Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Do you feel safer in jetliners with more engines?

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:05 pm

I've only flown in two jetliner types with four engines: the Boeing 707 and the Boeing 747, but I felt safer in those than in three-engine and two-engine types.

I realize that jet engine reliability has increased over time relatively speaking, hence ETOPS and such. I also am aware that having more engines on a jetliner can create additional problems not seen on twin engine jetliners.

Economics seems to rule these days as most jetliners are twin engine aircraft.

I recall reading somewhere that the safety records of airline types does not correlate with twins being involved in more accidents and incidents than three and four engine types.

My question is more in the subjective realm. Do you feel equally safe in twin engine jetliners or three engine jetliners as you do in four engine types? Sometimes subjective feelings don't correlate with objective factors but I have always felt safer in four engine jetliners. How about you?

speedbird52

Re: Do you feel safer in jetliners with more engines?

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:08 pm

No I just think the quads are more impressive to look out the window. In the case of the 747 and A380 lower decks, I feel more comfortable on them because the cabins are more spacious so I don't get claustrophobic

32andBelow

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 pm

No. How many accidents were from all the engines shutting off?

rutankrd

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 pm

The question is more wing or more engines!

The A388 is the perfect combination on that score

26point2

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:17 pm

Airbus and later Virgin Atlantic believed 4 engines were better than 2. They used the “4 for the Long Haul” slogan on the Airbus 340 and had it clearly labeled on the engine. I suppose Virgin removed the slogan when they started twin engine long haul ops.

Story. https://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/20 ... us-slogan/

26point2

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:18 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
26point2 wrote:
Airbus and later Virgin Atlantic believed 4 engines were better than 2. They used the “4 for the Long Haul” slogan on the Airbus 340 and had it clearly labeled on the engine. I suppose Virgin removed the slogan when they started twin engine long haul ops.

Story. https://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/20 ... us-slogan/

Regardless...that Sir Richard Branson is one cool dude.

SL1200MK2

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:34 pm

It’s funny because I grasp all of the concepts behind the safety of twins and especially so during ETOPS. That said, if I had to choose an aircraft to be aboard with an engine failure, I suppose I’d prefer to be on a quad. Of course, this applies to a single engine failing.

Elementalism

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:36 pm

It is possible twin engines will fail. See that cargo 737 in Hawaii last week. But it will take a significant failure for both to go out. I'd suspect in that kind of catastrophic failure 4 engines would burn out instead of two. Meaning I dont find it safer to fly on 4 engines vs 2.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 pm

2 engines are just as safe as 4, there's really no reason to prefer more engines.

Take for example Air Transat 236, an A330 that ran out of fuel over the Atlantic and glided towards the Azores. They were lucky it was an A330 instead of an A340, due to the higher amount of engines the A340 has more drag and is therefor not as good as a glider as the A330. If that flight would have been on an A340 they likely wouldn't have made it, they would have crashed into the ocean.

In case of a single engine failure a quad is technically safer, although a twin is safe enough. However in case all engines fail, less engines is better.

IFlyVeryLittle

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:00 pm

With four engines, you raise the probability of suffering some kind of catastrophic failure that could, potentially, harm the aircraft. Twice as many spinny parts, twice as many super-heated parts, twice as many potential explosions, uncontained turbine failures etc.

n797mx

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:05 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Air Transat Flight 236
US Airways Flight 1549
Air Canada Flight 143
TACA Flight 110
Garuda Indonesia Flight 421
Southern Airways Flight 242
Aeroflot Flight 7841
Scandinavian Airlines Flight 751
Ural Airlines Flight 178

NOAA42, a P-3, likely would have crashed had it not had four engines. But that is the only case where having four helped out that I could find.
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

OA412

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 pm

No, and I've never been the bravest flier. The first time I flew a long haul twin, I didn't even know what aircraft was operating my flight until I arrived at the gate to see a 763. Up until that time, all my transatlantic flights had been on 747s. I didn't think about the aircraft being a twin during the entire trip. Since then, I've crossed the Atlantic multiple times in twins, and never felt unsafe doing so. Pre-COVID, I'd go out of my way to book a 747 just because I love that aircraft so much, but not because I felt particularly safer.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

conaly

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:45 pm

No. Never had any thought about that. Had short haul and long haul flights on twins, trijets and quads and all of them arrived. Some of my longest flights were on twins (SQ22 on A359ULR for example). I've actually never experienced any engine issues on any of my flights.

