Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FligtReporter
Topic Author

What is your favourite aircraft and why ?

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:21 am

Hi everyone, I personally am a huge fan of the ATR 600 series and I love this aircraft not only in the turbo prop category but its my favourite flying machine among all others and I'm curious to know what aircraft types are your personal favourites and why ?

WesternDC6B

Re: What is your favourite aircraft and why ?

Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:01 pm

I have several favorites, but they are favorites from the aesthetic standpoint. Vickers VC-10, IL-62, deHavilland Comet, Caravelle, DC8 stretch, DC7C, DC6B, Bristol Brittania, several of the Soviet 4-engine prop passenger aircraft were quite attractive.

For the very life of me I can’t think of the name of it, but there was a French-made sea plane (passenger) of the 1930s or so that in flight was one fine-looking airplane. I really wish I could recall what it is so I could find pictures of it again.

From the standpoint of being a passenger, I enjoyed every single one of my flights on L1011s. I like the 767. And, for long flights, I will take an A330 every time for being relatively quiet, as opposed to the noisy 777.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

readytotaxi

Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:32 pm

The Vickers VC10, just looks so sexy.

you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

N965UW

Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Too many to have just one, so I like to divide my favorites into categories:

Light GA: so many to choose from, but narrows down to Cessna 172 and 182
Turboprop: Dash 8
Bizjet: can't decide between Citation Excel, Global Express, and Gulfstream IV
RJ: CRJ-700
Narrowbody: A320 (also gets best-sounding airplane, between the IAE/CFM buzzsaw and FOPP howl on approach)
The 757 gets its own category, IMO the most sleek and versatile aircraft (particularly the -200)
Widebody (twin): A330
Widebody (quad): 747
Fighter: F-16, with the F/A-18 close behind
Bomber: Tu-16 and Tu-95
Military transport: C-17
You can always go around

davidjohnson6

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:03 pm

My favourite aircraft are the Airbus A319/A320/A321 and the Boeing 737
They're bland, boring and dull. However, without them, I would not have been able to fly anywhere near as much as I have.
Aviation is fun only if I get to take part - it's boring if it's reserved only for other people

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:10 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
I have several favorites, but they are favorites from the aesthetic standpoint. Vickers VC-10, IL-62, deHavilland Comet, Caravelle, DC8 stretch, DC7C, DC6B, Bristol Brittania, several of the Soviet 4-engine prop passenger aircraft were quite attractive.

For the very life of me I can’t think of the name of it, but there was a French-made sea plane (passenger) of the 1930s or so that in flight was one fine-looking airplane. I really wish I could recall what it is so I could find pictures of it again.

From the standpoint of being a passenger, I enjoyed every single one of my flights on L1011s. I like the 767. And, for long flights, I will take an A330 every time for being relatively quiet, as opposed to the noisy 777.

Great Mr Western ! I love the 330s in widebodies probably because that's that's biggest jet we get here at my homebase (LKO) regularly !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:10 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
The Vickers VC10, just looks so sexy.

Have to agree it does look kinda good !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:17 pm

N965UW wrote:
Too many to have just one, so I like to divide my favorites into categories:

Light GA: so many to choose from, but narrows down to Cessna 172 and 182
Turboprop: Dash 8
Bizjet: can't decide between Citation Excel, Global Express, and Gulfstream IV
RJ: CRJ-700
Narrowbody: A320 (also gets best-sounding airplane, between the IAE/CFM buzzsaw and FOPP howl on approach)
The 757 gets its own category, IMO the most sleek and versatile aircraft (particularly the -200)
Widebody (twin): A330
Widebody (quad): 747
Fighter: F-16, with the F/A-18 close behind
Bomber: Tu-16 and Tu-95
Military transport: C-17

Great selection Mr.965UW...I've been lucky enough to have had CRJ 700 as my very first aircraft that I ever flew in...like the 320s in Narrowbody too probably cause now that's the most used narrowbody in almost all parts of the world...and had the pleasure to spot and see the C-17 multiple times and I like that giant in Grey...never been on the pencil but yeah it always appeared to me like a wanna be 777 or 767 but it's narrowbody just won't let it :lol:

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:19 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
My favourite aircraft are the Airbus A319/A320/A321 and the Boeing 737
They're bland, boring and dull. However, without them, I would not have been able to fly anywhere near as much as I have.
Aviation is fun only if I get to take part - it's boring if it's reserved only for other people

Some great words right there and I agree Mr David..Aviation indeed is fun because common citizens like me and you can experience these wide variety of Aircrafts and have the luxury to have them as our favourites depending on our different tastes in flying.

ClassicLover

Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:

You have good taste... I also think the de Havilland Comet 1 is a really good looking aircraft.

