Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ddaly241
Topic Author

EWR UA future

Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:43 pm

As there’s about to be growth for AA at JFK, I was wondering what UA’s future will be at EWR after Covid. There’s about to be so much competition at EWR between UA, NK, F9, and B6

drdisque

Re: EWR UA future

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:20 pm

UA is focusing on destinations those carriers can't or won't serve as well as International NYC local traffic.
Part of this is the plan to remove all single class regional aircraft from EWR. All UAX flights will be on the E-Jet or the CRJ-550.

EBiafore99

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:34 pm

I don't live in NY, so this may be a stupid question: How is it to get to EWR vs. JFK? Is JFK overwhelmingly preferred, or does it depend on where you live in NY?

airzim

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:37 pm

Honestly, NK, F9, and B6 are bottom feeders. They are catering to fare conscious travelers, primarily leisure markets. While UA might match some O&D fare products in those markets, they also have the network to back feed/fill those downline sectors without trashing yields too much. There is limitless demand to Florida and VFR Caribbean markets from NYC metro which is where these carriers are operating, but UA hasn't traditionally gone big after those markets.

More importantly, UA is corralling most of the available gate space in all terminals. There's little hope for any sizable competitive response. This isn't UA/COs first go around at EWR. The road is littered with failed attempts to compete with UA, (Southwest, Kiwi, ATA, etc)

B6 is making an attempt to up-market their offering with transcon services, but honestly, it's just not that appealing based on their lackluster schedule. At least to this 1K.

airzim

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:37 pm

EBiafore99 wrote:
I don't live in NY, so this may be a stupid question: How is it to get to EWR vs. JFK? Is JFK overwhelmingly preferred, or does it depend on where you live in NY?

Yes. Let's leave it at that.

ddaly241
Topic Author

Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:51 pm

I went through the United Q2 thread and I saw that UA are aiming to have 500+ flights daily post Covid. Sounds interesting, especially the news that UA are expanding to 20 gates in the future at terminal 1