Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Maxvokia
Topic Author

Change-of-Gauge Flights on DL/AF/KL/Others

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:51 am

It's always been a hobby of mine to look up direct flights with a change-of-gauge, where the flight number remains the same, but different equipment is used on the different legs.

Previously, DL had some on international routes that were like this, such as HNL-MNL, DEN-LHR, or MSP-DUB. AF and KL had a few routes like this as well.

Recently, though, I haven't been able to find any such flights on any of those carriers. While it makes sense to reduce customer confusion by having separate numbers for separate legs, I still like the quirky nature of a 717-200 and 767-300ER sharing the same flight number.

Does anyone know of any other flights that are currently scheduled with a change-of-gauge? I would be interested even if they're not operated by DL/AF/KL.

kaitak744

Re: Change-of-Gauge Flights on DL/AF/KL/Others

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:25 am

The Qantas flight to JFK used to use a flight number from one of the SYD-LAX A380 flights. But the JFK flight was operated with a 787 that came from BNE.

VSMUT

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:27 am

You mean single flight numbers that continue past one destination? That's really a US thing. Apart from 5th freedom flights, I've never seen that anywhere else. Similar with all those oddly timed flights (such as flights departing at 08:13). KLM has a handful 5th freedom flights, like Amsterdam - Singapore - Bali or Amsterdam - Kuala Lumpur - Jakarta, but those obviously stay on the same aircraft.

kaitak744

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:28 am

Also, at some point, Air France did something like CDG-LAX-PPT-LAX-PPT-LAX-PPT-LAX-CDG, on a 777-200ER. However the LAX-CDG part on those middle days was a 777-300ER or A380.