Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Sdmccray1984
Topic Author

Emirates to Las Vegas? When?

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 pm

It seems EK is basically grasping at straws to find destinations for using their exorbitant number of A380s, not to mention restoring financially viable service to many cities where they operate their flagship B777-300s. Years before ORD finally got EK, I was on this board lamenting why it was taking so long for the 3rd largest US market to finally get that important kangaroo route connection. Now I’m still scratching my head regarding McCarran. Is LAS truly not a strong enough market despite the connection possibilities at DXB?

Pinto

Re: Emirates to Las Vegas? When?

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:18 pm

Sdmccray1984 wrote:
It seems EK is basically grasping at straws to find destinations for using their exorbitant number of A380s, not to mention restoring financially viable service to many cities where they operate their flagship B777-300s. Years before ORD finally got EK, I was on this board lamenting why it was taking so long for the 3rd largest US market to finally get that important kangaroo route connection. Now I’m still scratching my head regarding McCarran. Is LAS truly not a strong enough market despite the connection possibilities at DXB?

I mean look at LAS geographically, you have LAX not far away and that connects to most places. Besides wanting to only fly EK it makes no sense to connect on EK to almost anywhere outside of Inida.

MIflyer12

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:21 pm

LAS is a big domestic market. In terms of non-stop international traffic it ranked 18th in 2019 among U.S. airports -- behind PHL and DTW, just ahead of CLT. It had about 1/10th the intl traffic of JFK (let alone JFK+EWR+LGA). What makes you think LAS is a big market for relevant EK destinations?

Polot

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
LAS is a big domestic market. In terms of non-stop international traffic it ranked 18th in 2019 among U.S. airports -- behind PHL and DTW, just ahead of CLT. It had about 1/10th the intl traffic of JFK (let alone JFK+EWR+LGA). What makes you think LAS is a big market for relevant EK destinations?

It would be interesting to see that number broken out in terms of O&D intl pax though. LAS is at a geographic disadvantage compared to most of the airports you mentioned: it doesn’t connect well with many logical domestic traffic flows and requires a wide body for all Asian and European service.

Ishrion

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:36 pm

Qatar Airways announced it would launch DOH-LAS a few years ago. They had a schedule filed, delayed it a few times, and it never began.

Qatar saw potential to connect Las Vegas with the Middle East and beyond, but they backtracked on it.
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

Dominion301

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:09 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Most of LAS' international traffic is of the narrowbody transborder variety...in 'normal' times.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:16 pm

International leisure long haul demand isn't back. This is a very long route , that would need the demand to be 120% back. Maybe it we see a huge rebound, borders reopen, and demand surges we could see it. Right now borders alone make this route impossible. The flight is all leisure not essential travel which is impossible for a while.

Look at india even countries that get fully vaccinated , won't necessarily reopen borders for leisure travel soon. We are gonna see alot more regional and groups. Maybe us can visit europe or the caribbean or Canada. We are gonna see more regional smaller leisure travel then long haul

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:55 pm

Pinto wrote:
I mean look at LAS geographically, you have LAX not far away and that connects to most places.

With SFO being not that much further still.

MIflyer12 wrote:

Those would be among the least relevant to the likes of EK, as it centers around extant service including transfer.

They'd be far more interested in O&D traffic, especially that which doesn't have easy connections on extant service. This isn't to suggest that such traffic exists in sufficient quantity however, seeing as (from memory) LAS' largest int'l markets are Canada, Mexico, UK, Japan, and Korea; only one of which doesn't (per 2019) have a nonstop, but is still well-served through ICN+LAX.

Not really much for EK to go off, unless they felt they could stimulate external demand sufficiently to grow new markets (not the type of gamble airlines generally want to be taking in times such as these).

Ishrion wrote:
Qatar saw potential to connect Las Vegas with the Middle East and beyond, but they backtracked on it.