Whether I felt more or less safe was more depending on the airline operating the flight than the specific type used.
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH

Yflyer

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:46 pm

n797mx wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Air Transat Flight 236
US Airways Flight 1549
Air Canada Flight 143
TACA Flight 110
Aeroflot Flight 7841
Ural Airlines Flight 178

NOAA42, a P-3, likely would have crashed had it not had four engines. But that is the only case where having four helped out that I could find.

There was also the BA 747 that flew through volcanic ash in the early 1980s, although they were able to restart the engines once they descended below the ash cloud. Note that in that case having four engines didn't help them.

Haemoglobin

Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:14 am

n797mx wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Air Transat Flight 236
US Airways Flight 1549
Air Canada Flight 143
TACA Flight 110
Aeroflot Flight 7841
Ural Airlines Flight 178

None of the accidents you’ve mentioned were primarily caused by the number of engines or could’ve been prevented by more engines (as far as I can tell).

AirKevin

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:11 am

n797mx wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Air Transat Flight 236
US Airways Flight 1549
Air Canada Flight 143
TACA Flight 110
Aeroflot Flight 7841
Ural Airlines Flight 178

I could add United 173 and Avianca 52 to the list, both of which involved four-engine jets. Somebody else mentioned British Airways 9, although they were eventually able to get their engines restarted. KLM 867 also had the same issue as British Airways 9. Then there was Eastern 855 that lost all three engines before they were able to get one engine restarted prior to landing.
Captain Kevin

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:59 am

Does anyone know if any four-engined jetliner ever crashed after sustaining bird strikes in all four engines?

I don't know why, but I always felt safer flying over the Rocky Mountains in the USA in three and four-engined jetliners instead of twins. I guess modern twin aircraft can sustain a single engline failure over the Rockies and still maintain a safe altitude above terrain.

I've never flown in a twin engined jetliner over the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean but my gut tells me more engines than two would be safer. I guess that US FAA disagrees with me though and they must have the facts. Supposedly the incredible reliability of modern engines makes the odds almost astronomical that an ETOPS airliner could lose both engines during a flight.

There is a joke about this. Two gentlemen are on a three engine powered jetliner when the Captain comes on the PA and announces that he has lost an engine. He assures the passengers that the aircraft is completely safe in this condition but that they may be arriving 10 minutes late to their destination because of the lost engine. Suddenly there is a jolt and the Captain returns to the PA to announce that another engine has been lost but that everything is still okay but that now the flight might be arriving at its final destination 20 minutes late. On hearings this one man looks at the other and says: "Oh great . . . if we lose that last engine we're going be up here all night." :rotfl:

Kent350787

Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:05 am

Decades of experience have shown few occasions where 4 engines would have realistically yielded a better incident outcome than 2.

We don't look for 4 engined narrow bodies for safety, and I didn't think twice last time I stepped onto a 77W for a 15.5hr sector.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

Max Q

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:46 am

convair880mfan wrote:
Does anyone know if any four-engined jetliner ever crashed after sustaining bird strikes in all four engines?

I don't know why, but I always felt safer flying over the Rocky Mountains in the USA in three and four-engined jetliners instead of twins. I guess modern twin aircraft can sustain a single engline failure over the Rockies and still maintain a safe altitude above terrain.

I've never flown in a twin engined jetliner over the Atlantic or Pacific Ocean but my gut tells me more engines than two would be safer. I guess that US FAA disagrees with me though and they must have the facts. Supposedly the incredible reliability of modern engines makes the odds almost astronomical that an ETOPS airliner could lose both engines during a flight.

There is a joke about this. Two gentlemen are on a three engine powered jetliner when the Captain comes on the PA and announces that he has lost an engine. He assures the passengers that the aircraft is completely safe in this condition but that they may be arriving 10 minutes late to their destination because of the lost engine. Suddenly there is a jolt and the Captain returns to the PA to announce that another engine has been lost but that everything is still okay but that now the flight might be arriving at its final destination 20 minutes late. On hearings this one man looks at the other and says: "Oh great . . . if we lose that last engine we're going be up here all night." :rotfl:

The USAF lost a four engine E3 AWACS many years ago after ingesting numerous geese on departure from an Air Force base in Alaska (don’t remember the name)

Not a commercial flight but it was unusual that a large four engine jet was brought down in that manner
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Kiwiandrew

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:12 am

A few years ago I flew Auckland to Buenos Aires return on a 777. There was a lot of empty ocean below me, and I didn't give it a second thought .

