Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kiowa
Topic Author

Only one US airline makes the top 10 best

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 am

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airl ... index.html

United is the only airline in the United States that ranked as one of the top 10 airlines in the world.

airlinepeanuts

Re: Only one US airline makes the top 10 best

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:06 am

“Airlineratings.com” rankings I wouldn’t put much value in.

Aaron747

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:06 am

kiowa wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airline-ratings-worlds-best-airlines-2021/index.html

United is the only airline in the United States that ranked as one of the top 10 airlines in the world.

The criteria breakdown in the article is pretty vague...almost to the point of being useless.

777luver

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:12 am

These kinds of rankings make me laugh, they are always highly vague, are usually biased and never have a complete overall assessment with how they come up with those rankings. It's usually flawed or incomplete most of the time. Next survey will have UA at the bottom
Last edited by 777luver on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 am

I feel like we have the same discussion about this highly flawed highly subjective survey every year that has no meaningful impact of purchasing decisions every year

DBCoop3r

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:29 am

IMO... WN, AS, DL, and B6 are all better airlines than UA, in some ways significantly more so. Not my criteria set though, so doesn't matter.

MD8090orDRIVE

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:33 am

DBCoop3r wrote:
IMO... WN, AS, DL, and B6 are all better airlines than UA, in some ways significantly more so. Not my criteria set though, so doesn't matter.

I 100% agree with you Mr Cooper. I put United almost at the bottom
Last edited by MD8090orDRIVE on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tullamarine

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:33 am

airlineratings.com is typically a joke. I wouldn't pay any attention to them.

zeke

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:44 am

kiowa wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airline-ratings-worlds-best-airlines-2021/index.html

Geoffrey Thomas Who is associated with airline ratings as far as I am aware has no aviation related qualifications, often quoted in these sort of articles. Also often interviewed after accidents as an expert which frustrates me.

Pi7472000

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:10 am

Congrats to United! They have really improved. I flew WN and UA this summer from DEN and UA was much better. WN had 4 drink options(not even a can offered), chaotic boarding and huge delays. Not impressed with Southwest at all. United had much better service! I am surprised Delta didn’t make it up there.

FlyEndeavorAir

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:31 am

tullamarine wrote:
airlineratings.com is typically a joke. I wouldn't pay any attention to them.

This.

Although I would rank United above Southwest at this point.

FlyEndeavorAir

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:31 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Congrats to United! They have really improved. I flew WN and UA this summer from DEN and UA was much better. WN had 4 drink options(not even a can offered), chaotic boarding and huge delays. Not impressed with Southwest at all. United had much better service! I am surprised Delta didn’t make it up there.

Agreed.

LexPassenger

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:46 am

I am always pleased when folks prefer other airlines than the ones I prefer, makes my preference more affordable. Think about it, this isn't mid-western high school basketball, er, stick waving, is it?.
United is a fine airline. This sort of "rating" is crap. 'Nuff said?

BAeRJ100

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:49 am

zeke wrote:
Geoffrey Thomas Who is associated with airline ratings as far as I am aware has no aviation related qualifications, often quoted in these sort of articles. Also often interviewed after accidents as an expert which frustrates me.

The joke is that GT may have worked on the ramp years ago, whether this is factual or a joke to try and justify why he's constantly trotted out as an "aviation expert" I haven't been able to actually ascertain. Two things are for sure - I will never use Airline Ratings as a reliable, non-biased source, and I will always flip the channel any time he's on tv.

Pi7472000 wrote:

Airline Ratings is a poor man's Skytrax, whom hardly reward on merit as it is (rather, who has deeper pockets).

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:12 am

The only reason United made the list is due to COVID. Not many of the great world class airlines serve decent food during COVID.

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:17 am

And no airlines from China made the list.

eta unknown

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:31 am

Don't read anything into any of these awards (there are so many) that can also be bought- indeed, that was the EK strategy in the late '90s.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am

As others have said, it's pretty irrelevant.

