Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PHLspecial
Topic Author

Do you take off your shoes when flying?

Fri May 21, 2021 2:49 pm

Is it good or bad manners?

BWIAirport

Re: Do you take off your shoes when flying?

Fri May 21, 2021 2:58 pm

For a short-medium haul flight, absolutely not. I always fly with closed-toed shoes as well, even in nice weather. Just imagine a cabin of 150 people taking their shoes off.

If you're in a seat that becomes a bed, sure. But as a general practice, my shoes stay on.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B38M B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

IAHFLYR

Fri May 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Shoes on period. On our longest flights 11+ hours, shoes stay on regardless if I lie the entire seat flat in Biz or stay awake the entire time......shoes ON.

Then there are those who walk the aisle with bare feet and go to the lav in their bare feet, just plain SICK.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

T18

Fri May 21, 2021 3:35 pm

Folks who fly with out shoes or while wearing less than sturdy footwear (Flip-flops for example) are imo asking for a bad time. As a matter of safety I make sure I have sturdy shoes that I will be useful in an emergency evacuation.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

davidjohnson6

Fri May 21, 2021 5:04 pm

I don't wear shoes when walking around my home...

Once an aircraft has climbed to above maybe 5,000 ft, I intend to take my shoes off while keeping the socks on, until the cabin crew come round mid-descent telling me to put my seat in the upright position. Cabin crew regularly exhort pax on the PA to "sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" - I intend to follow those instructions
The days of everyone dressing up to fly stopped over 30 years ago

While seated at 35,000 feet, shoes are not terribly useful, and there will be plenty of time to put them on again prior to landing. If there is a major explosive decompression at 35,000 feet, I will have bigger worries than the possible loss of shoes

Yes, I am going to wear shoes if I need to visit the toilet as well

PHLspecial
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 5:50 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
Shoes on period. On our longest flights 11+ hours, shoes stay on regardless if I lie the entire seat flat in Biz or stay awake the entire time......shoes ON.

Then there are those who walk the aisle with bare feet and go to the lav in their bare feet, just plain SICK.

I'm impressed you can sleep with shoes on. The second part, I have yet to witness anyone do that.

PHLspecial
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 5:52 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
For a short-medium haul flight, absolutely not. I always fly with closed-toed shoes as well, even in nice weather. Just imagine a cabin of 150 people taking their shoes off.

If you're in a seat that becomes a bed, sure. But as a general practice, my shoes stay on.

I guess that makes sense, usually whenever I fly its longer than 3 hours. So my shoes are coming off. I think it gets way to uncomfortable after a while.

PHLspecial
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 5:56 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I don't wear shoes when walking around my home...

Once an aircraft has climbed to above maybe 5,000 ft, I intend to take my shoes off while keeping the socks on, until the cabin crew come round mid-descent telling me to put my seat in the upright position. Cabin crew regularly exhort pax on the PA to "sit back, relax and enjoy the flight" - I intend to follow those instructions
The days of everyone dressing up to fly stopped over 30 years ago

While seated at 35,000 feet, shoes are not terribly useful, and there will be plenty of time to put them on again prior to landing. If there is a major explosive decompression at 35,000 feet, I will have bigger worries than the possible loss of shoes

Yes, I am going to wear shoes if I need to visit the toilet as well

I don't see the problem with that. That's exactly what I do.

VSMUT

Fri May 21, 2021 7:33 pm

Depends. In Economy class there is barely space to untie your shoes. Short flights is doesn't make sense either. Business class is a different case, especially if the flight is more than a couple of hours. People who suffer from podophobia should seek out treatment from a psychologist. There's nothing wrong with visible feet.

ACDC8

Fri May 21, 2021 8:43 pm

Yup.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

DocLightning

Fri May 21, 2021 9:24 pm

On longer flights, once we're about 30 seconds off the ground, then I very well might (not until then, in case there is an emergency evac). If I'm flying in J, they often hand out socks with anti-skid strips. Once we get the seatbelt sign back on and get told to put seatbacks up, then shoes are back on.

On shorter flights, usually not.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

scottyraven

Fri May 21, 2021 11:30 pm

i always wear a comfortable pair of slip on addidas shoes, always with socks. shoes come off immediately at cruise, socks stay on. i love the slip on style for ease during security and putting them back on for a trip to the lavatory.

Elkadad313

Sat May 22, 2021 1:31 am

PHLspecial wrote:
The second part, I have yet to witness anyone do that. (go to the toilet barefooted)

I see that 2/3X year.

Max Q

Sat May 22, 2021 3:17 am

Always take them off once airborne ( they stay on till then in case of an evacuation ) leaving socks on of course, much more comfortable

And back on when going to the toilet

One thing, they go back on before landing but your feet swell in flight so they require much ‘pre-loosening’ !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Kent350787

Sat May 22, 2021 4:10 am

Over 5 hours, shoes off. There are excellent reasons why most airlines provide socks or sandals on medium and longer haul flights (or at least the airlines I fly on) and many biz seats have shoe storage.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

zrs70

Sat May 22, 2021 4:52 am

I've flown a gazillion miles.

