Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RCS763AV
Topic Author

What the hell is going on with AA1126?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 pm

People in the forum, I'm at BOG and was scheduled to leave to MIA last night on AA1126, but the flight is having severe delays because of some crew problem, yet they're not giving anyone any information, not giving refunds, and tensions are escalating. What the hell is up, can anybody at AA shed some light on this, maybe try to contact AA's ground grew n BOG because they seem to be clueless???

usxguy

Re: What the hell is going on with AA1126?

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:03 pm

Looks like there's a chance it may cancel. "DCSN" means a flight is on "decision" to operate/continue delaying or cancel. What I'm not sure of is how/why there's a crew rest requirement if its an originating crew in Miami - on the 28th it landed on time, and on the 29th it was an hour late.

AA1126/30APR
BOG 1215A
MIA CD D4 505A
3BOG/DCSN1310 CRR-DELAY DUE TO CREW REST REQUIREMENTS *1210
7BOG/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *1225*CRCYMG
2MIA/PRE1753 *1210
xx

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:23 pm

Thanks! Info rn is that the captain is not "feeling well2 whatever that means! Very dissappointing treatment from AA...

Atlwest1

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:29 pm

RCS763AV wrote:
Thanks! Info rn is that the captain is not "feeling well2 whatever that means! Very dissappointing treatment from AA...

So do you expect them to tell you why he isn't feeling well or go into his medical specifics? Granted communication could have been a little easier and clearer from the beginning,but if the captain is not feeling well or sick I'd rather him not fly.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co. or Airt

77H

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Atlwest1 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:

So do you expect them to tell you why he isn't feeling well or go into his medical specifics? Granted communication could have been a little easier and clearer from the beginning,but if the captain is not feeling well or sick I'd rather him not fly.

I logged on to say nearly the same thing. As a US citizen working for a US airline, divulging his illness would certainly violate HIPPA. More importantly to your point I'd rather take a delay up front than risk an enroute diversion due to a crew medical emergency or worse, end up a breaking news headline.

77H

ScottB

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:58 pm

Atlwest1 wrote:

I think the desire would be for the airline to set expectations properly and reschedule to a time that wouldn't necessarily rely on the captain feeling better after a rest interval. What looks likely and what should have been planned after the captain reported feeling sick last night was to deadhead a 777 captain on the morning MIA-BOG flight to replace the sick pilot. That flight only arrives at 1335 so plan the delayed departure for a time which allows for the new captain to deal with any government procedures and complete preflight checks -- basically what appears to be the rescheduled departure at 1430.

Don't make the passengers wait around at the airport for a dubious departure time if the decision has already been made to send down a replacement captain -- just go with the plan to use the replacement.

Vicenza

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:02 pm

RCS763AV wrote:

I would have thought that it was pretty clear what it means. Things happen, people fall ill and AA, or any airline doesn't revolve around you

toobz

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Annoying yes. And communication should be better. And they should give vouchers for food and drink. And put in hotel if they can’t manage to leave due to illness. I can’t imagine there's many people on the flight, so shouldn’t break them. But it’s not AAs fault someone fell ill. It happens in every profession and every airline. But lack of communication is by far the most annoying.

EBiafore99

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Vicenza wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:

I would have thought that it was pretty clear what it means. Things happen, people fall ill and AA, or any airline doesn't revolve around you

No, it is not clear. Okay, the captain is ill, so what is AA's plan? Are they going to deadhead a pilot, cancel the flight, or what? I understand his frustration. I've been on delayed flights where a crew member has been ill. The agent has indicated as such and that they were looking for a replacement. Then, when they found a replacement, the agent announced the plan.

In the end, an agent can be "general" and provide information to help passengers understand what is going on.

airlinepeanuts

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 pm

EBiafore99 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:

No, it is not clear. Okay, the captain is ill, so what is AA's plan? Are they going to deadhead a pilot, cancel the flight, or what? I understand his frustration. I've been on delayed flights where a crew member has been ill. The agent has indicated as such and that they were looking for a replacement. Then, when they found a replacement, the agent announced the plan.

In the end, an agent can be "general" and provide information to help passengers understand what is going on.

Yeah but it's never enough for some people so why provide anything at all? Everyone will still complain.