Nowadays quality doesn't mean anything in deciding which airline to fly, what matters is value for money. In that case an ULCC can sometimes come out better due to the lower ticket price.

vhqpa

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:13 am

4. Qantas

Well that settles GT's chairman's lounge membership for another 12 months...

Kent350787

Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:48 am

vhqpa wrote:
4. Qantas

Well that settles GT's chairman's lounge membership for another 12 months...

Haha. I'm gonna be rushing to fly the No 4 rated airline on its current extensive internat.... oh...

I'm surprised CX is at 6 and JL at 14 given my own experiences. Equally that QF is up so high.

Hopefully QF will be able to restart international services by mid-2022 (NZ doesn't count, and I still shake my head that we don't have a Schengen style arrangement)

DCTenFan

Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:25 am

United doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. Internationally the US carriers are horrendous. I have flown Business class between California and Europe several times trying different airlines.
Finnair, British Airways and Turkish Airlines have all given a superb product. American and United basically s_cked. Their service is perfunctory and dull. They don't know the first thing about quality service. A couple low-lights of flying the US carriers: 1) A passenger next to me asked if there was any rose wine. A flight attendant said "No, but I can make you a rose by mixing red and white half and half" 2) Toward the end of an overnight flight to Europe when we were awakening for breakfast, my mouth felt dry and I craved the carbonation of a soft drink. I asked the flight attendant for a Sprite and her surly response was "We're doing the breakfast service now."

CraigAnderson

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:10 am

Which airline was chosen as World's Best? Qatar Airways.

Which airline has for months been advertising on AirlineRatings.com, and still is now, with FIVE adverts on the home page alone? Qatar Airways.

Which airline used to be chosen as World's Best for many years in the past? Air New Zealand.

Which airline used to advertise extensively on AirlineRatings.com for many years until CEO Chris Luxon left and new CEO Greg Foran arrived in 2020, and which AirlineRatings editor Geoffrey Thomas would regularly fly with from Perth to the USA or Europe and post about on social media during those flights? Air New Zealand.

The same happens with 'stories'. Go back and look at how many QR press releases AirlineRatings has run as 'stories' over the past year, then go back and look at how Air New Zealand used to get the exact same treatment back when it was advertising and winning the World's Best Airline award.

These so-called 'awards' are blatant favouritism at best and 'cash for comment' at worst. It is past time that AirlineRatings was called out for this by the media instead of them regurgitating the awards which feeds back into the cosy commercial relationship between Geoffrey Thomas and the airlines his blog gives awards to.

(And yes, it's a blog, run by one person and sometimes his wife Christine whose byline appears under articles about AirlineRatings when GT needs to be quoted. Most of the stories are just rehashed press releases or videos of 'an amazing cross-wind landing', there is a C-grade blog pretending to be some worldwide authority site.)

Boeing757100

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:30 am

Airlineratings.com is like the Simple Flying of airline ratings. It contradicts itself, baseless, and not really all that relevant. I'm even begging for a Skytrax and that is really saying something.

panamair

Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 am

Here’s another problem: how many people have been able to fly many of these carriers in the last 12 months to even make the results credible? Or that some of these international airlines on there have hardly been flying during this period? Most of them have severely curtailed their schedules and many of them are from countries which have hardly been accessible during the last year!

Gillbilly

Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:27 am

United breaks guitars

(throwback...)

PatrickZ80

Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:20 am

That these ratings are highly subjective proves this article (in Dutch):

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/ ... se-airline

According to The Points Guy, Delta comes out as the best airline in the US. United comes out third, after Southwest.

Of course both lists are highly subjective and you shouldn't put any real value in them.

CraigAnderson

Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:34 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
Airlineratings.com is like the Simple Flying of airline ratings. It contradicts itself, baseless, and not really all that relevant. I'm even begging for a Skytrax and that is really saying something.

Simple Flying is a joke, a bunch of amateur aviation geeks paid by the click to rip off any and every story they can find and hash out their own third-rate version, along with constant clickbait SEO 'fake stories' which are just there to soak up clicks. Oooh, BA has moved an A380, let's write a story about it! Sorta like The Daily Mail of aviation 'reporting'.