Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fsxfan38
Topic Author

Are airlines actively trying to dissuade people from traveling with all the limited routes?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 pm

Judging from what I've been seeing this year so far, it seems that a lot of nonstops have come back, but the only ones available are usually at extremly inconvienent times, either late at night or early in the morning. On top of this, a lot of stopover flights I'm seeing simply going from JFK to PWM have layovers up to 7 hours in the opposite direction and even some 12+hour overnight ones, for what is supposed to be a simple 1h30m flight.

Is there any way that things are going to change by the beginning of May, or am I SOL for a convienent trip to see my friend up in maine?

johns624

Re: Are airlines actively trying to dissuade people from traveling with all the limited routes?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:50 pm

Fly into BOS and drive. It's only a little over a hundred miles.

fsxfan38
Topic Author

Re: Are airlines actively trying to dissuade people from traveling with all the limited routes?

Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 pm

I decided to just push the trip back a month and instantly got better choices in terms of flights.The reason why I couldnt find that many for early May might have just been because of covid and also because it's before memorial day.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 pm

johns624 wrote:
Fly into BOS and drive. It's only a little over a hundred miles.

Just drive up, less time and you’ll have car there. If two people left the home, one driving to PWM, the other flying to BOS, getting a rental car, driving to PWM—the first would be there and halfway they cocktails and dinner at Fore Street before the second guy arrived.

maps4ltd

Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 am

I don't get your complaint. For a random date in the beginning of May (Sunday, May 2), I see 1x JFK-PWM on Delta, 2x LGA-PWM on Delta, and 2x EWR-PWM on United.

A lot of other cities don't have these readily available choices right now. So yeah, you've got options.

PHLspecial

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 pm

fsxfan38 wrote:
Judging from what I've been seeing this year so far, it seems that a lot of nonstops have come back, but the only ones available are usually at extremly inconvienent times, either late at night or early in the morning. On top of this, a lot of stopover flights I'm seeing simply going from JFK to PWM have layovers up to 7 hours in the opposite direction and even some 12+hour overnight ones, for what is supposed to be a simple 1h30m flight.

Is there any way that things are going to change by the beginning of May, or am I SOL for a convienent trip to see my friend up in maine?

What would be nice if trains are more convenient to use to connect the final 100 miles. Wouldn't be so depended on the tiny once a day airports

eurotrader85

Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:14 pm

This is an interesting point and not confined to N. American schedules it seems as Europe's schedule seem odd as well. While they are obviously not trying to dissuade people to fly, it does seem like (from a consumer perspective) odd thought has gone into which flights they do operate. Even on 'trunk' intra-European routes which may have had many frequencies per day in normal times, the one or two they are keeping hardly seem like best ones they could have chosen. No doubt there is operational reasons behind it (after all, they can't fly all the routes at the same peak time and then do nothing for the rest of the day and many are doubling up for their freight capacity atm) but I agree, there have been times I've looked at the amended offerings for the schedule at the moment and it simply doesn't work. You sometimes feel are they trying their best to make sure you can't give them money!

News in the week that AA are set to go back to their full domestic schedule in the US during Q2 is welcome news and shows excellent developments of the situation there. Europe I feel will be far far behind given the utterly slow vaccine rollout.

seansasLCY

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:17 pm

In Europe at least a lot of airlines have reduced flights and in particular removed any flights where the crew would have stayed over. For example BA removed all the nightstops on the LHR-ARN route. This means most of the flights are now in the middle of the day rather than the usual early morning and evening flights which were ideal for business. But given the restrictions across Europe few people are able to travel anyway so demand is reduced.

When the pandemic first started last year and most airlines cancelled all their flights, Finnair kept running a few routes and I did my usual commute of LHR-ARN with them via HEL. On the outbound the stopover was only 45 mins but on the way back I had a 5hr stopover each time. I set up office in HEL for that stopover each week.

c933103

Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:35 pm

With constant schedule adjustment due to supply and demand changing dynamically and huge pressure to minimize cost due to big drop off in demand, priority in schedule arrangement will probably focus on most efficient use of planes and staffs instead of schedule convenience