Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wneast
Topic Author

WN Hawaii and its operation

Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:22 am

What does everyone think what’s next for WN in Hawaii? Will they start a flight attendant satellite base there ? Will WN offer more flights then Hawaiian to the mainland and take the number one I’m flights and offerings ? Will they offer a more competitive inter island flight schedule if they have a satellite base for FA? Basically what are peoples thoughts about what may happen next?

KMCOFlyer

Re: WN Hawaii and its operation

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 am

Here is a pic I found of WNs new ticket counter in Lobby 7. Looks much better than their old setup in Lobby 6. Also WN used 11 different gates today for their operations which are spread across E and F so it sounds like the expansion is going well.

Wneast
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:34 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Here is a pic I found of WNs new ticket counter in Lobby 7. Looks much better than their old setup in Lobby 6. Also WN used 11 different gates today for their operations which are spread across E and F so it sounds like the expansion is going well.

You think we see more flights starting in the winter ? More frequency on the new routes is what I’m hearing and maybe add PDX and ONT I’m hearing of SEA and PDX in august but I’m not sure about that

KMCOFlyer

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:43 am

Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

You think we see more flights starting in the winter ? More frequency on the new routes is what I’m hearing and maybe add PDX and ONT I’m hearing of SEA and PDX in august but I’m not sure about that

I’d be surprised if they added SEA and PDX as that’s solid AS territory right there but who knows as they did start LAX which surprised me. ONT seems like a no brainer as the next logical add as they will have the market all to themselves. I think the MAX-7 will be key for the next round of growth to HNL however. Having the MAX 7 makes adding SNA, BUR, DEN, and potentially even DAL possible with WN.

Wneast
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:51 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Wneast wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

I’d be surprised if they added SEA and PDX as that’s solid AS territory right there but who knows as they did start LAX which surprised me. ONT seems like a no brainer as the next logical add as they will have the market all to themselves. I think the MAX-7 will be key for the next round of growth to HNL however. Having the MAX 7 makes adding SNA, BUR, DEN, and potentially even DAL possible with WN.

Thats what I’m thinking for the Max seven next summer I would say PDX is more likely WN is reliable good size number two there but honestly they could surprise us and add PDX and SEA because they seem to be going at AS in all hawaii markets, so why not go straight to main hubs of AS. If they make it anytime to ANC they should try flights from there too Hawaii AS would be pissed. If they could add fuel tanks or some how make DAL that would be amazing. I think they max seven might also be the potential to start smaller markets at less then daily, think FAT,BOI,GEG maybe once daily BLI filing the void AS left. I imagine we will see DEN with at least three daily too HNL and OGG to go at United maybe two daily or one too the smaller islands.

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:19 am

Sounds like Southwest is doing great in Hawaii so far, however that doesn't have to mean it's going to stay that way.

I mean, what if the ULCCs discover the Hawaiian market? Allegiant has flown there before, they might return. Spirit or Frontier might give it a try with the A321NEO, they could start a price war on the Hawaiian market. Slight problem could be that they don't have much west coast presence, Las Vegas is their furthest western hub. Of course LAS-HNL is no problem for an A321NEO, but they'd be overflying the coastal regions where Southwest is picking up the demand.

Wneast
Topic Author

Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:52 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Sounds like Southwest is doing great in Hawaii so far, however that doesn't have to mean it's going to stay that way.

I mean, what if the ULCCs discover the Hawaiian market? Allegiant has flown there before, they might return. Spirit or Frontier might give it a try with the A321NEO, they could start a price war on the Hawaiian market. Slight problem could be that they don't have much west coast presence, Las Vegas is their furthest western hub. Of course LAS-HNL is no problem for an A321NEO, but they'd be overflying the coastal regions where Southwest is picking up the demand.

That would be interesting but that would still be two to three years at this points with the having to obtain Etops and if they announced Hawaii WN has plenty of time to take charge before they would even start

TWA772LR

Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:26 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

That's the trick. Southwest has a huge fan base in ALL of California. Something that NK, F9, and G4 don't have.

Wneast
Topic Author

Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:20 am

Just a thought if WN does increase inter island they can do it when they start red eyes next year that will allow more gate space during the day

Wneast
Topic Author

Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 am

Sounds like WN will have 80 etops aircraft next summer without the next gen most likely moving back to the mainland thats a lot more flying. That is more aircraft then Hawaiian even has at all

janders

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:02 am

TWA772LR wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
That's the trick. Southwest has a huge fan base in ALL of California. Something that NK, F9, and G4 don't have.

:checkmark:

SWA is the largest airline in California with an enthusiastic following, and California is the largest feeder market for Hawaii visitors.

A good combo. I reckon they will do great in the market.

Max Q

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:24 am

Is Southwest operating the Max on any of their Hawaiian routes yet ?

Wneast
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:26 am

Max Q wrote:

All of them should be Max by July

ytib

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:37 am

Wneast wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Was this an announcement by Southwest?

On 7/5 in a quick look I am seeing 1188, 808, 1226, 1516, 5647, 243 not operated by MAX, after spending just a minute on this I stopped as it was a waste of my time.

Wneast
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:42 am

ytib wrote:
Wneast wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Was this an announcement by Southwest?

On 7/5 in a quick look I am seeing 1188, 808, 1226, 1516, 5647, 243 not operated by MAX, after spending just a minute on this I stopped as it was a waste of my time.

It is said over in the WN thread

hawaiian717

Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:14 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
ONT seems like a no brainer as the next logical add as they will have the market all to themselves.

Hawaiian is back in ONT, so Southwest would not have the market to themselves.

Wneast
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:21 pm

hawaiian717 wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
ONT seems like a no brainer as the next logical add as they will have the market all to themselves.

Hawaiian is back in ONT, so Southwest would not have the market to themselves.

But I don’t think that would stop WN considering there strong customer presence at ONT. You are right though they wouldn’t be the only one in the market.