EBiafore99

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:37 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

Yeah but it's never enough for some people so why provide anything at all? Everyone will still complain.

Yes, some people will find the information given is not enough. However, there will also be people who will take the information and remain calm. In a situation like this, you need to keep people calm. Not telling them anything is NOT a way to keep people calm. Yes, the information may not be enough for some people, but the smaller you make that group, the better it will be. I've been in this situation with a 14+ hour delay, but the gate agent did a phenomenal job keeping us informed. No one was happy, but they were informed and therefore, remained calm. Yes, there were some instigators, but when the majority of passengers are calm, it makes the instigators the outliers.

toobz

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:38 pm

seriously airlinepeanuts?? You sound like a disgruntled airline employee. Communication is key. Nobody should be left hanging around a gate for hours if a pilot is sick. Cancel the damn flight and get people in a room. And take your sweet ass time to figure it out.

airlinepeanuts

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:49 pm

toobz wrote:
seriously airlinepeanuts?? You sound like a disgruntled airline employee. Communication is key. Nobody should be left hanging around a gate for hours if a pilot is sick. Cancel the damn flight and get people in a room. And take your sweet ass time to figure it out.

But they can't take their sweet ass time to figure out if they can get another pilot? The same courtesy isn't mutual. I'm not advocating saying nothing, I'm advocating saying the most accurate information, and sometimes that takes time....a lot of time. It's more frustrating to give information to customers and then it ends up changing and being the exact opposite and causes people to be even more upset.

SESGDL

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:56 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

I'm shocked at responses like this. Maybe all companies should do away with customer service altogether. People will complain anyway, right? Wrong order, too bad. Flight cancelled, too bad. I'm appalled at the lengths people will go to defend the airlines. If a pilot is ill, fine, but it's ABSOLUTELY up to the airline to provide accurate updates to their customers as well as provide a solution to getting them to their destination. Being given the runaround is not acceptable for a multi-billion dollar company that transports hundreds of millions of passengers.

Jeremy

airlinepeanuts

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:58 pm

SESGDL wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:
EBiafore99 wrote:

I'm shocked at responses like this. Maybe all companies should do away with customer service altogether. People will complain anyway, right? Wrong order, too bad. Flight cancelled, too bad. I'm appalled at the lengths people will go to defend the airlines. If a pilot is ill, fine, but it's ABSOLUTELY up to the airline to provide accurate updates to their customers as well as provide a solution to getting them to their destination. Being given the runaround is not acceptable for a multi-billion dollar company that transports hundreds of millions of passengers.

Jeremy

Some would argue giving accurate and quality information is better than giving frequent incorrect, inaccurate information. Getting it right is more important than getting it out quickly.

SESGDL

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:02 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Jeremy

Some would argue giving accurate and quality information is better than giving frequent incorrect, inaccurate information. Getting it right is more important than getting it out quickly.

Wrong. When you're waiting for a long flight and have been dealing with multiple delays and no information, there's nothing worse than not being given any type of assistance. I've been through this many times. Let people know what's happening or at least when people can EXPECT to know what's going on. Hours and hours of no updates are completely unacceptable, in my opinion, and what causes people to get the most angry. If you don't know all the details yet and things may change, fine, but tell people something. How is this a difficult concept?

Jeremy

hayzel777

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm

AA should just give everyone a couple meal vouchers or like a bottle of water/biscoff cookie if possible. Food and water normally shuts the passengers up for a bit.

They shouldn't even bother giving them a hotel room; the delay is only roughly 15 hours. By the time the transportation to the hotel and the rooms were arranged, they would have very little time at the hotel before they would have to come back for the flight. Then when you give them rooms, the passengers get all ticked off when the bags don't come off as well. People just complain and complain all the time, not realizing the logistics.

If you really are that unhappy, ask for a refund over the phone or through social media and just exit immigration. No one is holding a gun to your head to go fly. Airport staff (which are likely contractors) are likely stretched thin (and tired too).
Last edited by hayzel777 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maps4ltd

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:30 pm

RCS763AV wrote:
People in the forum, I'm at BOG and was scheduled to leave to MIA last night on AA1126, but the flight is having severe delays because of some crew problem, yet they're not giving anyone any information, not giving refunds, and tensions are escalating. What the hell is up, can anybody at AA shed some light on this, maybe try to contact AA's ground grew n BOG because they seem to be clueless???

So what are the specifics, OP? Did you get meal vouchers? A hotel room? Compensation? None or all of the above?

Otherwise, what we're discussing in this thread is purely speculation.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

LAX772LR

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:52 pm

77H wrote:
As a US citizen working for a US airline, divulging his illness would certainly violate HIPPA.

...and HIPAA even. :biggrin:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

johns624

Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:02 pm

AA probably didn't know for awhile what they were going to do. It's not like you're at a domestic hub or even an outstation an hour away with frequent flights. Finding a qualified crew member might have taken a while.

SoCalPilot

Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:11 pm

77H wrote:
Atlwest1 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:

I logged on to say nearly the same thing. As a US citizen working for a US airline, divulging his illness would certainly violate HIPPA. More importantly to your point I'd rather take a delay up front than risk an enroute diversion due to a crew medical emergency or worse, end up a breaking news headline.

77H
It would not be a violation of HIPAA. Outside of air ambulance operations, I don't know of any aviation employees who would be covered by HIPAA.

Would it be unprofessional to give out personal information such as that? Yes.

A violation of HIPAA? No. HIPAA doesn't exist in this case.

jfk777

Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:54 pm

How can a flights taking 3 hours and change from Colombia to Miami be delayed 15 hours. Whatever health the Captain is in the Miami hub has tons of AA planes. AA should have flown another plane or two to get people to MIA or put people on Avianca. A delay this long might be understandable if the flight were in Asia or Australia but not in a north Latin country so close to MIA. AA should be ashamed of itself.

Flflyer83

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:02 pm

77H wrote:
Atlwest1 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:

77H

HIPAA does not apply to the vast majority of employers. It applies to healthcare providers, health plans, and health clearinghouses and their associated business associates (EMR companies, business services, etc.

hayzel777

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:36 pm

jfk777 wrote:
How can a flights taking 3 hours and change from Colombia to Miami be delayed 15 hours. Whatever health the Captain is in the Miami hub has tons of AA planes. AA should have flown another plane or two to get people to MIA or put people on Avianca. A delay this long might be understandable if the flight were in Asia or Australia but not in a north Latin country so close to MIA. AA should be ashamed of itself.

And if the airline did that and I was a shareholder, I'd be demanding DP's head for that. The airline is not a charity; they will make the operational decision that makes the most sense in terms of financial impact and operational impact. Why in the world would they repo a 777 (which costs anywhere between 7k-10k in direct operating cost, which means fuel and maintenance, per flight hour) to BOG with a whole new crew (which means they are double paying for crew members now too) when they could get the replacement captain to hop on the next revenue flight available at just the cost of one captain's duty hour rate.

God, people demand so much in terms of service when you are paying some of the lowest air travel prices the industry has seen (COVID being the exception). This same mentality goes for those in cattle: you get what you pay for! Want more legroom? Pay up. Want better food? Pay up.

If you want tip top service and perfect IRROPS recovery, head on over to the private side and fork out 100% of all direct and indirect costs from your wallet. Otherwise, sit down and enjoy what you get.

Okcflyer

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:37 pm

ScottB wrote:
Atlwest1 wrote:

I think the desire would be for the airline to set expectations properly and reschedule to a time that wouldn't necessarily rely on the captain feeling better after a rest interval. What looks likely and what should have been planned after the captain reported feeling sick last night was to deadhead a 777 captain on the morning MIA-BOG flight to replace the sick pilot. That flight only arrives at 1335 so plan the delayed departure for a time which allows for the new captain to deal with any government procedures and complete preflight checks -- basically what appears to be the rescheduled departure at 1430.

Don't make the passengers wait around at the airport for a dubious departure time if the decision has already been made to send down a replacement captain -- just go with the plan to use the replacement.

Exactly!! AA did something similar to this to us recently. We never learned the cause of delay. Their operations group is quite terrible, and customer service even worse.

