Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IADFan
Topic Author

Post-pandemic U.S.-Canada transborder flights

Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 pm

Assuming COVID is manageable, borders are open and there's a consistent process for trans-border travel, what will service look like? Also assume that business travel will be slow to kick back. For example, I assume Air Canada is unlikely to serve so many smaller U.S. markets given they have retired smaller aircraft. What U.S. markets will see Canada flights return? I welcome your thoughts!

vedatil4

Re: Post-pandemic U.S.-Canada transborder flights

Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm

San Diego is getting all the Canada flights back by June. We're also adding a direct flight from Montreal. We could also count the flight from Everett as a Canada flight as it draws people from Vancouver.

Tourism seems to be picking up quickly here. I imagine Canadians are ready to visit Sea World, the Zoo, and Legoland. At the same time I want to visit Calgary again but that doesn't seem as possible.

It would be interesting to find out how many of them will be flying to San Diego to go to the CBX bridge and fly to places in Mexico out of TIJ. That's a more recent phenomenon.

MIflyer12

Tue May 04, 2021 1:21 pm

Lots. Just not as many city pairs or frequencies as in 2019.

tphuang

Tue May 04, 2021 2:00 pm

the main issue is the drop in TPAC demand. A lot of those AC flights are filled by connection itineraries to Asia and Teurope. With TPAC down as much as it is for the next few years and TATL likely down too, it's hard to see AC ramp up with the frequency they had pre-COVID.

hoons90

Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pm

If the Canadian dollar stays where it is (or goes up), I think it could help Canada point-of-sale leisure traffic rebound a bit more quickly. It is at 81c to the US dollar at the moment, which is a three-year high.

hollywoodcory

Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
San Diego is getting all the Canada flights back by June. We're also adding a direct flight from Montreal. We could also count the flight from Everett as a Canada flight as it draws people from Vancouver.

Tourism seems to be picking up quickly here. I imagine Canadians are ready to visit Sea World, the Zoo, and Legoland. At the same time I want to visit Calgary again but that doesn't seem as possible.

It would be interesting to find out how many of them will be flying to San Diego to go to the CBX bridge and fly to places in Mexico out of TIJ. That's a more recent phenomenon.

Is this specific to a single airline or all because WestJet has removed YVR-SAN for the whole summer, and removed YYC-SAN until July. I also don't see SAN on Air Canada's June schedule either.

Also I wouldn't count on Canada re-opening the border by June either. Many provinces don't even allow interprovincial travel currently. The soonest I see the border opening up is July.

vedatil4

Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

Is this specific to a single airline or all because WestJet has removed YVR-SAN for the whole summer, and removed YYC-SAN until July. I also don't see SAN on Air Canada's June schedule either.

Also I wouldn't count on Canada re-opening the border by June either. Many provinces don't even allow interprovincial travel currently. The soonest I see the border opening up is July.

I was using a website called flightsfrom. I was seeing 3x and 4x dailys from Vancouver mostly on Air Canada, and W,F,Su flights from Calgary on Westjet.

But now checking Westjet directly I see that the Calgary and Vancouver flights don't start until July 5th. Maybe there will be a big announcement from either government at some point from now 'til then?

You're right about San Diego not showing up on Air Canada. :-( That's a bummer. I was all excited for nothing.

Now I know not to trust that flightsfrom site too much.

I used to track Canada flights and watch them land as they arrived at San Diego during my lunchtime. I've always been fascinated with our northerly neighbor.

I've had a trip to Calgary and Edmonton on hold because of the border restrictions.

Thanks for pointing this out.

alan3

Fri May 07, 2021 2:24 am

If/when the borders open probably mid to late summer, I don't see much being added or restored outside the main routes from places like LAX, New York, etc.

A lot won't return until summer 2022, IMO. YVR for example gets a lot of summer traffic that feeds cruise ship departures but since all cruise ships are banned until 2022 don't see the point. (eg: SY were supposed to launch their first Canadian route MSP-YVR)

I think the routes that serve Canadians vacationing in the US (Hawaii, California, Phoenix, Florida) will pick up this winter