The number of engines isn't the only factor in EDTO, if I am not mistaken newer twins are equipped with cargo fire suppression systems with considerably more endurance than some older quads. Those two spare engines won't count for a lot if you are on an older quad with a fire in the hold and the fire suppression systems aren't up to the job. ( Although that wouldn't put me off if someone could find a 744 and offer me a ride )

conaly

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:46 am

Maybe one advantage of a quad is a situation like this one: https://youtu.be/AZQ-r_UI_fQ?t=45
Lufthansa 747-8 loses an engine after departure and returns to JFK. The pilots assure, that they are NOT in an emergency situation. Just lost one engine. On a twin, as far as I know, an engine failure would result in declaring emergency, even though the aircraft is still airworthy.

However, some time ago, there was this interview with the captain of United flight 1175 that landed in HNL with one failed engine back in 2018. The aircraft sustained a fan blade failure that resulted in an engine failure, that ripped off parts of the engine cowling. At the time, they were still far out over the Pacific Ocean around 40min inbound HNL. Due to the severe damage of the destroyed engine, there was a lot of drag and a lot of vibrations, that made the plane incredibly difficult to control. Even though a single engine failure on a twinjet should normally be not that much of a problem, the drag and vibrations were so severe, that even with the remaining engine at full power, they could barely keep speed and altitude. As the captain states, they were very lucky, that (besides having a third pilot in the cockpit as a dead head, who did help them a lot) the engine failure happened just around 40min short of HNL. If that would've happened just 100 miles further out, it would have resulted in a controlled descend into the ocean.
Great interview, I can just recommend to watch it. Pretty long (54min), but very interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7_lzeY23dI

So even with all ETOPS and whatever taking into consideration, there is still the possibility, that an engine failure on a twin will make the plane unable to continue even to the nearest possible airport.
Airports 2019 ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020 ALG, AMS, CTS, FRA, GVA, HKG, HND, LYS, MSQ, MUC, NUE, SXF, TLV, ZRH

Nicoeddf

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:58 am

More than one is nice. More than two unnecessary. So no.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
Decades of experience have shown few occasions where 4 engines would have realistically yielded a better incident outcome than 2.

We don't look for 4 engined narrow bodies for safety, and I didn't think twice last time I stepped onto a 77W for a 15.5hr sector.

3 or 4 engines have options over water or in remote regions that twins don’t have. Lose an engine over the Article and you might find yourself in Siberia for a time. Shut down an engine in a twin and you’re landing; the same event in a tri- or a quad and there’s other options.

New planes all have to meet fire suppression standards that are alike, so that protection is there regardless on the number of engines.

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:43 pm

I think economics, perhaps plays one of the major roles in all this.

Would customers want to pay a lot more for flying on a three or four engine jetliner rather than a twin [all other things considered equal? ]

I think the success of Southwest Airlines in the USA shows that customers [generally speaking] want the most economical flight available. Of course, there is certainly a subset of passengers who consider the amenities of various carrier, brand loyalty and so on.

When Southwest Airlines came to my city with two engines, two pilot aircraft and low fares, that was a big deal. I saw the Boeing 707 and 727 go away. I'm not saying this is the only reason they went away. There was noise and pollution too. American Airlines was the last carrier to serve my city [Albuquerque, NM] with the 727 trijet.

Japanese carriers, apparently, found ways to make money on the Domestic versions of the Boeing 747. I once flew a 747-400 from Denver to Los Angeles [United] and a 747-200 from St. Louise to NYC [TWA]. I don't know of any passenger carrier in the USA that ever used the 747 domestic models that were used in the Japanese niche market.

Don't know if the 747 D models would even work in the US environment since one of the ways the Japanese cut down on the gross weight of that aircraft was by factoring in the low carry-on baggage weight of the mostly business class passengers using this aircraft.

Any thoughts?

AirKevin

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:07 pm

convair880mfan wrote:
I don't know of any passenger carrier in the USA that ever used the 747 domestic models that were used in the Japanese niche market.

