Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

acavpics
Topic Author

Will you still wear masks even after the pandemic has subsided?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 pm

This thought has been looming over my head over the past several weeks. Even after the pandemic is fully in the rear view mirror (however many years that may be), I think I may still keep a stash of N-95's in my carry-on. I've been reminiscing over times where I've been sitting at the gate, waiting to board my flight and I hear lots of sneezing and coughing. It got me thinking that even when COVID-19 is subdued, wearing one could still prevent me from catching other viruses like a cold or flu. I think we all know that a nasty cold can be enough to ruin a vacation.

I think I definitely will do this on long haul international flights, considering that there is significant exposure to "foreign" pathogens in such settings. And as for other flights, if there seems to be lot of sick people on board, I think I will put one a mask on as well.

Heck, even outside of traveling, I might still wear a mask inside a crowded grocery store during cold/flu season.

What are you guys thinking? Do you see yourselves maintaining mask-wearing in the long-run for such purposes?

alan3

Re: Will you still wear masks even after the pandemic has subsided?

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:18 pm

The idea of sitting in a crowded plane, or being in any crowded indoor place, especially in winter with people sneezing and coughing their flus and cold germs around me.....? Yeah I think I'll keep my masks handy when Covid ends. I'm certainly going to be more aware of the gems on shared and commonly touched surfaces. But will be interesting how quickly everyone drops this habit or not.

dfwjim1

Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:55 pm

Yes for sure as I have not been ill since I started wearing a mask.

blandy62

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 am

I think that many airlines will make it compulsory anyways. So might not be so much a question of if we want to...

Flanker7

Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:34 am

acavpics wrote:
This thought has been looming over my head over the past several weeks. Even after the pandemic is fully in the rear view mirror (however many years that may be), I think I may still keep a stash of N-95's in my carry-on. I've been reminiscing over times where I've been sitting at the gate, waiting to board my flight and I hear lots of sneezing and coughing. It got me thinking that even when COVID-19 is subdued, wearing one could still prevent me from catching other viruses like a cold or flu. I think we all know that a nasty cold can be enough to ruin a vacation.

I think I definitely will do this on long haul international flights, considering that there is significant exposure to "foreign" pathogens in such settings. And as for other flights, if there seems to be lot of sick people on board, I think I will put one a mask on as well.

Heck, even outside of traveling, I might still wear a mask inside a crowded grocery store during cold/flu season.

What are you guys thinking? Do you see yourselves maintaining mask-wearing in the long-run for such purposes?

As long as poorer nations don't get their hands on sufficient vaccine this pandemic is far from being in the rearview mirror. New mutations could very well emerge posing a threat. Depending on where I have to travel, regardless of being vaccinated I would have a mask with me.
Flying blue only if possible

hampshireandy

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:56 am

So you've had the vaccine, you are fit and healthy yet you want to carry on wearing a mask? I will be the guy across the aisle who is pointing and laughing at you. Are you sure you would not be safer just staying in your house with the doors and windows shut? Are you not terrified of being in a road or train crash on your way to the airport??
Jesus give me strength, us brits call people like you Coronaphobes.

acavpics
Topic Author

Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm

hampshireandy wrote:
So you've had the vaccine, you are fit and healthy yet you want to carry on wearing a mask? I will be the guy across the aisle who is pointing and laughing at you. Are you sure you would not be safer just staying in your house with the doors and windows shut? Are you not terrified of being in a road or train crash on your way to the airport??

It is very evident that you did NOT take the time to read my original post. First, I said nothing about Coronavirus.I was talking about getting catching a seasonal cold/flu during "normal" travel times.

Imagine yourself on a flight to your dream vacation. People are sneezing and coughing throughout the flight. And bang! Those viruses enter your body. And just as you arrive at your dream destination, you have a cold with a high fever.

---VACATION RUINED---

That would suck a lot right? Hmmmmm... Maybe the chances of this happening to you are REDUCED if you kept a mask on during the flight?

IADCA

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:00 pm

hampshireandy wrote:

If you're a random dude across the aisle, how are you going to know whether or not I've had the vaccine?

It seems like you've got an unfulfilled desire to look down on others. Perhaps you should look into that. That seems pretty pathetic to me.

Cubsrule

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:26 pm

acavpics wrote:
hampshireandy wrote:

It is very evident that you did NOT take the time to read my original post. First, I said nothing about Coronavirus.I was talking about getting catching a seasonal cold/flu during "normal" travel times.

Imagine yourself on a flight to your dream vacation. People are sneezing and coughing throughout the flight. And bang! Those viruses enter your body. And just as you arrive at your dream destination, you have a cold with a high fever.