For your French flying boats, was it the Latécoère 521/522? https://travelupdate.com/latecoere-521-flying-boat-video/ ...

... Or maybe the Latécoère 631? https://travelupdate.com/latecoere-631-flying-boat-video/

For me, my favourite is the Vickers VC10. It just looks really good. I have a really good DVD about it from Avion Video, which is still on sale here - https://avionvideo.com/shop/page/2/ - that I got years ago. It goes through the whole story of the aircraft and has tons of really cool footage about the production and what not. Would love to have flown on board one. Everyone who has pretty much raves about how quiet it was inside. Even after the 747s came on scene, people would still ask to be booked on a VC10 for transatlantic flights.

Good thread!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Lpbri

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:21 pm

DC-8-61

DocLightning

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:33 pm

Long Live the Queen

-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

WesternDC6B

Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:36 pm

One more: the 340-500.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:03 am

ClassicLover wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

You have good taste... I also think the de Havilland Comet 1 is a really good looking aircraft.

For your French flying boats, was it the Latécoère 521/522? https://travelupdate.com/latecoere-521-flying-boat-video/ ...

... Or maybe the Latécoère 631? https://travelupdate.com/latecoere-631-flying-boat-video/

For me, my favourite is the Vickers VC10. It just looks really good. I have a really good DVD about it from Avion Video, which is still on sale here - https://avionvideo.com/shop/page/2/ - that I got years ago. It goes through the whole story of the aircraft and has tons of really cool footage about the production and what not. Would love to have flown on board one. Everyone who has pretty much raves about how quiet it was inside. Even after the 747s came on scene, people would still ask to be booked on a VC10 for transatlantic flights.

Good thread!

Thanks for all the amazing photos Mr Classic.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:04 am

DocLightning wrote:
Long Live the Queen

I love her too and Probably the only person to have written a whole poetry on her lolz

Even though my personal favourite is ATR ..but Queen surely does have a special place in every aviation lover's heart !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:06 am

WesternDC6B wrote:

Sadly they aren't flying anywhere on the planet as of today if I'm not wrong...I believe the 330-300 and now the 330Neo has finally ended the need for the 340 series.

I really liked the long giant 340-600 and its cluster of main gears...Sadly they are a rarity now a days...as they say all good things must come to an end !

Nashville

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:54 am

SR71 Blackbird.
Looked fast when it was parked

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:25 am

Nashville wrote:
SR71 Blackbird.

Ive only seen its photos and videos have never had the luck of seeing it live in action...but Im sure it must be as magnificent in real as it looks on screen.

ElroyJetson

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:15 am

L-1011, 757, 787-10 and 744.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:18 am

ElroyJetson wrote:
L-1011, 757, 787-10 and 744.

Thanks for sharing that Mr Jetson ! I like your name too (Jet Son) is it really your name ? Id count it as a serendipity for an aviation lover to be given a name like Jet Son at birth lolz

VSMUT

Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:52 am

The Embraer E-jet: 2-2 configuration on short haul with a tall cabin and decently sized overhead lockers. Large seats, no annoying middle seat. Overhead lockers almost the same size as the older 737s, but with 33% less passengers to fight for the available space (not to mention the big lockers at the front of the cabin for excess luggage and coats).

A350: So extremely quiet, I am still amazed every time I fly on one. Sets new standards for comfort in long haul aircraft.

Cessna 172: Speaks for itself. Fun, stable, big cabin with doors on each side and a door for the cargo compartment.

ATR 42-500: Fun aircraft for bumming around in VMC conditions. Doesn't have the stupid flight deck from the -600, has a lot more power than the -300.

WesternDC6B

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 am

ClassicLover wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

Good thread!

Yes, the one with the 6 engines. It just looks so very good in my eyes. I have seen photos of it in flight, and it loses nothing in the passage of time; it is one handsome aircraft. I read up on it and apparently it was not exactly great, even considering the period in which is was designed and flown. I guess the old saying, “If it looks good it’ll fly good” didn’t work in this case.

Someone brought up general aviation; I like the old Bellancas. I also like the Piper Cherokee 140/180. Not exactly a raving beauty, but, it LOOKS LIKE AN AIRPLANE. Sturdy, no-nonsense, yet attractive. The 150/172/175 looked good until Cessna put on that silly slanted tail. That was completely out of place on those planes; it looks to me as silly as when Rootes put tailfins on the Hillman Minx, or, Studebaker put them on the Hawk. :old: The slanted tail “works” on the Cherokees.

WesternDC6B

Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Nashville wrote:
SR71 Blackbird.

Ive only seen its photos and videos have never had the luck of seeing it live in action...but Im sure it must be as magnificent in real as it looks on screen.

I was stationed in Okinawa, at Toreii Station, with the navy. I used to watch the SR71s take off out of Kadena. Truly amazing. The rumble of the engines LITERALLY shook your insides, and then seeing it go virtually straight up, was a thrill.

ClassicLover

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:20 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

Good thread!

Yes, the one with the 6 engines. It just looks so very good in my eyes. I have seen photos of it in flight, and it loses nothing in the passage of time; it is one handsome aircraft. I read up on it and apparently it was not exactly great, even considering the period in which is was designed and flown. I guess the old saying, “If it looks good it’ll fly good” didn’t work in this case.

So true - it does look great, but shame about those accidents. I only recently found this aircraft existed - it's so obscure!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

WesternDC6B

Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:57 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

Good thread!

So true - it does look great, but shame about those accidents. I only recently found this aircraft existed - it's so obscure!

Very few were built, and they had a tendency to come down, so, they are gone. The French have managed to design some very attractive aircraft over the years. This one, and the Caravelle come to mind.

conaly

Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Nothing beats the Queen for me. Especially the 747-400 and 747-8 are my absolute favorites. Unfortunately not too many flights on them (3x 744, 10x 748), but it was always a pleasure. Four engines, the upper deck, the great overall looks and the sheer size. I love her.

Besides the jumbo I also like:
Airbus A340-300 – best looking Airbus
ATR72 – my favorite turboprop
Boeing 757-200 – best looking airliner, great performance, cute nose
Tupolev 154M – most interesting airliner I've ever flown with. Great, reliable aircraft, that just seems so different than most western types.
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:27 pm

VSMUT wrote:
The Embraer E-jet: 2-2 configuration on short haul with a tall cabin and decently sized overhead lockers. Large seats, no annoying middle seat. Overhead lockers almost the same size as the older 737s, but with 33% less passengers to fight for the available space (not to mention the big lockers at the front of the cabin for excess luggage and coats).

A350: So extremely quiet, I am still amazed every time I fly on one. Sets new standards for comfort in long haul aircraft.

Cessna 172: Speaks for itself. Fun, stable, big cabin with doors on each side and a door for the cargo compartment.

ATR 42-500: Fun aircraft for bumming around in VMC conditions. Doesn't have the stupid flight deck from the -600, has a lot more power than the -300.

Thanks for sharing that Mr VSMUT !

I have never been on an Embraer or A350 but I do know that 35 is a very good looking bird and have spotted it many times even the -1000 which looks longer than the 773 at FL 400.

Seen Cessna 172 but in trainer aircraft or single prop aircraft my personal fav is TB21 probably because the first ever single prop training aircraft I saw was this one.

Talking about ATR now...then Aah that's my favourite Aircraft...though I fly it seldom but I'm such a huge fan that sometimes I literally buy tickets to fly this baby and experience the real feel of flying..it might sound weird but I enjoy the turbulence on this one...Dunno what it is but I'm truly madly and deeply in love with ATRs since the first time I ever flew on it back in 2006 - 7ish and my first ATR was Jet Airways ATR 72-500...I love all the series but Like the latest one the -600 more.

Just flew it from LKO - GOP a week ago and can't wait to share the trip report video !

Thanks for your liking for my birdie !

Take care !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:30 pm

conaly wrote:
Nothing beats the Queen for me. Especially the 747-400 and 747-8 are my absolute favorites. Unfortunately not too many flights on them (3x 744, 10x 748), but it was always a pleasure. Four engines, the upper deck, the great overall looks and the sheer size. I love her.

Besides the jumbo I also like:
Airbus A340-300 – best looking Airbus
ATR72 – my favorite turboprop
Boeing 757-200 – best looking airliner, great performance, cute nose
Tupolev 154M – most interesting airliner I've ever flown with. Great, reliable aircraft, that just seems so different than most western types.

Agree....Queen is the Queen...It will always have a special place in all the Aviation fans hearts'.

Thanks for loving my birdie ATR 72....Its my most favourite birdie among all !

MrHMSH

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Like the others, I can't just name one. Too many beauties and special aircraft.

A340-600. Great sounding engines, very elegant look.

747. Iconic, beautiful, enduring.

VC-10. Clean lines and sweeping elegance

Concorde. Because it's Concorde.

A380. May not have been a commercial success, but it captured my imagination for so long, provided more than a few comfortable rides for me, and it's something that can easily be recognised by all, certainly draws attention.

BubbleFrog

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:20 pm

744. Just so amazingly beautiful.

And the Avro Vulcan. The looks, but above all the scream.
Absolute Relativist

Boeing757100

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:11 pm

The one aircraft that has been the face of Anet for 15+ years
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:35 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Like the others, I can't just name one. Too many beauties and special aircraft.

