Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts
Topic Author

Is a 1 hour 27 min. layover at SFO too short for a domestic to transpacific connection?

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:00 pm

I was wondering if a 1 hour 27 minute layover at SFO is long enough for a connection from an UA domestic flight to onto an UA transpacific flight at SFO. Is a 1 hour 27 minute layover on a connection from an UA domestic flight onto an UA transpacific flight cutting it too close, or is 1 hour 27 minutes enough time to make a connection from a domestic flight onto a transpacific flight at SFO?

Does UA do a good job at rebooking passengers in the case of a missed connection from a domestic flight onto a transpacific flight at SFO due to a delay on the domestic leg to SFO?

maps4ltd

Re: Is a 1 hour 27 min. layover at SFO too short for a domestic to transpacific connection?

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:38 pm

What's the routing?
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

jplatts
Topic Author

Re: Is a 1 hour 27 min. layover at SFO too short for a domestic to transpacific connection?

Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:49 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
What's the routing?

I was asking the question with regards to a connection from an UA DFW-SFO flight onto a UA SFO-KIX flight.

aklrno

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 am

It will often work, unless it is cloudy at SFO and they shut down a runway or two. The international and domestic terminals are adjacent and connected airside. Using the moving walkways and a brisk pace it will usually be only about 15 or 20 minutes (max) gate to gate. If the weather is poor the incoming domestic may be late but the international departure will usually be on time.

CarlosSi

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 am

I guess a layover is only worth it if it's not longer than the time it takes to drive there from the origin, or if there were other alternatives available.

90 minutes seems very reasonable and I have to wonder if any undue delay would jeopardize you making your connecting flight. I had to wait 4 hours at EWR after a longhaul once and it was... ok. Heck, my relatives missed their flight arriving to the US (one was not a citizen) and had to take the next one at DFW..... an hour later to AUS! (no big deal!) There's not really another flight to Kansai from SF once you've missed it for the day, unless another carrier picks up the slack.

I don't believe it's possible they send you on *two* flights so that you can leave the same day to your destination? Say, you miss KIX but they route you SFO-PEK-KIX instead via Air China/UA? Doubt it.

Fuling

Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:23 am

It will work. But if you have SSSS on your KIX boarding pass, good luck!

debonair

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:53 am

AFAIK the minimum connecting time at SFO from domestic to international is 60minutes. And yes, if you miss that connection and the reservation is on one ticket, UA will have to rebook you.

bfitzflyer

Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:51 pm

Unless some sort of delay on first leg, this is plenty of time, SFO on the ground is pretty easy to navigate.

zrs70

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:11 pm

What class of service?
Are you traveling alone?
Will you be slowed down by lots of carry ons?
Are you able bodied?
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

IADCA

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:30 pm

aklrno wrote:
It will often work, unless it is cloudy at SFO and they shut down a runway or two. The international and domestic terminals are adjacent and connected airside. Using the moving walkways and a brisk pace it will usually be only about 15 or 20 minutes (max) gate to gate. If the weather is poor the incoming domestic may be late but the international departure will usually be on time.

This is the only answer you really need. The relevant variable is your arrival. 1:27 is plenty at SFO if your inbound is on-time. But that's always playing the SFO lottery - which does have better odds with flight volumes down (gate and ramp space is less of an issue) but still has the fog to contend with. If the departure time is still the same for KIX (I think it was 11 am last time I took it), an inbound at 930 local shouldn't have serious fog issues this time of year (conditions are usually better the further down the peninsula from SF proper you go, meaning SFO will be better than the city), but one never knows.

Cubsrule

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:30 pm

IADCA wrote:
aklrno wrote:

This is the only answer you really need. The relevant variable is your arrival. 1:27 is plenty at SFO if your inbound is on-time. But that's always playing the SFO lottery - which does have better odds with flight volumes down (gate and ramp space is less of an issue) but still has the fog to contend with. If the departure time is still the same for KIX (I think it was 11 am last time I took it), an inbound at 930 local shouldn't have serious fog issues this time of year (conditions are usually better the further down the peninsula from SF proper you go, meaning SFO will be better than the city), but one never knows.

Just to underscore, though, it depends on season. I doubt the OP is asking for next winter, but I probably would not book this connection in February.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

bfitzflyer

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:17 am

Cubsrule wrote:
IADCA wrote:
aklrno wrote:

Just to underscore, though, it depends on season. I doubt the OP is asking for next winter, but I probably would not book this connection in February.

Summer is fog season, much more likely to have delays then. Winter would have to be a storm, so unless a particularly wet stretch. Feb would be better than June.

IADCA

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:07 am

bfitzflyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Summer is fog season, much more likely to have delays then. Winter would have to be a storm, so unless a particularly wet stretch. Feb would be better than June.

Yeah, but 9:30 AM is much better than earlier. Much earlier you have a higher chance of fog and much later you'll have massively cascading arrival delays due to volume if the fog doesn't burn off earlier. And a DFW flight is long enough that it'll leave before the closer-in flights start getting hit with groundstops if Karl shows up big that day.

Cubsrule

Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:51 am

bfitzflyer wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
IADCA wrote:

Right you are - what I get for trying to fake my way through being a Californian.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more