Which should be telling.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CALMSP

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:11 pm

the best option for EK in LAS is with a fifth freedom through Europe.......and would be best with a 787.

As for QR to LAS, there was never any real consideration for DOH-LAS, it was looking at the option of DOH-LUX-LAS or DOH-DUB-LAS. A proposed DOH-SJC was then looked at for increasing destinations in the US, but then DOH-SFO came about......and then not flown until demand really picked up in the summer of 2020 for long-haul traffic from SFO!

Ishrion

Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:26 pm

CALMSP wrote:
As for QR to LAS, there was never any real consideration for DOH-LAS, it was looking at the option of DOH-LUX-LAS or DOH-DUB-LAS.

What do you mean they never had any real consideration for DOH-LAS? Qatar had a press release for nonstop DOH-LAS and was selling tickets for it.

"In response to passenger demand, Qatar Airways has proudly announced it will commence four times weekly, non-stop service to Las Vegas, Nevada, starting 8 January 2018. The new route will be the airline’s 11th to the United States, connecting McCarran International Airport to Hamad International Airport in Doha, making Qatar Airways the first Gulf carrier to provide regular scheduled service to Las Vegas."

Operates Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday
Doha (DOH) to Las Vegas (LAS) QR737 departs: 08:05 arrives: 13:00
Las Vegas (LAS) to Doha (DOH) QR738 departs: 14:55 arrives: 17:20+1

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-r ... dates.html
Leaving the forums. You may know where to find me.

a320fan

Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:01 am

Ishrion wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
As for QR to LAS, there was never any real consideration for DOH-LAS, it was looking at the option of DOH-LUX-LAS or DOH-DUB-LAS.

What do you mean they never had any real consideration for DOH-LAS? Qatar had a press release for nonstop DOH-LAS and was selling tickets for it.

"In response to passenger demand, Qatar Airways has proudly announced it will commence four times weekly, non-stop service to Las Vegas, Nevada, starting 8 January 2018. The new route will be the airline’s 11th to the United States, connecting McCarran International Airport to Hamad International Airport in Doha, making Qatar Airways the first Gulf carrier to provide regular scheduled service to Las Vegas."

Those timings would have connected well into QRs Australian flights. Though DOH is going the really long way around to get to the US west coast. Especially from MEL and SYD but even from PER its stretching logical routing.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

phatfarmlines

Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:58 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Qatar Airways announced it would launch DOH-LAS a few years ago. They had a schedule filed, delayed it a few times, and it never began.

Seems to be part of QR's strategy to be a "first mover" where EK doesn't [but may] fly (see ATL, MIA, & PHL, though the latter two get AA codeshares).

Though if I remember the discussions regarding this service, it was aimed at connection traffic from Asia rather than local Qatari traffic. Perhaps that is what caused QR to reconsider?

eta unknown

Tue May 04, 2021 9:20 am

a320fan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
CALMSP wrote:

Those timings would have connected well into QRs Australian flights. Though DOH is going the really long way around to get to the US west coast. Especially from MEL and SYD but even from PER its stretching logical routing.

I'd like to see that flight depart nonstop to DOH at 14:55 during LAS summer- doubt it was possible. As for AU East coast connection flights, you'd be crazy to go via DOH instead of LAX/SFO or even backtracking to DFW.

jetwet1

Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 pm

eta unknown wrote:
a320fan wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I'd like to see that flight depart nonstop to DOH at 14:55 during LAS summer- doubt it was possible. As for AU East coast connection flights, you'd be crazy to go via DOH instead of LAX/SFO or even backtracking to DFW.

I would agree with the Australia flights, but, far east Asia (BKK, DPS ETC) QR was competitive time wise, better service and only a couple of hundred $ more. We were looking at a trip to DPS for a wedding and I was surprised at the results when I started looking for flights.

As to EK (or QR) to Vegas, I just don't see the demand being there, I'm an LAS cheerleader, but those flights just don't make sense to me.