Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IFLYUA767
Topic Author

Future of Doug Parker at AA

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 am

Does anyone think that Doug Parker may be on his way out at AA? It seems that with crew shortages that are currently harming AA and the fact that they had a huge number of customer complaints last year, that the BOD at AA may want to decide that whether or not new leadership is needed. I personally think that it’s time for Parker to step aside. He’s done some good things but he’s been running airlines for 20 years when you include his stints as CEO at HP, US, and AA. I believe that AA is a great company but they just lack the type of vision that DL and UA have right now. It seems that DL and UA want to provide a more premium experience while AA seems to want to turn itself into a low-cost carrier.

UALFAson

Re: Future of Doug Parker at AA

Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:28 am

It takes some serious incompetence or mismanagement (like, usually criminal level) for a BOD to replace a CEO. While AA's operational performance has certainly been less-than-stellar of late, it's not like they're the only airline having staffing and weather issues right now. In a few months, this will all be forgotten by the flying public who will go back to buying whichever ticket is cheapest.

As an AA Platinum-level flyer, I am disappointed with the product and service changes that have been made lately and wish Mr. Parker would soon be succeeded by someone willing to re-invest in the product the way DL and now UA are, but I don't see a revolt among the employee groups or the Board anytime soon. We're stuck with him until he decides to retire or move on, I'm afraid.

IFLYUA767
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:31 pm

UALFAson wrote:
It takes some serious incompetence or mismanagement (like, usually criminal level) for a BOD to replace a CEO. While AA's operational performance has certainly been less-than-stellar of late, it's not like they're the only airline having staffing and weather issues right now. In a few months, this will all be forgotten by the flying public who will go back to buying whichever ticket is cheapest.

As an AA Platinum-level flyer, I am disappointed with the product and service changes that have been made lately and wish Mr. Parker would soon be succeeded by someone willing to re-invest in the product the way DL and now UA are, but I don't see a revolt among the employee groups or the Board anytime soon. We're stuck with him until he decides to retire or move on, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the information. Parker seems disconnected from employees and customers. He just doesn’t seem to care much about the well-being of AA. I hope that he eventually sees the frustration with employees and customers and he either changes his style or decides to move on. I think AA is a great company overall but it isn’t what it used to be.

bfitzflyer

Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:07 am

Coming up on 8 years since the merger. These days that is a decent tenure as CEO in today's business world. No more than 2 more years I would say, of course pure speculation.

UALFAson

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:22 am

IFLYUA767 wrote:
Thanks for the information. Parker seems disconnected from employees and customers. He just doesn’t seem to care much about the well-being of AA. I hope that he eventually sees the frustration with employees and customers and he either changes his style or decides to move on. I think AA is a great company overall but it isn’t what it used to be.

Well, I'm not sure I would say he "doesn't...care" in general, though he doesn't seem to be bothered by criticisms of him downgrading the AA product. Remember much of his professional background was at America West and then US Airways, two distinctly lower-end carriers. A lot of the criticism of Mr. Parker is that he is trying to run AA, a global, business traveler-oriented airline, the same way he did HP and US, which has led to AA's current bi-polar status of having 777-300s with an international First Class product and simultaneously squeezing as many seats into Economy as they can courtesy of OASIS and cutting back on in-flight service.

I have spoken with several current and former AA HQ staff, and even before COVID they talked about low morale and confusion over what the company strategy is, and that (or the lack thereof) comes directly from the top. I imagine with UA's decision to re-invest in their inflight product, there are going to be some serious conversations had in Fort Worth about how AA is going to respond.

9w748capt

Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:42 am

UALFAson wrote:
IFLYUA767 wrote:
I imagine with UA's decision to re-invest in their inflight product, there are going to be some serious conversations had in Fort Worth about how AA is going to respond.

I sure hope so. But Dougie has shown repeatedly that he simply does not care. He's going to cut every little thing he can get away with. He doesn't care if his decisions are stupid or backfire, and somehow he continues to get away with it. It's a damn shame that AA got ULCC'd in the merger.

FlyEndeavorAir

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:45 pm

Dougie has to know something on someone, since their respective mergers Delta is on their second CEO (the first one having retired) and United is on their third. Morale is extremely low at AA and I don't know anyone in the company outside of maybe HQ at DFW who likes him.

I don't know many people outside of some shareholders who are happy he has turned AA into an ULCC.

9w748capt

Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

I don't know many people outside of some shareholders who are happy he has turned AA into an ULCC.

And that's exactly the problem. Dougie doesn't have to give a rat's behind about anyone other than the shareholders. He literally does not care that there are LUS A321s still out there without even power plugs, much less PTVs! So unfortunately as long as the shareholders are satisfied with their earnings, Dougie will likely keep his job. Only question is how much lower can he possibly sink AA before he's done - whenever that is.