SonomaFlyer

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:49 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
jfk777 wrote:

And if the airline did that and I was a shareholder, I'd be demanding DP's head for that. The airline is not a charity; they will make the operational decision that makes the most sense in terms of financial impact and operational impact. Why in the world would they repo a 777 (which costs anywhere between 7k-10k in direct operating cost, which means fuel and maintenance, per flight hour) to BOG with a whole new crew (which means they are double paying for crew members now too) when they could get the replacement captain to hop on the next revenue flight available at just the cost of one captain's duty hour rate.

God, people demand so much in terms of service when you are paying some of the lowest air travel prices the industry has seen (COVID being the exception). This same mentality goes for those in cattle: you get what you pay for! Want more legroom? Pay up. Want better food? Pay up.

If you want tip top service and perfect IRROPS recovery, head on over to the private side and fork out 100% of all direct and indirect costs from your wallet. Otherwise, sit down and enjoy what you get.

Poor communications is the root of many problems in the industry. If there was a subsequent flight down to BOG, stick a reserve Capt on it and bring the delayed flight home. Otherwise, report to passengers the flight is cancelling due to crew illness and put the folks up at hotels if you can't rebook them out of BOG.

AA's IIROPS comms is bad and has been for some time. The response, go get stuffed (in a nutshell) isn't the answer, armchair CEOs not withstanding.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 am

Atlwest1 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:

I expect AA not to have 15.5 hour deays without granting proper compensations to passengers or giving clear information on a supposedly 3 hour flight.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 am

ScottB wrote:
Atlwest1 wrote:

That is exactly what people were expecting. How can AA not deadhead a crew from MIA or DFW when they operate five aily flights into BOG?

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 6:14 am

hayzel777 wrote:
AA should just give everyone a couple meal vouchers or like a bottle of water/biscoff cookie if possible. Food and water normally shuts the passengers up for a bit.

They shouldn't even bother giving them a hotel room; the delay is only roughly 15 hours. By the time the transportation to the hotel and the rooms were arranged, they would have very little time at the hotel before they would have to come back for the flight. Then when you give them rooms, the passengers get all ticked off when the bags don't come off as well. People just complain and complain all the time, not realizing the logistics.

If you really are that unhappy, ask for a refund over the phone or through social media and just exit immigration. No one is holding a gun to your head to go fly. Airport staff (which are likely contractors) are likely stretched thin (and tired too).

15 HOURS SHOULDN'T GUARANTEE A HOTEL ROOM???? Wow if the clown face emoji was availabe on this forum I must say. This is insane. Also, the logistics? You're an airline, you should be able to deal with this, its basically your business to deal with this!!!!

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 6:24 am

Anyways I'm glad this opened a conversation about AA's dismal operations services.

Just to be clear regarding some posts questioning about facts:

AA 1126 to depart BOG 12:30AM bound to MIA
When allready boarding (yes, business pax were already boarding) pilot decides not to fly, everyone off the plane. This is approximately 1 AM.
AA refuses to tell airport authority to let people go back through immigration until 1:45AM
Peole are only given hotel and meal vouchers after 2 hours in line at 4AM
PAX given hotel accommodation are all stuffed into one hotel which doesn't have enough room (I live in Bogota and was able to go home, but other pax told us it was a disaster and they only maaged to seep for around 2H)
AA never guarantees social distancing during the entire process
Everyone is told to come back next day flight to depart at 11AM
Everyone comes back, flight delayed every 20 minutes, boarding doesn't start until 3PM
Flight actually departs 4:30PM

Total compensation: $10 meal voucher, crappy hotel accomodation for those who needed it after a two hour line, and a $100 "overweight luggage" voucher. That was all.

Explanations given all the time: pilot still isn't feeling well. We're talking to ops in the US to see what we can do.

I'm sorry, but you can't be the largest airline in the world by many metrics and function like some obscure charter oerator from an impoverished country.

hayzel777

Mon May 03, 2021 9:04 pm

RCS763AV wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:

15 HOURS SHOULDN'T GUARANTEE A HOTEL ROOM???? Wow if the clown face emoji was availabe on this forum I must say. This is insane. Also, the logistics? You're an airline, you should be able to deal with this, its basically your business to deal with this!!!!

