Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAUA
Topic Author

Will I be able to go on this trip quarantine free?

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:00 pm

I have just booked the following assumingthat everythingwill be normal by March 2022

1) 17/3: Hong Kong to Santiago via San Francisco and Houston

2) 19/3- 5/4: Diamond Princess balcony : Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Mexico. Departure: San Antonio. Arrival: Los Angeles

3) 5/4-7/4: Los Angeles

4) 7/4: Los Angeles to San Francisco

5) 7/4- 11/4: San Francisco

6 ) 11/4: San Francisco to Honolulu

7) 12/4-16/4: Honoluu

8) 16/4: Honolulu to Tokyo

9) 17/4-22/4: Tokyo

10) 23/4: Tokyo to Hong Kong

I will get be fully vaccinated with Biontech by then.

Already paid

Will I be able to go with no quarantine by then? Comments?

Thanks

davidjohnson6

Re: Will I be able to go on this trip quarantine free?

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:06 pm

I doubt even a person who won the Nobel prize for medicine could give you an answer on what quarantine will look like by early 2022. There is far too much uncertainty on what will happen in the "Vaccine v New Variant" battle taking place

PatrickZ80

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:11 pm

Indeed it's unpredictable, quarantine requirements come and go all the time. 2022 is still far away, nobody knows what the situation will look like by then.

I hope you've booked refundable tickets, otherwise you might lose a lot of money over it if suddenly there are quarantine requirements, the current situation is no guarantee for the future.

UAUA
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Dates changeable tickets

UAUA
Topic Author

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Hope everything returns to normal by then

This is dragging way too long

seansasLCY

Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:04 pm

At the moment Japan and Hong Kong look to be the least likely to be quarantine free or open. Both are relatively slow with vaccinations and very restrictive on entry.

UAUA
Topic Author

Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 am

Both very strict indeed.

But again March 2022 is far from now maybe things will change?

Flight+cruise schedules have reappeared.

aklrno

Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:58 am

Ignoring COVID for now, you are connecting at SFO in March and SFO is your first US destination so you have to clear immigration and customs there and then go through TSA. Please tell me you have allowed many hours for this. The only good news is that your flight arriving from Asia won’t be delayed much on landing. The domestic leg to Houston could be subjected to a delay at SFO which could make you miss the flight to Chile. Don’t put much faith in minimum connect times UA might imagine are sufficient. Allow for several hours weather delay.

There are always interesting museum displays at SFO or use the great Polaris or AMEX lounge if you are eligible. Sounds like a great trip so don’t turn it into a disaster by expecting SFO to be operating all 4 runways.

UAUA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:38 am

aklrno wrote:
Ignoring COVID for now, you are connecting at SFO in March and SFO is your first US destination so you have to clear immigration and customs there and then go through TSA. Please tell me you have allowed many hours for this. The only good news is that your flight arriving from Asia won’t be delayed much on landing. The domestic leg to Houston could be subjected to a delay at SFO which could make you miss the flight to Chile. Don’t put much faith in minimum connect times UA might imagine are sufficient. Allow for several hours weather delay.

There are always interesting museum displays at SFO or use the great Polaris or AMEX lounge if you are eligible. Sounds like a great trip so don’t turn it into a disaster by expecting SFO to be operating all 4 runways.

1 hour and 50 hours transit time in San Francisco. 4 hours and 45 minutes in Houston. Is that good enough? I know UA flights are often delayed.

aklrno

Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:57 pm

1:50 should be good enough at SFO if the customs and TSA people are at full strength. I wouldn't stand around or stop to buy a snack until very near the departure gate. There's a bit of a walk from international arrivals to domestic TSA, and then UA has a lot of gates at SFO so more walking possible there.

One thing working in your favor is that if SFO is experiencing departure delays due to runway usage your incoming international flight won't be delayed but the flight to IAH might, giving you a bit more time to connect. 4:45 in Houston allows for a lot of slop. If you have to change terminals at IAH you could have a long walk to a train and then more walking to the gate, but 4:45 is a long time.

The return via SFO seems to have no critical times so should be easy. Where are you staying at LAX? I grew up in West LA and worked at UCLA and Marina Del Rey so I know the area well if you want any advice there.

UAUA
Topic Author

Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:29 am

Thanks a lot.

I know SFO and LA well.