Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
PA727
Topic Author
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Looks like we may be getting back to closer to normal. While masks are still mandatory on flights (as I understand it,) how much longer until that rule is relaxed as well?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ost-cases/
 
MaxTrimm
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:13 pm

A while. With the global reach that aviation has, it’s going to take a global control on COVID before we start talking about masks optional in airplanes and airports.
 
User avatar
PA727
Topic Author
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:23 pm

What concerns me more is the confusion - or in some cases feigned confusion - when it comes to airports and planes. I see another uptick in disruptions and arguments, at least right off the bat.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5704
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:24 pm

Cdc said they are looking all adjusting these rules too. So it could just be another couple weeks
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15309
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Cdc said they are looking all adjusting these rules too. So it could just be another couple weeks


Flying has lots of unvaccinated people and confined spaces. It seems likely that masks that will stick around as long on planes as they do on, e.g., public transit.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5704
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:28 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Cdc said they are looking all adjusting these rules too. So it could just be another couple weeks


Flying has lots of unvaccinated people and confined spaces. It seems likely that masks that will stick around as long on planes as they do on, e.g., public transit.

The cdc said vaccinated people don’t spread it so keeping it makes ZERO sense
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15309
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:31 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Cdc said they are looking all adjusting these rules too. So it could just be another couple weeks


Flying has lots of unvaccinated people and confined spaces. It seems likely that masks that will stick around as long on planes as they do on, e.g., public transit.

The cdc said vaccinated people don’t spread it so keeping it makes ZERO sense


But some 40 percent of the population seems unlikely to be vaccinated in the near term. Sure, certain parts of that population skew toward demographics that are less likely to fly, but it's likely that every flight on a mainline narrowbody will have 10+ unvaccinated people. And for some city pairs (like anything involving MCO), the ratio will be much higher until kids can be vaccinated.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7708
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Cdc said they are looking all adjusting these rules too. So it could just be another couple weeks


Flying has lots of unvaccinated people and confined spaces. It seems likely that masks that will stick around as long on planes as they do on, e.g., public transit.

The cdc said vaccinated people don’t spread it so keeping it makes ZERO sense

If that's true then hopefully they lift the COVID test for entering the US at least for vaccinated citizens. OT but no citizen should ever be denied/delayed entry for any circumstance to their home nation/nation of citizenship.
 
User avatar
IrishAyes
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm

yeah, it will require a combination of herd immunity + return to confidence with business travel before we see the mask mandates eliminated entirely on flights, at least within the U.S. we also have to remember that COVID-19 is still raging on in foreign countries, with India as the new epicenter. Until it's globally under control, masks shall remain on flights.
 
SWADawg
Posts: 719
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm

PA727 wrote:
Looks like we may be getting back to closer to normal. While masks are still mandatory on flights (as I understand it,) how much longer until that rule is relaxed as well?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... ost-cases/

Mask mandate was recently extended until mid September, so, my uneducated guess is they will let the rule expire in mid September provided we don’t see a mass spike in infection among the US population in general.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 26744
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 8:39 pm

PA727 wrote:
What concerns me more is the confusion - or in some cases feigned confusion - when it comes to airports and planes. I see another uptick in disruptions and arguments, at least right off the bat.

Why confusion, real or manufactured? There are already different rules for air travel than other places, such as showing ID, walking through scanners, removing shoes and wallets and all other stuff, etc. These do not cause confusion, they are accepted as a part of the process. Just accept that you may need to be flexible and you will get to your destination. Be an a-hole and the airline could very well put you on the banned passenger list and you'll have a lot of problems getting places.
 
User avatar
PA727
Topic Author
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 10:18 pm

Revelation wrote:
PA727 wrote:
What concerns me more is the confusion - or in some cases feigned confusion - when it comes to airports and planes. I see another uptick in disruptions and arguments, at least right off the bat.

Why confusion, real or manufactured? There are already different rules for air travel than other places, such as showing ID, walking through scanners, removing shoes and wallets and all other stuff, etc. These do not cause confusion, they are accepted as a part of the process. Just accept that you may need to be flexible and you will get to your destination. Be an a-hole and the airline could very well put you on the banned passenger list and you'll have a lot of problems getting places.


I agree, but my point is, it doesn't stop people from using it as an excuse. And those are usually the people who scream the loudest. My comment was purely concern over another rise in incidents, which I definitely expect.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 26744
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Thu May 13, 2021 10:41 pm

PA727 wrote:
Revelation wrote:
PA727 wrote:
What concerns me more is the confusion - or in some cases feigned confusion - when it comes to airports and planes. I see another uptick in disruptions and arguments, at least right off the bat.

Why confusion, real or manufactured? There are already different rules for air travel than other places, such as showing ID, walking through scanners, removing shoes and wallets and all other stuff, etc. These do not cause confusion, they are accepted as a part of the process. Just accept that you may need to be flexible and you will get to your destination. Be an a-hole and the airline could very well put you on the banned passenger list and you'll have a lot of problems getting places.

I agree, but my point is, it doesn't stop people from using it as an excuse. And those are usually the people who scream the loudest. My comment was purely concern over another rise in incidents, which I definitely expect.

I agree. Thanks for the clarification.

In another context, I am watching the decision makers of a club I'm a member of considering if the CDC rules will change our policies. The thing to remember is as above, state and local law is still operative. Beyond that, following precedents of other similar organizations is the low risk path, rather than trying to be ahead of precedent. Like it or not the vaccine cards issued in the US are easily forged, so it makes little sense to rely on them for anything. In the end we may end up with an "honor system" as the only feasible way forward, at least one press outlet is suggesting this. Interestingly enough, at the end of the Civil War amnesty was granted to Southerners who took an oath of allegiance, i.e. an honor system. Seems our reality hasn't changed much since 1865.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 25563
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Fri May 14, 2021 3:44 am

Airlines as other businesses will be able to decide what their mask policies will be long term.

I suspect (and would encourage) mask-wearing remain for the foreseeable future as its one measure that helps build confidence and a feeling of safety for travellers. A big part of getting industries back on their feet will be based on such consumer sentiment, be it travel, retails, restaurants etc.

Also local mask regulations can remain which will drive what business does also regardless of what CDC might come up with.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 15309
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Fri May 14, 2021 2:57 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Also local mask regulations can remain which will drive what business does also regardless of what CDC might come up with.


Correct, and it's not just government regulations that might affect businesses - it's rules from other, intersecting businesses as well. For instance, a big current driver of mask requirements for a lot of businesses who are coming back to the office is the requirements of their landlords. And it's easy to imagine situations where certain customers want different mask use than what we do in the office.
 
teachpdx
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:51 am

Re: Mask relaxation - Still required on planes

Sat May 15, 2021 1:32 am

I’m going to be masking on planes for quite awhile… well after the restrictions are lifted. There are other pathogens besides Covid on airplanes, and if wearing a mask for a few hours is going to keep me from getting sick in the middle of a trip, I’m all for it. There was basically no flu season this year… thanks to masking!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DENGLEI and 19 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos