is so drab. Too bad I guess it won't happen soon due to the whole COVID mess.

I hope and wouldn't be surprised if many of the livery updates from the 2010-2020 period don't have long lifespans. There are some truly atrocious liveries that came out in that period.

Antaras

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:28 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Korean Air is long overdue for a new livery, the current one is ancient. That makes the livery 38 years old and still in use. And while that's impressive, I think it shouldn't reach 40 years. It was fine for an eighties livery and still acceptable in the nineties, but this is 2021. The world has moved on, so should Korean Air.

The KE×OZ merger a good chance for them to have a new appearance ;)
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

miegapele

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Singapore should start painting their planes in normal livery instead of using retro one permanently :)

Antaras

Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 pm

leleko747 wrote:

Tsurumaru but removing the "JAL" label on the logo, it would be perfect :)
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

leleko747

Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:26 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Korean Air is long overdue for a new livery, the current one is ancient. Here it is seen for the first time in 1983:

That makes the livery 38 years old and still in use. And while that's impressive, I think it shouldn't reach 40 years. It was fine for an eighties livery and still acceptable in the nineties, but this is 2021. The world has moved on, so should Korean Air.

There's a great rendering done by Njord Zonneveld (rendering by Mees Jansen) here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLmNfLvBMV3/

I think this would be simply great. Looks very modern and retains the overall look of the great KE livery.

BTW, their current livery might be ancient but it had minor tweaks. The silver line is thinner and the titles are bigger nowadays.

VSMUT wrote:
Careful what you wish for. Remember Lufthansa, SAS and China Eastern...

Very true, and that's why i'm always so nervous when airlines announce livery changes.
Some liveries already look great even after 20 years... in my opinion, no need to change.

Iberia, Lufthansa, Finnair, Aer Lingus... many more feature on this list!
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

WesternDC6B

Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:04 am

American could do with a change. Just hide the crayons from that 4th grader this time.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

n729pa

Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:29 am

Emirates... fundamentally unchanged since they started mid-80s
Can't see it happening though, it's basically a plain colour with titles and national flag on it.

UA444

Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:26 am

United hopefully..

PatrickZ80

Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 am

UA444 wrote:
United hopefully..

They just had their livery updated, no need for another update yet again.

jumpjets

Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:40 am

CWL757 wrote:
Chrisgoodwin82 wrote:

BA's livery will be 23 this year. I agree they could do with a new one, but its not terrible imo and an update would be IB/EI style I fear.

I have the same fear. I could see them going down the Lufthansa route and going all white fuselage with a tweaked Union Flag on the tail. I would pray that if they do this they keep the blue engine nacelles.

One thing I have never understood is why on Iberia Express the nacelles are red, which together with its large 'Express'' titles brings the livery together whereas mainline IB is so bland and boring with smallish titles, white nacelles [albeit with Iberia written on them] and not the hint of a logo on the fuselage.

spinotter

Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:54 pm

N965UW wrote:

How about getting the widget into an upright orientation now that the merger with Northwest is ancient history?

DocLightning

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:10 pm

JBo wrote:
That said: I've always thought that Delta's titles are poorly scaled on some aircraft types. Seems like they tend to be either just too big or just too small. Billboard titles might work. I'd have to see it to judge.

I'm told that Delta's livery policy is that the titles must fit between the #1 and #2 doors without overlapping the mandatory painted border around the doors.

I think their branding is fine. They have had a consistently positive brand reputation since their reorganization in the mid-to-late 00s.

The airline that really messed up their brand is AA. They need to get rid of that eye-watering tail.

I agree that BA is probably due for a refresh. Generally, they have had a strong livery tradition with a two-toned livery (blue underbelly, white above) for over 40 years. I sincerely hope that the management is aware of the outcry that they would get if they went to some bland Eurowhite. Also, KL needs to do something. Their weird "droop" in their livery is just...odd.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

JBo

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:24 pm

DocLightning wrote:
JBo wrote:

I'm told that Delta's livery policy is that the titles must fit between the #1 and #2 doors without overlapping the mandatory painted border around the doors.

I think their branding is fine. They have had a consistently positive brand reputation since their reorganization in the mid-to-late 00s.

The airline that really messed up their brand is AA. They need to get rid of that eye-watering tail.