Like I said before, arranging a bus and hotel rooms is not that simple. How many rooms do they need (can families sleep in 1 room, why waste money getting 2 rooms)? Which hotel even has availability this last minute for such large volume? Sounds like they had a pretty quick turnaround on the hotel situation.
RCS763AV wrote:
Anyways I'm glad this opened a conversation about AA's dismal operations services.

When allready boarding (yes, business pax were already boarding) pilot decides not to fly, everyone off the plane. This is approximately 1 AM.
AA refuses to tell airport authority to let people go back through immigration until 1:45AM
PAX given hotel accommodation are all stuffed into one hotel which doesn't have enough room (I live in Bogota and was able to go home, but other pax told us it was a disaster and they only maaged to seep for around 2H)
Everyone comes back, flight delayed every 20 minutes, boarding doesn't start until 3PM

Total compensation: $10 meal voucher, crappy hotel accomodation for those who needed it after a two hour line, and a $100 "overweight luggage" voucher. That was all.

Explanations given all the time: pilot still isn't feeling well. We're talking to ops in the US to see what we can do.

I'm sorry, but you can't be the largest airline in the world by many metrics and function like some obscure charter oerator from an impoverished country.

Scared of COVID-19 due to the lack of social distancing? Don't fly.
Got a hotel room but still complaining about the hotel being crappy. What a joke.
What would be suitable compensation for you?

All that really matters to AA (and rightfully so) is that the flight crew are safe, comfortable, and well-rested and the flight is completed in a safe manner. Without the crew, there would be no flight. Then they can worry about customers.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:

Like I said before, arranging a bus and hotel rooms is not that simple. How many rooms do they need (can families sleep in 1 room, why waste money getting 2 rooms)? Which hotel even has availability this last minute for such large volume? Sounds like they had a pretty quick turnaround on the hotel situation.
RCS763AV wrote:

Got a hotel room but still complaining about the hotel being crappy. What a joke.

All that really matters to AA (and rightfully so) is that the flight crew are safe, comfortable, and well-rested and the flight is completed in a safe manner. Without the crew, there would be no flight. Then they can worry about customers.

Scared of COVID, dont fly? No sir, see, I have a contract with a company. Such contract clearly states they will guarantee COVID safety measures to all passengers. I'm sorry I know this is not a standard practice in most of the internal United States and you think its normal for people and companies not to guarantee your safety. However, I won't get political on that. I'm just pointing out your argument makes no sense.

Seaking of suitable compensation, we don't have to set our own standards, for that, we have the Montreal Convention signed in 1999, where it states the adequate compensations for cancelled and delayed international flights. After a delay of over 2H, you're entitled to be refunded for suffered damages up to ~6000USD (no one was given appropriate channels to get compensated under Montreal), to hotel accomodation (which was insufficient) and to be accomodated in other flights at no cost pending availability (only flights up to 24H form the departure date were allowed to be changed, but there was no availability).

Anways, thank you all who didn't troll the discussion and provided some insight. Things got out of hand for AA and I'm sorry it happened. It's sad to see compared to the good work DL and to a lesser extent UA are doing.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 11:16 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:

RCS763AV wrote:

Scared of COVID, dont fly? No sir, see, I have a contract with a company. Such contract clearly states they will guarantee COVID safety measures to all passengers. I'm sorry I know this is not a standard practice in most of the internal United States and you think its normal for people and companies not to guarantee your safety. However, I won't get political on that. I'm just pointing out your argument makes no sense.

Seaking of suitable compensation, we don't have to set our own standards, for that, we have the Montreal Convention signed in 1999, where it states the adequate compensations for cancelled and delayed international flights. After a delay of over 2H, you're entitled to be refunded for suffered damages up to ~6000USD (no one was given appropriate channels to get compensated under Montreal), to hotel accomodation (which was insufficient) and to be accomodated in other flights at no cost pending availability (only flights up to 24H form the departure date were allowed to be changed, but there was no availability).

Anways, thank you all who didn't troll the discussion and provided some insight. Things got out of hand for AA and I'm sorry it happened. It's sad to see compared to the good work DL and to a lesser extent UA are doing.

RCS763AV
Topic Author

Mon May 03, 2021 11:16 pm

hayzel777 wrote:
RCS763AV wrote:
hayzel777 wrote:

RCS763AV wrote: