Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

How to navigate this conversation with DL

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 pm

I'm a DL Diamond Medallion and have been since 2015. I have a trip next month where DL changed the operating carrier on my first segment from DL mainline to connection carrier Republic Airlines which normally opens you to a free change. The challenge is:

1). DL will only allow me to change the dates 1-day before or 1-day after. So this now means I'd need to either travel Thurs-Sat or Sat-Mon, neither of which I can do
2). This is a weekend trip (Friday-Sunday)
3). I'm only trying to change it to the following weekend which DL won't allow

Since I've been a DM for the past 6-years I've seen DL accommodate much more extreme schedules changes, but now after multiple HUACA the agents are all holding strong there's nothing else I can do except book 1-day before/after or kick rocks.

Am I missing anything that would elicit a different outcome?

MIflyer12

Re: How to navigate this conversation with DL

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:05 pm

You can ask for a refund to original form of payment, by long-standing DOT guidance letter.

IADFan

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:09 pm

What's wrong with a Republic-operated flight?

djack

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:10 pm

Missed #3 with my original reply about changing to the following weekend.

"The new flights must be rebooked using the same origin and destination, the same class of service and the same date as the original ticket."

I'm guessing the following weekend is now more expensive than your original ticket.
Last edited by djack on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jbmitt

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:12 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
I'm a DL Diamond Medallion and have been since 2015. I have a trip next month where DL changed the operating carrier on my first segment from DL mainline to connection carrier Republic Airlines which normally opens you to a free change. The challenge is:

1). DL will only allow me to change the dates 1-day before or 1-day after. So this now means I'd need to either travel Thurs-Sat or Sat-Mon, neither of which I can do
2). This is a weekend trip (Friday-Sunday)
3). I'm only trying to change it to the following weekend which DL won't allow

Since I've been a DM for the past 6-years I've seen DL accommodate much more extreme schedules changes, but now after multiple HUACA the agents are all holding strong there's nothing else I can do except book 1-day before/after or kick rocks.

Am I missing anything that would elicit a different outcome?

I’ve had a gate agent do exactly what you want, reschedule to the following week for a quick weekend trip. There was a delay that ended up only being minor but it was going to eat into the short trip.

WesternDC6B

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:27 pm

They do it because they can. Customer Service, even with Delta, is apparently dying.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

toobz

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 pm

I don’t understand. Why don’t you just take the connection flight? I mean I doubt it went from a A350 to a cr9.

MIflyer12

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:33 pm

IADFan wrote:
What's wrong with a Republic-operated flight?

toobz wrote:
I don’t understand. Why don’t you just take the connection flight? I mean I doubt it went from a A350 to a cr9.

Perhaps there's nothing wrong with a Republic flight. A carrier change is just a get-out-jail free card to claim a refund or to ask for a date change. It's one of the few times where leverage shifts from the carrier to the passenger. A non-stop changed to direct, or direct flight changed to a connection, are two others.
Last edited by MIflyer12 on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usflyer msp

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:34 pm

I'm sure by this point they have put a note in your PNR and no one what you ask. Take the RJ or the refund, your choice.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:42 pm

I realize I didn’t give full context and for that I apologize. The honest answer is - I live in the Boston metro area which has been extremely hard to find dates for the COVID vaccine. By luck I found a cancellation last Saturday (April 24th) and your second vaccine is 21-days later on May 15th right smack dab in the middle of my trip.

Both the hotel (Marriott Bonvoy) and rental car (Avis) have been gracious in rebooking me for no charge. However the one program I have top tier published status in (Delta Diamond Medallion) is playing hardball and wants to charge me for their choice in change of operating carriers. Neither the hotel or rental car had any changes but still allowed me to change with no top tier status. I don’t get it!

alfa164

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:57 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
I realize I didn’t give full context and for that I apologize. The honest answer is - I live in the Boston metro area which has been extremely hard to find dates for the COVID vaccine. By luck I found a cancellation last Saturday (April 24th) and your second vaccine is 21-days later on May 15th right smack dab in the middle of my trip.
Both the hotel (Marriott Bonvoy) and rental car (Avis) have been gracious in rebooking me for no charge. However the one program I have top tier published status in (Delta Diamond Medallion) is playing hardball and wants to charge me for their choice in change of operating carriers. Neither the hotel or rental car had any changes but still allowed me to change with no top tier status. I don’t get it!

Are they charging you a fee to make the change... or charging you the difference in fare between the dates? You are entitled to a refund when there is a change from mainline carrier to regional plane, so you can simply request the refund a purchase whatever new ticket you want.

If there is a difference in fare between the dates, then that is another matter.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Ziyulu

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:09 pm

I don't see what the problem is. If an airline changes your flight to a different airline but with the same dates and similar times, are you entitled to a refund?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:13 pm

Yeah I don’t think you have much of an argument to get around the change in fare side of it. You can get a refund, but they aren’t going to just let you change and not pay any fare difference. The lack of change fees helps a lot these days without the 200 fee.

Is the fare difference really enough to be concerned about?

MIflyer12

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:35 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
I don't see what the problem is. If an airline changes your flight to a different airline but with the same dates and similar times, are you entitled to a refund?

Yes. Change of operating carrier allows the passenger to request a refund (even of nonrefundable tickets) by rules of the U.S. Dept. of Transportation. Delta and Delta Connection operated by XX aren't the same thing.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:41 pm

That I think is the key part you can get a refund instead of a credit.

I don’t think you can just change the ticket to whatever dates you feel like without paying any change in fare differences

timf

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:54 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Can't you just schedule your second vaccine dose a couple days later? While 21 days is the guidance, it's okay to go a few days later if that's all that works for you. It also should be easier to get a second dose appointment as they prioritize those over first doses. You could even try to get your second dose in your destination city rather than going back to the same place you got your first dose.

Polot

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:08 pm

timf wrote:
You could even try to get your second dose in your destination city rather than going back to the same place you got your first dose.

I wouldn’t recommend that if it is just a quick weekend trip. The second dose tends to hit you harder than your first. You don’t really want to put yourself in a situation where you might get sick (even if for a day) from the vaccine and can’t/shouldn’t fly.

clrd4t8koff
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:14 pm

Polot wrote:
timf wrote:
You could even try to get your second dose in your destination city rather than going back to the same place you got your first dose.

I wouldn’t recommend that if it is just a quick weekend trip. The second dose tends to hit you harder than your first. You don’t really want to put yourself in a situation where you might get sick (even if for a day) from the vaccine and can’t/shouldn’t fly.

This is exactly my fear. Everyone I know who’s had the second dose says it’s anything from simply leaving them lethargic to full on flu symptoms of fever, chills, extreme exhaustion and awfulness. I’d rather not do this out of town or away from my spouse (who’s also getting their second vaccination the same day).

TW870

Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:58 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I don’t think you can just change the ticket to whatever dates you feel like without paying any change in fare differences

That's what I think. I am a Platinum and a former airline employee. I can't think of a case where I've seen a carrier just transfer a ticket to a totally different date pair without charging a difference in fare if there is one. Regardless of the Covid situation, I would never assume that I could swap weekends for a trip without having to be accountable for the fare difference. I don't there there really is a way to "navigate the conversation." I would just pay the difference or reschedule for a weekend when there are fares in cheaper buckets available that won't require an upcharge.

toobz

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:00 pm

I’m really still struggling with this. Why not just get on the Connection flight and save yourself from a lot of stress and headache. I mean it can’t be that long of a flight right? Or am I missing something here lol

silentbob

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:47 pm

timf wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Can't you just schedule your second vaccine dose a couple days later? While 21 days is the guidance, it's okay to go a few days later if that's all that works for you. It also should be easier to get a second dose appointment as they prioritize those over first doses. You could even try to get your second dose in your destination city rather than going back to the same place you got your first dose.

I had no option for rescheduling my second shot, but that was a couple months ago when they were harder to get.

TVNWZ

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:46 am

I was faced with the same thing. Asked for a week 1/2 later. No problem. Try that. (Pfizer in Fl. )

DTWLAX

Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:50 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Get your second shot after 24 days instead of 21 days... no big deal. It will still be within CDC recommended guidelines.
You are creating more problems for yourself trying to change your flight dates. As others have said, you can cancel and get a refund for the change in operating carrier. You cannot just change the flights to another date without paying for the fare difference. Keep in mind, even if there is a change in operating carrier, DL has not canceled the flights, so they are under no obligation to allow you a change without paying the fare difference.

Ziyulu

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:52 pm

Sounds like this traveler is trying to use the change of carrier as an excuse to get a refund.

IPFreely

Mon May 17, 2021 6:53 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Sounds like this traveler is trying to use the change of carrier as an excuse to get a refund.

I think he or she is eligible for a refund.

It seems more likely that he or she bought a ticket for a day with lower fares and is now trying to change to fly on a day with higher fares without paying the fare difference.

FlyEndeavorAir

Mon May 17, 2021 8:09 pm

Maybe HUCA?

hongkongflyer

Tue May 18, 2021 5:48 am

TW870 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

That's what I think. I am a Platinum and a former airline employee. I can't think of a case where I've seen a carrier just transfer a ticket to a totally different date pair without charging a difference in fare if there is one. Regardless of the Covid situation, I would never assume that I could swap weekends for a trip without having to be accountable for the fare difference. I don't there there really is a way to "navigate the conversation." I would just pay the difference or reschedule for a weekend when there are fares in cheaper buckets available that won't require an upcharge.

I once successfully got a free rebook to a completely different set of date.
It was a Scoot ticket from HKG to Australia via Singapore, the flight from HKG to SIN got cancelled weeks ahead and they rebooked me to a later flight on the same date,
but I would not be able to connect to the Australia flight on the same date, which means my time in Australia will be shortened.

I called and they agreed to change the whole set of ticket to next week to avoid the cancelled HKG to SIN flight without any charge even my new travel period will included public holidays (i.e. peak season of travelling)

TW870

Tue May 18, 2021 3:58 pm

hongkongflyer wrote:
TW870 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I once successfully got a free rebook to a completely different set of date.
It was a Scoot ticket from HKG to Australia via Singapore, the flight from HKG to SIN got cancelled weeks ahead and they rebooked me to a later flight on the same date,
but I would not be able to connect to the Australia flight on the same date, which means my time in Australia will be shortened.

I called and they agreed to change the whole set of ticket to next week to avoid the cancelled HKG to SIN flight without any charge even my new travel period will included public holidays (i.e. peak season of travelling)

I think your case is different though because a schedule change wrecked your whole itinerary and cut your trip short by a day. But in the OP's case, they initiated the re-book given a Covid vaccination. I can't think of a case where even a top tier elite is allowed to initiate a re-book for completely different dates without paying a fare difference.