Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HowardDGA
Topic Author

Poll: Business travellers planning to cut future flights

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:07 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... oronavirus

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

TL;DR

- Only 1/3 of UK business travelers expect to return to pre-Covid levels
- poll surveyed 1,414 business travellers in seven European countries
- Covid-19 reduction in air travel had no impact on work life or productivity of majority of the business flyers
- one in five said shutdown had a positive impact

CALMSP

Re: Poll: Business travellers planning to cut future flights

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 pm

not surprising. Companies are also going to significantly reduce their travel spend now that they've seen business continue, revenues remain stable and all done with zero business spend. It will be hard to justify moving forward dedicating such a large amount of funds for travel.

eurotrader85

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:45 pm

After every recession business travel is always the corporate expenditure which takes the first hit. The fundamental fact remains people do need to travel for business, to see people, drive growth, and it will gradually get back to pre-covid levels, despite the naysayers saying who needs it now we have zoom. It took four years after the recession of 08 to reach pre-crisis levels of business travel. Can see that being a viable time horizon again. Contrary to the article, I for one can say COVID-19 and the lack of travel has had a hugely detrimental impact to my industry.

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 am

Meh, if you can conduct all your business meetings on Zoom then you never need to see family again as you can use zoom. Some business travel will take a long term hit, some won't.

Fred

davidjohnson6

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:37 am

During the last 12 months, not traveling did not lead to competitive disadvantage.... your competitors had to use Zoom as well and could not meet potential clients either so you didn't lose out.

Once the potential competitive advantage of travel is restored, we might find things change a bit. There definitely was more corporate travel in 2019 than is needed now, but humans remain a social species of animal. Emailing a Powerpoint deck is never as effective as talking face to face

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:28 pm

The NBAA Daily today is reporting business jet travel is at, and in some areas above, 2/2019 levels. Lots of deal making on new and used jets, too.

VSMUT

Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:15 pm

IMO, business travel will return, faster than leisure will. Several of the reasons are listed up above. Another point is that there are simply not a lot of flights available, forcing travellers to take alternative methods in use (driving, trains, coaches and even business jets). Some will stay, but most will return to the airlines again.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The NBAA Daily today is reporting business jet travel is at, and in some areas above, 2/2019 levels. Lots of deal making on new and used jets, too.

Not hard to see why. Airlines stopped flying from one day to the next, with no end in sight. For those that absolutely had to go, business jets were the only way. Personally I had a couple of trips myself. When airlines only fly to a destination once or twice a week, that can mean some seriously long layovers at a hub somewhere. When it was at its worst in Europe, it took me a full 2-3 days on multiple different airlines just to get anywhere.

Wednesdayite

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:31 pm

Govt. employee here. In normal times, staff from my unit flew regularly out of DEN. Nobody has flown since early March 2020. We may start flying in Q4.21, but it will be minimal. It’s partly financial, but it’s also recognition that people don’t want to put themselves at risk. Overwhelming preference is to conference over zoom. I’m an exception to the rule (as you might expect from a member of this site), but I think it will be years before my unit/agency is back to the amount of flying we did pre-Covid.

PITingres

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:59 am

My company's flying will never return to the per-capita levels pre covid. For me personally, I'll probably return to flying 6-7 times a year internationally, and maybe a bit more; but most of that will be multi-day working group meetings that simply don't work out as well as telemeetings; the rest will be visiting company sites and meeting new people face to face, once or twice a year.

Many others in my company racked up miles for meetings that we've demonstrated can be done via the net. Those miles will never return.