Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts
Topic Author

Any possibility of AA, DL, or UA adding service to DXB?

Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:46 pm

While AA, DL, or UA don't currently serve DXB, there are some airlines in Europe, East Asia, Southeast Asia, India, and Canada that do serve DXB such as SU, AC, CA, AF, AI, BA, CX, MU, CZ, AY, KL, KE, LO, LH, SQ, CX, and TG.

The lack of UA service to DXB isn't as huge of a hole with AC having nonstop service to YYZ from some non-UA hub airports in the U.S. and with AC offering connections onto its YYZ-DXB nonstop flights from the U.S.

AA and DL would be offering connections to DXB from many U.S. markets that don't have nonstop service to Europe or the Middle East if either one of these airlines adds service to DXB.

Both AA and DL also some have FF's in the U.S. who would avoid UA, AC, EK, or EY whenever possible.

AA and DL also could serve DXB nonstop from hubs that don't currently have any nonstop service to DXB such as ATL, DTW, or PHL.

The U.S. is a much bigger market by population than South Korea/Japan/Hawaii combined or UK/Ireland combined.

AA or DL might possibly be able to make nonstop service to DXB work from an Eastern U.S. hub if KE, BA, AF, and KL are able to make nonstop service to DXB work from their main hubs.

Is AA, DL, or UA likely to add nonstop service to DXB from the U.S. anytime soon?

PatrickZ80

Re: Any possibility of AA, DL, or UA adding service to DXB?

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:15 am

I don't think so, it's a relatively small market as a destination and Emirates is undercutting them. American, Delta and United all got partner airlines in Europe who can provide a one-stop connection to Dubai if necessary.

FriscoHeavy

Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm

While I doubt it, I'd sure like to be proven wrong. I'd really like to see 1 or 2 of the US3 fly nonstop to DXB (and Doha/Abu Dhabi for that matter).

phatfarmlines

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:00 pm

jplatts wrote:

The lack of UA service to DXB isn't as huge of a hole with AC having nonstop service to YYZ from some non-UA hub airports in the U.S. and with AC offering connections onto its YYZ-DXB nonstop flights from the U.S.

DXB likely works for AC as it is seen as a "sun" destination for winter-weary Canadians. Also, given the large South Asian population in the Toronto metro area and many living in DXB, that helps to support the market.

Otherwise, EK has the US-DXB market on lock. DL & UA can't compete to DXB alone - they both need beyond connections to make it work and their anti-EK policies (eliminating interline, etc.) make the latter difficult.

PI4EVR

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:28 pm

DL previously served DXB but suspended service in 2016 due to the ME3 carriers being considered as having an unfair competitive advantage.
Ed Bastian subsequently stated they would like to resume service from ATL again at some point, but unlikely until the entire international travel situation improves due to current pandemic restrictions impacting travel into 2022.
As others have commented, unlikely for AA or UA to consider with their partner carriers serving DXB, and it's not considered a strong market for US travelers to consider for a vacation spot due to distance and costs.

MaxTrimm

Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:50 am

I don’t think so. EK has the money pit of government funding, and thus will be able to always undercut any fares an American carrier puts on sale.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:03 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
jplatts wrote:

DXB likely works for AC as it is seen as a "sun" destination for winter-weary Canadians. Also, given the large South Asian population in the Toronto metro area and many living in DXB, that helps to support the market.

Otherwise, EK has the US-DXB market on lock. DL & UA can't compete to DXB alone - they both need beyond connections to make it work and their anti-EK policies (eliminating interline, etc.) make the latter difficult.

As a Canadian, DXB is dead last on our thoughts as a sun destination lol. I know of no one who thinks of Dubai when they want to go away to a warm place, Mexico, Florida, Hawaii, the Caribbean crosses our minds first. Having said that, it's not out of the realm of possibility. It's a flight that is loaded with connections and business travel

FriscoHeavy

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:28 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
I don’t think so. EK has the money pit of government funding, and thus will be able to always undercut any fares an American carrier puts on sale.

Except that isn’t how it works. You are spreading a complete falsehood and fabrication.

MaxTrimm

Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:18 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

Except that isn’t how it works. You are spreading a complete falsehood and fabrication.

Why don’t you tell us all how it works then, instead of just using snark?

eta unknown

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:33 am

This explains why UA pulled out- the govt. contract went to JetBlue (EK):
https://www.globaltravelerusa.com/claim ... bai-route/

davidjohnson6

Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:15 am

The UAE Govt might never give a single dirham to Emirates... but everyone knows the UAE Govt can and will bail out EK if necessary. Knowledge that such backing both credibly exists and is available for use will deter any airline seeking a fight

In a similiar way, if a country does a test detonation of a nuclear bomb and proves it has others available in reserve, other countries become more nervous of having a war

FriscoHeavy

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:25 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

Why don’t you tell us all how it works then, instead of just using snark?

I didn't snark, sir. I was simply stating that EK is not given a bottomless pit of money by the EK government. That's a false misconception on here, just as it is with QR.

AntonioMartin

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 pm

jplatts wrote:

The U.S. is a much bigger market by population than Hawaii

Sorry, but, Hawaii is in the US market...

AntonioMartin

Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm

777luver wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
jplatts wrote:

As a Canadian, DXB is dead last on our thoughts as a sun destination lol. I know of no one who thinks of Dubai when they want to go away to a warm place, Mexico, Florida, Hawaii, the Caribbean crosses our minds first. Having said that, it's not out of the realm of possibility. It's a flight that is loaded with connections and business travel

And some tourism...Im sure some Canadians want to explore all the weird but interesting looking buildings in the area...