Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ozflier
Topic Author

Northern Hemisphere summer 2022 season long haul schedule

Sun May 09, 2021 6:34 am

Apologies if this is in the correct thread.
I am trying to organise frequent flier award flights for march 2022 onwards - I hope then I will be able to travel from Australia .
No worries getting flights up to and including 26 march but no availability for many long haul carriers beyond that date - ? it is the start of the 2022 northern hemisphere summer season.
From memory , the northern summer season flights would normally be scheduled by this far ahead.
I'm guessing that the delay may be secondary to Covid19 uncertainties and may also be an individual thing for the various airlines eg Qantas has placeholder flights on many sectors beyond that date similarly for Qatar and some of the African airlines.
I am getting more optimistic that I will be able to travel to multiple overseas destinations by March next year and I am guessing that I need to book that far out because I can’t see Australians allowed to travel overseas until early 2022 at the earliest * unless you have money or are a Celebrity)
When we are open and long haul flying starts again, I fear award seats may be few and far between ( schedules may be thinner, aircraft smaller and maybe increased distancing still enforced forced on board) . This may be wrong but who knows what is going to happen or why the delay or is it something I have just imagined.
I did pose a question along these lines on Flyertalk, but I am no wiser from most of the answers.
Any thoughts re when flights for the 2022 northern summer schedule will be added or why the delay?

Re: Northern Hemisphere summer 2022 season long haul schedule

Sun May 09, 2021 6:44 am

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and just say what's been said since this whole thing started. Airlines are really only booking 1-3 months out at a time, if that. So 2022 is a loooong time away from now by that "standard". Too many changes happen too quickly for any certainty to be built into the schedules. Not sure my answer isn't something that you've been told but I hope it helps somewhat

Gemuser

Sun May 09, 2021 8:34 am

I would not be paying money that you can't get back for travel before 31 Dec 2022 to/from Australia. The Australian government will NOT say when they will reopen the boarders, just that they will not do so "until it is safe". There is a lot of speculation that it will not be before 31 Dec this year, but I would not bet my money on it.

Gemuser

MIflyer12

Sun May 09, 2021 10:14 am

ozflier wrote:
Apologies if this is in the correct thread.
I am trying to organise frequent flier award flights for march 2022 onwards

IIRC, AA, DL and UA all operate with a maximum ~331-day booking window.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-far- ... ok-flight/

Irrespective of COVID scheduling uncertainties you wouldn't be able to book beyond that, anyway.

I can't speak to booking timing practices of other prospective long-haul carriers.

If you book a ticket with origin or destination in the U.S. you will benefit from certain U.S. Dept. of Transportation consumer protections. If the operating carrier is changed (say, from United to a United Express carrier), if a non-stop is made direct, if a direct is changed into a connection, or if there is a significant change to arrival or departure times (yet the DOT doesn't specify significant), you will be eligible for a refund to original form of payment (or mileage refund).

I believe the summer schedule starts the first Sunday in June, actually.

ozflier
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2021 1:03 am

I am expecting the Australian government not to allow unvaccinated citizens out of the country until at least the end of january 2022 school holidays ( how's that for a guess?)
So that's why i am trying to plan flights march / april 2022 .
Most of that period is within 331 days ahead.
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the IATA winter 2022 season finishes 26 may 2022 - https://www.slots-austria.com/coordinat ... _timetable