Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingSicilian
Topic Author

Top ten current overseas routes by flights

Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Numbers in the US keep rising; Moscow is pushing a lot of flights it seems also.

Has anyone seen any numbers regarding actual number of pax travelling city (not airport) pairs?

The article goes into the pent up US demand and note the Caribbean and points south should be big winners. If Europe opens this summer I would think pax wise numbers would jump.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb/wh ... laces-shut
I was told there would be cookies...

ATLgaUSA

Re: Top ten current overseas routes by flights

Thu May 06, 2021 4:01 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
Numbers in the US keep rising; Moscow is pushing a lot of flights it seems also.

Has anyone seen any numbers regarding actual number of pax travelling city (not airport) pairs?

The article goes into the pent up US demand and note the Caribbean and points south should be big winners. If Europe opens this summer I would think pax wise numbers would jump.

I don't think Orlando-San Juan counts as an overseas flight.

BWIAirport

Thu May 06, 2021 4:14 pm

I don't know if I would call any of these overseas. Some I get are over the Sargasso Sea which is technically overseas but few would consider that overseas, but Moscow-SIP doesn't even cross a sea, nor does DFW-MEX; DXB-DEL crosses like the mouth of the Persian Gulf, CUN-IAH/DFW and MEX-MIA cross the Gulf of Mexico which, again, is technically open water but I don't know anyone who would call that overseas. Moscow-IST clips the black sea.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B38M B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

FlyingSicilian
Topic Author

Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 pm

I would say international but the guidelines I saw said use the title which the media used "overseas"

VSMUT

Fri May 07, 2021 7:57 am

ATLgaUSA wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

I don't think Orlando-San Juan counts as an overseas flight.

I don't think Moscow-Simferopol can really count as one either, regardless of what one thinks of Crimea's status. It is treated as a domestic flight.

BWIAirport wrote:
I don't know if I would call any of these overseas. Some I get are over the Sargasso Sea which is technically overseas but few would consider that overseas, but Moscow-SIP doesn't even cross a sea, nor does DFW-MEX; DXB-DEL crosses like the mouth of the Persian Gulf, CUN-IAH/DFW and MEX-MIA cross the Gulf of Mexico which, again, is technically open water but I don't know anyone who would call that overseas. Moscow-IST clips the black sea.

Overseas generally and in this case means to another country, not necessarily across a sea.

PatrickZ80

Fri May 07, 2021 7:14 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Overseas generally and in this case means to another country, not necessarily across a sea.

Indeed it's confusing they used the word overseas where it should have said international. Overseas can have multiple meanings, however there can be no doubt about the meaning of the word international.

And yes, the top two out of this list is considered to be domestic instead of international. Whoever published this article needs to get back to school as it's full of flaws, it should never have been allowed to get published.

aeromoe

Fri May 07, 2021 7:45 pm

Wouldn't it be ironic if all 10 flights were from Europe to Asia...none of them actually flying over any "seas." :lol:
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

VSMUT

Sat May 08, 2021 4:44 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Indeed it's confusing they used the word overseas where it should have said international. Overseas can have multiple meanings, however there can be no doubt about the meaning of the word international.

And yes, the top two out of this list is considered to be domestic instead of international. Whoever published this article needs to get back to school as it's full of flaws, it should never have been allowed to get published.

It's a news outlet from the US. In the eyes of an American, every foreign travel except Canada and Mexico is over a sea (and the latter is still likely to be over the sea from many parts of the US).

jumpjets

Sat May 08, 2021 11:12 am

Not wishing to be too pedantic but I think we need to distinguish between the single word 'overseas' and the two words 'over seas'.

In the context of traveling the latter clearly means to cross over one or more seas. However if you consult a book of synonyms and look up the single word 'overseas' this is grouped with such words as foreign or abroad - and makes no specific link to travelling over water. Therefore in my opinion any flight that either crosses a sea or a country border would qualify to be regarded as 'overseas' travel.

Therefore any of the routes listed in the chart in the opening post would qualify as an overseas route as they either cross a sea or a country border. As to Simferopol my understanding is, depending on your political take on the situation, still part of the Ukraine or it is part of the Independent state of Crimea - in which case it is i either case overseas from the Russian Federation city of Moscow.

VSMUT

Sun May 09, 2021 4:28 am

jumpjets wrote:
As to Simferopol my understanding is, depending on your political take on the situation,

The passengers are probably Russians being treated as domestic passengers. Official recognized status or not, it is practically domestic.

jumpjets wrote:
...still part of the Ukraine...

It is just "Ukraine", no "the".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... -it-right/

eurotrader85

Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 pm

What I think might be interesting in the nearby future is how this list changes once Europe/US etc opens up, not because of course there will be more diversity to the list, but to the fact that pairings may well show a change in travel direction by pax compared to 2019, with more having to route (longhaul) through hubs instead of point to point as was becoming easier and easier pre-pandemic. Eg., US second tier cities from a European viewpoint and vice versa. Will LHR-CHS or PHL-DBV be straight back on BA/AA respective schedules? Or are the carriers more likely to route through CLT and LHR? The point being I think hub and spoke will probably be easier to build up quicker than point to point for the major carriers (specific holiday destinations/LCCs apart) and thus the make up of direction of pax on 'overseas' or international routes may well, initially, look very different to how it would have been if COVID had never happened, at least until we get back to 2019 pax levels again.

AntonioMartin

Sun May 09, 2021 10:05 pm

technically speaking, only five of these flights would even be "over the water"...

FCOTSTW

Fri May 14, 2021 7:01 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:

May be PMO-JFK? Acchiana! ;-) just a friendly joke

FlyingSicilian
Topic Author

Sat May 15, 2021 3:42 am

FCOTSTW wrote:
FlyingSicilian wrote:

May be PMO-JFK? Acchiana! ;-) just a friendly joke

I'd prefer CTA LOL ;-) pink was not my colour. ;-)