I agree that BA is probably due for a refresh. Generally, they have had a strong livery tradition with a two-toned livery (blue underbelly, white above) for over 40 years. I sincerely hope that the management is aware of the outcry that they would get if they went to some bland Eurowhite. Also, KL needs to do something. Their weird "droop" in their livery is just...odd.

I understand DL's policy for fitting the logo between the doors, but unfortunately it makes it appear a bit too small on some aircraft (like the A330).

I'm also not the biggest fan of AA's current livery, but I don't completely hate it, either. The tail does say 'American' quite loudly, so in that regard it gets the job done, but it's still odd to me because they don't use that design element in any of their other branding materials. It's ONLY on the tails of the aircraft. I wish they would have done something that used the Scissor Eagle logo, but alas.

As for BA: I also hope they keep a two-tone with whatever step they take next. The current livery was an evolutionary step after the Landor livery (originally with the world tails). I hope the next step, whenever that might be, is a similar evolution.

The KL nose droop, if I recall, was introduced when the Embraers came on board so that the cheatline would still end at the tip of the radome. But that just makes the livery look odd on aircraft with more 'classic' shaped nose cones.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

DocLightning

Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:40 pm

JBo wrote:
I'm also not the biggest fan of AA's current livery, but I don't completely hate it, either. The tail does say 'American' quite loudly, so in that regard it gets the job done, but it's still odd to me because they don't use that design element in any of their other branding materials. It's ONLY on the tails of the aircraft. I wish they would have done something that used the Scissor Eagle logo, but alas.

The tail is a problem. The issue is that AA is a global airline. But the United States is not viewed in loving terms all around the world, less so now than 30 or 40 years ago. Moreover, outside of the US, bold displays of national patriotism like this are pretty uncommon and pretty much are reserved for official government facilities and events.

This isn't about apologizing for the US. AA is not a branch of the US government. But by closely aligning their branding to the flag of the US, they have decided to align their brand to the local view of the US and its politics, be that positive or negative. And yes, folks, the visual identity of a company is important and does factor into peoples' decisions to fly with that company, although usually not as part of a conscious decision. So their choice of branding will affect their ability to profitably fill seats.

The prior brand was much more about an airline and less about a nation. Even HP, which had a flag on its tail, handled that branding in a much more subtle way. But this current tail is loud and pins the airline's brand to the United States's policies and politics.

It's disconcerting to me that their management and branding teams missed something like this.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

N965UW

Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:04 pm

DocLightning wrote:
JBo wrote:

The tail is a problem. The issue is that AA is a global airline. But the United States is not viewed in loving terms all around the world, less so now than 30 or 40 years ago. Moreover, outside of the US, bold displays of national patriotism like this are pretty uncommon and pretty much are reserved for official government facilities and events.

This isn't about apologizing for the US. AA is not a branch of the US government. But by closely aligning their branding to the flag of the US, they have decided to align their brand to the local view of the US and its politics, be that positive or negative. And yes, folks, the visual identity of a company is important and does factor into peoples' decisions to fly with that company, although usually not as part of a conscious decision. So their choice of branding will affect their ability to profitably fill seats.

The prior brand was much more about an airline and less about a nation. Even HP, which had a flag on its tail, handled that branding in a much more subtle way. But this current tail is loud and pins the airline's brand to the United States's policies and politics.

It's disconcerting to me that their management and branding teams missed something like this.

The U.S. doesn't have an official flag carrier like other nations, so for better or for worse AA is maintaining a flag carrier-style image in line with other major airlines around the world. Calling the company "American Airlines" in the first place is already a loud display of national identity IMO. It's true that the bare metal livery with "AA" rather than a flag on the tail was less noisy, but the planes still flew around with "American" in big letters. Anybody who doesn't view the U.S. in "loving terms" probably won't fly on an airplane that has "American" emblazoned on the side, flag on the tail or not.

US Airways didn't seem to have a problem with a more proportioned flag on the tail, although it was less in-your-face. But I'd go as far as arguing that the US brand could lead unsuspecting people to believe that the airline had official status, since using "US" or "U.S." in an organization's name typically implies government affiliation.

Several other airlines in other countries have flags or national colors on their tails, and AA is hardly alone in that. Off the top of my head I can think of BA, EK, SU, and arguably even AF to name a few.
You can always go around

filipinoavgeek

Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:50 am

N965UW wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
JBo wrote:

The U.S. doesn't have an official flag carrier like other nations, so for better or for worse AA is maintaining a flag carrier-style image in line with other major airlines around the world. Calling the company "American Airlines" in the first place is already a loud display of national identity IMO. It's true that the bare metal livery with "AA" rather than a flag on the tail was less noisy, but the planes still flew around with "American" in big letters. Anybody who doesn't view the U.S. in "loving terms" probably won't fly on an airplane that has "American" emblazoned on the side, flag on the tail or not.

