Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fry530
Topic Author

Traveling To Mexico With US Passport That Expires Soon

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:08 pm

Mods, feel free to move if this is the wrong forum.

I am scheduled to fly Volaris on August 11th DEN-GDL and then returning on the 18th MEX-DEN. My passport expires on September 11th. I have read numerous sources that say that Mexico does not require 6 months validity on US passports and only require it to be valid during the travel dates, which it will be. I traveled to Mexico in May which would have been within the less than 6 month window and had no issues.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Will I be ok to board the flight?

BWIAirport

Re: Traveling To Mexico With US Passport That Expires Soon

Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:12 pm

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington ... ay%20apply.
Passport must be valid for the duration of your trip, no six month requirement from this website. I've gotten into some trouble with this, so good on you to check first.

fry530
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:18 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/washington/index.php/ligavisos/15-informacion/182-visas-english#:~:text=The%20Mexican%20government%20only%20requires,for%20passports%20that%20may%20apply.
Passport must be valid for the duration of your trip, no six month requirement from this website. I've gotten into some trouble with this, so good on you to check first.

Thanks! I am thinking I will print that off just in case. I have been trying to contact Volaris to check and they are a pain to get a hold of. We will see

PI4EVR

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:08 am

Note it does say that the United States does require a six month validity period for travel dates. That rules also applies to cruise passengers, and we advise customers that a passport must be valid for 6 months beyond cruise travel dates.
It is unlikely you will be able to renew your passport prior to your travel date due to backlog and demand, but you should clarify this prior to day of travel. Go to the airport and speak with airline staff or customs/TSA staff to be sure and safe.

eta unknown

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:20 am

There is no expiry requirement if you are returning directly to your own country on that country's passport.

fry530
Topic Author

Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:57 pm

To give an update, if anyone cares, just got back from the trip with zero issues. It seems quite a lot of other countries do require 6 months validity, so if you are traveling to others it would be wise to check.