Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ilive4planes
Topic Author

Future International Airlines for ORD

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:04 pm

With ORD expanding the International Terminal what Airlines do you guys think ORD will get in future?

pipeafcr

Re: Future International Airlines for ORD

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm

I see Avianca making a comeback from both BOG and SAL

ORD Boy 2

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:46 pm

LY announced services to TLV and I can not see them ignoring ORD forever or letting UA have the ORD-TLV market, especially if they can nail down a code share.

rjbesikof

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:04 pm

I see SQ coming to ORD if the A359s can do it.

ilive4planes
Topic Author

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:48 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
I see SQ coming to ORD if the A359s can do it.

If Singapore has the A359ULR

Cubsrule

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 pm

Is there any carrier who has wanted to get in but unable to secure appropriate gate space? I know Terminal 5 is tight but I'm not aware of that actually having happened.

Fuling

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 pm

QF has had it's eye on ORD for a while now. They've tried to get in twice actually - opened it for bookings but then something came up and plans were cancelled (9/11 and Covid).

LAXdude1023

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:16 pm

Considering the time were in, I wouldnt expect much to anywhere unless its ethnic or leisure related.

From whats been suggested so far:

AV: they are heavily entrenched in ethnic travel right now. Chicago has a small Colombian population and a smaller Salvadoran population. I dont see what it adds.

LY: this is more realistic I think. Its was a sizable market pre-pandemic and TLV is faring better than most international destinations.

QF: Australia is years away from recovery. Theyll be lucky to hold onto LAX at this rate much less any other destination.

SQ: Their restrictions are extremely tight and they havent really had the pandemic wash over them badly just yet. I cant see it anytime soon.

EISHN

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:45 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
AV: they are heavily entrenched in ethnic travel right now. Chicago has a small Colombian population and a smaller Salvadoran population. I dont see what it adds.

They’re great for connections to the rest of South America. BOG is a clean and modern airport, very easy to connect through.
I flew them in 2019 to MVD. It was a red eye to BOG on an A320. The flight was pleasant with AVOD, friendly crews and a clean and comfortable cabin.

LAXdude1023

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:05 pm

EISHN wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

They’re great for connections to the rest of South America. BOG is a clean and modern airport, very easy to connect through.
I flew them in 2019 to MVD. It was a red eye to BOG on an A320. The flight was pleasant with AVOD, friendly crews and a clean and comfortable cabin.

South America travel is very depressed right now. I think the fact that it didn’t work before the pandemic when travel was at a high doesn’t bode well for it now.

Rookie87

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:33 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
EISHN wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

South America travel is very depressed right now. I think the fact that it didn’t work before the pandemic when travel was at a high doesn’t bode well for it now.

I wouldn’t necessarily count on that assumption just yet.

There’s a big group of people working from home that have more flexibility to travel than ever before. Most of them have been grabbing their laptops etc and flying off wherever they can.

jfk777

Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:18 am

Surely ORD will pick up something, however Chicago is already well flown by almost every international airline of significance with the exception of Virgin Atlantic. Every major European airlines flies there. Both Japanese and Korean airlines fly there as do the Big 3 Chinese. Cathay Pacific & EVA do too. The ME3 fly there as well. There isn't much left to fly to ORD that doesn't already. Ok LATAM doesn't fly there, given their change of alliance from AA to Delta and their current financial situation they won't see ORD for a long time. When the world normalizes, ANZ and Qantas.

LAXdude1023

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:38 am

Rookie87 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
EISHN wrote:

There’s a big group of people working from home that have more flexibility to travel than ever before. Most of them have been grabbing their laptops etc and flying off wherever they can.

That demographic isn’t going to pay for the cost of the flight.

Rookie87

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:17 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

What’s that demographic then?

stlgph

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:32 am

Air Serbia?

LAXdude1023

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:53 am

Rookie87 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

What’s that demographic then?

People going to South America to work remotely.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:38 am

stlgph wrote:
Air Serbia?

I don't think so, they only got one aircraft that can fly this route (an A330) and that's used for serving JFK.

In that case maybe Aeroflot would be a better guess. Not very likely either but at least they got a fleet that can do it and I guess the demand between Russia and Chicago is bigger than the demand between Serbia and Chicago. There are hardly any flights between Russia and the USA, there's got to be some market there.

tjwgrr

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:57 pm

NZ return to ORD?

seat1a

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:52 pm

Braniff III to Bogota and Manaus.