Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLYKTPA
Topic Author

Potential Next US Destinations For Avianca?

Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:06 am

Let’s talk about what’s next for AV. Overall, but I was thinking more specifically from the BOG hub.

Here’s fairly recent quotes about the carriers growth plans as they plan to exit bankruptcy late this year:

“Colombia’s largest carrier is expanding with 50 direct routes between secondary cities in coming years, said CEO Anko van der Werff in an interview” - Bloomberg

“Avianca is targeting smaller markets, such as Colombia’s second-largest city, Medellin”

“We’re certainly not giving up any position in either San Salvador or Bogota, in fact we’re going to try to grow that as well,” he said. - Bloomberg

Recent route additions from Avianca include:

SAL-ONT
CLO-MCO
Applied for MIA-CUC and MCO-MDE.

Going forward in regard to developing the BOG hub, what new US destinations are we thinking of as viable?

Looking into more successful Copa markets?

Tampa, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Denver, San Francisco etc?

Trying Chicago and Boston again?

rjbesikof

Re: Potential Next US Destinations For Avianca?

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:08 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
Let’s talk about what’s next for AV. Overall, but I was thinking more specifically from the BOG hub.

Here’s fairly recent quotes about the carriers growth plans as they plan to exit bankruptcy late this year:

“Colombia’s largest carrier is expanding with 50 direct routes between secondary cities in coming years, said CEO Anko van der Werff in an interview” - Bloomberg

“Avianca is targeting smaller markets, such as Colombia’s second-largest city, Medellin”

“We’re certainly not giving up any position in either San Salvador or Bogota, in fact we’re going to try to grow that as well,” he said. - Bloomberg

SAL-ONT
CLO-MCO

Going forward in regard to developing the BOG hub, what new US destinations are we thinking of as viable?

If UA is able to push through with the idea of a JV with CM/AV, I could see DEN added.

FLYKTPA
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:14 am

rjbesikof wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

SAL-ONT
CLO-MCO

If UA is able to push through with the idea of a JV with CM/AV, I could see DEN added.

4x weekly on an 320 seems like an easy way to start.

AVENSAB727

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:39 am

Houston?

LAXintl

Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:26 am

Anko is no longer the CEO - he went to SAS >> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1459615

Avianca's new CEO is now Adrian Neuhauser, who only this week said the airline fleet would shrink as part of its Ch.11 restructuring with the airline.

Not sure one should expect much growth in the immediate future from AV. They should first focus on finances, before going off and taking risk with new markets.

https://www.elespectador.com/economia/a ... -negocios/

alohashirts

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:45 pm

I am going to guess either LAS or SLC As their next U.S. destination.

Wednesdayite

Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:28 pm

I’d have to imagine Houston before Denver. But I’d love to be surprised.

Cubsrule

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:24 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:

SAL-ONT
CLO-MCO

What’s the effective range of a 319 ex-BOG? There’s plenty of runway but I imagine there might be some tire speed issues toward the edge of the range envelope because of the elevation.

FLYKTPA
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:57 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Anko is no longer the CEO - he went to SAS >> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1459615

Avianca's new CEO is now Adrian Neuhauser, who only this week said the airline fleet would shrink as part of its Ch.11 restructuring with the airline.

Not sure one should expect much growth in the immediate future from AV. They should first focus on finances, before going off and taking risk with new markets.

https://www.elespectador.com/economia/a ... -negocios/

Looks like they will be taking on some ex-Interjet A320s

https://mexico-now.com/avianca-to-lease ... -aircraft/

And I did notice the new CEO, although it appears the previous CEO’s plans of adding more point to point and leisure markets still stands. Example is AV adding CLO-MCO, applying for MDE-MCO, MIA-CUC etc etc. All fairly recent moves.

FLYKTPA
Topic Author

Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:00 pm

alohashirts wrote:
I am going to guess either LAS or SLC As their next U.S. destination.

LAS is a massive tourist destination and has seen success from Copa and LATAM so that example is self explanatory, but SLC?

What market would AV be catering to there? SLC currently only has limited service to Mexico outside the destinations popular with American tourists. Is there some Latin/South American population in Salt Lake I’m unaware of? Just trying it rationalize AV potentially adding it.

TA560

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:51 am

AV already flies to San Francisco via their San Salvador (SAL) hub ;)

FLYKTPA
Topic Author

Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:13 pm

TA560 wrote:
AV already flies to San Francisco via their San Salvador (SAL) hub ;)

Right :)

I was thinking of BOG expansion. SFO-BOG to complement LAX seems like the next step on the west coast for them.