I've never gotten sick by not wearing my shoes. Never. Not once. If I step in goo or pee or vomit ... whatever.... never gotten sick.

Why? Because I wash my socks.

Do you all wash your shoes after you fly? You step in the same stuff. Chances are your shoes are dirtier than the socks I just washed.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

a320fan

Sat May 22, 2021 8:17 am

On medium/long haul flights say over 4/5 hours absolutely going to take them off. It gets way too uncomfortable, and a modern Y seat is restrictive enough im going to seek that slight sense of extra freedom. I’ll always put them on if I have to leave my seat or go to the lav, mostly because I don’t want to feel my socks absorb any fluids, whatever it may be.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

PITingres

Sat May 22, 2021 12:10 pm

Shoes on for takeoff and landing, off the rest of the time unless it's a short flight. I don't have enough hours left on earth to be bothered with hot, uncomfortable feet. I almost always wear some sort of slip-in shoe so that I can stick them on if I need to move around.

If I were to use the toilet without shoes, it would definitely be in bare feet. Feet are a lot easier to wash / wipe off and dry than socks are. I go barefoot at home all the time, indoors and out.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

IAHFLYR

Sat May 22, 2021 1:09 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
I'm impressed you can sleep with shoes on. The second part, I have yet to witness anyone do that.

Not even an issue as Sketchers are so comfortable it's like not having them on and I also am a barefoot person around the house.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

conaly

Sat May 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Depends on the length of the flight. On short to medium haul routes I usually keep them on. For long haul, I take them off once the fasten seatbelt sign goes off and only put them on again when I need to walk to the restroom or when we are approaching the destination. Never had any problem with that.
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH

Gr8Circle

Sat May 22, 2021 5:53 pm

PHLspecial wrote:

Its definitely bad manners when passengers put up their bare feet such that they are visible to others or come close to the face of the passenger immediately in front....if you keep your feet out if sight/socks on, nothing bad about it....you are entitled to whatever makes you comfortable while seated....

n729pa

Sat May 22, 2021 9:05 pm

Personally never take my shoes off even when I do a 22 hour flight to Australia. I never wear tight shoes but comfortable ones with those funny pressure socks. Your feet can swell a bit sat on your ass for that amount of time and in Y trying to get a pair of shoes back on etc oukd be tricky but never had a problem keeping shoes on.

aklrno

Sat May 22, 2021 11:49 pm

I don't wear my shoes in bed at home, and I don't wear them in my airplane bed. I'm almost always in business class long-haul. I do wear shoes walking around either on or off a plane. The only time I walk around without shoes is when I am on a carpet I know to be clean (my own or a friend's.). When flying in a conventional seat I make sure I am wearing shoes I can be comfortable in for hours, these days Allbirds which are well ventilated so my feet stay cool (used to be Skechers.) On long haul when I'm going to be in a bed, I may wear leather slip-ons so I can get them on easily when I am out of my bed.

Max Q

Sun May 23, 2021 8:32 am

zrs70 wrote:

I've never gotten sick by not wearing my shoes. Never. Not once. If I step in goo or pee or vomit ... whatever.... never gotten sick.

Do you all wash your shoes after you fly? You step in the same stuff. Chances are your shoes are dirtier than the socks I just washed.

If I understand you correctly, you don’t mind standing in whatever’s on the toilet floor in your socks because you can wash your socks later on ?

Walking back to your seat and wearing these disgusting socks for the rest of the flight and until you get home doesn’t bother you ? !

Shoes , unlike socks which are porous provide an insulative and waterproof layer between their soles and your feet, even if you’re not wearing socks, that’s kind of the whole idea !

And yes, shoes get dirty, that’s why I leave them at the doorstep !

GGg

eurotrader85

Sun May 23, 2021 8:46 am

Interesting debate! Weirdly I realise what I do depends what cabin I am in. Econ, yeah I keep them on - I mean who knows what riff raff I might have to inadvertently walk past, unintentionally interact with :lol: . Biz, I take them off (maybe I wear the slippers), and that includes going to the lavatory. Maybe subconsciously, as I am watching a movie in a flat bed and need to use the facilities, I just feel a toilet and cabin in biz, which has a lot less people going through it, and cleaned more often is less disgusting. God that sounds pretentious :lol: :covereyes:

debonair

Sun May 23, 2021 11:24 am

PHLspecial wrote:

It is more a question of health and well-being actually. On longer flights, foot tends to swell heavily, especially during sitting upright as blood and body fluids rush to the lowest part of the body. So it is recommended to wear on longer flights wider, open shoes or at least to unlock the laces. However, flip flops are not recommended at all, as in an evacuation or emergency situation, this foot wearing gives not enough support (if you need to run or climbing over debris).

Max Q

Sun May 23, 2021 10:25 pm

debonair wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

It is more a question of health and well-being actually. On longer flights, foot tends to swell heavily, especially during sitting upright as blood and body fluids rush to the lowest part of the body. So it is recommended to wear on longer flights wider, open shoes or at least to unlock the laces. However, flip flops are not recommended at all, as in an evacuation or emergency situation, this foot wearing gives not enough support (if you need to run or climbing over debris).

Yes,

It’s very important to have your shoes on for take off and landing (should be part of the safety announcements) you never know when you might have to evacuate onto scorching hot / freezing cold concrete with numerous hazardous objects around that won’t agree with your feet

GGg

PHLspecial
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2021 2:32 pm

Gr8Circle wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Its definitely bad manners when passengers put up their bare feet such that they are visible to others or come close to the face of the passenger immediately in front....if you keep your feet out if sight/socks on, nothing bad about it....you are entitled to whatever makes you comfortable while seated....

Yeah, usually once in the climb phase shoes off, unless for bathroom, descent phase shoes back on. It would strange to have bare feet but might swap socks or something to keep it fresh.

PHLspecial
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2021 2:34 pm

zrs70 wrote:

I do not follow this at all. So you happen to never be sick because you wash socks. Strange. But I'm for taking off shoes while in flight.

Boeing757100

Mon May 24, 2021 3:34 pm

Never.

I honestly don't understand how people feel comfortable taking off their shoes in flight and expose their feet (socked or bare) to the germ filled atmosphere of the cabin. Not to mention, the soles of the feet are the most germ exposed area on the external body, right behind the palms of the hands. I get that you need your feet to relax to improve blood circulation but exposing them to the atmosphere of the cabin could do more harm than good if you ask me.
Going to ATL airport in 2019 is like being in 2013
Going to ATL airport in 2010 is like being in 2000
Going to ATL airport in 1998 is like being in 1988
Going to ATL airport in 2035 is like watching paint dry

Max Q

Mon May 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Never.

I honestly don't understand how people feel comfortable taking off their shoes in flight and expose their feet (socked or bare) to the germ filled atmosphere of the cabin. Not to mention, the soles of the feet are the most germ exposed area on the external body, right behind the palms of the hands. I get that you need your feet to relax to improve blood circulation but exposing them to the atmosphere of the cabin could do more harm than good if you ask me.

Seems a bit extreme

If you go by that logic the only safe option is to travel in a biohazard suit !

GGg

fbgdavidson

Tue May 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Of flights up to 2hrs I'll leave shoes on. More than that and I might remove them. Anything of say US transcon length or longer and they're coming off. Outside of my seat area I'll always put my shoes back on or wear provided slippers.

If I find myself in economy I won't take my shoes off. Not so practical to remove. put on or even store them...
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Q

Wed May 26, 2021 12:48 am

Yes, long haul trip I do that many times it makes blood circulation for your body better than you may get a blood clot and die on the seat.

Q

afterburner33

Wed May 26, 2021 6:41 am

On long haul flights - yes. On short haul flights - no.

EricAY05

Fri May 28, 2021 7:52 am

I didn't see anyone mention this obvious manner. I shower before most flights and always wear a pair of fresh socks. There, problem of stinking feet solved. Long layovers? Shower in the lounge or simply change socks. I don't see any reason to keep the shoes on in cruise, no matter if you fly F/J or Y. So much healthier this way, as many of you have pointed out.

bonter

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 am

Long flight - definitely, for the sake of your circulation.

Yflyer

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:15 pm

It depends on how long the flight is, but generally yes, I take them off on longish flights. I will however slip them back on to go to the lavatory, but usually wont bother tying them since I'm just going to take them back off when I get back to my seat.

Boeing757100 wrote:
Not to mention, the soles of the feet are the most germ exposed area on the external body, right behind the palms of the hands. I get that you need your feet to relax to improve blood circulation but exposing them to the atmosphere of the cabin could do more harm than good if you ask me.

That doesn't really make sense. While your feet might be exposed to germs, unless you have an open wound on the bottom of your foot they don't provide a path for germs to enter your body. Because unlike our hands, we don't really touch our faces and other possible entry points with our feet. So your feet being exposed to germs isn't likely to make you sick.

SkyVoice

Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:12 am

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the scene in the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (Paramount, 1987) where Del Griffith, played by the late John Candy, takes his shoes & socks off, then twirls his socks around in the crammed-full economy cabin of a pre-Thanksgiving Day flight, while exclaiming that "the old dogs are barking tonight!" (Or, something to that effect.)

Have I taken MY shoes off during a flight? Yes, I have, but then I am from Kentucky!
Addicted to opiate painkillers for 25 years. Sober since 3 April, 2012 ! ! !