This past winter - with no air travel and better attention to infection control when not on the road - was for me personally the healthiest winter I can remember. I imagine some subset of us with the same observation will see what we can do to stay healthier when business travel picks back up again.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

davidjohnson6

Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Humans have dealt with coughs, cold and general malaise for thousands of years. Yes, someone aged 80+ might struggle to shake them off, but someone younger has huge resources in their immune system. One shouldn't be afraid to make use of it

NWAESC

Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:17 pm

I don't know if I'll actively wear them, but I think bringing one along on a trip is probably something I'll do. Can't hurt...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Nean1

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:03 pm

Has anyone found studies proving that masks are effective?

OA412

Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:21 pm

I'll definitely continue wearing them while flying. Long before COVID, it wasn't uncommon for me to come down with a cold shortly after flying in winter. If I can avoid that by wearing a mask, I'm all for it.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

IADCA

Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:51 pm

Nean1 wrote:

I'm sure surgeons wear them just for recreation. Yeesh.

But here: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2776536

That's just one example of a meta-analysis. Yes, they are much better at controlling COVID infections than no masks.

SoCalPilot

Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:39 pm

IADCA wrote:
Nean1 wrote:

I'm sure surgeons wear them just for recreation. Yeesh.

But here: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/f ... le/2776536

That's just one example of a meta-analysis. Yes, they are much better at controlling COVID infections than no masks.

Surgeons wear masks primarily to protect the patients from germs and bacteria, not the other way around, which is what the people in this post are talking about.

Same with covid: We are wearing masks primarily to prevent the spread of the disease to others. There's evidence that it may also protect the user, but there's also evidence that it may not. A lot of that depends on the type and how the user wears it. You can find info to backup whichever side of the debate you're on in that aspect.

Personally, unless it's a properly fitted N95 mask, I wouldn't wear one unless I was sick and didn't want others to get sick. As someone who's had to wear an N95 mask for work to protect myself from certain patients, I just don't see the benefit in wearing a surgical mask to protect myself. But if someone wants to wear one, fine by me.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:37 pm

hampshireandy wrote:

You do realise the main reason we're advised to wear masks is to stop the mask wearer spreading, not catching? Even healthy non-symptomatic people can spread it.

hampshireandy wrote:

Do we? I've never heard that word before.

Thanks. All you've done with your post is make the UK look ignorant and childish. I mean really, who laughs and points at someone?
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

PlymSpotter

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:43 pm

I don't see myself still wearing a mask. Of course during a serious global pandemic it is the responsible thing to do, but beyond that I (and those around me) have no reason to fear picking up occasional little illnesses, which will probably just help make my immune system stronger.

As it is, I apparently have a very strong immune system and it takes a lot to make me ill - something my doctor has suggested is due to plentiful exposure to different bugs and viruses growing up as an adventurous child who loved the outdoors and getting mucky!
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Vladex

Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:44 pm

Does anyone have photographic evidence of this virus? Does anyone have distinguishable symptoms of this pandemic? Does anyone have the health profile of those who are vaccinated?
No , I don't wear masks and I barely hold them up in a supermarket. They look hideous and feel bad and rough. Of course if I was coughing , I am not coughing in the mask which defeats the purported reasons of its existence.

r6russian

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:06 pm

Nope, they are retarded and pointless. People around here wear them less and less every day, gas station clerks dont even wear them and nobody says anything when you walk into an establishment without one. Ive only found 1 actual good use for the facemasks, and thats when grinding metal, keeps the grinding dust out of my nose. Alternatively, nose hairs do the same exact thing but a facemask saves me from black boogers at the end of the day

Kno

Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:32 pm

No - before the pandemic I got a cold or a flu from a flight maybe 2 or 3 times in 30 years of frequent travel.

I’ve worn it as we are in a serious global pandemic, but even then people have been taking it a little too far (wearing them while doing outdoor activities at a significant distance from others, wearing them alone in a car).

To each their own but I’ll take my chances - wearing an uncomfortable mask and living in fear is a far bigger burden than potentially catching a mild virus once every few years. Germs are everywhere people - and as natural as everything else that comes from the earth. Im a huge fan of personal hygiene and hand washing but I can’t imagine living an uptight fearful life. I can’t wait to run errands without covering my face, or take a flight without covering my face, or attend concerts and parties again.

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:10 am

acavpics wrote:
...wearing one could still prevent me from catching other viruses like a cold or flu...

I don't think it works that way, at all. The cloth masks only protects you from giving germs/viruses to someone else from what I understand. These masks are only one way, Now, if you wear a respirator for sanding wood or fiberglass, maybe.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

dfwjim1

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:19 am

OA412 wrote:
I'll definitely continue wearing them while flying. Long before COVID, it wasn't uncommon for me to come down with a cold shortly after flying in winter. If I can avoid that by wearing a mask, I'm all for it.

Even before COVID came along I would see an occasional airline passenger wearing a mask to protect themselves. What seemed odd at the time is now a part of everyday life.

I am going to keep wearing a mask when I am in crowded places even after the wearing of one is not required.

maps4ltd

Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:43 am

Only in places where it is required.

I remember flying to Vietnam on JAL in December 2019, before COVID was really a thing. On my flights, around 50% of the Asian pax wore masks. It's a cultural thing for them. Me? It's not, so I won't.
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

continental004

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:19 am

I low key would tbh.

When I went to London Christmas 2015 I caught the flu halfway during my trip and it made the rest of my time there quite miserable. Based on timing I am certain I caught the virus on the flight from Madrid.

brissypete

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:20 am

As I do now I only wear one if it's a requirement.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

KFTG

Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:14 am

IADCA wrote:
I'm sure surgeons wear them just for recreation.

Surgeons do not wear them to prevent a virus. They wear them because they are required in clean room settings, like an operating room.

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:02 pm

It is very shocking that even after a year of this pandemic, there are so many mask skeptics on here. That too on an AVIATION SITE. I would have thought that after a year of seeing the industry falling to its knees, people on here would be more sensible... I could not have been more wrong.

NWAESC

Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:06 pm

acavpics wrote:
It is very shocking that even after a year of this pandemic, there are so many mask skeptics on here. That too on an AVIATION SITE. I would have thought that after a year of seeing the industry falling to its knees, people on here would be more sensible... I could not have been more wrong.

+1

It's been pretty dispiriting to see-- all the more so given that so many here are seeing it from the inside.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

alan3

Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:05 pm

hampshireandy wrote:

Maybe we will, and maybe we won't wear a mask on planes after Covid, who knows? But it's difficult to un-learn the knowledge we've gained about how easily breath particles and unwashed hands spread viruses. Will be hard to sit in the middle seat on a crowded plane in winter with people on either side coughing and sneezing on either side of me without thinking about it.

People are germ factories. They cough and sneeze openly into the air. They blow their nose. And most people don't wash their hands after using the toilet. People being gross aren't going to stop me from going on holiday, I just don't want their germs to come with me.

And who has time to sit on a plane pointing and laughing and what other people minding their own business do with their own bodies anyway? It's a small piece of cloth, not a gas mask and hazmat suit.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:53 am

Has anyone asked the question of whether masks and pandemic measures in general are a trap that we wont ever be able to get out of? Humans have immune systems for a reason. If we aren't getting the occasional virus, cold or flu then our immune system isn't getting the chance to learn how to fight these things off. Getting sick is inconvenient and sucks but it is our body letting us know that it is doing its job. If I dont exercise for a few weeks, my muscles will be sore when I use them again. If I am off for a month on vacation, it takes me a few days to return to my usual form at work. The immune system is probably similar. If we don't use it then it will eventually not be as good fighting off things that normally wouldn't be much of a problem.

VSMUT

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:23 am

I'm ditching them as soon as possible, although travelling a lot I expect them to continue being a requirement for years in some places. Masks were always some of the less effective implementations in this crisis, more for show than anything else. Then the US presidential election made it an all-or-nothing issue, because in US politics it is all about extremes. Either you were with Trump or you were against him, and Trump was against masks.

But I will continue with hand sanitizers, regular washing, hygiene and keeping my distance.

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
Has anyone asked the question of whether masks and pandemic measures in general are a trap that we wont ever be able to get out of?

Policywise, I fear it will be. I don't think masks are going away for several years in aircraft for example.

MSJYOP28Apilot wrote:
If we aren't getting the occasional virus, cold or flu then our immune system isn't getting the chance to learn how to fight these things off.

That has been disproved time and again. The body doesn't need regular "exercise" to learn to fight off diseases.

Lpbri

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:48 pm

I will wear them when mowing the lawn. Keeps some of the dirt out of my mouth. Also when using hazardous chemicals.

T18

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:59 pm

Once the requirement is gone, I'm done.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

FriscoHeavy

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:57 pm

Absolutely not. I do not wear them now here, there nor anywhere I go and never have. Like others, I got the china plague, my immune system did its job like it does with any other virus, fought it off and on I go. That's the case with nearly everyone. I went to Central Market this weekend and the guy asked me if I needed one when I walked in the door; I said no and continued on my way without it, just as I always do. I'm not irrational like 85% of people have become. Even now, when flying, I hold a non-transparent cup and/or a snack in my hand and where around my neck for show, because truly that's all it is...for show.

We went out this weekend to numerous places and let me tell you how amazing it is for people going back to normal and doing things without this ridiculous face diaper on pretending to save the world. Hey, if you want to wear one, great, you do you and I have no issue with that. But I went back to normal a long time ago and let me tell you, life is much better that way, even if you get sick once a year.
Whatever

N776AU

Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:23 am

Absolutely not. All the militant mask warriors can live their life in fear if they want, but leave the rest of us alone.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.