Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

US citizens traveling to UK ?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:49 am

Looking at the latest restrictions for US citizens it appears we’re on the ‘Amber list’ which mandates among other things a 10 day quarantine after arrival

Does this mean you cannot make a shorter visit ?
Anyone travelled there lately with personal experience of the current situation?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

LAX772LR

Re: US citizens traveling to UK ?

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:53 am

Max Q wrote:
Looking at the latest restrictions for US citizens it appears we’re on the ‘Amber list’ which mandates among other things a 10 day quarantine after arrival

AS OF LAST WEEK:
"Reuters reported that the Biden administration, whilst it has been in talks for a month with governments and industry professionals over when it might be able to relax international travel restrictions, said it didn’t have any plans to announce any changes soon. There had been hope that President Biden would revoke the current ban on entry for EU and U.K. nationals for non-essential travel by mid-May. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom ... 9c75564645

AS OF LAST FRIDAY:
https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52544307
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LAX772LR

Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:56 am

I'm booked on MSY-LHR-CAI, with an extended stay scheduled in LON, for September.... so definitely watching it alongside you, and hoping things are opened up by then.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:00 am

Here’s what the NY Times had reported the other day for UK visitors. Looks like a short visit begins after 10 days of quarantine and testing.

The United States and most European countries are currently on England’s amber list, which requires travelers to show proof of a negative virus test taken 72 hours before departure and then self-isolate at home or at a suitable hotel for 10 days after arriving in the United Kingdom.

On day two and day eight of quarantining, travelers must take PCR tests, which cost about $300 and must be purchased in advance from British authorities. Those who want to be released from self-isolation early can take an additional test through a private provider on Day 5, at a cost of about $200, but they still must take the final test on Day 8. (The cost of tests may vary when entering Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.)

Visitors from countries on England’s green list — there are currently 12, including Portugal, Australia and New Zealand — are exempt from quarantine but are required to take a PCR test before departure and two days after arrival.

avi8

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:22 am

I’m still amazed at the amount of restrictions. It looks like the airline industry is only recovering in the US and Australia.
avi8

Tristar787

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 am

I flew RIC-ATL-LHR last week. You definitely have to quarantine at a residence or hotel unless you have some sort of exemption. As noted, you can pay additionally to ‘Test and Release’ on day 5 to end your quarantine earlier. You can make a shorter trip, say for 4 days, but you would just be in quarantine the entire time. With that said, my flight had the highest load factor I’ve seen since March of last year and I’ve had to make the trip regularly.
Last edited by Tristar787 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lilj4425

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:26 am

LAX772LR wrote:
I'm booked on MSY-LHR-CAI, with an extended stay scheduled in LON, for September.... so definitely watching it alongside you, and hoping things are opened up by then.

I’m booked to fly to London from Raleigh in late November. Hopefully the restrictions are lifted by then. If not, this will be the second time I have had to cancel my trip to London due to Covid.

pbody

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:59 am

Max Q wrote:

Anyone travelled there lately with personal experience of the current situation?

I have traveled to the U.K. from NYC during the pandemic. You can stay for shorter visits with two options.
1) Pay for the day 5 Test to Release to leave quarantine on Day 5 (which is your 6th day as you arrive on Day 0)
2) spend your entire stay in quarantine

Max Q
Topic Author

Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 am

Is there a minimum length stay then ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

VSMUT

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:09 am

Max Q wrote:
Is there a minimum length stay then ?

You can always leave the country again. But you will be spending your entire visit in quarantine. 5 days quarantine means 5 days before you can do anything in the country, other than leaving...

avi8 wrote:
I’m still amazed at the amount of restrictions. It looks like the airline industry is only recovering in the US and Australia.

As a pilot who still has a job and gets to fly regularly, I feel that restrictions have been increasing, not decreasing, over the past couple of months. Never in this crisis have I been locked up like a leper as much as the past 3 months.