Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

baje427
Topic Author

Longest Q400 flight?

Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:49 am

I was on flightradar last night and happened across some long Q400 flights most were being operated by SG in India. I noticed SG7420 DEL to BLR with a flight time of three hours is this the longest Q400 flight in the world?

VSMUT

Re: Longest Q400 flight?

Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:13 pm

Isn't this just a Covid-special? IMO, although impressively long, these Covid specials shouldn't really be compared with normally scheduled flights.

Delhi-Bangalore is 919 nmi. For one-off flights, Wideroe flew some trips from Narvik to Munich, which at 1219 nmi is 300 nmi longer than Delhi to Bangalore. Absolute longest I can find for any Dash-8 variant has to be Nuuk to Copenhagen, at 1919 nmi, but I can't say if any ferry flights went even further.

According to Wikipedia's page of longest flights, if you dig up a pre-Covid edit in history:
- Porter Airlines, Toronto (YTZ) to Melbourne (in Florida): 932 nmi
- Tassili Airlines, Algiers to Tamanrasset: 839 nmi

The Points Guy listed a couple in 2017:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/the-longe ... turboprop/

- Austrian Airlines, Linz to Rhodos: 938 nmi
- Air Iceland Connect, Keflavik to Manchester: 895 nmi

On Flyertalk, a couple of posters in 2016 noted that Ethiopian had been known to use the Q400 between Addis and Dar Es Salaam, at 946 nmi.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:06 pm

I once flew KEWR-CYHZ, we couldn’t make the approach in CYHZ, the company had us return to EWR. 4 hours in the air.

This recent CYHZ KEWR non over water route was similar to what we’d fly and shows 715 NM (if flightaware does NM??) one way. So probably 1400+ NM that day in the big Dash.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CJT ... /CYHZ/KEWR

debonair

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:55 pm

VSMUT wrote:
On Flyertalk, a couple of posters in 2016 noted that Ethiopian had been known to use the Q400 between Addis and Dar Es Salaam, at 946 nmi.

Actually, the flight was triangular - connected ZNZ as well. I did this route and I survived due to an upgrade to BusinessClass. :champagne:
Combine ET generous baggage allowance and cargo to an airport (ZNZ) without any form of computer system, baggage-scales or working x-ray and you have the perfect take-off and joyride for a Dash-8Q400, NOT! :duck:

VSMUT

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:47 am

debonair wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Actually, the flight was triangular - connected ZNZ as well. I did this route and I survived due to an upgrade to BusinessClass. :champagne:
Combine ET generous baggage allowance and cargo to an airport (ZNZ) without any form of computer system, baggage-scales or working x-ray and you have the perfect take-off and joyride for a Dash-8Q400, NOT! :duck:

Funny, had a weird dream tonight about going home from Doha to Vienna on a Qatar Airways Q400XLR, with lie-flat seats in business and all.

At least Ethiopian has a 2-1 config in the business class of the Q400!

debonair

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:58 am

VSMUT wrote:

Really, since when? Even the seat map on ET homepage is showing a 2-2 config...

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/se ... /seat-map#

VSMUT

Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:43 pm

debonair wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Really, since when? Even the seat map on ET homepage is showing a 2-2 config...

https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/se ... /seat-map#

It is 2-1 in this trip report, on the same route you flew:

https://milelion.com/2017/08/02/the-mil ... s-add-dar/

Looking at planespotters and airfleets, they have 6x Q400s in full economy, 1 without anything listed and it seems the remaining 23x Q400s have actual business class seats (although listing them with 7 instead of 9 business seats?!).