Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Credit card left in check machine at FLL

Fri May 28, 2021 2:22 am

This week I flew on AA from Fort Lauderdale to Philadelphia and I mistakenly left my CC in the check in machine at FLL which I didn't discover until I arrived in PHL. Fortunately an AA employee found the card and had it cancelled right away.

I am curious as to why the check in machine did not make a beeping noise when my transaction was completed indicating that the card was still in the machine. Do check in machines for other airlines have this feature? Lesson learned going forward is that I am going to use my driver's license to check in.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Credit card left in check machine at FLL

Fri May 28, 2021 3:25 am

Might not recommend that if renting a car is planned.

tommy1808

Fri May 28, 2021 6:08 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
I am curious as to why the check in machine did not make a beeping noise when my transaction was completed indicating that the card was still in the machine. Do check in machines for other airlines have this feature? Lesson learned going forward is that I am going to use my driver's license to check in.

i never understood any machine using that order of events elsewhere. Here the card always comes out before you get what you put it in for ... ATMs only disburse money after the card is taken out, CKIM print the boarding pass after you took your card out.....

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

AirKevin

Fri May 28, 2021 11:53 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

If renting a car is planned, you're screwed no matter what. You obviously need your driver's license, but if they ask for your credit card and you left it in the check-in machine, you're equally screwed, short of going out to pay in cash.
Captain Kevin

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 28, 2021 12:31 pm

Can’t have two driver’s licenses and most rental car companies have your filed credit card info.

IAHFLYR

Fri May 28, 2021 1:00 pm

Or you might check-in other ways such as:

1. Online and print your boarding pass
2. Mobile app
3. Use your confirmation number and type that into the kiosk
4. Use your frequent flyer number and type that into the kiosk, even if you don't fly a particular airline often still get a FF account with them as it only takes a few minutes and all info is stored

I can't ever remember inserting a CC or DL into any kiosk at an airport though I'm sure at one time I have done it.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

AirKevin

Fri May 28, 2021 2:16 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Can’t have two driver’s licenses and most rental car companies have your filed credit card info.

I know you can't have two driver's licenses, that's why you'd be screwed if you left it in the check-in machine. As for the credit card, the rental car company might have it on file, but that didn't stop them from asking for it again the last few times I rented a car. In which case you'd still be screwed if you left it in the check-in machine.
Captain Kevin

FriscoHeavy

Fri May 28, 2021 3:25 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I have two (2) valid driver's licenses. I carry one in each wallet I have. It acts as a back up in case I lose one. Same license, same number, etc, just an 'additional copy'.
Whatever

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 pm

AirKevin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

If renting a car is planned, you're screwed no matter what. You obviously need your driver's license, but if they ask for your credit card and you left it in the check-in machine, you're equally screwed, short of going out to pay in cash.

In this case my wife was with me so we switched the reservation to her name and credit card. I could have used my debit card if I was by myself as I had enough in the account cover the deposit.

I figure if I use my driver's license and leave it in the kiosk I would realize that I left it behind when I went through security. Also I carry a backup driver's license in my handbag.

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2021 9:11 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I have two (2) valid driver's licenses. I carry one in each wallet I have. It acts as a back up in case I lose one. Same license, same number, etc, just an 'additional copy'.

I carry my backup driver's license in my carry on handbag along with my debit card in case I lose my wallet.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 28, 2021 9:13 pm

AirKevin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I know you can't have two driver's licenses, that's why you'd be screwed if you left it in the check-in machine. As for the credit card, the rental car company might have it on file, but that didn't stop them from asking for it again the last few times I rented a car. In which case you'd still be screwed if you left it in the check-in machine.

But you can have two credit cards! Never heard of duplicate drivers license, I’ll look into it.

TWA772LR

Sat May 29, 2021 2:31 am

People leave them in there all the time. They are given to a supervisor by the CSA who finds them and they are somehow returned to the owner or destroyed.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

alasizon

Sat May 29, 2021 4:04 am

The kiosks with the circular credit card reader on the bottom right hand side (I want to say it has blue plastic around it - been a while since I've seen one), are really two separate units, the kiosk is one piece and the credit card reader is just a secondary attachment that is called upon for communication when needed. When not needed, the kiosk doesn't care at all what is in that slot. The speakers and everything else are part of the actual kiosk computer itself so once the transaction is completed it shuts off the credit card reader (for PCI compliance) and doesn't attempt to use it again until the next required transaction.

The only kiosks with the integrated credit card reader (gray/black vertical sliding reader on the right hand side) I believe are all past security which AA has subsequently shut off due to lack of use and will be at some point removing them to be reused elsewhere.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

AirKevin

Sat May 29, 2021 5:37 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

But you can have two credit cards! Never heard of duplicate drivers license, I’ll look into it.

You can have two credit cards, I just don't know if everybody does or not.
Captain Kevin

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Mon May 31, 2021 12:15 am

TWA772LR wrote:
People leave them in there all the time. They are given to a supervisor by the CSA who finds them and they are somehow returned to the owner or destroyed.

What happened is that AA destroyed my card and notified Citicards right since my CC was/is a Citicard/AA card.