US Airways didn't seem to have a problem with a more proportioned flag on the tail, although it was less in-your-face. But I'd go as far as arguing that the US brand could lead unsuspecting people to believe that the airline had official status, since using "US" or "U.S." in an organization's name typically implies government affiliation.

Several other airlines in other countries have flags or national colors on their tails, and AA is hardly alone in that. Off the top of my head I can think of BA, EK, SU, and arguably even AF to name a few.

Don't forget airlines like PR, MH, BI, JS, PK, SA, etc.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

VSMUT

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:09 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
N965UW wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Few of those get close to AA. British Airways and Emirates probably come closest, but BA is only part of the flag, not the actual flag. The UAE is too obscure, both in terms of being known and especially in terms of the politics of the country. 99% of people who see the Emirates livery won't realize it is the flag of a country, unlike the American Airlines livery.

Aeroflot does have the Russian flag, but it is only one part of the livery. And again, obscurity plays in. While many know and despise Russia, most still think of the red star when they think of Russia, not the red, white and blue flag.

The Air France livery is no more a French flag than the former AA window band was a US flag.

Philippine Airlines and South African use elements, but it isn't the flag. And again, obscurity and overall good image of the country.

Malaysia Airlines, Biman Bangladesh?!? Not even close.

Air Koryo: North Korea along with the US is the perfect example of why the world dislikes strong shows of patriotic flag-waving.

filipinoavgeek

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:30 am

VSMUT wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
N965UW wrote:

Few of those get close to AA. British Airways and Emirates probably come closest, but BA is only part of the flag, not the actual flag. The UAE is too obscure, both in terms of being known and especially in terms of the politics of the country. 99% of people who see the Emirates livery won't realize it is the flag of a country, unlike the American Airlines livery.

Aeroflot does have the Russian flag, but it is only one part of the livery. And again, obscurity plays in. While many know and despise Russia, most still think of the red star when they think of Russia, not the red, white and blue flag.

The Air France livery is no more a French flag than the former AA window band was a US flag.

Philippine Airlines and South African use elements, but it isn't the flag. And again, obscurity and overall good image of the country.

Malaysia Airlines, Biman Bangladesh?!? Not even close.

Air Koryo: North Korea along with the US is the perfect example of why the world dislikes strong shows of patriotic flag-waving.

When I said BI I was referring to Royal Brunei and not Biman. Granted, I was probably thinking of their old livery as their current one resembles their flag less, just the colors. Also while the AA tail does resemble the US flag it isn't a perfect replica, not much more than Aeroflot or Emirates that do use the actual flag.

Speaking of the UAE, while not a flag, Etihad's old livery had the UAE emblem in the tail in place of an actual logo.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

VSMUT

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:36 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Also while the AA tail does resemble the US flag it isn't a perfect replica.

Good luck finding anyone who doesn't immediately think "US flag" when they see that tail.

filipinoavgeek

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:40 am

VSMUT wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
Also while the AA tail does resemble the US flag it isn't a perfect replica.

Good luck finding anyone who doesn't immediately think "US flag" when they see that tail.

That was never my point, the point was simply that the AA tail resembles but is not the US flag, while the SU and EK tails do have the actual flags in their tails.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

MrHMSH

Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:21 am

DocLightning wrote:
JBo wrote:

BA have already had a slight refresh, adding the 'To Fly To Serve' crest and a brighter shade of white. You can just about see the difference in these photos, the aircraft is in the older livery, but the nosecone has the new shade of white. That's probably all they'll do, though the livery is old I think it still looks quite fresh and modern, it's almost certainly better than any design they'd come up with in the future.

UA444

Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:34 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
UA444 wrote:
United hopefully..

Yeah, they “updated” a bad 30 year old livery from a dead airline by adding more blue paint. Still have the worst livery in the sky.

TWA772LR

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:10 pm

UA444 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
UA444 wrote:
United hopefully..

Yeah, they “updated” a bad 30 year old livery from a dead airline by adding more blue paint. Still have the worst livery in the sky.

The Tulip isn't coming back.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.