Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PA727
Topic Author

Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Looks like we may be getting back to closer to normal. While masks are still mandatory on flights (as I understand it,) how much longer until that rule is relaxed as well?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ost-cases/

MaxTrimm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:13 pm

A while. With the global reach that aviation has, it’s going to take a global control on COVID before we start talking about masks optional in airplanes and airports.

PA727
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 pm

What concerns me more is the confusion - or in some cases feigned confusion - when it comes to airports and planes. I see another uptick in disruptions and arguments, at least right off the bat.

32andBelow

Thu May 13, 2021 8:24 pm

Cdc said they are looking all adjusting these rules too. So it could just be another couple weeks

Cubsrule

Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Cdc said they are looking all adjusting these rules too. So it could just be another couple weeks

Flying has lots of unvaccinated people and confined spaces. It seems likely that masks that will stick around as long on planes as they do on, e.g., public transit.

32andBelow

Thu May 13, 2021 8:28 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Flying has lots of unvaccinated people and confined spaces. It seems likely that masks that will stick around as long on planes as they do on, e.g., public transit.

The cdc said vaccinated people don’t spread it so keeping it makes ZERO sense

Cubsrule

Thu May 13, 2021 8:31 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

But some 40 percent of the population seems unlikely to be vaccinated in the near term. Sure, certain parts of that population skew toward demographics that are less likely to fly, but it's likely that every flight on a mainline narrowbody will have 10+ unvaccinated people. And for some city pairs (like anything involving MCO), the ratio will be much higher until kids can be vaccinated.

TWA772LR

Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

If that's true then hopefully they lift the COVID test for entering the US at least for vaccinated citizens. OT but no citizen should ever be denied/delayed entry for any circumstance to their home nation/nation of citizenship.

IrishAyes

yeah, it will require a combination of herd immunity + return to confidence with business travel before we see the mask mandates eliminated entirely on flights, at least within the U.S. we also have to remember that COVID-19 is still raging on in foreign countries, with India as the new epicenter. Until it's globally under control, masks shall remain on flights.

SWADawg

PA727 wrote:
Looks like we may be getting back to closer to normal. While masks are still mandatory on flights (as I understand it,) how much longer until that rule is relaxed as well?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ost-cases/

Mask mandate was recently extended until mid September, so, my uneducated guess is they will let the rule expire in mid September provided we don’t see a mass spike in infection among the US population in general.

Revelation

Thu May 13, 2021 8:39 pm

PA727 wrote:
What concerns me more is the confusion - or in some cases feigned confusion - when it comes to airports and planes. I see another uptick in disruptions and arguments, at least right off the bat.

Why confusion, real or manufactured? There are already different rules for air travel than other places, such as showing ID, walking through scanners, removing shoes and wallets and all other stuff, etc. These do not cause confusion, they are accepted as a part of the process. Just accept that you may need to be flexible and you will get to your destination. Be an a-hole and the airline could very well put you on the banned passenger list and you'll have a lot of problems getting places.

PA727
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2021 10:18 pm

Revelation wrote:
PA727 wrote:

Why confusion, real or manufactured? There are already different rules for air travel than other places, such as showing ID, walking through scanners, removing shoes and wallets and all other stuff, etc. These do not cause confusion, they are accepted as a part of the process. Just accept that you may need to be flexible and you will get to your destination. Be an a-hole and the airline could very well put you on the banned passenger list and you'll have a lot of problems getting places.

I agree, but my point is, it doesn't stop people from using it as an excuse. And those are usually the people who scream the loudest. My comment was purely concern over another rise in incidents, which I definitely expect.

Revelation

Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 pm

PA727 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
PA727 wrote:

I agree, but my point is, it doesn't stop people from using it as an excuse. And those are usually the people who scream the loudest. My comment was purely concern over another rise in incidents, which I definitely expect.

I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

In another context, I am watching the decision makers of a club I'm a member of considering if the CDC rules will change our policies. The thing to remember is as above, state and local law is still operative. Beyond that, following precedents of other similar organizations is the low risk path, rather than trying to be ahead of precedent. Like it or not the vaccine cards issued in the US are easily forged, so it makes little sense to rely on them for anything. In the end we may end up with an "honor system" as the only feasible way forward, at least one press outlet is suggesting this. Interestingly enough, at the end of the Civil War amnesty was granted to Southerners who took an oath of allegiance, i.e. an honor system. Seems our reality hasn't changed much since 1865.

LAXintl

Fri May 14, 2021 3:44 am

Airlines as other businesses will be able to decide what their mask policies will be long term.

I suspect (and would encourage) mask-wearing remain for the foreseeable future as its one measure that helps build confidence and a feeling of safety for travellers. A big part of getting industries back on their feet will be based on such consumer sentiment, be it travel, retails, restaurants etc.

Also local mask regulations can remain which will drive what business does also regardless of what CDC might come up with.

Cubsrule

Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Also local mask regulations can remain which will drive what business does also regardless of what CDC might come up with.

Correct, and it's not just government regulations that might affect businesses - it's rules from other, intersecting businesses as well. For instance, a big current driver of mask requirements for a lot of businesses who are coming back to the office is the requirements of their landlords. And it's easy to imagine situations where certain customers want different mask use than what we do in the office.

teachpdx

Sat May 15, 2021 1:32 am

I’m going to be masking on planes for quite awhile… well after the restrictions are lifted. There are other pathogens besides Covid on airplanes, and if wearing a mask for a few hours is going to keep me from getting sick in the middle of a trip, I’m all for it. There was basically no flu season this year… thanks to masking!