Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pulltmp
Topic Author

SAS A340 back on schedule?

Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:00 am

When I tried to book a flight from Oslo (ARN) to Newark (EWR) on SAS, I noticed that the A340-300 was the aircraft scheduled to fly the route. I thought that SAS retired the A340 last December. Or is this an error?

Here is the link to the SAS website:
https://www.flysas.com/en/book/flights/ ... asis=ESEOW

Is SAS bringing back the 340?

RoyalBrunei757

Re: SAS A340 back on schedule?

Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 am

pulltmp wrote:
When I tried to book a flight from Oslo (ARN) to Newark (EWR) on SAS, I noticed that the A340-300 was the aircraft scheduled to fly the route. I thought that SAS retired the A340 last December. Or is this an error?

Here is the link to the SAS website:
https://www.flysas.com/en/book/flights/ ... asis=ESEOW

Is SAS bringing back the 340?

Should be system error, SAS has retired their last A340 OY-KBM last 1st December 2020 and there is no plan to bring them back. Most of their A343 fleet have been scrapped as we speak except OY-KBM which was spotted still in one piece a month ago at MZJ. https://centreforaviation.com/news/sast ... 20-1038817

debonair

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 am

pulltmp wrote:

Makes no sense at all, OSLO would be OSL and not ARN... :scratchchin: Anyway, I searched for NON-STOP flights from Stockholm and couldn't find any availability to proceed with the booking.

VSMUT

Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:21 pm

System error. Looks like it is also blocked from booking. AFAIK, the chaotic corona-cancellations and sudden aircraft retirements mean that many airlines still have retired aircraft and closed routes drifting about in their schedules. Many flights are also liable to be downgraded or upgraded at short notice, so be careful with booking flights to fly on specific types.

hannah9898

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:16 pm

VSMUT wrote:
System error. Looks like it is also blocked from booking. AFAIK, the chaotic corona-cancellations and sudden aircraft retirements mean that many airlines still have retired aircraft and closed routes drifting about in their schedules. Many flights are also liable to be downgraded or upgraded at short notice, so be careful with booking flights to fly on specific types.

Yup. I think their A340 ain't coming back. Probably A350 is operating on this route.

VSMUT

Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:27 pm

hannah9898 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Yup. I think their A340 ain't coming back. Probably A350 is operating on this route.

No need to think. They have, except maybe OY-KBM, already been dismantled so much that they aren't going to make a return. If SAS needs short-term uplift over the currently unemployed A330-300 and A350-900 fleet, it will be cheaper to source some NTU A350s or recently retired A330-300s. There are a few of the former and a lot of the latter.

debonair

Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:30 pm

hannah9898 wrote:

In my opinion, it would be the perfect job for SE-DMO: