Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyEndeavorAir
Topic Author

The Downhill Spiral of Southwest Airlines

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:25 am

I'll start by saying I started flying WN in the late 2000's, and they quickly became one of my favorite airlines. They were that quirky Texas airline that had low fares, an all 737 fleet, no fees, fantastic customer service both on the ground and in the air, and great inflight service (peanuts, pretzels, and free drinks with coupons). Over the years however, I have noticed a shift in culture, especially after the merger with AirTran,.

I no longer get singing/game playing FA's, I get formal ones that would fit in at the legacy airlines, except I have had the legacy ones provide better service.

I no longer have an on-time airline that landed early and pushed back quickly, I get an airline that doesn't care about delays or cancelling random flights.

I no longer have an airline that offers the lowest fares in the markets they serve, I get an airline that regularly prices above what the legacy carriers are charging.

I no longer have an airline that had a unique work culture and offering, I now have a very general airline that aligns itself with the average corporate America.

What in the world happened, and can we expect Southwest to return to what it once was once Gary Kelly retires and Bob Jordan takes over?

stl07

Re: The Downhill Spiral of Southwest Airlines

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:37 am

Fleet shortage
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

777luver

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:55 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
I'll start by saying I started flying WN in the late 2000's, and they quickly became one of my favorite airlines. They were that quirky Texas airline that had low fares, an all 737 fleet, no fees, fantastic customer service both on the ground and in the air, and great inflight service (peanuts, pretzels, and free drinks with coupons). Over the years however, I have noticed a shift in culture, especially after the merger with AirTran,.

I no longer get singing/game playing FA's, I get formal ones that would fit in at the legacy airlines, except I have had the legacy ones provide better service.

I no longer have an on-time airline that landed early and pushed back quickly, I get an airline that doesn't care about delays or cancelling random flights.

I no longer have an airline that offers the lowest fares in the markets they serve, I get an airline that regularly prices above what the legacy carriers are charging.

I no longer have an airline that had a unique work culture and offering, I now have a very general airline that aligns itself with the average corporate America.

What in the world happened, and can we expect Southwest to return to what it once was once Gary Kelly retires and Bob Jordan takes over?

Did people actually think that would last? It never has never will. Look at Westjet in Canada, here it started out the same way, now? It's just like every other airline out there. As will Porter who claims they won't change, yeah okay. These airlines start out differently but quickly realize that to compete they have to change their model.

flyjay123

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:11 am

I would add Virgin Atlantic to that list. Once innovative and quirky with competitive fares, but once they became the no: 2 airline .... its edge was lost.

WkndWanderer

Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:46 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

By the late 2000’s the quirkiness that you describe was already the exception, and not necessarily the norm. Their lack of presence on fare shopping sites allows them to benefit from their brand loyalty through their own e-commerce channels even when they are often more expensive. Their inflight experience has always rested on customer service, the soft and hard products have never been comprehensive, it’s just more obvious now that they operate more longer flights and the legacies have successfully segmented into four products on the same plane.

moa999

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:00 am

Start with a young fresh crew, all under 30 apart from a few seniors from other airlines.

20 years later some of those young, fresh crew will be decidedly middle aged and jaded. Not quite the 70yo with high seniority on the legacy airlines, but not far off.

Same happened in Australia with Virgin Blue which was marketed as young and hip, and then began chasing the business $ with rebrand to Virgin Australia, then went broke.

CMHtraveler

Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:19 am

Do people really drink the “culture is different here at xyz corporation” kool-aid? Decades ago business schools churning out ladder-climbers shifted philosophy from “achieve a balance for all stakeholders (investors, employees, customers)” to “your only job is to create infinitely higher returns for investors”.

It turns out that all the fun little quirks in the world don’t stand in the way of Wall Street greed, and that marketing is marketing, even when internally focused. The sole reason airline jobs are still somewhat careers and not all Breeze-style McJobs is because of high union density in the industry. It’s amazing how many people believe after all these years that they wouldn’t be replaced in a heartbeat if they dropped dead tomorrow and that people like Gary Kelly give a single sh*t about them because every break room has posters about “luv” or something.

Sheesh, capitalist propaganda and the myth of meritocracy has a powerful grip on Americans.

orlandocfi

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 am

I think the title should be changed to “The Assimilation of Southwest Airlines” because that would be a little more accurate.
The fact is, we can say “I remember when..” for just about every airline out there. SWA is no longer the quirky little airline from Texas because it’s one of the largest carriers in the world. The complaints of the OP are valid IMHO, but I think the average traveler is very different these days. They don’t want silly songs and games interrupting their streaming experience. They want a drink and a snack and to be left alone.
I’m sorry to say, but the old SWA is now just a bit of airline nostalgia that will live only in our memories.

RJNUT

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:33 am

the upside is their recent leisure destination adds! i went to school in Bellingham in the 80's and NEVER in a million years would i guess WN would have a presence there. And they have filled in some gaps at PSP with flight to LAS and , soon, SMF. so not all is bad. But i get what you are saying. OP.

Cubsrule

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:39 am

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

Several of your criticisms are valid, but these two are off base I think. WN has never offered or claimed to offer the lowest fares in all markets. What WN offers is a significant and across the board lowering of fares in markets it enters. Look at the fare environment in CMH versus DAY or CLT versus GSO and you’ll see it.

And as far as f/as, while there’s maybe a bit less singing then in years past (though it still very much exists), WN has never had f/as who provide truly exceptional service like the best legacy f/as do. One reason is that the product really isn’t conducive to that. But WN also has very, very few surly, jaded f/as, who can be quite common at other carriers.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Moosefire

Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:43 am

Correct or not, I’ve always informally connected with arrival of the latest uniform with the “new” less likable southwest.
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

ncflyer

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:00 pm

Back in the day Herb used to say that Southwest competed with buses and with people who chose to drive and/or stay home. That is so far from the truth in WN's fare structure nowadays. I find them often to be expensive compared to even the legacy carriers much of the time, let alone the ULCCs

Tn55337

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:04 pm

They still have good leg room, no bag fees and no change fees. What you see is what you get when looking at prices. Most other airlines get you on the hook with a low teaser fares and then pile on the hidden fees. I prefer flying with them in most cases for that reason.

phxa340

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:05 pm

I don’t think WN has necessarily gone downhill. They are more expensive many times but this includes free bags which many posters conveniently forget. The one thing that makes me scratch my head though is their complete lack of customer service during delays and cancellations … legacies will offer points of vouchers and WN straight up will say (to it’s elite members no less) , we don’t offer compensation … have a nice day , many times without even an apology. I know many of my co workers have given up on WN for their lack of customer service during IRROPs.

airlineworker

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:31 pm

It's getting used to the new normal. Still, WN may not offer the lowest fare but they still offer a good product, much better than airlines like Spirit. The covid crisis has changed everything for for the worse. Insane people on planes attacking crew and other passengers. Hope all these are put on a no fly list, they present a clear danger and saying I am sorry will not cut it. Banned from the air.

freakyrat

Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:54 pm

Moosefire wrote:
Correct or not, I’ve always informally connected with arrival of the latest uniform with the “new” less likable southwest.

They need to bring back the kahkis.

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:03 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

All carriers aspire to higher fares, not lower fares. The 'Southwest effect' had diminished long ago as noted in this 2013 MIT study:

https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle ... 013-07.pdf

Scheduling more than they can fly reliably and on-time isn't a behavior limited to Southwest. They're going to need to take a realistic view of new plane arrivals and staffing and schedule accordingly, even if that means foregone revenue by having more reserve planes and reserve crew.

As for friendly staff, I'll join Cubsrule. On avg, I think WN is pretty good - with a smaller fraction of jaded/cynical/worn down employees. These are tough times to work in any service business, though, with far more people acting entitled and combative.

As for fun/quirky, I fly for transportation, not entertainment.

TerminalD

Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:10 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:

The AirTran merger didn’t cause it, but was a symptom of it. With the exception of the very petty Muse Air merger, Southwest has previously merged to move into new regions. Yes, Air Tran gave them ATL gates and a few slots, but that merger had one purpose above all. Eliminate a low fare competitor from the industry, and frankly Delta and US Airways could have kissed WN for doing it. Bottom line, WN wanted low fares pushed out of Florida to the North and they paid for a merger to do it.

The fact they were willing to do that is a legacy move, not an LCC move. The kind of carrier that does that does not compete on price. Instead it’s the kind of carrier that fights not to get into Love Field, but to keep others out. Southwest is a legacy carrier. That was the final inch of the transition.

pwm2txlhopper

Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:54 pm

I never flew Southwest back in the day, only since 2013, but these days I prefer them for most of my domestic flights if they fly to where I’m going, I use to be loyal to DL, but since they got rid the the MD-88s, I’d rather just fly on Southwest instead economy on DL, UA, AA. At least I have some leg room on Southwest, Internet is cheap, crews are almost always friendly, and of course, the free checked bags are a plus. I like how they’re going for a more professional image.

FiscAutTecGarte

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:13 pm

freakyrat wrote:
They need to bring back the kahkis.

Please no.... no frumpy flight attendants in ill fitting polos, kahkis and white sneakers.

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I like how they’re going for a more professional image.

Me too. I think it sends a subtle signal to passengers that we take this serious... so behave yourselves... If only it worked in Florida...
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

freakyrat

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:40 pm

What I really miss on Southwest is the club seating they once had.

BWIAirport

Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:42 pm

I definitely see a lot of what OP is saying. It's far from a guarantee nowadays that WN will have the cheapest ticket somewhere, even out of my home airport of BWI. I haven't had a funny flight attendant in a while. But having flown WN, DL, and F9 in the past year, there's just a different feeling when flying Southwest for whatever reason. Everyone (meaning the passengers especially) seems more relaxed and friendly with each other. I can't quite put my finger on it.
SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL, FFT | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B38M B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A20N A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

TVNWZ

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:15 pm

I must be unlucky. Almost every trip lately on WN I’ve taken features the gawd awful corny jokes and banter and cheery over the top nonsense. . All in they were actually the cheapest. What am I doing wrong?

Aresxerexade

Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:48 pm

It is a good thing they are evolving. No corporation ever stays the same and survives. People and desires are always evolving. What was once “hip and cool” back when is never going to be as relevant in the future. It is not a downward spiral . Society has changed since Southwest’s inception, yea there will be nostalgic feelings of how you liked Southwest in that moment in time, but that is just it, a moment in time, time keeps moving and changing with people along with it. Gosh sometimes I wish I could just go back to when high heels and lipstick meant something. But you can’t. I think Southwest is doing just fine for the times .

MartijnNL

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:06 pm

FlyEndeavorAir wrote:
(...) and great inflight service (peanuts, pretzels, and free drinks with coupons).

What's so great about peanuts and pretzels? And free drinks with coupons? That sounds just sad. KLM still serves complimentary hot meals, multiple drinks and dessert in economy class on flights over two hours. I know they are the exception, but I am always annoyed when cabin crew hand out pretzels.

Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:10 pm

I've only flown Southwest since Midwest went belly up.

Their fares are generally price competitive when you include bags. My carry-on is medical equipment - and I must check bags.

I find their staff to be well above average compared to American and United. American, Delta, and United have gotten me to my destination or home far later than any of my experiences with Southwest; not to mention lost and misplaced luggage (it took Delta almost a week to find my luggage a few years ago - and it apparently arrived in Milwaukee the same day on the next flight after mine).

I rate Southwest well worth their fares and their people generally top notch compared to my other experiences. I never experienced he historical Southwest experience. But, I'll take the most recent experiences I have had with them over American, Delta, and United.

Chemist

Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:25 am

I'll almost always fly WN before the other 3 legacies. As an AA million miler. WN has better crew, no nickel and dime fees, no change fees, better coach legroom, smoother boarding. They also allow me to avoid LAX by using a different area airport most of the time.

Max Q

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:05 am

Personally I can do without singing / wannabe comedian or otherwise attention seeking ‘quirky’ flight attendants, I think they forget their primary function is passenger safety and these antics distract from that

Never liked that about Southwest and that’s not what the job is, a calm, professional but friendly demeanor is what I look for and most passengers appreciate
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

ck8msp

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:59 pm

You can always watch the A&E series Airline to relive a more nostalgic time post-911 and pre-2008 recession. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_( ... _TV_series)

Quite entertaining and I doubt any carrier would ever allow such a series to be filmed anymore.

qantas330

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:43 pm

Recently flew Southwest for the first time in years - so was interested to see how the crew were on the flight.

The lead flight attendant at the door was a very friendly lady - one older guy made no eye contact with any customer at all and I never saw him actually say anything - he just looked totally miserable and the guy at the rear was very chatty and friendly.

Boarding was pretty chaotic - one gate agent boarding everyone including pushing 7 wheelchairs to the aircraft door so boarding took a long time resulting in delays. Maybe short of ground staff.

WesternDC6B

Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:57 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
I must be unlucky. Almost every trip lately on WN I’ve taken features the gawd awful corny jokes and banter and cheery over the top nonsense. . All in they were actually the cheapest. What am I doing wrong?

I had one of WN's clowns stop me at the door and press something firmly on my upper left arm. He then informed me it was a device for another security check and to please step aside.

I recognized the "security device" as a hand-held credit card reader. I just locked my eyes on his and stared him down. I'm 6-1, 265, and look like an aging Viking. He - 5-7 and maybe 150, stepped aside and let me board with no further comment.

I brought this up with the lead stew, and was met with a comment that I couldn't take a joke. You're absolutely right I can't, sweetie.

During a cabin announcement he asked if we'd "like to see a chocolate shake" then did a stupid dance in the aisle.

I felt this was a bit much.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

Max Q

Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:31 am

WesternDC6B wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

I had one of WN's clowns stop me at the door and press something firmly on my upper left arm. He then informed me it was a device for another security check and to please step aside.

I recognized the "security device" as a hand-held credit card reader. I just locked my eyes on his and stared him down. I'm 6-1, 265, and look like an aging Viking. He - 5-7 and maybe 150, stepped aside and let me board with no further comment.

I brought this up with the lead stew, and was met with a comment that I couldn't take a joke. You're absolutely right I can't, sweetie.

During a cabin announcement he asked if we'd "like to see a chocolate shake" then did a stupid dance in the aisle.

I couldn’t agree more

GGg

UA444

Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:21 am

They’ve always been Air Walmart to me.

Chemist

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:19 pm

I don't agree WN is Walmart.
F9 and NK are WalMart.
WN is Target.
The big 3 are like Macy's - upscale merch, but you can't find anybody to help you.

Max Q

Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:55 pm

UA444 wrote:
They’ve always been Air Walmart to me.

Agree,

Actually I think Spirit is more like the dollar store

GGg

n92r03

Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:13 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
They don’t want silly songs and games interrupting their streaming experience. They want a drink and a snack and to be left alone.

Amen.

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:05 pm

Spirit to Southwest, here, hold my beer….. LOL! Except it isn’t funny to all those caught in the mess….my compassion to you
I am me and no one else...so my opinions are mine

UPNYGuy

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:40 pm

orlandocfi wrote:
I think the title should be changed to “The Assimilation of Southwest Airlines” because that would be a little more accurate.
The fact is, we can say “I remember when..” for just about every airline out there. SWA is no longer the quirky little airline from Texas because it’s one of the largest carriers in the world. The complaints of the OP are valid IMHO, but I think the average traveler is very different these days. They don’t want silly songs and games interrupting their streaming experience. They want a drink and a snack and to be left alone.
I’m sorry to say, but the old SWA is now just a bit of airline nostalgia that will live only in our memories.

THIS!!! I used to avoid southwest BECAUSE of this. The FA schtick would frequently annoy me. I am glad it is gone and they have taken a more formal approach. I fly to get where i am going. It is a mode of transportation. No more, no less. I dont want to see singing staff roll TP down the aisle.

UPNYGuy

Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:47 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
TVNWZ wrote:

2006ish a flight from ALB-MDW had a female FA that made an inappropriate joke about a vibrator, and that was my last straw for years. It was something like "Ladies i better not hear any humming, as those electronics are prohibited too." The woman next to me got pissed. She was sitting with a little boy and he was asking her questions about what it meant. When I landed at MDW, I called corporate and complained. I advised the lady next to me to do the same.

WesternDC6B

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:01 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
2006ish a flight from ALB-MDW had a female FA that made an inappropriate joke about a vibrator, and that was my last straw for years. It was something like "Ladies i better not hear any humming, as those electronics are prohibited too." The woman next to me got pissed. She was sitting with a little boy and he was asking her questions about what it meant. When I landed at MDW, I called corporate and complained. I advised the lady next to me to do the same.

-sigh- I'm old enough to remember when that word referred to a component used in tube-type electronics that had only low voltage DC available as a power source.
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

Chemist

Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:42 pm

This entire thread is funny when the singing FAs are on few flights, on the only airline to be consistently profitable for decades.
"Oh my ears don't want to hear humor from my crew!". Definitely a first world problem.

Now read about Spirit's operational meltdown and there's a downward spiral for you.

stl07

Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:18 pm

Chemist wrote:
I'll almost always fly WN before the other 3 legacies. As an AA million miler. WN has better crew, no nickel and dime fees, no change fees, better coach legroom, smoother boarding. They also allow me to avoid LAX by using a different area airport most of the time.

That's another big one with WN. I can fly STL-LGB or SNA nonstop
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

F27500

Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:37 pm

.. so .. re: Southwest's "downward spiral" .. Spirit just this past week said "Hold My Beer" !

Max Q

Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:54 am

Chemist wrote:
This entire thread is funny when the singing FAs are on few flights, on the only airline to be consistently profitable for decades.
"Oh my ears don't want to hear humor from my crew!". Definitely a first world problem.

Now read about Spirit's operational meltdown and there's a downward spiral for you.

Wal Mart has record profits but I don’t shop there

GGg