There weren't any. The only two airlines to have used the domestic 747 models were Japan Airlines and ANA.
convair880mfan wrote:
Don't know if the 747 D models would even work in the US environment since one of the ways the Japanese cut down on the gross weight of that aircraft was by factoring in the low carry-on baggage weight of the mostly business class passengers using this aircraft.

Any thoughts?

One thing to take into consideration is the fact that they were only using the 747s on those short domestic flights because they were able to fill them. If they couldn't, they wouldn't be doing it. As far as I'm aware, there aren't too many 767s doing domestic flights in the United States, let alone a 747.
Captain Kevin

conaly

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:34 pm

convair880mfan wrote:
Japanese carriers, apparently, found ways to make money on the Domestic versions of the Boeing 747. I once flew a 747-400 from Denver to Los Angeles [United] and a 747-200 from St. Louise to NYC [TWA]. I don't know of any passenger carrier in the USA that ever used the 747 domestic models that were used in the Japanese niche market.

The Japanese domestic market is very different from most other areas. They have a very high demand between the biggest cities from early in the morning until late in the evening, so they can fill even the biggest planes at certain times. In the past, they were using 747-100SR and 747-400D, which were specifically reworked from their base model for short haul operations. Boeing actually did offer a domestic Dreamliner, too, the 787-3. It was ordered by both ANA and JAL at first, but later converted to the regular 787-8. Today, they use all available (regular) widebodies on those routes. If you take the route Tokyo Haneda - Sapporo for example, there are around 50 flights per day on ANA and JAL alone, most of them with 767-300, 777-200 and -300, 787-8 and -9, JAL even uses the A359. Only very of those few flights operate with 737-800 on that route. However no quads anymore for the same reason, they have been phased out elsewhere: twins are more economical.

Kent350787

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:11 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

3 or 4 engines have options over water or in remote regions that twins don’t have. Lose an engine over the Article and you might find yourself in Siberia for a time. Shut down an engine in a twin and you’re landing; the same event in a tri- or a quad and there’s other options.

New planes all have to meet fire suppression standards that are alike, so that protection is there regardless on the number of engines.

Theoretically "4 engines 4 long haul" is right. But in operation, at least in the last decade, big twins have been fine. And fantatsic to look out the window from over the Arctic and Siberia!
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/ Q100/200/E195/ 733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/ 320/321/332/333/345/359

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:57 am

Kent350787 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Theoretically "4 engines 4 long haul" is right. But in operation, at least in the last decade, big twins have been fine. And fantatsic to look out the window from over the Arctic and Siberia!

It’s not a right or wrong answer, they’re just different options. Yes looking out the window over Siberia is fantastic (been there, done that from the front seats and from business); but lose an engine and you might find yourself with close up view of a garden spot like Mirny or Bratsk in the winter. The four-engine guy could continue.

Kent350787

Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:19 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
It’s not a right or wrong answer, they’re just different options. Yes looking out the window over Siberia is fantastic (been there, done that from the front seats and from business); but lose an engine and you might find yourself with close up view of a garden spot like Mirny or Bratsk in the winter. The four-engine guy could continue.

Exactly, different options. My last time was J and it was very pleasant. IIRC this was the last occasion a twin needed to land, but I don't know whether a quad would have continued with such a vibration?
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... aleutians/

Max Q

Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:10 am

My answer is yes, despite all the statistics I prefer to be on a three or four engine aircraft

It just gives you more redundancy and more options, if economics were not an issue I’d like all my air travel to be in a 747, the finest passenger aircraft ever built

GGg

BubbleFrog

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:09 pm

Correct me if I'm misremembering, but I think I've read that statistically, 2 engines trump 4 with respect to safety. Which doesn't really matter, as they're both incredibly safe these days.

I like 4. Not because of any imagined greater safety (which could be false anyway), or because the only engine issue and subsequent emergency landing I ever experienced was on 2. Just because they're 4.

But no, I don't feel safer on one over the other.
Absolute Relativist

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:40 pm

Virtually every aircraft will only have 2 engines from here on out, so, if 2 engines makes you nervous, we will need to work on that pretty quickly….
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

AirframeAS

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:23 am

To me, I don't really care. The 777 has done a great job over the years proving itself. So did the DC-10 back in the day. So as long as we have a well performing aircraft. I'm good to go.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Max Q

Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:58 am

‘More to go wrong’ with four engines is a twisted logic though

There’s also more to go right !

GGg