A340-600. Great sounding engines, very elegant look.

747. Iconic, beautiful, enduring.

VC-10. Clean lines and sweeping elegance

Concorde. Because it's Concorde.

A380. May not have been a commercial success, but it captured my imagination for so long, provided more than a few comfortable rides for me, and it's something that can easily be recognised by all, certainly draws attention.

Great selections MrHMSH

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:37 pm

BubbleFrog wrote:
744. Just so amazingly beautiful.

And the Avro Vulcan. The looks, but above all the scream.

Ive said it myriads of times that 747 is just unique for its not just a plane it's an emotion and it will always remain a special bird in my heart too.

Thanks for your response Mr Frog !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:39 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

I've never been on a pencil ever but I believe it must be like a 321 or a lengthier version of it.

Thanks for your response Mr.757 !

Boeing757100

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

I've never been on a pencil ever but I believe it must be like a 321 or a lengthier version of it.

Actually the 321 is slightly more comfortable because of a slightly bigger cross-section and cabin. But, the Boeing 757 is more capable and versataile.
Boeing is re-engining the 707 tonight, with Shinkai as the CEO and FLAIRPORT as the CFO. He has the 757 tooling in giant snowglobe that tracks flights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub82Xb1 ... iceboxHero

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

Actually the 321 is slightly more comfortable because of a slightly bigger cross-section and cabin. But, the Boeing 757 is more capable and versataile.

I'd love to fly in it someday for sure !

BubbleFrog

Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:36 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

... and it has a cuter nose.
Absolute Relativist

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:31 am

BubbleFrog wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

... and it has a cuter nose.

I personally feel my ATR has the cutest nose,Tail and belly of all the aircrafts !

se210

Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:09 am

For your consideration...

Worth dressing up for...

Elegant at night...

Classy in Cleveland...

Pre-Covid Rear Stair Passenger Loading...

Nice flaps and speed brakes...

Hand-woven eco-friendly trust reversers...

A toast to the Caravelle...

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:08 am

se210 wrote:
For your consideration...

Worth dressing up for...

Elegant at night...

Classy in Cleveland...

Pre-Covid Rear Stair Passenger Loading...

Nice flaps and speed brakes...

Hand-woven eco-friendly trust reversers...

A toast to the Caravelle...

I wish I were born in the era of these beauties so I could have had the previlige of flying one of these beauties and could proudly claim them as my favoutites but sadly I could only relish it through these photos and envy those folks who have experienced these !

Thanks for the beautiful photos Mr Se210

Devilfish

Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:30 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

Sadly they aren't flying anywhere on the planet as of today if I'm not wrong.

Fortunately, a few of them found exalted second lives as State Transports.....

And in the last group -- my only -SP ride ever...and a kindred namesake. Wonder if the latter became a parts donor Down Under? :scratchchin:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:46 am

Devilfish wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

Sadly they aren't flying anywhere on the planet as of today if I'm not wrong.

Fortunately, a few of them found exalted second lives as State Transports.....

And in the last group -- my only -SP ride ever...and a kindred namesake. Wonder if the latter became a parts donor Down Under? :scratchchin:

Thanks for these beauties So appreciate it !

Austin787

Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:37 pm

My favorites:

Regional Jet: E175
Narrowbody: A320
Widebody twin: 787
Widebody quad: A380
Plane I haven't flown on: Concorde

HowardDGA

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 pm

Noorduyn Norseman - that door! That cargo space! I
Lockheed Constellation - IMHO the most beautiful prop airliner
DC-6
CV990
...and my user name.

777luver

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:42 am

FligtReporter wrote:
WesternDC6B wrote:

Sadly they aren't flying anywhere on the planet as of today if I'm not wrong...I believe the 330-300 and now the 330Neo has finally ended the need for the 340 series.

I really liked the long giant 340-600 and its cluster of main gears...Sadly they are a rarity now a days...as they say all good things must come to an end !

Azerbaijan Airlines has 2 A340-500s in pax service although they have been parked for awhile since covid, the airline says they don't plan on getting rid of them.

Gremlinzzzz

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:08 am

Concorde - First and only time civilian travel has broken the sound barrier.
Lockheed L-1011, the best of the trijets.
Boeing 747 - Queen of the skies.
Airbus A380 - Misguided project, but my word, what a technical achievement.
Airbus A350 - The most advanced airliner, last clean sheet that came on time, on budget and launched smooth.

B777LRF

Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:39 am

GA: Cirrus SR-22
Heli: Sikorsky S-76
Biz: Falcon 8X
Piston: Constellation
TP: Dash-8
TF: A340-500
Mil: Su-27
Top of the tree: Concorde
Signature. You just read one.